Name your best starting 11 including the new signings

NZT-One

Not only that, we will also do it with not one, but two no10s on the pitch at the same time.
Totally. It's as if the last years didn't happen... Always go for shiny Glamour, technique, Flair and sophistication. Put on all the attackers and then try to even it out by splashing 100 millions on a player like Rice who is then supposed to do defense with 2 CBs and one FB (because we want them modern and attacking of course). I mean, I kind of like the enthusiasm about the fans, hoping for the best, hoping new players will show to be suitable for different roles than they are used to (Bruno or Eriksen as CM), wanting younglings like Iqbal or Garner to succeed but, to be perfectly honest: I think, we are not doing any of the young players any favours because all the time, the pressure is at its peak and it is success or failure only for the next batch of talent to appear that will have to bear the expectations from then on.

But, to get back to the topic of the thread, strongest eleven for me currently:

DDG

Dalot
Maguire
Lindelof (with one of the two making room for Martinez in the next 2-3 weeks)
Shaw (trying to shift towards Malacia)

Fred
McTominay
Eriksen

Sancho
Martial
Rashford

Kag

The idea that you can’t play Eriksen alongside Bruno, but that you can play McTominay is preposterous. Both players are suited towards the exact same role. McTominay, in spite of what some people have deluded themselves into believing, is no deep lying midfielder. If anything, Eriksen would be more suited to doing that job.

If you’re arguing for Fred, McTominay and Bruno then you can’t well shit upon the idea of Fred, Eriksen and Bruno.

Olecurls99

I find it quite suprising, that people on here seem to think, that we, with a new manager in his first year, after one of the worst seasons for quite some time, will be able to not only implement a completely different style of play (purposeful possession oriented) but even evolve it in a way that no defensive midfielder will be needed anymore. There are talks about Iqbal, Garner, Bruno and Eriksen next to each other... Even if FDJ joins - he went to Barca to replace Busquets, didn't do it. So a defensive minded player seems to be some sort of necessity - looking at Barca, Real, Bayern, Juve, Milan, Inter, City, Liverpool. But we will somehow make it work without one. Chelsea gets it done sometimes, but they played with 3atb and, if needed, they have a player like Kante to come in...Our very own manager played a very traditional DM until a few weeks ago at Ajax.
I suppose people are looking at the idea of purposeful possession and are weighing up Scotty versus Eriksen and are opting for the latter. Makes sense to me.

We don't have a top DM in the squad so people on here are trying to pick a team based on what we have.

Kag

De Gea
Dalot Maguire Martinez Shaw
Eriksen Fred Bruno
Sancho Martial Rashford

Anyhow, that’s probably our most likely starting line up. Ideally, Varane would be fit enough to displace Maguire, and Ronaldo will get minutes ahead of Martial, but that’s about as good as it’s getting.

It’s not good enough to challenge, and the depth isn’t enough to guarantee fourth place. We’re an injury to a couple of attacking players away from playing the likes of Elanga and Chong.

Jesus, our transfer business has been shite.

NZT-One

The idea that you can’t play Eriksen alongside Bruno, but that you can play McTominay is preposterous. Both players are suited towards the exact same role. McTominay, in spite of what some people have deluded themselves into believing, is no deep lying midfielder. If anything, Eriksen would be more suited to doing that job.

If you’re arguing for Fred, McTominay and Bruno then you can’t well shit upon the idea of Fred, Eriksen and Bruno.
Just to be sure: I don't say, it is impossible for Eriksen to play that, the question is, how well is he suited for the role. He has played AM for Brentford last year. What I have seen from Inter, he did play AM there as well. And pressing and being defensive minded unfortunately isn't the same thing. I think, Eriksen is lacking some strength, stamina and physicality for that. Which isn't a dig at the player, he is great, lets play him, where he is known to be a good player.

I suppose people are looking at the idea of purposeful possession and are weighing up Scotty versus Eriksen and are opting for the latter. Makes sense to me.

We don't have a top DM in the squad so people on here are trying to pick a team based on what we have.
Thats certainly true. For the record, this isn't some sort of McTom vs Eriksen, both have their uses, but I think, we will experience issues, if we really start to appear so top-heavy. I mean, pre-season is pre-season but the last 3 results showed us, where we are and how opponents will deal with that. Don't think, this won't continue unfortunately.
From my point of view, we are best going with McFred into the season, a known functional midfield. Lets see what ETHs magic can do to them, lets see, what Eriksen infront of them might do other than Bruno, lets see how Martinez can fit in.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
We are we pretending eriksen wasn't pochs key presser in one of the league's best presses outside of klopp and pep ?
No, but we're not pretending he can do that in midfield two in current state/age for United, as he always played in midfield three as all evidence suggests. Therefore he will do his share of pressing from no10 position with two supporting midfielders behind him.

Eriksen has been doing completely different job at Brentford, Inter and Tottenham, the most attacking midfielder surrounded by two supporting midfielders, so it's hardly the same to what McTominay has been doing for us.

We just need a different kind of player in midfield, more defensive oriented, and frankly speaking it would be a waste to make Eriksen do the dirty job. We sure can do it though, I just hope this is not the plan because we've been there before and failed.

Red4Life_#7

Would love this!

--------------------De Gea
Dalot----Varane---Martinez---Shaw
----------------------Fred
---------Eriksen-----------Bruno
Sancho--------------------------- Martial
-------------------Ronaldo

Woziak

Would love this!

Dalot----Varane---Martinez---Shaw
----------------------Fred
---------Eriksen-----------Bruno
Sancho--------------------------- Martial
Really like this team however Ronaldo heart is no longer here, Varane needs to stay fit for period of time and Rashford and Martial should start together as they seem to link up well

BlueHaze

Deeply concerned that 90% have Dalot in their starting XI. He's the worst option out of them all. Literally 0 football iq. Receive ball, run 3 yards, look down, put in an aimless shite cross. Rinse and repeat. I'd start Garnacho on the left and Sancho on the right but whom as a striker I have no clue.

Crashoutcassius

No, but we're not pretending he can do that in midfield two in current state/age for United, as he always played in midfield three as all evidence suggests. Therefore he will do his share of pressing from no10 position with two supporting midfielders behind him.
He might , or he can operate from wide right as he did at spurs.

There is a question over whether his body is finished. It showed signs of decline even at spurs, due to the work poch put him through. But he is far more versatile than given credit for here.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
I cant be bothered naming players based on what we have now because it would make me think "thats not very good is it"

We are so light in attacking position it really worries me

-----------------De Gea-------------
?????--Maguire--Martinez--Malacia
-------------------Fred------------------
--------Eriksen--------Bruno-------------
???????-------------------------Sancho
---------------???????------------------------

Borys

Statistics Wizard

There is a question over whether his body is finished. It showed signs of decline even at spurs, due to the work poch put him through. But he is far more versatile than given credit for here.
This is what I want to see. Put him on the right, Fred on the left, and just get someone who can play in center and we're good for now. Not even a "top DM", just someone competent, de Jong or else.

Strelok

Yeah you're right. I don't watch Spurs much but imo it's true that Eriksen was a hybrid between an attacking midfielder, a wide right midfielder and center midfielder under Poch the few times I watched them. Their more true #10 back then was actually Dele (he was fantastic back then).

It looked like this if my memory serves me right:

Wanama/Dembele
Eriksen/Dele/Son
Kane

But I still remember in their building phase he would drop into the midfield from that wide position so they'd have a numerical advantage to beat the press and progress the ball.

Anyway it's been ages and I don't watch Spurs much so I might be wrong.

Kag

Eriksen has been doing completely different job at Brentford, Inter and Tottenham, the most attacking midfielder surrounded by two supporting midfielders, so it's hardly the same to what McTominay has been doing for us.

We just need a different kind of player in midfield, more defensive oriented, and frankly speaking it would be a waste to make Eriksen do the dirty job. We sure can do it though, I just hope this is not the plan because we've been there before and failed.
McTominay plays deeper, but that doesn’t mean he should. There’s a reason that Ten Hag hasn’t had him anywhere near the central defenders during pre season and it’s the reason why both he and Eriksen will be competing for the spot alongside Bruno and Fred (De Jong). You might not like it, but Ten Hag clearly doesn’t really care for the idea that his midfielders need to be defensive. Eriksen isn’t going to playing as a #10 here.

Longshanks

A fred/eriksen/bruno midfield would get dominated physically in the PL. Add into the fact we likely have martinez in one of the CB posistions we would have a massive issue with high and second balls in the middle of the pitch. Our press would become pointless as teams would happily hit high balls into that area knowing they have a good chance of winning the first ball and a better chance of winning the second ball.

Mctom has to play as he is our only midfielder with aggression and physicality its then basically a question of 2 out of bruno, fred, v.d.b and eriksen as to who joins him in midfield.

DSG

I cant be bothered naming players based on what we have now because it would make me think "thats not very good is it"

We are so light in attacking position it really worries me

-----------------De Gea-------------
?????--Maguire--Martinez--Malacia
-------------------Fred------------------
--------Eriksen--------Bruno-------------
???????-------------------------Sancho
---------------???????------------------------
Absolutely blows my mind that 95% of the Caf has decided that Diogo Dalot is the answer at RB.

He’s comfortably our worst defender, and possibly the worst defending RB in the league. The fact that ETH is starting him and has made no effort to address our RB situation during the summer is appalling. Meanwhile, he spent money on a 3rd LB when Shaw seems adequate to me. It wasn’t much, but still.

If Dalot makes 30 appearances or more, I predict we’ll ship a lot of goals. Just watch how much space he gave Felix against Atletico — he just has no clue when it comes to defending. AWB offers next to nothing as a pinched in RB, a little more if he stays wide, but at least he is solid in1v1s as a defender.

Strelok

Absolutely blows my mind that 95% of the Caf has decided that Diogo Dalot is the answer at RB.
I think you're mistaking a bit here. OP asks us to name the XI from all the available players not what we still need. That's another thread.

Agreed that Dalot is pretty shit defensively though.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
--------------------DDG------------
Dalot--------Maguire---Martinez-----Malacia
------------------------------Fred----------------------
--------------------McTominay--------------------
----------------Eriksen--------------------------------
-----------------------------------------Bruno--------------
Sancho--------------Martial-------------------------

Borys

Statistics Wizard
McTominay plays deeper, but that doesn’t mean he should. There’s a reason that Ten Hag hasn’t had him anywhere near the central defenders during pre season and it’s the reason why both he and Eriksen will be competing for the spot alongside Bruno and Fred (De Jong). You might not like it, but Ten Hag clearly doesn’t really care for the idea that his midfielders need to be defensive. Eriksen isn’t going to playing as a #10 here.
The only thing I don't like is using players in role which don't suit them. And if we're going to play Fred behind Eriksen and Bruno, all of them will suffer. This is not the way to go for a number of reasons.
Also there's a difference between "doesn't care about the idea of defensive midfielders" and "I'm going to play two attacking midfielders in Central areas". It's about balance and how to utilise the players we have.

GreatDane

Deeply concerned that 90% have Dalot in their starting XI. He's the worst option out of them all. Literally 0 football iq. Receive ball, run 3 yards, look down, put in an aimless shite cross. Rinse and repeat. I'd start Garnacho on the left and Sancho on the right but whom as a striker I have no clue.
So who would you place on RB out of the ones available?

Red_toad

Going off pre-season form, I'd say.

Dave
Dalot, Harry, Martinez, Shaw
Fred, Eriksen
?
Sancho Rashford
Martial
Have probably performed the best over the pre-season. Bruno and Donny haven't done much at all, so that advanced midfield role is a puzzle as to who is going to take it.

Lebo

If we play Eriksen in midfield it means we have not learnt anything from Pogba situation. And make no mistake about it, Eriksen is far worse defensively than PP who was quite poor anyway in midfield off the ball.
I will be shocked if that's the intension to use Eriksen in deep midfield.
Definitely not for United. Pogba hardly won tackles or intercepted anything based on the games I watched . I doubt it’s even realistic for anyone to do worse. I don’t have the stats to back it up though

Crashoutcassius

Yeah you're right. I don't watch Spurs much but imo it's true that Eriksen was a hybrid between an attacking midfielder, a wide right midfielder and center midfielder under Poch the few times I watched them. Their more true #10 back then was actually Dele (he was fantastic back then).

It looked like this if my memory serves me right:

Wanama/Dembele
Eriksen/Dele/Son
Kane

But I still remember in their building phase he would drop into the midfield from that wide position so they'd have a numerical advantage to beat the press and progress the ball.

Anyway it's been ages and I don't watch Spurs much so I might be wrong.
I think you are spot on. And I think dele alli and Bruno could be very similar in terms of role. Ziyech at Ajax was more of a wide play maker. I think we could get a lot out of eriksen at right wing, it wouldn't necessarily hurt our press, and could even open up good space for dalot if he is our preferred option.

Olecurls99

I think you are spot on. And I think dele alli and Bruno could be very similar in terms of role. Ziyech at Ajax was more of a wide play maker. I think we could get a lot out of eriksen at right wing, it wouldn't necessarily hurt our press, and could even open up good space for dalot if he is our preferred option.
Good point

Giggsy13

Staying optimistic with de Jong:

De Gea

Dalot Maguire Martinez Shaw

Fred de Jong

Sancho Bruno Rashford

Martial

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster

He’s comfortably our worst defender, and possibly the worst defending RB in the league. The fact that ETH is starting him and has made no effort to address our RB situation during the summer is appalling. Meanwhile, he spent money on a 3rd LB when Shaw seems adequate to me. It wasn’t much, but still.

If Dalot makes 30 appearances or more, I predict we’ll ship a lot of goals. Just watch how much space he gave Felix against Atletico — he just has no clue when it comes to defending. AWB offers next to nothing as a pinched in RB, a little more if he stays wide, but at least he is solid in1v1s as a defender.
Yep I'm with you on that. Absolutely useless the both of them. Would rather see him play Shaw there or malacia and the other left back....

Probably not easy but just go and spend 40 mil on lamptey and get it sorted. Smallest back line in the world probably then though

Strelok

Yeah agreed. Spurs back then usually push their FB very high too I think.

DSG

I think you're mistaking a bit here. OP asks us to name the XI from all the available players not what we still need. That's another thread.

Agreed that Dalot is pretty shit defensively though.
Watching Dalot defend against the likes of Grealish/Foden, Diaz/Jota, Son, Pulisic/Mount/Werner/Sterling, Martinelli, hell, Barnes, Neto, Zaha, St. Maximin makes me want to vomit in my mouth.

I think I’d rather sacrifice offense and possession over trying to turn Dalot into a capable defender.

AdNani

Watching Dalot defend against the likes of Grealish/Foden, Diaz/Jota, Son, Pulisic/Mount/Werner/Sterling, Martinelli, hell, Barnes, Neto, Zaha, St. Maximin makes me want to vomit in my mouth.

I think I’d rather sacrifice offense and possession over trying to turn Dalot into a capable defender.
I'm struggling to see how Watching AWB be constantly out of position, whilst also killing all possible chance of attacks down the right side is any better, he's honking defensively as well, even if he can slide tackle well.

------------------------De Gea--------------
Dalot-------Maguire----Martinez----Shaw
----------------McTominay---Fred-----------
Sancho---------Fernandes----Rashford
---------------------Martial---------------------

Changes by the end of the transfer window, with any luck:
- De Jong instead of McTominay
- Varane, having gone a few weeks without breaking, instead of Maguire

And if Ronaldo's still around past deadline day, I wouldn't mind seeing a 4-4-2 with him and Martial up front now and then. One each of Sancho/Eriksen and Fernandes/Rashford on the right and left.

Strelok

Then you can pick AWB mate :D

DSG

Yep I'm with you on that. Absolutely useless the both of them. Would rather see him play Shaw there or malacia and the other left back....

Probably not easy but just go and spend 40 mil on lamptey and get it sorted. Smallest back line in the world probably then though
I’d rather have a lot of RBs over Dalot: Lamptey, Cash, Livramento, Coufal, Justin, Doherty, Semedo… not to mention the top tier RBs like TAA, James, Cancelo, etc. I mean, seriously, there has to be a £15-20m RB somewhere in Europe that could come in as a stop gap.

ClassOf'99

Super optimistic line-up:

Laird----Varane---Martinez---Malacia
----------------------De Jong
---------Eriksen-----------Fred
Sancho--------------------------- Garnacho

ROFLUTION

There’s gotta be some defender out there on the market to help us out so we dont have to play Dalot week in, week out.

Even Jones is a better option imo

DSG

I'm struggling to see how Watching AWB be constantly out of position, whilst also killing all possible chance of attacks down the right side is any better, he's honking defensively as well, even if he can slide tackle well.
Dalot’s positioning is horrific as well, mate. And he has less speed than AWB, he’s incredibly easy to turn and can’t tackle. And Dalot isn’t exactly TAA in attack. His decision making is poor (cue long range shot blasted over bar) and is a poor crosser. The only things he offers beyond AWB is that he can execute a pass up to 10 yards and he’s more two footed.

It’s like choosing between a shit sandwich and a crap taco.