Nani

AFC NimbleThumb

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...n-ronaldo-giggs-scholes-messi-and-moscow-2008

Great read. Love reading up on the good old days... they'll return. Right? :nervous:

On the 4-0 v Arsenal:

:lol:
Singles out Darren Fletcher for his quality in the article yet ITKs round here dare mention McAverage & Fred in the same breath.

Great read. I particularly like the Arsenal stuff as well; genuinely hate losing to them more than anyone else; by the time Fergie left we’d well & truly put them in there place yet here we are a few weeks ago being mugged off but I digress.

Loved Nani, vastly undervalued when you look at the praise some of the dross we currently employ get on here. Far from the most consistent player but I’d shift the majority of our current squad to have a player of his quality as our RW.

United58

Loved Nani, vastly undervalued when you look at the praise some of the dross we currently employ get on here. Far from the most consistent player but I’d shift the majority of our current squad to have a player of his quality as our RW.
Nani 2010-2012 was one of the best players in the league, unbelievable player at his best. Pity about the inconsistencies

AFC NimbleThumb

Nani 2010-2012 was one of the best players in the league, unbelievable player at his best. Pity about the inconsistencies
Thing I loved about him was he was a true big game player; he wouldn’t shirk responsibility & would try things against the best teams. Obviously not always a success but the testament is that his best moments came against the likes of Liverpool & Arsenal.

He’s obviously not a typical captain but players with his ability & character are sorely missed in our squad.

simplyared

When on song he was a class act, no doubt about that. Used to love the way he'd cut in from his right wing positition and almost effortless find the net with his left foot. Brilliant technique!

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Such a good player. Always baffles me that we sacrificed his talent for Valencia. Amad has Nani vibes about him.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Such a good player. Always baffles me that we sacrificed his talent for Valencia. Amad has Nani vibes about him.
Valencia 09-12 was better. The only real period where Nani excelled with any consistency was when Valencia was injured in 10/11 and even then Nani began to drop off before Valencia returned. 11/12 Nani started so well and lost his place to Valencia who was unreal that season. It’s not baffling - one was just much more reliable than the other.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
He was so frustrating to watch at times but when he was good he was genuinely world-class. Fergie managed him really well, reportedly bollocking the likes of Rooney and Giggs when Nani was below par as the player would not have reacted well to a fiery Glaswegian in his face, and gave him decent latitude to play himself into form and produce moments of quality.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Valencia 09-12 was better. The only real period where Nani excelled with any consistency was when Valencia was injured in 10/11 and even then Nani began to drop off before Valencia returned. 11/12 Nani started so well and lost his place to Valencia who was unreal that season. It’s not baffling - one was just much more reliable than the other.
Nah totally disagree. We had two wingers, one could only play on the right and the other could play both. Nani was better than Valencia, but you couldn’t play Valencia on the left.

The period Valencia got injured and Nani was allowed to play in his best position he was one of the best players in the league. Valencia was never capable of that level of performance.

Valencia was just extremely limited as a winger.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Nani was the better player out of the two when he was shoehorned on the left to fit in Valencia. The latter was great as well, but it always felt unfair that Nani was played out of position simply because he could — and Tony was unable to play anywhere else.

Offside

Nah totally disagree. We had two wingers, one could only play on the right and the other could play both. Nani was better than Valencia, but you couldn’t play Valencia on the left.

The period Valencia got injured and Nani was allowed to play in his best position he was one of the best players in the league. Valencia was never capable of that level of performance.

Not sure. Valencia 2011-12 was arguably better than Nani 2010-11. Although I agree in terms of flair and brilliance, but not consistency.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Not sure. Valencia 2011-12 was arguably better than Nani 2010-11. Although I agree in terms of flair and brilliance, but not consistency.
No way. Valencia was great but Nani was probably the best winger in Europe that year. He averaged a goal/assist a game!

AaronRedDevil

Besides the first season. Valencia was basically useless in attack. That's why he got put into RB so he didn't have to the main winger, because his crossing was shite and he's never an attacking threat. Probably the easiest player ever to defend against. Fake going left, runs right and crosses it. 80 times a match

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Besides the first season. Valencia was basically useless in attack
Nah he was excellent in the latter half of 10/11 and especially during 11/12. 12/13 is when his game fell apart for some reason.

Nani had two excellent calendar years in 2010 and 2011. Even so he was still dropped in the latter half of 10/11 and missed the CL final.

Offside

Besides the first season. Valencia was basically useless in attack. That's why he got put into RB so he didn't have to the main winger, because his crossing was shite and he's never an attacking threat. Probably the easiest player ever to defend against. Fake going left, runs right and crosses it. 80 times a match
Nonsense. Was unplayable for a while in 2012.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Valencia’s best season being better than Nani’s best season seems an odd take. Never heard much of that.

Opinions of course, but Valencia had one season of good productivity. Nani had a year where he truly terrorised teams.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Remember Nani was better than Bale once!!! Valencia can't ever say that!

Rossa

Didn’t Guardiola quote him as the best winger in the world at one point? And I think it was Blackburn who double marked him with the Olsson brothers, and even that failed. Yes he was limited, but his strengths at that time far outweighed it.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Nah he was excellent in the latter half of 10/11 and especially during 11/12. 12/13 is when his game fell apart for some reason.

Nani had two excellent calendar years in 2010 and 2011. Even so he was still dropped in the latter half of 10/11 and missed the CL final.
He wasn't dropped, he got injured and then Valencia came back in really good form and he couldn't get his place back. He also contributed far more in his substitute appearance in the final than Valencia did and arguably should have started.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Nani was a matchwinner Valencia could never dream to be one. At no point in his career he was even as good as Nani was at his best.

At his best Valencia would assist one or two goals, at his best Nani would score one or two and also assist one or two goals.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Didn’t Guardiola quote him as the best winger in the world at one point? And I think it was Blackburn who double marked him with the Olsson brothers, and even that failed. Yes he was limited, but his strengths at that time far outweighed it.
Peps said a lot of strange things, but yeah better than Bale, Ribery and Robben of course

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Dropping Nani for Valencia - Young combination was around when the zombie football thread here became very active, and it's not a coincidence. Nani's productivity for about 2.5 seasons prior was astounding.

stevoc

Arguably yes, I don't think he was but Valencia was playing in his best position and Nani was mostly on the left. How would they have fared had Nani played in his best position on the right all the time and Valencia been the one shunted out to the left. As much as I liked Tony V Nani was a better player on pretty much every level.

stevoc

Mate you must have been watching different matches than i was, Nani was sensational at times in 2011. Valencia was a very good player but never capable of the level of performance Nani was.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Nani was a matchwinner Valencia could never dream of becoming.

He was also more shite than Nani ever was for more than 2 years and was the most consistent player in our first XI just because he was safe option, just like Fabio, Rafael, Gibson, etc. were safer option in the midfield than young Pogba. Or later Darmian ahead of Rafael, Rojo ahead of Evans, etc. Managers make mistakes and make choices, doesn't mean everything they do is right.

Valencia was our worst player in CL final by a mile; he was lost and Nani came on and was our best player in those 20ish minutes.

Valencia was a good winger and very good winger at one point, who played far more than he should have overall, and that's about it. Of course Nani had his problems too.

stevoc

It's still criminal that Van Gaal shunted Nani out of the club to seal a deal for Marcos fecking Rojo and then complained that he didn't have enough creative players.

Louis really didn't have a clue how to build a team.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Peps said a lot of strange things, but yeah better than Bale, Ribery and Robben of course
For that season he was. Depending on whether you classed Messi and Ronaldo as wingers at that stage, Nani was the best of the rest (with Di Maria being his main competition that season).

The only time Nani was played consistently on the right he was the best player in the league and was probably the main reason we won the title that season. Unfortunately the rest of his time with us he was generally played on the left, where he was capable of having incredible matches but was never able to show the consistency he did on the right.

hubbuh

To be fair, it looks like VAR actually saved the goal this time after the linesman would have wrongly disallowed it.
Shit, you're totally fecking right :lol: I managed to do the opposite of what I was hoping to do with that post.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
One of my favorite players. Sad to see him move on so early, probably more down to our coaching carrousel at the time.

Rossa

That one season, he arguably was. Overall, I preferred Nani, but Valencia at his best struck fear into most defenders. His speed and strength was pretty much unmatched. At one point, he even knew how to cross...