Nathan Ake (Close to signing for Man City, £40m fee)

croadyman

OK, I wouldn't be over the moon with signing him as I think we need a better defender than anyone we currently have, but he's being underestimated quite a bit on here. It's OK to not want to sign him but still recognise that he's a good defender.
Yeah there is no doubt he is a good defender but we need a top drawer one like either Konate or Upamecano

redsunited

I do agree with this generally but if the money is low enough then I won’t be completely against it. If Bournemouth get relegated then I read his fee could be down to 20m. Obviously I don’t know if it’s true but hypothetically let’s say it is. Sometimes bringing in players with some potential and playing them in a team with better players might make them better. Vidic and Evra weren’t world beaters when he got them. But we turned them into world class players. Again I’m not saying Ake is going to turn into one but for 20m it might be worth a punt. At that price the risk is low and the reward is good enough.
Let's say Matic is retiring. We can go for an average player to replace if no exciting player is available and money is right. We already have numbers and loads of average players in Central defense who we struggle to move and in comparatively big money contracts to their actual abilities. When United sign someone regardless of transfer fee, the wages will be high. We are not spurs to do wheeler dealer contracts. If we are interested, the fee also will be 25m to 30m where as 20m for other clubs.

I agree with you that I too like those opportunistic contracts done by clubs like Chelsea for average players, the difference is they shift the players quickly if they didn't seem good enough. We don't. So it is better for us to choose wisely.

redsunited

They also got Winjaldum, Robertson, Oxlade, Matip, Minamino and Solanke.
It seems you are pointing at their mistakes. Is it something we too should follow? Learn from others success and mistakes.

Most of them are very cheap punts. Even for 20m Ake is only a stop gap. Never buy an average central defender who is less than 6 feet. He can improve his play, still will fall short in certain areas of the game. In our team, he can only play with MacGuire. Others are already poor in the air and/or heading ability.

Last edited:

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Let's say Matic is retiring. We can go for an average player to replace if no exciting player is available and money is right. We already have numbers and loads of average players in Central defense who we struggle to move and in comparatively big money contracts to their actual abilities. When United sign someone regardless of transfer fee, the wages will be high. We are not spurs to do wheeler dealer contracts. If we are interested, the fee also will be 25m to 30m where as 20m for other clubs.

I agree with you that I too like those opportunistic contracts done by clubs like Chelsea for average players, the difference is they shift the players quickly if they didn't seem good enough. We don't. So it is better for us to choose wisely.
Ok but hypothetically what if our options this summer are no CB signing or sign Ake for 20m?

redsunited

Ok but hypothetically what if our options this summer are no CB signing or sign Ake for 20m?
Upamecano or I prefer to continue with the players we have in central defense than Ake. We dont lack in numbers.

1. Sancho - priority
2. Grealish - if money is right.
3. Central defense. Upamecano if possible as he has only 1 year left in his current contract and has tons of experience in top flight considering his age compared to others in similar or few years older. I don't see any other good option.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I think he’s bang average. I’m surprised you’re even linked with him.

Isn’t Smalling only on loan? He’d be a better bet. He’s better than Ake.

Okey

I find myself completely agreeing with this.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Ake is better than Lindelof & Bailly. I'm not sure how people get the idea Lindelof or even Bailly are better. I have seen what he is capable of on the ball, I can say he's much better than Lindelof in term of ball playing.

Defensively, he's still better than Lindelof (just look at stats below).

Lindelof lost in the air against Schlupp (178cm) who is 2 cm shorter than Ake. The issue about Lindelof isn't only he's weak but he also can't even aim the ball properly with his head, I wouldn't say the same thing on Ake. Ake has scored 11 league goals with Bournemouth in 4 seasons, I'm sure most of the goals or may be all of them came from heading. That's still pretty good for a centre back.

Apparently his team mate Ramsdale thinks he has the potential to play for top club as he's actually much much better player than what lot of people think he is right now (1:30).

I personally think he's an upgrade of Lindelof. Whether he can take us into the next level to play next to Maguire is something I have doubt since I've seen him making easy mistakes. However, His transfer value is around 25m-35m thanks to his club's performance this season which is much cheaper than nowdays centre back. If we decide to go for him, I can understand the reason of it because there is a value of worth a punt, he has good potential and he is proven PL experienced centre back.

Champagne Football

Tuanzebe can be world class if he can go next season without injuries. He'd easily be ahead of Lindelof now if it wasn't for an injury ravished season. I think Ole will give him 1 more season to prove he can stay fit and no other CB will be signed

gajender

Tuanzebe can be world class if he can go next season without injuries. He'd easily be ahead of Lindelof now if it wasn't for an injury ravished season. I think Ole will give him 1 more season to prove he can stay fit and no other CB will be signed
Tuanzebe has yet prove that he belongs at this level let alone being world class. If he can have long and successful career at Pl level then he would have done well for himself anything above that is just wishful thinking.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
well this one (who has been watching football for more than 50 years) wouldn't. ever.
Why not? Ake is solid & dependable. Bailly, while perhaps more talented, is neither of those things.
What has he shown to justify that? Villa fans saw him as the weak link of their defence when he actually was fit. He’s fast & fairly strong but he’s poor in the air & has mistakes in him. He’s not the best positionally either.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Why not? Ake is solid & dependable. Bailly, while perhaps more talented, is neither of those things.

What has he shown to justify that? Villa fans saw him as the weak link of their defence when he actually was fit. He’s fast & fairly strong but he’s poor in the air & has mistakes in him. He’s not the best positionally either.
Bailly needs a run in the team - which is what I was saying for months about Lindelof (and been proved right). I agree he might not get that but Ake looks like an accident waiting to happen, reminding me of Smalling

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Bailly needs a run in the team - which is what I was saying for months about Lindelof (and been proved right). I agree he might not get that but Ake looks like an accident waiting to happen, reminding me of Smalling
Bailly was signed as a starter. The reason he can’t get a run in the team is because he can’t stay fit for more than a month.

If Ake is an accident waiting to happen than what is Bailly? He’s one of the most erratic CBs I’ve ever seen.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Bailly was signed as a starter. The reason he can’t get a run in the team is because he can’t stay fit for more than a month.

If Ake is an accident waiting to happen than what is Bailly? He’s one of the most erratic CBs I’ve ever seen.
Which is what people here were saying about Lindelof 12 months ago. Bailly reads the game very well and seems happy as back-up. Would Ake be?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Which is what people here were saying about Lindelof 12 months ago. Bailly reads the game very well and seems happy as back-up. Would Ake be?
Mate we’re Manchester United ffs. This guy plays for Bournemouth & he’s about to go down, you think he’s going to be demanding a starting place? We need depth at centre back. Only Maguire & Lindelof can be trusted to be fit for a season. Relying on Bailly/Tuanzebe/Jones(shudder) to be 3rd choice is a recipe for disaster. Ake would happily be a squad player & most importantly would be available should anything happen to our starters. You can’t trust Bailly to be.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I'd trust Ake to give Maguire a game or two off every now and then. I wouldn't trust a Bailly - Lindelöf partnership the same.

well this one (who has been watching football for more than 50 years) wouldn't. ever.
I would have thought over such a long period of time you would have realised that having a player like Bailly, who can’t stay fit, and who when does play is such a mixed bag is not what we want or need.

El-Manos

He wouldn’t be a starter but if we can pick him up for a good price by all means..

Nick7

Would be mental to hedge our bets on him, as talented as he was. Hasn't been fit for a prolonged period for a year and a half now.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
If he fits the profile of cheapish player that can be kindly manipulated and softly harassed by Ole into becoming a CL-winner then I'm all for this signing. Joking aside, he is really quick and while he is not really that young anymore this is exactly the right moment for him to step up. We need depth and this guy is reliable.

If we can get Sancho, Ake and a DM prospect similar to Matic I think we're settled for next season and we can move a few players on. Camavinga looks like an incredible player that would fit right into our team at DM, but I know that transfer is probably dead in the water.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I would have thought over such a long period of time you would have realised that having a player like Bailly, who can’t stay fit, and who when does play is such a mixed bag is not what we want or need.
not what I said: I said I don't see Ake as a step up

Oldyella

Agreed.

If we need to buy a CB, he needs to be better than we already have. Enough of this squad player nonsense, buy someone better than Lindelof and let him become the squad option.

M16Red

IF maguire was to get injured, the thought of Ake-Lindelof doesn’t inspire me. At all.
How about Bailly-Lindelof or even Lindelof-Jones, the latter makes me worry just typing it.

Ben Godfrey isn't a bad player there isn't much in it stat wise - Ake has scored two goals.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
How about Bailly-Lindelof or even Lindelof-Jones, the latter makes me worry just typing it.

Ben Godfrey isn't a bad player there isn't much in it stat wise - Ake has scored two goals.
He's been under the radar of late even though Norwich have been leaking goals.
Anyone actually watched his performances?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

I suggested Godfrey in the same summer with James. He’s got potential if coached right

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Never impress me, often I see him in poor positioning and not good in reading the game. However, he's still young and has lot of time to improve so it really depends on the fees.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I went on a NorwichFC fan site a few months back and the majority of them think he's being played out of position at CB. They see him as a DM.

M16Red

Watched him a couple times, he's young but has a Rio feel to his play.

He sometimes gets to deep, but all Norwich players do.

M16Red

Never impress me, often I see him in poor positioning and not good in reading the game. However, he's still young and has lot of time to improve so it really depends on the fees.
Norwich drop really deep, I wonder if he was in a team with a high press like us how he'd do.

Ake is a good player, he sometimes goes missing as well.

izec

Hard to say to be honest. I see him as a marginally better than Lindelöf if at all. If we go for a CB, i would like to go for someone with world class potential. Ake isn't that for me.

Ekeke

I suggested Godfrey in the same summer with James. He’s got potential if coached right
Norwich have the worst defensive record in the league with 7 more conceded than Bournemouth. Godfrey looks decent on the ball but has a long way to go defensively and wouldn't do the job better than Ake next season

Ekeke

Hard to say to be honest. I see him as a marginally better than Lindelöf if at all. If we go for a CB, i would like to go for someone with world class potential. Ake isn't that for me.
Ake has pretty much all Lindelof's "positive" points but he's better physically too. Faster, stronger, good leap. Is he enough of an improvement? I'm not sure. He's a better version of a similar style player and I wouldn't be looking for a CB who doesnt win the ball that much but is neat with the ball at his feet. There would be less problems, but after spending over £100 million on him and Maguire there would still be some areas where top teams could still hurt them imo

Redstar7

Mate we’re Manchester United ffs. This guy plays for Bournemouth & he’s about to go down, you think he’s going to be demanding a starting place? We need depth at centre back. Only Maguire & Lindelof can be trusted to be fit for a season. Relying on Bailly/Tuanzebe/Jones(shudder) to be 3rd choice is a recipe for disaster. Ake would happily be a squad player & most importantly would be available should anything happen to our starters. You can’t trust Bailly to be.
Van Dijk came from Southampton to Liverpool.Andy Robertson came from Hull City to Liverpool.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Norwich have the worst defensive record in the league with 7 more conceded than Bournemouth. Godfrey looks decent on the ball but has a long way to go defensively and wouldn't do the job better than Ake next season
I’m not saying he would, he’d need time and investment in coaching hours but he has all the basics

crossy1686

career ending
Think he is a sure bet. Think he will flourish given a chance at bigger club.
Agree, I think Ake is a good player and I was surprised Chelsea didn't take up the option to resign him the other season. He could easily play at a bigger club, he's good on the ball and has good positioning.