Nathan Ake (Close to signing for Man City, £40m fee)

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think he will leave but I don't rate him as a top CB. I don't think he's better than Maguire and he's probably on par with Lindelof. You need someone that's better than Lindelof, not more back-up CBs.

Robbie Boy

I like him he's a good footballer, but like Lindelof, he's not a great defender at all. For me, Lindelof is better but that's just my opinion. If we are going to be in the market for a CB partner for Maguire, then we need one of the best around and Ake doesn't fit that bill. He strikes me me as more a squad option player in a strong squad.

mu4c_20le

I think he will leave but I don't rate him as a top CB. I don't think he's better than Maguire and he's probably on par with Lindelof. You need someone that's better than Lindelof, not more back-up CBs.
If he ain't afraid to head the ball, then he's better than Lindelof.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Said when Bournemouth had him on loan that he could play for any team in the league. He’s a very good player. He’s a little short but has always seemed good in the air to me. I’m sure there’s some sort of ‘expected headers’ or other nonsense to disprove that though.

Exactly my thoughts too.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I’m pretty sure he says “you need abit of luck sometimes. Just keep going”
You're only saying that because of the caption. He does say we need a left footed centre back so keep going"

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yeh listening to it again you are right.
On my first listen I also thought it was that but that was because I saw the caption first, weird how your brain tricks you like that.

After listening to it again it's clear - but I think Ole was just being cheeky rather than tapping him up.

neilv93

Need depth at the back. Smalling likely to stay at Roma, Jones and Rojo hopefully off, Bailly's future up in the air and Tuanzebe seems to be having a really hard time with injuries. Would make sense to get him in. Leaves us with Lindelof and Maguire so thin at the back.
He'd also count towards the increasingly-more-important-these-days homegrown quota.

jamesjimmybyrondean

On my first listen I also thought it was that but that was because I saw the caption first, weird how your brain tricks you like that.

After listening to it again it's clear - but I think Ole was just being cheeky rather than tapping him up.
Yeah he was definitely just being cheeky but it does expose our search for a left footed CB

croadyman

United should be targeting a tier 1 central defender don't ask me who that is, because the club employs scouts for that. Buying a second rate defender like Ake to play alongside our second rate central defence is the definition of insanity and it won't take the team forward. Buying a central defender is more important than buying Sancho in my opinion. It would be stupid to spend 120 million on Sancho anyway. He is good but massively overrated on here
Koulibaly is surely the obvious one

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think he's good as a mid-level Prem player. Someone like an Everton or a Spurs (ha) should take him when they go down.

Because he's so agile and athletic he has some great looking moments in games, but I don't think he has the nous to be a top quality centre back.

He's Bournemouth's best player but that's like saying I'm the best player in my house. Not Utd quality.
Bollocks

I've heard you're not the best player in your house.

Lynty

Never really paid attention to him. From reading comments here, sounds like a pacey Daley Blind.

If that's the case i'm all aboard. Loved that guy.

miked99

Is Ake really that good? I honestly don't pay close enough attention to know his game in great detail. Unless he's clearly better than Lindelof then I don't see the point. Last thing we want is another option who is merely 'decent'.

Walters_19_MuFc

I think he's good as a mid-level Prem player. Someone like an Everton or a Spurs (ha) should take him when they go down.

Because he's so agile and athletic he has some great looking moments in games, but I don't think he has the nous to be a top quality centre back.

Bollocks

I've heard you're not the best player in your house.
:lol:

MrSingh2002

He's better than Lindelof so it's a no brainer.

He's better than Jones, Smalling and Rojo so that's a no brainer too.

Only question is whether he would be being signed to be a reserve for Maguire on the left side of CB or to play alongside him.

If we were to sign Ake I'd want him to play LCB with Maguire moving to RCB so he can be sandwiched between Ake and AWB players who have more pace than him.

Ake doesn't have blistering pace but his pace combined with his aggressive tackling is more than enough to replace our current crop of centre backs.

He's better in the air in both boxes than Lindelof and has 2 goals and assists so far this season.

He's featured in half of the Netherlands games and now is starting at CB in a squad containing Van Dyke, De Ligt, De Vrij and Blind.

Clearly made good strides in his development the past couple of years and I could see any of the top 8 teams signing him this summer. With the amount of centre backs possibly leaving this year we could get Ake plus another CB anyway.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I thought he wasn't very good aerially at all but I haven't seen him alot so could be mistaken. Would be a good squad player if we can get him on the cheap but I don't think he's good enough to be a starter for a team that wants to win the UCL. Unless he's converted to being a DM where I think he could be very good for us.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
We need more English players. Him and King would fit the bill perfectly and be available on a cheap when Bournemouth are relegated.

Craig Ward

I've always liked Ake.

He's already capable of playing to a decent premier league standard, with the move to a big club he could improve again.

Bournemouth (when on song) play a good brand of football so he's technically good with the ball etc. For a ball playing CB, i find Lindelof to be a bit sub standard in that department.

I've only really seen Maguire at the left side of CB too, be interesting to see if he can maintain his current level from RCB.

I wouldn't be desperate to sign Ake, but it wouldn't be the worse thing we could do.

Upamencano remains the best choice out there for me

Rolaholic

He's been linked to a return back to Chelsea and City ion recent weeks but I wouldn't mind having him as an option for us at all.

Maguire definitely needs a pacy partner back there if we're going to get the best out of him imo.

He might be able to be signed for a decent fee this summer too with Bournemouth looking like they'll be relegated

Copa Mundial

I appreciate this will not be many folks cup of tea but if we are looking at a centre back from a relegated team I would go with Tyrone Mings instead. He's 6ft 5 and left footed and think he and Maguire could form a formidable partnership.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
He's better than Lindelof so it's a no brainer.

He's better than Jones, Smalling and Rojo so that's a no brainer too.

Only question is whether he would be being signed to be a reserve for Maguire on the left side of CB or to play alongside him.

If we were to sign Ake I'd want him to play LCB with Maguire moving to RCB so he can be sandwiched between Ake and AWB players who have more pace than him.

Ake doesn't have blistering pace but his pace combined with his aggressive tackling is more than enough to replace our current crop of centre backs.

He's better in the air in both boxes than Lindelof and has 2 goals and assists so far this season.

He's featured in half of the Netherlands games and now is starting at CB in a squad containing Van Dyke, De Ligt, De Vrij and Blind.

Clearly made good strides in his development the past couple of years and I could see any of the top 8 teams signing him this summer. With the amount of centre backs possibly leaving this year we could get Ake plus another CB anyway.
Ake's a starting centreback for Holland? What?

Holland has a definitive centreback pairing Van Dijk - De Ligt
the only other player who even gets a look in as an option is De Vrij, arguably the best centreback in the Serie A this season.

Ake only ever gets a look in at left back, but even Blind usually starts ahead of him on that position, despite Blind being really below his level when playing at that position nowadays

RUCK4444

Overrated. Typical of any CB that can play a bit with his feet. Couldn't cut it back at Chelsea. Don't think he's worth the effort unless it's as a backup in replace of Jones.