Nani will reignite our charge to the title

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfather

Haven't screamed out as loudly as today for a long long time. What a brilliant goal in such am important situation.
Made some fantastic passes as well today.
Lovely

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
I did my part a long, long time ago. Like stroking a chance away when faced with the keeper. Creating this thread showed a bit more courage, like Nani's classy finish today.

In all seriousness though it doesn't matter. :lol: I backed Nani for a reason and he's come good on it. That's all that matters, so thats what I'll enjoy. I don't make threads, I make posts.
Credit where credit's due, I remember you were the one of the few (EDIT: Along with Godfather who posted the previous post) who were defending Nani to the hilt all along even when it looked like he was looking likely to be sold. I was resigned to him leaving tbh but his talent was never in doubt for me.

The OP had some balls for sure, and I am hoping his thread about Carrick I think pays off as well!

Godfather

Change his tag mods.

BTW: Reading through this thread is a real joy, makes you realize who are the real cnuts on this board.

Ekeke

Lest we forget this isnt the first time Nani has come to the fore when we needed someone to stand up and be counted against Spurs.

I believe this was the first time I felt Nani would certainly become a big player at this club. His first goal for United.

He had previous before today and its contributions like these which will make him a top player.

Redrage

Out faith in him paid off, love you nan! Fantastic player and i am sure there is plenty more to come from him.
Oh and talking about him is the major reason why I got promoted. :p

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
He's looked so passionate the last few games.

And...I think...is that evidence of a brain that he's displayed in recent months? Crikey.

Bloxy

Why does it always rain on me?
Is there a thread that combines Nani reigniting our season and Rafael fecking it up?

Joking, Nani in the last few months have been superb. He does still have those moments, but lets not forget so did Ronaldo.

especially from the right. he might unseat val as the starter there if he's not careful...depending on another left winger coming along.
Yep, it allows him to get those crosses in so much quicker, which is entirely natural as he is right-footed, he is a square-peg in a round hole on the left, he's still showing that he's good enough to be that square-peg, but it's not a natural fit

He was excellent today, and that goal was a different class, Messi got all kinds of praise for his similar finish against Arsenal, I guess that should tell you how good it was.

Alex

especially from the right. he might unseat val as the starter there if he's not careful...depending on another left winger coming along.
The only way would be if United got a Ronaldo type to play a 4-3-3, I think Valencia is awesome, but he off the bench with his pace would be stunning. Nani has turned the corner, that chip was something Ron wouldnt even do and to pull it off at the most important time in teh season, stunning. The lad has stood and been counted, respeck

gbgary

Yep, it allows him to get those crosses in so much quicker, which is entirely natural as he is right-footed, he is a square-peg in a round hole on the left, he's still showing that he's good enough to be that square-peg, but it's not a natural fit

He was excellent today, and that goal was a different class, Messi got all kinds of praise for his similar finish against Arsenal, I guess that should tell you how good it was.
The only way would be if United got a Ronaldo type to play a 4-3-3, I think Valencia is awesome, but he off the bench with his pace would be stunning. Nani has turned the corner, that chip was something Ron wouldnt even do and to pull it off at the most important time in the season, stunning. The lad has stood and been counted, respect!
yup...i agree 100%. i just stood there with my mouth hanging open when he scored there. it was outstanding.

Nani adapts to Prem

Portuguese forward says he will get stronger at Old Trafford

Manchester United attacker Nani has revealed he finally feels settled in England after nearly three years.

The Portugal international netted a fine chip in United's crucial victory over Tottenham in the Premier League on Saturday, as a 3-1 win kept their title hopes alive.

Nani is beginning to put in performances that justify his £14million transfer fee, after he signed from Sporting Lisbon in 2007, having frustrated Red Devils fans in the past.

The 23-year-old recently signed a new contract at Old Trafford and says he has found his feet in the Premier League.

"Every player wants to play for this club and at the moment I am so happy because everything is going right for me," he said in the News of the World.

"I am playing well and I signed a new contract which proves I am so happy at the club. Yes, it took me a while to adjust.

"At times, it was difficult because I come from Portugal and the weather is a bit different and the football is different.

"But now I have been here three years and I have learned a lot with this club and a lot of the players I play with have taught me a lot. I understand English football better and that's why I am doing so well. I feel a lot more comfortable.

"The players in England are so strong, they work a lot in the gym and they are more physical than others in other leagues.

"Now, I think I am prepared for it and ready to play in this league. I am stronger and have more confidence.

"I've changed a lot as a player since I've been here. When I first came here, I was just so excited to play with a lot of stars.

"But now I can think in a different way. I have different ambitions.

"After every season I look at myself. I analyse what I've done well and why I don't play some times.

"This last year, I was injured for a while and I decided that when I was fit, it would be my season. I wanted to focus and help the team.

"I want to play - I want to be the first option in my position in the team."

The three points against Spurs were vital for United as Sir Alex Ferguson's men look to push Chelsea right to the wire in the title race.

They had to do without star striker Wayne Rooney on Saturday, and although Nani recognises the England international's ability, he does not think the Red Devils are a one-man team.

"We know Rooney is very important for the team - he is doing so well for us," he added.

"But we know that this team does not just depend on one player, it depends on all eleven on the pitch.

"And I think when we win, we win together and when we lose, we lose together."

Sky Sports | Football News | Premier League | Manchester United | Nani adapts to Prem
Another interview with some impressive words. He is oozing confidence and maturity at the moment. It can only bode well for the rest of his career here.

twitter thread suggester
Here is the full interview...

THE DEFENCE of their Premier League title remains in the balance, their European ambitions long since dashed.

But as soon as their domestic fate is decided, Manchester United thoughts will turn to next season, to the future.

And one man who is determined to play a pivotal role in that future is Nani.

Six months ago, Nani's long-term Old Trafford prospects looked bleak.

In his third season at the club, he was frustrated at his place in the United pecking order and the doubters began to question whether the £14million signing from Sporting Lisbon would ever settle properly into English football.

But recently, the 23-year-old signed a new deal at the club and with respected senior professionals such as Gary Neville, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs near the end of stellar playing careers, Nani is ready to accept more responsibility. It was a heart-to-heart with United manager Sir Alex Ferguson - as he prepared to return from a mid-season injury lay-off - that crystallized the Portuguese winger's desire to become a crucial part of United's plans.

He explains: "Yes. The manager sat down with me after I came back from injury. We spoke about the things I'm not doing well, what I have to do for the team and then we resolved everything.

"That's why everything is going well now."

While his goal ratio is still far from spectacular, in many ways this has been Nani's breakthrough season in English football.

He started yesterday's crucial clash with Tottenham at Old Trafford and put in a pivotal peformance, scoring a brilliant crucial second goal and being fouled for the penalty and the deciding third goal.

Ferguson has put more faith in his mercurial skills and that is what convinced the player to agree to stay at Old Trafford until 2014. He says: "Of course I am very happy here.

"Every player wants to play for this club and at the moment I am so happy because everything is going right for me.

"I am playing well and I signed a new contract which proves I am so happy at the club.

"Yes, it took me a while to adjust.

"At times, it was difficult because I come from Portugal and the weather is a bit different and the football is different.

"But now I have been here three years and I have learned a lot with this club and a lot of the players I play with have taught me a lot. I understand English football better and that's why I am doing so well. I feel a lot more comfortable.

"The players in England are so strong, they work a lot in the gym and they are more physical than others in other leagues.

"Now, I think I am prepared for it and ready for to play in this league. I am stronger and have more confidence.

"I've changed a lot as a player since I've been here. When I first came here, I was just so excited to play with a lot of stars.

"But now I can think in a different way. I have different ambitions.

"After every season I look at myself. I analyse what I've done well and why I don't play some times.

"This last year, I was injured for a while and I decided that when I was fit, it would be my season.

"I wanted to focus and help the team.

"I want to play - I want to be the first option in my position in the team."

Nani is speaking at a Nike promotional event - he will wear their new Mercurial Superfly II boot at the upcoming World Cup in South Africa.

But there was a time in his tough upbringing when he had to beg, borrow or steal a pair of boots just to have a kickaround with his street pals.

Nani was brought up by his Aunt Antonia in the mean Lisbon suburb of Amadora.

He recalls: "When I was younger, it was so difficult for me to play football because I was totally different. Some young players have everything going for them - the right conditions to play football.

"The father and the mother understand football and take you to the place to train.

"They can give you nice boots and give you food all the time at the right times and help you to grow up in the right conditions. And I didn't have that. I lived in the ghetto.

"I lived with my mum for a couple of years but she changed to another place and I stayed with my auntie. I was alone to do it. It was so hard for me.

"Even though I was alone, I always believed that I could make it. All the time, I was thinking about being a professional.

"It is so difficult to be a professional but my auntie all the time was saying: 'Believe and you can do it'. I've never thought what I would have done if I hadn't been a professional footballer.

"I played in the local team and with my friends on the street.

"Scouts from Sporting Lisbon spotted me and sent a letter to my club and wanted me to train with them for a couple of days.

"At least then when I went to Sporting, at the age of 16, I had better conditions to prepare myself to be a footballer."

After making his first team debut as a 19-year-old, Nani scored 11 times in 67 appearances for the Portuguese side - not exactly startling statistics but enough to convince Sir Alex Ferguson, perhaps acknowledging that Cristiano Ronaldo would not be around forever, to pay that substantial fee for him. In his first two seasons, Nani played and trained alongside gifted countryman Ronaldo but he gives a diplomatic answer when pressed on the debate as to who is the world's greatest player right now.

He says: "Messi is doing so well, scoring more goals than Rooney and Ronaldo and playing very well in the right side. "He gets a big advantage from them.

"But then again, Ronaldo is a complete player - he plays with both feet, scores with his head. Last season, he was the best player in the world.

"And Rooney is having his best season ever.

"So it's difficult, especially as Ronaldo and Rooney are my friends!"

But despite his unreserved admiration for Wayne Rooney, Nani insists that United are not a one-man team.

He says: "We know Rooney is very important for the team - he is doing so well for us.

"But we know that this team does not just depend on one player, it depends on all eleven on the pitch.

"And I think when we win, we win together and when we lose, we lose together."

NANI: Showing his true colours
NANI: Showing his true colours

It is that camaraderie that has helped Nani overcome his initial acclimatisation difficulties.

He also admits to enjoying a fortunate lifestyle as a top player at one of the world's top clubs, adding: "It's not difficult to adjust to life in England because the life I have is so easy.

"I go to training and then after training, I go home and rest. All the time is the same.

"If we have a sunny day, I go out for lunch, go to the cinema, do something different.

"But all my time centres around training every day and giving maximum concentration to that training."

Nani knows that his boss would expect nothing less.

"He is a great manager, that is clear," he says. "And I think his personality is the key. He has a strong personality and I think that is the most important thing in a manager."

Just like the rest of the squad, Nani is not privy to his manager's thoughts on retirement.

Ferguson insists that he will not make the mistake of planning his farewell in advance but there have been recent suggestions that next season will be his last.

Nani clearly sees no reason why Sir Alex will not be around for many years to come, considering the promise shown by the younger element at Old Trafford.

He explains: "We've had a lot of difficult decisive games and we've been a bit unlucky in some of them. But whatever happens this season, we have a lot of young players in the team, in two or three years' time we will still be very strong if not stronger.

"All the young players are doing very well and they will be the future.

"That's why I think the manager is so proud of them."

And Nani is determined to represent that future.

"I want to get better and be part of this club for a long time," he insists.

"I work every day towards that aim."

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Lest we forget this isnt the first time Nani has come to the fore when we needed someone to stand up and be counted against Spurs.

I believe this was the first time I felt Nani would certainly become a big player at this club. His first goal for United.

He had previous before today and its contributions like these which will make him a top player.
Did I hear the commetator mention someone called Hargreaves there?

Who is he? Did he used to play for us?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
That development has been guided by Patrice Evra, a player Ferguson saw was close to Nani and asked to share his own travails on arriving at United. “Pat has been a big friend for me,” says Nani. “He always spoke about how we have to be patient, and how Manchester work with the players. He tried to show me how he was when he came, that they did the same with him. He said, ‘If you pass through the same as I did you will be in a good position’.”

Another shared belief is that a fourth straight title can be United’s. “I think our opportunity is Sunday,” he says. “If Chelsea lose points we win the League. If not, we win it next season. Every season in Manchester is like this. If we win we will come like we win nothing. We come with the same ambition to win everything.”

I’m teaching Rooney. First time he tried it, perfect, unbelievable | Manchester United - Times Online

Starting to sound like a United player already. Evra's like the captain for the foreign players in United.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
United ace Nani has been dubbed “Bob The Builder”

MANCHESTER UNITED STAR NANI TAKES UP DIY

ABOVE: Manchester United ace Nani has taken a shine to DIY
2nd May 2010 By Daily Star Reporter

MANCHESTER United ace Nani has been dubbed “Bob The Builder” by team-mates after taking a shine to DIY.

Pals have been ribbing the Portuguese star since he let slip that he fancies himself as a bit of a handyman.

And he keeps himself busy when not on the pitch by making improvements to his £3million mansion.

One friend said that rather than call out the club’s own in-house team of expert tradesmen, Nani recently installed new fixtures and light fittings.

An Old Trafford insider said: “It’s fair to say most of the lads just pick up the phone when they need something doing – even changing a plug.

“Most of them use the excuse they are too busy to get odd jobs done. But Nani is putting them all to shame.

“He mentioned the other week he was having trouble with one job and a few of the players and groundstaff piped up with Bob The Builder’s catchprase, ‘Can He Fix It...Yes He Can!’

“It’s a bit of harmless ribbing and he takes it in good spirits.”

Nani, 23 – real name Luís Carlos Almeida da Cunha – has a five-bedroom home in the same street in Wilmslow, Cheshire, as his manager Sir Alex Ferguson

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
Since when has it been called "ribbing", what the feck?

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
The only way would be if United got a Ronaldo type to play a 4-3-3, I think Valencia is awesome, but he off the bench with his pace would be stunning. Nani has turned the corner, that chip was something Ron wouldnt even do and to pull it off at the most important time in teh season, stunning. The lad has stood and been counted, respeck
To be fair, Ronaldo rarely lost his one on ones so he probably would have slotted it home, but thats no disrespect to Nani, different players. An amazing goal at a key point in time at the business end of the season. Like the former, he gets the job done and he'll bust a gut to do it. Love it :drool:

Marcus

To be fair, Ronaldo rarely lost his one on ones so he probably would have slotted it home, but thats no disrespect to Nani, different players. An amazing goal at a key point in time at the business end of the season. Like the former, he gets the job done and he'll bust a gut to do it. Love it :drool:
I think Nani has done well again today. One last push for the title. Come on Nani! :keano:

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"

MANCHESTER United ace Nani has been dubbed “Bob The Builder” by team-mates after taking a shine to DIY.

Pals have been ribbing the Portuguese star since he let slip that he fancies himself as a bit of a handyman.

And he keeps himself busy when not on the pitch by making improvements to his £3million mansion.

One friend said that rather than call out the club’s own in-house team of expert tradesmen, Nani recently installed new fixtures and light fittings.

An Old Trafford insider said: “It’s fair to say most of the lads just pick up the phone when they need something doing – even changing a plug.

“Most of them use the excuse they are too busy to get odd jobs done. But Nani is putting them all to shame.

“He mentioned the other week he was having trouble with one job and a few of the players and groundstaff piped up with Bob The Builder’s catchprase, ‘Can He Fix It...Yes He Can!’

Nani, 23 – real name Luís Carlos Almeida da Cunha – has a five-bedroom home in the same street in Wilmslow, Cheshire, as his manager Sir Alex Ferguson
Handy Nani

wr8_utd

:'(
He has been fantastic. All of last time he never got a run of games.

Now I think he's the first player on the team sheet after VDS Vida and Rooney

redwhiteblack

That's quality.

I've always liked Nani, and believed he would come good. His transition this season into a nailed on starter has been wonderful to watch.

I think I might be becoming a bit of a Nani fanboi.

mufcwarm92

He really is class. It's an amazing transformation and you gotta give him (and Fergie) credit

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Nani lands April award

04/05/2010 08:39, Report by Nick Coppack

1. Nani
2. Scholes
3. Vidic
4. Neville

Nani has broken Wayne Rooney’s stranglehold on the ManUtd.com Player of the Month award by picking up April’s gong.

The Portuguese polled an impressive 65 per cent of the vote – almost three times that of his nearest rival – to become the first player apart from Rooney to win the award in 2010.

Nobody can deny Nani deserves the April honour. He injected life into the Reds (and set up Federico Macheda’s goal) when he came on against Chelsea on 3 April before scoring two – one a contender for Goal of the Season – in United’s clash with Bayern Munich.

The winger also looked lively off the bench at Manchester City and was United’s star man when Tottenham came to town, capping the performance with a delicious chipped finish in the 81st minute. After the Spurs game, Ryan Giggs labelled Nani “a special talent”.

Paul Scholes’ efforts were also recognised in the poll, with the midfielder earning a quarter of the vote. Nemanja Vidic and Gary Neville shared the final 10 per cent.

Nani lands April award - Manchester United Official Web Site
Great news for Nani (and Marcus of course). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.