Nani: No more showboating

Younited.7

united.7
"I am a man with simple tastes - I am always
You bunch of queens

Of course it's disrespectful, and the reason Ferguson has a problem with it is as much to do with the consequences (i.e. someone deciding to take Nani out and breaking his leg in the process).

It's not like he did anything amazing. That would have been different...he did a few flick ups. I can do that, you can do that, even Harry Kewell could probably just about manage it.
I couldnt run, bounce the ball on my head, on my knees, then get it under control with someone breathing down my neck.

Let me ask you what is deisrespectful, is it...

The fact they were 4-0 down and he did what he did?

or

Just the audacity to run back toward his own goal juggling the ball?

When Arsenal try, with a comfortable lead, against a lesser team, something audacious; is this disrespectful? That they no longer take the tie seriously? or that they are taunting the team with superior skill?

Would it have been seen the same way if we were 1-0 up?

Or even if it was 0-0?

He would have been lambasted by Fergie for messing around, but, would Arsenal be so offended?

I doubt it, do we conclude that the score was the crucial factor for Arsenals sour grapes?

And who's fault is that? For fielding an understrength side...

Which is slightly disrespectful in itself.

Chapster

Well, to be honest, the fact that it wasn't exactly hard to pull off, and was in his own half is what made it disrespectful. So, all this nonsense about 'earning' respect, calling it necessary skill to keep hold of the ball and the like, is the nattering of a loon. He shouldn't do it again, and he's right to come out and say so.

under pressure?
running toward the goalbox?

SAF probably said don't do it so close to our goals.

It was bloody brave and showed alot of skill

if gerrard came under that kind of pressure he would have fallen down like a sack of potatoes

Ekeke

Well, to be honest, the fact that it wasn't exactly hard to pull off, and was in his own half is what made it disrespectful. So, all this nonsense about 'earning' respect, calling it necessary skill to keep hold of the ball and the like, is the nattering of a loon. He shouldn't do it again, and he's right to come out and say so.
Who said it was needed?

It was effective.

If you remove effective skill from football it will certainly become a lesser game.

Hoof the ball

This is exactly the reason why our youth system is crap in this country. Even the professional game frowns on skill and flair. You don't hear of Villarreal complaining because Ronaldinho or Messi made them looks like total twats. Why can't players just accept that if a player has the ability to do something with the ball, as long as he's not not hurting another player, he has a legitimate right to do what the feck he wants, except unless the club themselves choose not to.

As for Gilberto telling Nani to not showboat. That's just soar fecking grapes because Gilberto got teased when he was a little kid as the only Brasilian in his school that couldn't perform a fecking Elastico. Twat! As for the commetn about Showboating being a provocation! Since When? It's not as if I see someone talented do something in the street that I instantly feel the need to stick a knife in his fecking neck, is it? What utter Shit by GirlBerto

Hoof the ball

Fergie's right to tell him off, taking the mick when you're 3 or 4 up against ten men is Arsenal behaviour.
Feck it, why not? Maradona did it all the time when he was at Napoli and they were beating teams! Did it at Barca too. Ronaldinho does it. I just don't think that managers should look to discourage it UNLESS there are tactical reasons as to why it wouldn't benefit the way a team plays. Otherwise, feck what other teams think. If I helps build Nani's confidence levels, then I welcome it!

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
It's childish. Maradona maybe you could argue had a right, due to being an incredible genius. His opponents probably stood there admiring him. Nani, that's just a wind-up, and can end up with players getting injured - Flamini's flying challenge could easily have injured Nani in fact.

It's the equivalent of walking into a pub and telling everyone you earn more than them. You can probably get away with it if you're bigger than them, but it's not very nice behaviour.

I bet Boring does that...

Younited.7

united.7
It's childish. Maradona maybe you could argue had a right, due to being an incredible genius. His opponents probably stood there admiring him. Nani, that's just a wind-up, and can end up with players getting injured - Flamini's flying challenge could easily have injured Nani in fact.

It's the equivalent of walking into a pub and telling everyone you earn more than them. You can probably get away with it if you're bigger than them, but it's not very nice behaviour.

I dont think thats a good analogy.

I can see why Ferguson would say, dont do it against Arsenal. There is obviously a history there, and they are petulant wankers, immune from discplinary action. It has brought about too much limelight on Nani, which doesnt endear him to a lot of football fans in this country. That is probably a bad effect of it.

I dont think that its disrespectful though, no more so than:

Wasting time

Flicking the ball over an opponents head

Doing anything else audacious when comfortably leading

As i said earlier; why do we make exceptions for Arsenal, because they are 4-0 down and didnt show the tie enough respect. If it was 1-0 or 0-0 then it would have been a different story. If it wasnt Arsenal, nobody would be making a fuss. Ronaldo flicked it up for himself against Wigan when 4-0 up and ran with it, Nani got the ball in the air and improvised, who made the fuss?

Ill tell you what disrespectful is, celebrating a penalty miss and jumping on a players back screaming at him. Its rich for Arsenal to talk about taunting opponents.

Hoof the ball

But then you can't blame Nani for another player getting frustrated. If a player can't control his aggression and temper during a game then the fault at hand is not down to Nani being a showoff, it's down to the mere fact that a certain player doesn't have the composure to stay focused on the game.
The thing is, us English a a strange breed. We have an utter contempt for anything sports related that isn't completely deem sportsmanlike, even if the purportrator is one of our own players. That being said, Just because Maradona is a genius, does that give him any more of a right to showboat than Nani, simply because he was a better player than Nani ever was. If it does, then that constitutes rules for some and not for others.
Self expression is important in this game and in the English league, that idea is being kicked out like a bad habit. Half of the stuff Cantona did when he flicked and did keepy uppies we'ren't frowned upon back in the 90's. Not once did any United fans think that he couldn't and shouldn't do what he did.
On the basis of the Nani argument here, if Eric were to do half of the stuff he did, right now, there would be arguments all over from teams players, fans, etc.....
What about when Ronaldinho did keepy uppies against a top side when he flicked it over a defenders head not once but TWICE. The Spanish fans and press marveled alike, and so did we. We didn't deem it unsportsmanlike when Ronnie did it, I don't think we should be hard on Nani either.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Fergie: that was a really nice one nani! *giggles, pats on the back*
Nani: Yea boss, they were really wound up. did you see the way hoyte fell down behind me? *giggles harder*
Fergie: ok, ok, here what we need to say to the press...
Got a feeling that is what has happened. Its very out of character for SAF to have done that.

As for

'Gilberto Silva of Arsenal spoke to me and was clear about what their players thought about it.

'He was very critical of what I did and accused me of provoking Arsenal. But he never threatened me.
Who does Gilberto think he is? And who are we to respect Arsenal? They were playing a weakened team, 4-0 down, and their a bunch of arrogants wankers to boot. feck off silva

lynchie

Why is it we condemn a bit of skill but not Flamini's stupid flying tackle in the aftermath?

wancolos

Diarrhetic homosexual- likes to beat Noggies with
I thought it was well funny, but I do agree that Fergie has a point...

LondonRed64

I don't see any difference between Nani's 'seal' dribble and Ronaldo's ball juggling dribbles where he waves his leg over the ball for thirty seconds before setting the turf on fire with a blistering run.

Also when United rise to the 'ole' chants of the fans when we keep possession and keep playing short safe passes. Ive seen Paul Scholes rise to this situation and play deliberately useless passes trying to keep the smirk off his face.

If this isn't showboating what is? And more importantly if they are not infringing the laws of the game what is the problem?

Count Duckula

Why is it we condemn a bit of skill but not Flamini's stupid flying tackle in the aftermath?
Because Flamini's tackle was actually a wonderful tackle, and he won the ball very well. It was perfectly executed.

Nani, on the other hand, was taking the piss.

yes, and SAF also told Nani not to celebrate his goals the way he does. I see that has changed
Even though both Ferguson and Nani himself have said that that's a fallacy, and he's never been instructed to cut out the somersaults.

Eriku

One set of rules for Maradona? :confused:

Maradona was massive, but still this is wrong.

Football is entertainment, skill, wanting to pull off something beautiful. Taking the piss out of a Premier League contender is not petty, it's a claim staked for the remainder of the season. It's mind games. It's every bit as valuable as any other touch that one could've done without... And footy is FULL of that.

bcubed

Endeavouring to persevere in observation of all th
It wasn't taking the piss, it wasnt disrespectful - It was effective for keeping hold of the ball. Why should a piece of skill that actually benefitted the player be criticized?

If he was purely showboating and got tackled then fair enough. But all he did was a piece of skill that proved effective for hlding onto the ball. There's nothing wrong with that whatsoever.
That's spot on mate. It was a very effective way of holding on to the ball. He was concentrating like feck and at no time did he grin or smirk.

A bit different to Rooney a few years ago playing for Everton, when he stopped running up the wing to put his foot on the ball and hands on his hips to "wait" for the guy he'd skinned.

cloud218

He should just continue to do and just put up an excuse: "Oops, sorry. Old habits kick in every now and then. Then again, your team sucks."

Football is about entertainment. Dont discourage the players who make the game such a spectacle.

Also well done to Giggsy for helping develop Nani as a top class Manchester United winger.

VII

I think SAF is asking him or anyone else not to taunt the opponent more to protect themselves against injury more than anything else. Taunting players that are less skillful when they're already frustrated is asking for trouble. Why risk it?

djemba's arse

Nani looks an excellent prospect. Not saying he'll be better than Ronaldo, but right now he's playing better football than Ronnie did in his first season here. He seems to have found the balance between running with the ball and passing it a bit quicker.

Ekeke

That's spot on mate. It was a very effective way of holding on to the ball. He was concentrating like feck and at no time did he grin or smirk.

A bit different to Rooney a few years ago playing for Everton, when he stopped running up the wing to put his foot on the ball and hands on his hips to "wait" for the guy he'd skinned.
I agree wholeheartedly. Now that's arrogance and disrespectful behaviour. I'm glad he cut that out.

Ekeke

Nani looks an excellent prospect. Not saying he'll be better than Ronaldo, but right now he's playing better football than Ronnie did in his first season here. He seems to have found the balance between running with the ball and passing it a bit quicker.
You have to remember that Ronaldo was here at 18, not 20.

However I'd say Nani is on the same level as Ronaldo the season before last and if his maturing continues as it has done this season, he may have a season as great as Ronaldo's last season - next year.

Younited.7

united.7
He is a different player isnt he.

Not Ronaldo-like at all really.

Superb close control, crossing, creativity and agility (a snake like quality).

He is fast becoming an important member of our first team, his assist rate is brilliant and is a very good set piece taker.

Ekeke

Is he really that different to Ronaldo two years ago?

Ronaldo back then was much less a scorer and more of a creative force - which Nani is right now too.

It would be a longshot to say Nani's development could mirror Ronaldo's exactly, but they arent that different in my opinion.

TR

Feels utterly betrayed
Great skill. Keep it up!

Some idiots think players shouldnt show their skill as the other english players dont have much. The next time he uses his skill to get past a player, will he get banned?
All this week I've been reading journalists and listening to supporters from all sorts of clubs (including Arsenal) on the radio who thing that skills like Nani displayed is what football is all about.

I'm also suprised that Gilberto, a Brazillian, doesn't appreciate those skills.
Steady on. Nani is a very skillful player but every player on the pitch and probably half the members of the Caf could have done that if they'd wanted to.

fatboy

I wouldn't put it past Arsenal to do the same if the situation were ever reversed in future. And any of our players who try to rough them up for it will get carded or sent off.

This is really making a mountain out of a molehill. There would have been no issue had the Arsenal team not gone bitching to the press, as usual.