Nature is wild

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

The video is remarkable.
For a bit I was wondering where the actual creature was, until the leave started twisting in a weird way. QED! :lol:

(It probably 'helps' that I'm colourblind.)

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
This is super old and I don't get that feeling at all from the big G. That said, my gorilla reading skills are limited to say the least. If push came to shove, the puny human would merely need to right hook the animal like that guy with the kangaroo.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I have such an irrational fear of touching insects and the like! :lol:
Same!

There's a story I remember reading about - a dude on holiday went swimming in the Amazon river and accidently ingested a bit of water. He got checked out but there wasn't anything wrong with him.

Went back to Europe / wherever and he began drastically losing weight. No matter how much he would eat - and he was eating big meals and always going hungry. He eventually got checked out again and the doctors found a massive worm / snake type thing situated in his stomach - literally anything he would eat would go to this thing and grow that instead.

He eventually had it removed but it made me so freaked out about swimming anywhere with my mouth open!

Anyway - whilst writing this post I tried googling this story and found this instead :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Inside The Legend Of The Candiru, The Amazon Fish That Allegedly Targets Men’s Penises

The candiru is a tiny parasitic fish that lives in South America — and supposedly has a penchant for swimming into the human penis.

Of all of the beasts that prowl the Amazon region, few are creepier than the candiru. A parasitic freshwater catfish that’s feared even more than the dreaded piranha, the tiny candiru reportedly waits for its unsuspecting prey to step into the river before striking in the most painful way imaginable.

It’s also only about an inch and a half long — but don’t mistake its small size for weakness. In fact, terrifying stories from the region allege that the candiru has a habit of swimming right up inside unsuspecting swimmers and fishermen’s urethras — then refusing to leave.

Candiru: The Amazonian Fish That Can Swim Up Your Urethra (allthatsinteresting.com)

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Same!

There's a story I remember reading about - a dude on holiday went swimming in the Amazon river and accidently ingested a bit of water. He got checked out but there wasn't anything wrong with him.

Went back to Europe / wherever and he began drastically losing weight. No matter how much he would eat - and he was eating big meals and always going hungry. He eventually got checked out again and the doctors found a massive worm / snake type thing situated in his stomach - literally anything he would eat would go to this thing and grow that instead.

He eventually had it removed but it made me so freaked out about swimming anywhere with my mouth open!

Anyway - whilst writing this post I tried googling this story and found this instead :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Inside The Legend Of The Candiru, The Amazon Fish That Allegedly Targets Men’s Penises

The candiru is a tiny parasitic fish that lives in South America — and supposedly has a penchant for swimming into the human penis.

Of all of the beasts that prowl the Amazon region, few are creepier than the candiru. A parasitic freshwater catfish that’s feared even more than the dreaded piranha, the tiny candiru reportedly waits for its unsuspecting prey to step into the river before striking in the most painful way imaginable.

It’s also only about an inch and a half long — but don’t mistake its small size for weakness. In fact, terrifying stories from the region allege that the candiru has a habit of swimming right up inside unsuspecting swimmers and fishermen’s urethras — then refusing to leave.

Candiru: The Amazonian Fish That Can Swim Up Your Urethra (allthatsinteresting.com)
Yeah, just what I needed to know. Thanks dude!

The Corinthian

:lol:

Gotta say, that thing would have a struggle squeezing up my urethra! Not sure it could do it unnoticed anyway.
This is what it starts off as -

And here's Ice Cube and an anaconda learning about the creature in the movie Anaconda -

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Less creepy but probably cooler: How Glass Frogs Weave the World’s Best Invisibility Cloak - The Atlantic

From Nature Briefing's summary: "The glass frog (Hyalinobatrachium fleischmanni) can turn two or three times more transparent when it sleeps, by hiding almost all of its red blood cells in its liver. The organ conceals the blood with a coating of reflective crystals, making the frog almost invisible to predators. It remains a mystery how the frog survives the feat: during this time, it has almost no circulating oxygen and concentrates so much blood in its liver that it should end up with fatal clotting."

Caption: "A glass frog, viewed from its underside, while awake and active (left) or asleep (right)."

Last edited:

The Corinthian

Ants can 'sniff out' cancer in urine, scientists find
Scientists discover that ants have the ability to detect the scent of a cancerous tumour in urine.

Ants can smell cancer in urine, scientists have found.

Several types of cancer have been found to alter the smell of urine, but for the first time experts have found ants have the ability to detect the scent.

In their findings, published in the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, they said these insects could be used as a cost-effective way to identify cancers in patients.

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/ants-can-sniff-out-cancer-in-urine-scientists-find-12794810