Name your club's best bargain basement signings

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Doesn't have to be players who've been instrumental in helping your club win major trophies, it can also be players who've been key to your team's overall progress. Gaining promotion, European football etc.

As a Liverpool fan I've been fortunate to witness quite a lot of unkowns come to my club over the years & end up as household names. It's almost as satisfying as seeing a local lad come through the ranks & see him become a world class player.

Kevin Keegan is the one that I reckon most Liverpool supporters would have as their number one low-key signing. What about everyone else ? What players have come to your club & totally blown you, & your expectations, away.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Chelsea should have been Kevin De Bruyne but because of Mourinho it is Cesar Azpilicueta.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Azpilicueta for 7m. Ivanovic for 7m. Cahill for 7m. Ballack for sweet FA. Cech for 9m. Gullit for feck all. Zola for 4m. Vialli for nothing

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
In terms of cost, acquiring Van Der Sar, Vidic and Evra for a total of £14m was quite a bargain. I was convinced VDS would be another failed GK gamble, as we'd had so many of them since Schmeichel retired. And I knew nothing of either Vidic or Evra, there didn't seem to be much excitement around those signings at the time, that I remember anyway. They started poorly too, yet went on to be among the best to ever play for the club.

flappyjay

Chicharito for 6m at the time was a very good buy. Helped us to a league title and a ucl final.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Ronaldo in no way was "bargain basement"

At the time it was quite a large fee for a young player

tjb

Think we need a few of these. There's a clear quality difference between our top players and depth. You can't convince me that premier league players would look as bad as Pereira.

As for our best: Chicarito

Pughnichi

Cantona 1.2 was it?
Kanchelskis 900k
Sharpe 250k
Irwin 600k
OGS, Johnsen and Raimond all cheap in the same window
Fortune at 2m was a solid performer
Park 6m
VDS 3.5m

Last edited:

Gopher Brown

It's very hard to compare transfers from the past with current money levels though. Cantona was £1.2m, yes, but the record transfer at the time was only £3.6m.

The £1.5m we spent on Robson was a larger percentage of our turnover than Rio at £30m.

I'd argue that van der Sar for £3.5m was our best value signing, considering he was with us for 6 years and reached 3 CL finals, and won 4 Premier Leagues.

baskinginthesun

David Narey. Played for Raith Rovers in a man of the match performance against Celtic in 1994 to win the League Cup. Was brought in on a free, I believe.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
You'd be hard pushed to find a better modern day bargain than Andy Robertson for £8m from Hull. Even most of us Liverpool fans were confused by that signing as we wanted an upgrade on Moreno and I certainly didn't think that Robertson was it.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Ole, think it was 1.5m? Fantastic player who scored vital goals.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Salihamidzic/free from Hamburger SV. The transfer was vastly seen as a "typical Bayern move" designed to destroy an upcoming club's chances by snatching a promising player they didn't need, but that backfired when it became public HSV still had him on an amateur contract at 6000DM/month despite him being one of their best players,
Salihamidzic proved the critics wrong who had said he would only be a benchwarmer in Munich, he played 230 matches and won the CL in 2001.

Last edited: