Nani

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claymore

Nani at United winds me up one of the most as a signing because in my mind I would have started him every game no matter what his form or confidence. Having the likes of Young or Valencia in the team over him was a joke, neither of those have ever managed the kind of stuff he showed, goals wise or technique and skills.

He could have, should have been better yeah but the rotation or dropping didn't help.

Mr.Plow

I'd love for this to happen. Nani was absolutely incredible for a couple of seasons.

If Mourinho can get him anywhere near that level then he'd make a very good squad player at least.

I'm not sure why Van Balls didnt give him a chance. He had a good year in Portugal but didn't even earn a pre-season assessment.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I'd love for this to happen. Nani was absolutely incredible for a couple of seasons.

If Mourinho can get him anywhere near that level then he'd make a very good squad player at least.

I'm not sure why Van Balls didnt give him a chance. He had a good year in Portugal but didn't even earn a pre-season assessment.
"absolutely incredible" might be pushing it, he had a spell of about 18 months where his decision making improved, then he slid back into the old habit of playing like he had a brain injury.

Aside from those 18 months the only thing you could say about Nani was he was consistent, he consistently chose the wrong option.

Not much to suggest anything has changed despite average enough stats over 2 years in poor leagues.

This is like letting memories of the one really good blow job your ex gave you overshadow the fact that she shagged all your mates.

Shipping him off was one of LvGs better decisions.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
With all the talk about inconsistency, it has to be remembered that he was always inconsistent when played on the left. He always seemed to be more consistent on the right, and it wasn't a coincidence that the only time in his Utd career that he showed consistency over a long period of time just so happened to line up with the only time that he was given a good run on the right wing. Otherwise he was normally played on the left wing, to allow the likes of Valencia to play on the right.

I'm not saying he'll be good enough anymore. I don't know. Haven't watched him at all since he left. But since it's the right wing that is open I wouldn't be opposed to giving him the chance.

dann496

Despite the cons of Nani, I found I will be able to tolerate his inconsistency more rather than Depay's incompetence.
Nani will offer a few of brilliance acts especially from the right wing which I still remember well but I can't say the same about Depay. In fact I just not sure what is Depay's quality.. he just look so meh and average as a winger.

Look from this way, we know what Nani will offer and hopefully this time will be better by deploying in as right winger. Short term wise, he is a sensible decision and United right now need players who can straight away perform rather than someone with unknown quality and time to adapt.

Unless we are going for a greater name like Gareth Bale who think won't available for us, I won't have any problem with Nani coming back to United.

MittenCrab

Nani at United winds me up one of the most as a signing because in my mind I would have started him every game no matter what his form or confidence. Having the likes of Young or Valencia in the team over him was a joke, neither of those have ever managed the kind of stuff he showed, goals wise or technique and skills.

He could have, should have been better yeah but the rotation or dropping didn't help.
Yes! F##king yes!!

I like Tony V but part of me finds it hard to forgive his part in the downfall of a far better player. One bad game from Nani and Fergie delivers the punishment beating of 5 games on the bench while Mr 7/10 does his one-footed thing.

Regarding the current rumours, it sounds to me as if we're lining up Nani as an option if other deals don't go through. At 29 he might not be anyone's first choice, but represents a prudent fallback.

He'll comfortably improve our right wing and cost £8m. What's not to like?

Last edited:

Larseno

This would be strange but like others I feel it was a wrong decision to get rid of Nani. Specially when we have no natural winger. Closest is Valencia. Nani would have been valuable this season. Dont know what LvG was thinking. Nani is a much better player then Lingard in my opinion.

edn33

Sack Fergie, sell Giggs, sign Mourinho and help me
Despite the cons of Nani, I found I will be able to tolerate his inconsistency more rather than Depay's incompetence.
Nani will offer a few of brilliance acts especially from the right wing which I still remember well but I can't say the same about Depay. In fact I just not sure what is Depay's quality.. he just look so meh and average as a winger.

Look from this way, we know what Nani will offer and hopefully this time will be better by deploying in as right winger. Short term wise, he is a sensible decision and United right now need players who can straight away perform rather than someone with unknown quality and time to adapt.

Unless we are going for a greater name like Gareth Bale who think won't available for us, I won't have any problem with Nani coming back to United.
Agree to the fact he is better than Depay. Perhaps Depay needs another season to settle in.

For 6Mil EUR he would be a good addition to our squad.

Footyislife

Would be the second best winger on the team. Even if we buy another winger, having him as a backup for 6 mil EUR is a no brainer. Doubt it will happen though.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He's going to sign for Inter Milan according to "O jogo", "Record" and "A bola".

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Still can't understand why Moyes gave him a five year contract and then decided to not give him game time for the rest of the season? One of the weirdest decisions the club has taken in the last three years or so.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Still can't understand why Moyes gave him a five year contract and then decided to not give him game time for the rest of the season? One of the weirdest decisions the club has taken in the last three years or so.
I thought he was injured a lot in 13/14. Or at least struggling for fitness. I was looking forward to him kicking on after being given such a vote of confidence, and hoped he'd be one our standout performers that season but it just never happened.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I thought he was injured a lot in 13/14. Or at least struggling for fitness. I was looking forward to him kicking on after being given such a vote of confidence, and hoped he'd be one our standout performers that season but it just never happened.
Was he? I don't remember but I kinda hoped that too. Was genuinely world class for 18 months. Actually there was a time when him and Valencia were pretty great. That match against Bayern where both of them combined was pretty awesome.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Was he? I don't remember but I kinda hoped that too. Was genuinely world class for 18 months. Actually there was a time when him and Valencia were pretty great. That match against Bayern where both of them combined was pretty awesome.
That was my thought too, half way through reading your post. 2009/10 they were both excellent, the Bayern home game in particular. They were a big reason for Rooney's 34 goals, especially his 12 from headers.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
So the Italians are finally signing Nani - I'd be interested in seeing how much the transfer fee is, and if he's had to take a pay-cut since that was used to explain why he moved to Turkey in the prime years of his career rather than go to a club in a better league when both he and RVP left us.

stevoc

Why did Moyes do anything?

There seemed little thought behind much of what he did, he was reluctant to sign anyone and didn't let anyone leave. Terrified from the very beginning to make the big decisions. Probably because deep down he knew he had no business being manager of Manchester United.

Oyibo

I'd presumed he got the five year contract to ensure we got some half-decent money.
Despite some great memories, towards the end his selfishness was becoming annoying.
Would not want him back : not after all the talk of Ronnie coming back every year. It would be like a downgrade..
Good luck at Inter, and thanks for the memories..

ravi2

This would be strange but like others I feel it was a wrong decision to get rid of Nani. Specially when we have no natural winger. Closest is Valencia. Nani would have been valuable this season. Dont know what LvG was thinking. Nani is a much better player then Lingard in my opinion.

That really isnt saying much.

Larseno

That really isnt saying much.
Of course it does. When LvG chose to get rid of Nani its VERY relevant. Im not saying we have to buy him back, but to sell him and not replace him with a new signing was a big mistake in my opinion. So its says a lot to sell Nani and depend on Lingard to do the job.

ottosec

I like him a lot, good to see him to go Inter. Hopefully he does well, I think he's a very good layer.

red4ever 79

Good move for Nani if true. I think we all agree that in retrospect it would have been better to keep him than offload him to Turkish football. He was certainly better than Lingard or Mata on the right hand side.

Yet another stupid move from Van Gaal, we should only let players go if a) we already have someone better to replace them b) we are signing someone better to replace them.

We did neither in this case, and suffered to an extent with our poor attacking performances.

That being said, I wouldn't want him back at Utd now either. To challenge for the title next season which is a mandatory requirement, we need to be aiming for a higher caliber of players

gav81

The reports are saying Inter have agreed personal terms with Nani but would like to negotiate down the £6.3m release clause. That is exactly the same situation United are reported to be in. It could be that he goes to the highest bidder then.

It's only now that Inter have been mentioned I realise how disappointed I'd be if we don't get Nani back. I think we need some of that old United attacking flair and excitement to return. What other realistic transfer targets can do that better?

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
i'll make a deal with you pro-nani lot. if we can get rid of young and valencia, we can have nani back. but we can't have three largely unproductive/ineffective wingers/wingbacks around 30 or older.

and on top of that, you have to promise you won't come back later begging for us to sign anderson back as well. under no circumstances would that be tolerated.

prath92

Of course it does. When LvG chose to get rid of Nani its VERY relevant. Im not saying we have to buy him back, but to sell him and not replace him with a new signing was a big mistake in my opinion. So its says a lot to sell Nani and depend on Lingard to do the job.
Because nani in his bad days was a liability offensively and defensively. Lingard at least tracks back and is disciplined. This is the exact reason why SAF played Valencia and Young over him too. Especially on the left you need someone who tracks back as evra was defensively questions towards the end.

Larseno

Because nani in his bad days was a liability offensively and defensively. Lingard at least tracks back and is disciplined. This is the exact reason why SAF played Valencia and Young over him too. Especially on the left you need someone who tracks back as evra was defensively questions towards the end.
Agree to disagree. There is a lot of players who havent performed well after the SAF's era. And you say Nani didnt play left because of Evra. Thats exactly what he did in the game against Real Madrid in SAF's last season. And I think he played really good until he god wrongly dismissed from the match. Nani does not have Lingards work ethics but he wasnt bad defensively in my opinion. He was way more balanced in defense - attack skillwise. Lingard is practically useless when with ball. Without ball he is pretty good.

I stand by what I said. It would have been good to keep Nani this season when you see the lack of signings on right wing. And I believe in this 100%.

prath92

Agree to disagree. There is a lot of players who havent performed well after the SAF's era. And you say Nani didnt play left because of Evra. Thats exactly what he did in the game against Real Madrid in SAF's last season. And I think he played really good until he god wrongly dismissed from the match. Nani does not have Lingards work ethics but he wasnt bad defensively in my opinion. He was way more balanced in defense - attack skillwise. Lingard is practically useless when with ball. Without ball he is pretty good.

I stand by what I said. It would have been good to keep Nani this season when you see the lack of signings on right wing. And I believe in this 100%.
Lingard isn't useless. He isn't world class that's all. He is a good outlet for us. He scored close to 6 goals for us even though he isn't an integral part of our attack. Nani in a vastly inferior league where he would be a major outlet scored 13. Not sure nani would be all that useful for us.

Nani was like Memphis defensively. Not sure how anyone can disagree with that

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Lingard isn't useless. He isn't world class that's all. He is a good outlet for us. He scored close to 6 goals for us even though he isn't an integral part of our attack. Nani in a vastly inferior league where he would be a major outlet scored 13. Not sure nani would be all that useful for us.

Nani was like Memphis defensively. Not sure how anyone can disagree with that
I can disagree becasue Nani being weak defensivelly is a.myth.

tombob

Worth a punt for 6m and hes better than anything we have at moment. In football terms what does 6m buy you?

PS. He's just scored.

Status
Not open for further replies.