Varane
Martinez
Shaw
Fred
Eriksen
Bruno
Sancho
Martial

Thats the best line up IMO. You can play 3 at the back or 4-2-3-1 with Martinez in midfield. If we keep the McFred midfield we are going to fail again this season.

Kag

The only thing I don't like is using players in role which don't suit them. And if we're going to play Fred behind Eriksen and Bruno, all of them will suffer. This is not the way to go for a number of reasons.
Also there's a difference between "doesn't care about the idea of defensive midfielders" and "I'm going to play two attacking midfielders in Central areas". It's about balance and how to utilise the players we have.
Ten Hag appears to like Fred in that deeper role, at least until we actually buy somebody better.

Dannn411

De Gea, Dalot, Varane, Martinez, Shaw, Fred, Eriksen, Iqbal, Bruno, Sancho, Martial. 4-3-2-1.

Croftona7

Is that you Harry?
Haha that did make me laugh!

I just personally haven't seen a single United game yet where I've come away thinking Varane stood out or played better than any other defender.

By all means name his best games and I'll go watch the highlights and come back and say I was wrong if required.

Folk are picking him based on his name and his past record but has he improved us since he arrived? He hasn't.

For me he plays like he's had his successful career already, next to better players who made him look better than he actually is.

Show me the evidence of his class in a United shirt so far and I'm happy to back down and shamelessly change my opinion!

I'll wait.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Ten Hag appears to like Fred in that deeper role, at least until we actually buy somebody better.
Well it's a bit of a stretch to say ETH likes Fred in that deeper role, since he doesn't have many other options.
I will give it time until the end of the month, If by September we still see Fred in this role I will admit this is what Ten Hag wants to see.

Olecurls99

I just personally haven't seen a single United game yet where I've come away thinking Varane stood out or played better than any other defender.

By all means name his best games and I'll go watch the highlights and come back and say I was wrong if required.

Folk are picking him based on his name and his past record but has he improved us since he arrived? He hasn't.

For me he plays like he's had his successful career already, next to better players who made him look better than he actually is.

Show me the evidence of his class in a United shirt so far and I'm happy to back down and shamelessly change my opinion!

I'll wait.

There's a compilation. I'll get you specific games if you like.

MrSingh2002

I'll wait.
I saw him live on a couple of home games early on when he joined and he was quite good. Also his first away games for us were good too. Yes he dropped off during the season but it could be linked to a season where he had a few injuries too.

He was a new player joining a team whose season imploded and he had to play with Maguire often who was also having a poor season which is never going to help.

This season I'd put my money on him having the best partnership with Martinez. Other people can feel differently but after the season Maguire had for us I'm surprised I see his name mentioned as much in the first 11 lineups.

Maguires never reached the heights that Varane has and if he's going to have an injury free run I'd give him the first run of games with Martinez and bring in Lindelof and Maguire as rotation players.

Varane and Martinez have probably got the highest ceiling as a partnership so I think that's where we should go first.

Red4Life_#7

Really like this team however Ronaldo heart is no longer here, Varane needs to stay fit for period of time and Rashford and Martial should start together as they seem to link up well
Ronaldo has had lots of personal problems in recent months. One thing his professionalism can't be doubted, he will out score everyone this season in our team again. Martial or Rashford have never scored 25 goals in a season for the club in 7+ years.

Varane is a problem, he really needs to stay fit.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Rashford Martial Sancho
Eriksen Bruno
Fred
Malacia/Shaw Martinez Maguire Dalot
De Gea​

Honestly, Shaw/Malacia to me is the only position right now that is up in the air. To start the season, it'll be lindelof for Martinez and Mctominay in for Eriksen and going 4231 (with Malacia starting) due to the fitness of some of them, but I think the above will be our go to if nothing significant happens this summer. Some talk for Sesko to replace Ronaldo, so he would turn into the first attacking sub if any of the front 3 drop, Bruno will rotate among the attackers as well with McTominay or Donny or Garner coming into the midfield depending on situation. Varane will have to fight for his spot back, but I think we have a healthy group of 4 for centerbacks. Just get rid of the dead wood.

Our most problematic area currently is Wan Bissaka as backup for Dalot as he just doesn't seem motivated as a backup (might be fine though), and then our lack of depth in attack. A winger to rotate in would go a long way IMO.

manclad1256

De gea
Dalot Varane Martinez Malacia
Fred Bruno Eriksen
Sancho Ronaldo Martial

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Rashford----------Martial------------Sancho
------------------Fernandez-------------------------
------------Martinez-----McT---------------------
Shaw------Maguire-----Varane-----Dalot
---------------------De Gea----------------------------

Fred in place of McT for non Top 4 teams.

gza the genius

DDG
Dalot - Maguire - Martinez - Shaw - Malacia
Eriksen - Fred
Sancho - Rashford - Bruno

I don’t think we’ll ever see this but it’s something I’d like to try. I think without a new midfielder a back 5 is our best bet, let Martinez and Shaw step in to the midfield if needed. Fred would take the FDJ role of receiving and advancing the ball forward and Eriksen as sort’ve a DLP.

I struggled with the front 3 quite a bit…

Bruno has to start so opted for him over Martial. I didn’t really want Bruno as a false 9 so pushed him wide. I don’t really trust that Martial is going to ever be reliable for us and I’m not quite at that point with Rashford yet so I went with Rashford up top but you could easily put Martial or Ronaldo there based on form.

I think something like this gets the most players on the pitch that should fit in to how ETH wants us to play. It’s our most mobile, technical and hard working group of players.

dutchred

De Gea
Dallot Maguire Martinez Malacia
Fred De Jong {Garner]
Eriksen
Sancho Martial Rasfford

DSG

Rashford Martial Sancho
Eriksen Bruno
Fred
Malacia/Shaw Martinez Maguire Dalot
De Gea​

Honestly, Shaw/Malacia to me is the only position right now that is up in the air. To start the season, it'll be lindelof for Martinez and Mctominay in for Eriksen and going 4231 (with Malacia starting) due to the fitness of some of them, but I think the above will be our go to if nothing significant happens this summer. Some talk for Sesko to replace Ronaldo, so he would turn into the first attacking sub if any of the front 3 drop, Bruno will rotate among the attackers as well with McTominay or Donny or Garner coming into the midfield depending on situation. Varane will have to fight for his spot back, but I think we have a healthy group of 4 for centerbacks. Just get rid of the dead wood.

Our most problematic area currently is Wan Bissaka as backup for Dalot as he just doesn't seem motivated as a backup (might be fine though), and then our lack of depth in attack. A winger to rotate in would go a long way IMO.
Be prepared to concede a ton of goals with that setup. Dalot is probably the worst defending fullback in the league, and Fred in all his years here, has never been reliable as a single pivot / DM. He’s a box-to-box midfielder who has the positional sense of a gnat.

Assuming the De Jong chase is over:
DDG

Anyone but Diogo Dalot
Varane
Maguire/Martinez
Shaw

Garner (more hope than anything here… He hasn’t played enough in preseason)
Fred
Bruno

Sancho
Ronaldo
Rashford

Hughie77

So our new signing Malacia not even on the bench?
I put him on the bench as well seeing as he's just arrived, and Telles is off and let's hope another cm and striker is in by end of window.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Be prepared to concede a ton of goals with that setup. Dalot is probably the worst defending fullback in the league, and Fred in all his years here, has never been reliable as a single pivot / DM. He’s a box-to-box midfielder who has the positional sense of a gnat.

Assuming the De Jong chase is over:
DDG

Anyone but Diogo Dalot
Varane
Maguire/Martinez
Shaw

Garner (more hope than anything here… He hasn’t played enough in preseason)
Fred
Bruno

Sancho
Ronaldo
Rashford
Dalot really is not bad. Milan liked him a lot when they took him on loan, he is the backup for Cancelo in Portugal's national team, and Ten Hag clearly likes him. He's also young, and young full backs tend to improve with age. Defensively he's no worse than Wan Bissaka at everything other than just straight up 1 v 1 defending, which is that guys only quality.

Anyway - I agree the midfield is too light otherwise, but it'll be game by game. Games where Ten Hag feels we can dominate without the added solidity he'll probably pair Bruno with Eriksen. Other times, Donny or McTominay might come in, or if Garner progresses as you say.

Dazzmondo

I think it's pretty obvious with the exception of left back tbh.

De Gea

Dalot Maguire Martinez Shaw

Eriksen Fred Bruno

Sancho Martial Rashford

I could definitely see Malacia taking the lb slot from Shaw if he doesn't perform but for now I still think it's Shaw

Olecurls99

I think it's pretty obvious with the exception of left back tbh.

De Gea

Dalot Maguire Martinez Shaw

Eriksen Fred Bruno

Sancho Martial Rashford

I could definitely see Malacia taking the lb slot from Shaw if he doesn't perform but for now I still think it's Shaw
Agree with 10 of 11 but it's not obvious to me how Maguire is better than Varane.

DSG

Dalot really is not bad. Milan liked him a lot when they took him on loan, he is the backup for Cancelo in Portugal's national team, and Ten Hag clearly likes him. He's also young, and young full backs tend to improve with age. Defensively he's no worse than Wan Bissaka at everything other than just straight up 1 v 1 defending, which is that guys only quality.

Anyway - I agree the midfield is too light otherwise, but it'll be game by game. Games where Ten Hag feels we can dominate without the added solidity he'll probably pair Bruno with Eriksen. Other times, Donny or McTominay might come in, or if Garner progresses as you say.
I think we’ll have to agree to disagree on Dalot. You’re right, his positioning is no worse than AWB, but he doesn’t have the pace to make up for those mistakes. The times he does look good defensively are when we are in a low block defending. Defending the counterattack he’s a disaster. He has really poor instincts in when to close down opponents (Felix goal). AWB is so bad in passing and movement that Dalot is the only option (for now).

‘Let’s hope we can bring someone in as a DM or ETH can magically change some of our bad habits!

Trequarista10

Ronaldo
Bruno ------ Sancho
Malacia --- Fred --- De Jong ----- Dalot
Martinez -- Varane -- Maguire
DDG
De Jong is basically ours already and the team would be dysfunctional without him so I'm including him. Eriksen for Fred if chasing the game or against weaker opposition. Martial or Rashford could come in for Ronaldo depending on form/fitness (Martial gets the nod after pre season). Dalot meh but no viable alternative. Yes I'm a back 3 idealist but also its the only option to make our defence functional imo.

Olecurls99

I think we’ll have to agree to disagree on Dalot. You’re right, his positioning is no worse than AWB, but he doesn’t have the pace to make up for those mistakes. The times he does look good defensively are when we are in a low block defending. Defending the counterattack he’s a disaster. He has really poor instincts in when to close down opponents (Felix goal). AWB is so bad in passing and movement that Dalot is the only option (for now).

‘Let’s hope we can bring someone in as a DM or ETH can magically change some of our bad habits!
That Felix lad is lethal. I doubt there are many defenders would have dealt with that.

Dazzmondo

Agree with 10 of 11 but it's not obvious to me how Maguire is better than Varane.
Well, based on the pre-season Maguire's definitely looked more prepared for the start of the season. If Varane can get fit and back to his best then there might be more room for debate in my mind. I think Maguire's had a good pre-season tbh. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt despite his horrendous performances last season. If those performances come back, hopefully Varane is ready to come in and perform at his Real level.

Olecurls99

Well, based on the pre-season Maguire's definitely looked more prepared for the start of the season. If Varane can get fit and back to his best then there might be more room for debate in my mind. I think Maguire's had a good pre-season tbh. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt despite his horrendous performances last season. If those performances come back, hopefully Varane is ready to come in and perform at his Real level.
Yeah he has been good preseason tbf. Like you say hopefully Varane stays fit and takes the spot off him

DSG

That Felix lad is lethal. I doubt there are many defenders would have dealt with that.
10 goals in 35 appearances…. Not exactly lethal. He is quality. So are Diaz, Foden, Son, Zaha, Jota, etc. I think Ten Hag will see very quickly that Dalot needs a massive improvement or he’s not a PL fullback.

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Nightmare:
DDG
Dalot Maguire Linelöf Shaw
McTominey Fred
Sancho Bruno Rashford
Ronaldo

Dream:
....................DDG
...........Varane...Torres
Dalot.............................Malacia
...........Martinez
..................................FDJ
...................Bruno
Antony.........................Sancho
..................Martial

(If Ronaldo stays, me personally i would play Martial over Ronaldo even if he stays to start with and give him a real chance to prove himself - Also im not sure Bruno will keep his place in the starting eleven if he doesnt step up, but competition might make him - Eriksen was is a brilliant signing).

MalaysianRed7

De Gea
Dalot Maguire/Varane Martinez Shaw/Malacia
Fred
Bruno Eriksen
Sancho Martial Rashford

Our midfield gets bypassed when McTominay plays with Fred anyway, so why not stick Eriksen in there instead to add some creativity. It really does highlight our need for De Jong though. Otherwise, it’s actually a good side who massively underachieved last season under two awful managers, in fairness. We need far more depth though; the Glazers have let us down again.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Surprised at the variations on here to be honest, clicked on the thread expecting most to say the same starting 11 due to how light the squad is. Plus, speaking with friends we all seem to think the same 11 is our strongest at present, although that will change hopefully once Varane gets fit and stops looking so rusty.

DDG
Dalot Maguire Martinez Malacia
Fred Eriksen
Sancho Bruno Rashford
Martial

Basically the 11 that started most games on the tour, but with Martinez and Eriksen for Lindelof and McTominay.

For what it's worth I don't think we'll start against Brighton like this as I expect the 2 fitter players to start the game, but I'd guess by the Southampton game this will be our regular 11

MrSingh2002

Surprised at the variations on here to be honest, clicked on the thread expecting most to say the same starting 11 due to how light the squad is. Plus, speaking with friends we all seem to think the same 11 is our strongest at present, although that will change hopefully once Varane gets fit and stops looking so rusty.

DDG
Dalot Maguire Martinez Malacia
Fred Eriksen
Sancho Bruno Rashford
Martial

Basically the 11 that started most games on the tour, but with Martinez and Eriksen for Lindelof and McTominay.

For what it's worth I don't think we'll start against Brighton like this as I expect the 2 fitter players to start the game, but I'd guess by the Southampton game this will be our regular 11
I agree other than Varane for Maguire. Don't really see Ten Hag going any other way when everyone's fully fit. For away games I could see McTominay coming in sometimes for Eriksen or Bruno with Eriksen playing at number 10.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I agree other than Varane for Maguire. Don't really see Ten Hag going any other way when everyone's fully fit. For away games I could see McTominay coming in sometimes for Eriksen or Bruno with Eriksen playing at number 10.
Yeah I'd have Varane in eventually, but he missed a lot of preseason and looked risty when he did play

troylocker

Ronaldo has had lots of personal problems in recent months. One thing his professionalism can't be doubted, he will out score everyone this season in our team again. Martial or Rashford have never scored 25 goals in a season for the club in 7+ years.

Varane is a problem, he really needs to stay fit.
Do you mean the kind of professionalism that makes you spend the entire preseason at home while the rest of the team does a world tour, while also flirting with every big club in Europe? The only thing that is certain is that no matter how many goals he scores for us, we would score more and concede less without him. Having a nice 6-pack to show off on your insta does not make you a good professional. Let's see how professional he is when staying on the bench for 90 minutes.

My 11:
DDG
Dalot, Varane, Martinez, Shaw
Fred, Eriksen
Sancho, Bruno, Rashford
Martial

Good options on the bench:
AWB, Maguire, Lindelof, Malacia, McTom, DVB, Elanga.

If we sign FDJ he goes in for Eriksen/Fred.
If we sign Sesko he shares minutes with Martial.

Ronaldo can come in and pad his stats when we are 2 goals up against cannonfodder if he stays. Hopefully he doesn't.

Wing Attack Plan R

People who put Fred in an anchor role, or the base of a midfield diamond, are suicidal. Fred has abilities, but receiving the ball from the defense, relieving pressure, and springing a counter are not in his locker. It shows how thin the squad still is, but I'd expect McT to start in that holding role before Fred would. Fred has to be used further up the pitch, and that's where more competition for places is, so Fred's going to miss out.

Olecurls99

People who put Fred in an anchor role, or the base of a midfield diamond, are suicidal. Fred has abilities, but receiving the ball from the defense, relieving pressure, and springing a counter are not in his locker. It shows how thin the squad still is, but I'd expect McT to start in that holding role before Fred would. Fred has to be used further up the pitch, and that's where more competition for places is, so Fred's going to miss out.
Are you suggesting that they're in Scott's locker? He needs to give that locker a clean out and find them then