Nathan Ake (Close to signing for Man City, £40m fee)

Robertd0803

I am not fully on board the Ake train either but it’s a bit harsh to compare the record of a team in the bottom half of the table. Of course they are going to concede a lot. It’s not just him in defense. The rest of them are shit.
True, its similar to Grealish being miles better than the team hes playing for.

£41 million is just insane though, they could have just as easily got him for at least 10/15 million less if Bournemouth were that desperate for cash. Or are they just trying to ruin the market for everyone else?

Dont get me wrong I like Ake (and was quite complimentary about him in post match threads) but thats a crazy fee.

GazTheLegend

Such a profound opinion but have to disagree, Ed Woodward is a shitehouse when it comes to negotiations and transfers. City have had ONE bad year and their getting business done early. Torres and Ake are solid deals. But don’t worry, Ed and the club board are also responding with “:rolleyes:“, so you have a lot in common with incompetent Ed.
You're very angry for a Canadian

These tirades against Ed Woodward are getting tiresome. 41 million is stupid money for a relegated player from a team in trouble, only City have the money to gamble it all in the current climate particularly. Chelsea had first refusal and decided not to go in, there's a reason for that.

He might end up looking world class under Pep, but its difficult to say if Ake is even on Lindelofs level

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Ake is a brilliant player and proper captain material. No idea why Chelsea turned down the buy-back option. Huge signing for City though they have problems with other parts of their ageing team.

VanGaalEra

Jheez, I thought he was available for £20M? Relegated club and he's not even in the top couple tiers of CB's.

£41M seems a bit steep.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He can take the step up. His physical qualities is superb, good 1 vs 1 and I don't think he has lapses of concentration anymore. With proper coaching and introduction to the City system a quick player like him can save City's ass and he'll be praised for it consistently.

Craig Ward

41m is steep but its a good signing for them nontheless.

No idea why Chelsea didnt take up the option - he's far better than anything they have.

City and Chelsea making good progress in the market so far.

Ake and Torres for City are two great deals done early.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Jheez, I thought he was available for £20M? Relegated club and he's not even in the top couple tiers of CB's.

£41M seems a bit steep.
True, its similar to Grealish being miles better than the team hes playing for.

£41 million is just insane though, they could have just as easily got him for at least 10/15 million less if Bournemouth were that desperate for cash. Or are they just trying to ruin the market for everyone else?

Dont get me wrong I like Ake (and was quite complimentary about him in post match threads) but thats a crazy fee.
41m is abit high in this market, but its not insane.
How many decent players really went for just 20m though?
I'd say he is worth 30-35m, its not much a big difference.

jesperjaap

I know there is the settling in a new culture and league thing with signing players from abroad and also we look abroad and over rate players often from other leagues.....but £41m?

Ake has had a good season and progressed, but is he one of the best centre backs in the league, is he a top top defender and does he sort the problems for City at the back? Not sure the answer is yes for any of those questions, but to be fair I thought the same of Kyle Walker signing for even more.

I think he is a better signing for City than he would be for us as he has a top defender next to him, I dont think Maguire is though good a top defender.

But I go back to £41m....is he better than Upamecano or Konate , certainly not in my opinion and both would probably be a similar price. Is he as good as others I havent seen a huge deal of like Gabriel, Pau Torres, Kabak for example?

People saying no way spend Grealish for £80m, players just as good for half the money. Yet Ake is a good signing when there are also players for the same price definately better and others just as good for half the price

Ekeke

Bournemouth have done well here to get £40 million+ for him. They have some young CB who will be more than fine for the championship

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Great signing

Backup/can challenge Laporte for that LCM spot. Also can rotate at LB

Also, City's defensive issues this season were not due to their defensive line, it was due to their porous midfield. If that's not fixed next season, put Van Dijk at the back, they're still conceding a shit ton (as it stands they've conceded only 3 goals more than Liverpool in the league)

Devil81

40 million steep for a top CB, doesn't seem steep to me as he will develop well in a better team.

Castia

£40m in this market is a complete bargain, good deal imo.

Castia

If that’s a bargain what would 65m for grealish be?
Centre backs seem to be few and far between though in quality, your always going to pay a decent fee for a good CB these days. I dont think 40m is bad

Offsideagain

SAF used to let it be known he was interested in player x only for City to dash out and sign him. They usually turned out to be average. Stones springs to mind. Anyway, City, as usual act quickly. £40m for Ake is the published figure but I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a sweetener somewhere as they offered Napoli for Cavani some years ago. In the meantime, Ed is sitting on his chequebook and will leave it until the last minute again so Sancho will not be fit or trained with the team.

Charlie Foley

Was way too good to stay at Bournemouth. Personally I was hoping he’d coming to United. I think he’s a player who can make the step up upon arrival at a big club (or City in this case). Has some really good attributes.

nice bit of money for Bournemouth which I’m glad to see. Hope they can have a good season next year.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I don't believe he is any better than what we have. If we are going for a CB it has to be a very obvious upgrade - I don't see Ake as that

Okey

Good for them. I've never rated him that highly. He won't be a reason for any change in their fortunes.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Good move for Aké and useful for City. Even if he won't be a starter, at least they'll have some quality backup.

The fee does suggest that the market implosion due to COVID-19 isn't really happening. Or at least, I see no signs of it in actual transfers.

SAFMUTD

Im surprised how City managed to get Ferran for 25M and will spend 41M on Ake who's on a team that got relegated and doesnt have a relegation clause, meaning Bournemouth has to pay his entire fees while being in the championship, I would have thought he would be available for around 25M.

I like Ake, I think he's good not to be a nailed starter but to compete for a starting spot in any top team, but spending 41M on him seems a little over the top.

Offsideagain

You're very angry for a Canadian

These tirades against Ed Woodward are getting tiresome. 41 million is stupid money for a relegated player from a team in trouble, only City have the money to gamble it all in the current climate particularly. Chelsea had first refusal and decided not to go in, there's a reason for that.

He might end up looking world class under Pep, but its difficult to say if Ake is even on Lindelofs level
He might only be with the genius Guardiola ( Over a billion spent on players at three clubs) for another year as his contract ends in 12 months and he usually moves on to pastures new. Barca job will probably be open then. City are probably already interviewing or sign Poch and told him to keep quite.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
If Ake is worth 41 mil... Sancho is worth how much?

This market is crazy!!
It is mental. You’ve got PSG to thank for that spunking £200M on Neymar. It put the whole market up. I think Ake is a good signing for them. I hope it’s not another one we wished United had signed.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I know there is the settling in a new culture and league thing with signing players from abroad and also we look abroad and over rate players often from other leagues.....but £41m?

Ake has had a good season and progressed, but is he one of the best centre backs in the league, is he a top top defender and does he sort the problems for City at the back? Not sure the answer is yes for any of those questions, but to be fair I thought the same of Kyle Walker signing for even more.

I think he is a better signing for City than he would be for us as he has a top defender next to him, I dont think Maguire is though good a top defender.

But I go back to £41m....is he better than Upamecano or Konate , certainly not in my opinion and both would probably be a similar price. Is he as good as others I havent seen a huge deal of like Gabriel, Pau Torres, Kabak for example?

People saying no way spend Grealish for £80m, players just as good for half the money. Yet Ake is a good signing when there are also players for the same price definately better and others just as good for half the price
Consider we did pay 80m for Maguire last summer, 41m for Ake is about acceptable, even in this market to be honest.
Argument being, there isn't many decent CB available in the market, hence we paid over the odds for Maguire. If this stays correct, then I see no big deal for City paying 41m for Ake.

Last edited:

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
If people think this is mental, wait until they sign their main CB for even more money. This isn’t even it!

cyril C

£41M seems a bit steep.
Ake was sold to Bournemouth for 20m, so they are not going to sell him at 20m. I recall 40m was the buy back clause for Chelsea should they trigger it. City can bargain at 35m but then what is a few m to City, and letting the sage dragging on for 2-3 months. The most important point is whether he meets their requirement, at least as #3 CB.

IMO he is a good CB.

shahzy

No idea why Chelsea didnt take up the option - he's far better than anything they have.
If i had to guess its probably that they didnt think Ake was anywhere near 41mil. Which is a plain rip off. You might as well pay a little more and get Koulibaly. Prices for average players in england is so excessive as it has been for a decade or more

Pep's Suit

If i had to guess its probably that they didnt think Ake was anywhere near 41mil. Which is a plain rip off. You might as well pay a little more and get Koulibaly. Prices for average players in england is so excessive as it has been for a decade or more
Napoli want €80-90m.

Varun

Staff
City journos have basically been saying that they want 2 profile of players. Aké is their backup/rotation/may make it profile, koulibaly is the elite profile player. Independent deals.