Nani: No more showboating

032Devil

Nani says no more juggling
By IAN LADYMAN
Daily Mail

Manchester United winger Nani has vowed never to repeat the ball-juggling that earned him a rebuke from Sir Alex Ferguson.

The Portuguese youngster shone in United's 4-0 FA Cup drubbing of Arsenal last weekend but was criticised by Ferguson and rival boss Arsene Wenger.

Nani told Sportsmail: 'In Portugal I have done this many times but it is only because it is an entertaining spectacle and not because I disrespect my rivals.

'I am a professional and am always very respectful with all the opposing players, but I do appreciate now that it may have looked bad.

'After the match Ferguson spoke to me and demanded that I do not repeat it in order to avoid problems.

'Obviously, I agreed. I always follow the orders of my coach and am not interested in causing controversy.

'Gilberto Silva of Arsenal spoke to me and was clear about what their players thought about it.

'He was very critical of what I did and accused me of provoking Arsenal. But he never threatened me.

'On the field I am different from most players. My celebrations of goals with a somersault is an example. This is my character as a footballer.'

Nani, 21, also revealed that Ryan Giggs is grooming him to be his successor at Old Trafford.

Nani gave way to Giggs in the starting line-up at Lyon in the Champions League in midweek but the former Wales winger is doubtful for the trip to Newcastle in the Barclays Premier League today after suffering a leg injury.

Nani said: 'Ryan has already said he wants me to succeed him on the left when he has gone. He is always talking to me and giving me advice.
'There is no bitterness or obvious rivalry. He just wants me to do well and for United to do well when he is no longer playing.'

Sad day for football

reddevilcanada

yep, these damn nasty foreigners need to show more respect for the game of football and fellow professionals, enough of their showboating and diving, they should learn how to be proper footballers like Gerrard and Fabregas :rolleyes:

Erics_Collar

Really dissapointed in Sir Alex over this one. Its not often he gets it wrong. Yes, I know he thinks he's protecting Nani from a backlash, but we're Manchester United and we fecking thrive on that.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Fergie: that was a really nice one nani! *giggles, pats on the back*
Nani: Yea boss, they were really wound up. did you see the way hoyte fell down behind me? *giggles harder*
Fergie: ok, ok, here what we need to say to the press...

Veron

Varun
This is getting ridiculous,i'm disappointed in nani for saying that,he should not bow down to this pathetic excuse of a critizism from arsenal and co,ronaldo never apologised for taunting opponents.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I still don't think he is wrong.
Perhaps doing this against rivals who were losing the match made this looked bad.

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
Absolute nonsense from fergie...
How about only do it when we have the league wrapped up or are leading by 10+ points. He said he was told to stop by Fergie "on order to avoid problems", one of those could be the fact that here we are enjoying a moment of glory and gloating but if we end up conceding the title then it would pointless, and we'd be roasted by the media if we were to make this kind of thing a habit.

It is, however, pathetic that Arsenal have pointed the finger at Nani instead of looking at themselves. Typical Wenger really.

Dyslexic Untied

Don`t think it should ever be an issue. He should be able do to what he wants with the ball, taking the piss out of opponents is part of the game.

That said though, Nani is showing great attitute here by accepting the criticism and saying that he will change his ways. Good lad.

The Hairdryer

Nani: Yea boss, they were really wound up. did you see the way hoyte fell down behind me? *giggles harder*
Exactly. Classic Ferguson.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
Sad indeed. Typical of Arsenal and Wenger to moan and use Nani as a scapegoat. Now i remember why i used to hate the cnuts so much.

There was no need for Fergie to say that "he'll have a word with him" in his post match interview. Nani did nothing wrong.

The media made a big fuss out of it too, typical of them to focus on the negative things rather than the great performance we put in.... and they wonder why we have very few skillful English players.

Younited.7

united.7
"I am a man with simple tastes - I am always
Absolute nonsense from most people in this thread for whom 'professional' seems to have no significance other than paid for the job.

Is it Travellers.
Expression?

I dont believe in baiting but; i do believe in a bit of spontaneity.

And i would not have expected it to have so much opposition.

If Ronaldinho had done it; people would be in awe. As Nani is young; the prevailing opinion seems to be that he was taking the piss and should have some respect.

Arsenal put themselves in a position that allowed him to do it, and would have done it themselves im sure of that. Slightly rich coming from the team who jumped on Ruud's back when he missed a penalty, that was taking the piss.

032Devil

It's saddening.

All this week I've been reading journalists and listening to supporters from all sorts of clubs (including Arsenal) on the radio who thing that skills like Nani displayed is what football is all about.

Capitulating to players like Gallas who talent-wise are so sub-standard to someone like Nani is simply wrong.

I'm also suprised that Gilberto, a Brazillian, doesn't appreciate those skills.

Younited.7

united.7
"I am a man with simple tastes - I am always
It's saddening.

All this week I've been reading journalists and listening to supporters from all sorts of clubs (including Arsenal) on the radio who thing that skills like Nani displayed is what football is all about.

Capitulating to players like Gallas who talent-wise are so sub-standard to someone like Nani is simply wrong.

I'm also suprised that Gilberto, a Brazillian, doesn't appreciate those skills.
It's self righteousness.

I have seen Henry do it on numerous occasions, running toward goal i must admit. Nani has a right to prevent Hoyte from getting the ball by any means necessary, if he can juggle the ball on his head then let him do it.

Shall we go the whole hog here and ban players from knocking the ball through eachothers legs, surely there is nothing more humiliating than that.

Its a slippery slope that one, dont pull me up on it though.

Bangor_Red

It makes me wonder why we were interested in that guy kerlon, who does,or at least used to do it all the time, and has ronaldo also been told not to use any skills.

Would have thought Rooney would have been the one more likely to get a bollocking for earning a pointless yellow winding up the arsenal players.

Only way i can work it in my mind into thinking fergie is right on this is perhaps if he meant when he was in our own half,as possibility of them winning the ball and being clear in on goal is present

Kelvin

Sorry, thats ridiculous, so you are not allowed to entertain the crowd when we are 4-0 up.

RedPhil1957

so very true :D

Tibs

Pathetic.

He should all the show boating he wants, and if the other team is too crap to deal with, then do be it.

Seal dribble in the box today MJ, somebody will foul him - penalty

Ekeke

It wasn't taking the piss, it wasnt disrespectful - It was effective for keeping hold of the ball. Why should a piece of skill that actually benefitted the player be criticized?

If he was purely showboating and got tackled then fair enough. But all he did was a piece of skill that proved effective for hlding onto the ball. There's nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

reddevilcanada

Explains why so many skillful players would rather play in Spain or Italy where their talent gets more respect than kicking fellow professionals does in England:

I guess this is also a lack of respect to fellow pros...

GE

It wasn't taking the piss, it wasnt disrespectful - It was effective for keeping hold of the ball. Why should a piece of skill that actually benefitted the player be criticized?
Spot on.

The media prefer to focus on the negative stuff related to United rather than our fantastic performance. I noticed how nothing has been mentioned about the reckless tackles from 5 or 6 Arsenal players.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Great skill. Keep it up!

Some idiots think players shouldnt show their skill as the other english players dont have much. The next time he uses his skill to get past a player, will he get banned?

032Devil

Explains why so many skillful players would rather play in Spain or Italy where their talent gets more respect than kicking fellow professionals does in England:

I guess this is also a lack of respect to fellow pros...
Awesome!

GE

Anyone remember Ronaldo doing kick-ups while we was 4 nill up in the Carling Cup Final vs Wigan?

If i remember correctly, Giggs went up to Ronaldo and said "We don't do that at Man Utd"

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Anyone remember Ronaldo doing kick-ups while we was 4 nill up in the Carling Cup Final vs Wigan?

If i remember correctly, Giggs went up to Ronaldo and said "We don't do that at Man Utd"
Well, against Wigan I can understand it. They were by far the poorer side and you dont need to do that then.
But against Arsenal, who are the top team in England right now, who are on par with United, you can do that anytime. And it isnt that the Arse player never showboat, is it?

GE

Remember Henry & Pires fecking up that penalty?

Isn't that showboating ??? Im pretty sure it is.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
You bunch of queens

Of course it's disrespectful, and the reason Ferguson has a problem with it is as much to do with the consequences (i.e. someone deciding to take Nani out and breaking his leg in the process).

It's not like he did anything amazing. That would have been different...he did a few flick ups. I can do that, you can do that, even Harry Kewell could probably just about manage it.

KanieKaned

You bunch of queens

Of course it's disrespectful, and the reason Ferguson has a problem with it is as much to do with the consequences (i.e. someone deciding to take Nani out and breaking his leg in the process).

It's not like he did anything amazing. That would have been different...he did a few flick ups. I can do that, you can do that, even Harry Kewell could probably just about manage it.
I beg to differ on the latter (Kewell)

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
You bunch of queens

That's why the whole issue is so ridiculous. Doing a few kick ups is hardly taking the piss out of the opponents and it just shows Arsenal up for the shower of shite they really are when you consider how badly they overreacted to it.

Justin

Remember Henry & Pires fecking up that penalty?

Isn't that showboating ??? Im pretty sure it is.
If it had went in it's showboating. As it was, it's just plain stupidity.

Spammy

Being watched; will learn to post in the correct f
Gloves are worn for traction primarily. Someone li
Well, to be honest, the fact that it wasn't exactly hard to pull off, and was in his own half is what made it disrespectful. So, all this nonsense about 'earning' respect, calling it necessary skill to keep hold of the ball and the like, is the nattering of a loon. He shouldn't do it again, and he's right to come out and say so.