Nba 2012-13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen

Not bad them old ass Spurs, though Heat have an insane habit of losing the first game then coming through....but these Spurs aren't the Bulls, Pacers or OKC in terms of inexperience though. I hope Wade looks at the likes of Parker and Ginobili and realizes how stupid he played for most of his solo act in Heat was, really drained him....wouldn't be overly surprised seeing him being a sixth man soon, a brilliant sixth man, but he's body wearing down, once Ray goes, they have to look into it.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Only saw the first half and the Spurs were growing into the game as the half went on, even though Miami led. Will be interesting how Miami respond in game 2...

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
From r/nba

Tony Parker's Nightcrawler spin

Ginobili's knuckle pass

https://static5.businessinsider.com/image/51b140566bb3f7573c000008/Man Utd-ginobli-pass.gif

Ginobili nutmeg

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Parker pretty highly rated, mate. Will feature in most all time top 20 lists.
Underrated in the sense that most people won't even name him in a list of the top 5 PG currently playing. They'll have Westbrook, Rose, CP3, Rondo and some random flavour of the month PG to make up the top 5 in different orders.

And unless your all time top 20 list is Spurs players or PG of all time, there's no way people will have Parker on the list of top 20 player of all time.

Justin

Underrated in the sense that most people won't even name him in a list of the top 5 PG currently playing. They'll have Westbrook, Rose, CP3, Rondo and some random flavour of the month PG to make up the top 5 in different orders.

And unless your all time top 20 list is Spurs players or PG of all time, there's no way people will have Parker on the list of top 20 player of all time.
Isn't that because everyone just hates him rather than based on ability?

uae

Desperately wants a tagline under his name
Great game! It'll be a real disappointment if this series doesn't at least go to game 6. How clutch was that from TP though? I also thought Lebron was really disappointing despite the triple double. Spurs set out to make him pass or hit jump shots and he did exactly what they wanted. He needs to be much more aggressive if Miami are going to win this.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Great game Miami should have stepped on their throats the two times they where up in stead of electing to rest Lebron and Wade. That being said the Spurs played very well Parker was at his usual high level making a mockery he was only in the all-nba second team. He is the perfect point guard for this system nobody can play it like him not even Chris Paul. Lebron was too passive gret stat line as always from him but he was not posting up and he was not getting to the basket or the free throw line much. His jump shot is so much improved but the key is to get the Spurs players in foul troble . Their team defence is great and Leonard is doing a good job like I though he would making things harder for Lebron. Bosh really needs to stop hitting all those three's he needs to get in the paint and try and get Duncan and Splitter in foul trouble. The Spurs missed a few wide open shots also. They have the upper hand now if they win 2 of the three they have at home they will win the whole thing imo. All the games will be close. Duncan is just a joy to watch the old master just chipping away at them he started off slowly but finished well. Man Utd being Man Utd also. Great great series in store 6 or 7 games.

Zen

Potential 2x Finals MVP(he'll win this one should they win) and 4 time winner not top 10 PG? C'mon now.....Nash is my favourite player post-Jordan, not sure I'd even put him above Parker, or Paul....hell not even sure I'd put Payton/Kidd over him.....probably though.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Potential 2x Finals MVP(he'll win this one should they win) and 4 time winner not top 10 PG? C'mon now.....Nash is my favourite player post-Jordan, not sure I'd even put him above Parker, or Paul....hell not even sure I'd put Payton/Kidd over him.....probably though.

:lol: You're giving him the finals MVP after one game? Anyway, Steve Nash is a back to back league MVP. Nash has almost a 3:1 A:TO ratio, Nash is one of the best PG shooters ever, possibly the best. Nash has a 90% FT rate to Parker's 75.

Jason Kidd led the league in assists five times, something Parker has never come close too. To be honest, Parker is more of a scoring guard than a point guard. It is only in these later years that he has lost a step offensively and turned into more of a creator.

elmo

Nash was unlucky with his career though. The bulk of his prime he was up against Shaq and Duncan in their prime, and by the time they were starting to fade, the Suns management decided the way forward was to let Nash polish some turds and make them look like quality players while they cut down on salary.

Considering the fact that he's one of the best shooters and facilitators in the history of the game, he's nailed on for top 10 PGs of all time.

Zen

Steve Nash also can't defend.
:lol: You're giving him the finals MVP after one game?
No I said "potential", another who struggles with their reading. He's winning it if Spurs win, LeBron is if Heat do. Two POTENIAL 2xFinals MVPS.

No one coming to the defence of Paul or Payton so there ya go, we'll take them out of that top 10 for Parker. We can real all sorts of stuff for all of them that anyone can wiki. Sometimes winning just speaks for itself. If they don't win, probably still have him in there somewhere....for now, maybe not after Paul/Rondo/Rose all done.

elmo

And they got screwed over by David Stern that one year with Amare taking one step off the bench after Nash was viciously elbowed by that scumbag Robert Horry.

Still hurts me whenever I think about it, if we had won that series, the championship was pretty much wrapped up considering how much better the Western Conference was compared to the East.

JaffyJoe

No I said "potential", another who struggles with their reading. He's winning it if Spurs win, LeBron is if Heat do. Two POTENIAL 2xFinals MVPS.

No one coming to the defence of Paul or Payton so there ya go, we'll take them out of that top 10 for Parker. We can real all sorts of stuff for all of them that anyone can wiki. Sometimes winning just speaks for itself. If they don't win, probably still have him in there somewhere....for now, maybe not after Paul/Rondo/Rose all done.

Parker is not a top 10 point guard. He is underrated but everybody in that top 10 listed earlier our best players than him. He is a system player who runs the system PERFECTLY, all those players above if you swapped them with Parker on the Spurs I see them at least matching his success. If roles where reversed i'm not so sure. He is underrated b

I would have Parker in the top 10 over Cousy but none of the others but like somebody said he is in the class of Billups, Hardaway etc. when you look at titles to determine who is a better player that is not fair imo. He benefits from being in one of the NBA's best coached teams and playing with one of the league's 5 -10 best ever players. He is a great player and he runs the Spurs offense perfectly but he is not better than Paul or Payton. Great player somewhat underrated and when he finishes he will have won more than any of them but if you put those players with the Spurs and Duncan, Pop and Ginobli do you really see the team doing any worst. He has benefited from a great situation.

Neutral

BTV
Not arguing for or against Parker. But "system player" - John Stockton was the ultimate product of a system - that damn pick'n'roll he and Karl Malone ran a zillion times.

JaffyJoe

Not arguing for or against Parker. But "system player" - John Stockton was the ultimate product of a system - that damn pick'n'roll he and Karl Malone ran a zillion times.

I agree it doesn't mean they are not good players but these systems get the most out of their skills and they may not be as good as others but have gotten the maximum out of what they had. It is a team sport and he was key in two titles but if Paul was on that team would they do worst. He is a better facilitator, defender and shooter, he is a better player one on one also. He cannot play the way Parker does running around for 38 minutes a game. But Paul is a better player. Even though Stockton and Malone are system players you fit your game around them to get the best of their abilities and you reap the rewards.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Parker and Duncan have won multiple title with endless pick and rolls. That's not really their game as much anymore, but I'd argue they did it better than Malone and Stockton.

Eboue

Come on, Chris Paul v. Tony Parker isn't even close. Parker is one of the best players at his position during his time in the league. Paul is one of the best players at his position ever.

Here are stats comparing their first 8 seasons in the league.

PPG

Paul - 18.6
Parker - 16.7

APG

Paul - 9.8
Parker - 5.6

RPG

Paul - 4.4
Parker - 3.1

SPG

Paul - 2.4
Parker - 1.0

TO/G

Paul - 2.4
Parker - 2.5

FT%

Paul - 86%
Parker - 73%

3P%

Paul - 36%
Parker - 31%

TS%

Paul - 58%
Parker - 55%

So not only is Chris Paul better at pretty much everything, he also had his meniscus removed in February of 2010. Paul before the injury was the best point guard since Magic.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pi/shareit/Fw5I0

Those are two incredible seasons, Parker isn't even close to him.

Zen

Can't beat good old stat whoring.

When CP musters a win against my boy Rose, I'll consider him decent. Though may not have the chance with Rose' impending retirement out of fear

JaffyJoe

Can't beat good old stat whoring.

When CP musters a win against my boy Rose, I'll consider him decent. Though may not have the chance with Rose' impending retirement out of fear
I agree I can't stand when people bring out stats if we looked at their last two years it would favour Parker much more. I just feel Paul is better he hasn't had the benefit of being on a great team.

Eboue

Have you guys watched every game each player has played? Why shouldn't we look at stats? They are a record of what happened. And no, even these last two years, Parker's best ever are STILL not as good as Paul's last two years.

Parker has 0.8 more PPG, 1.8 less APG, 0.6 less RPG, 1.5 less SPG, and 0.4 more TPG.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
And they got screwed over by David Stern that one year with Amare taking one step off the bench after Nash was viciously elbowed by that scumbag Robert Horry.

That was unbelievable.

If that feck wit Joe Johnson stayed and didn't run to the Hawks for a fee extra bucks, Nash would have had a ring today. :(

JaffyJoe

Have you guys watched every game each player has played? Why shouldn't we look at stats? They are a record of what happened. And no, even these last two years, Parker's best ever are STILL not as good as Paul's last two years.

Parker has 0.8 more PPG, 1.8 less APG, 0.6 less RPG, 1.5 less SPG, and 0.4 more TPG.

I agree Paul is better but just going off stats is lazy. Paul has been in decline since 08-09 so looking at his stats for 8 years is not a clear reflection of how good he is now or how Parker's role has increased. Parker has been the best in the nba this season but Paul is the better player. Those numbers are very close is my point as Parker's role in the Spurs offence has increased so have his stats and he is a more efficient player than Paul, just looking at stat's would make it more debatable than it actually is. Same way reading on wikipedia how many goals and assists a player has will only tell you so much about how well they played. It is watching them Parker is underrated and Paul is becoming slightly overrated. In one on one matches he is consistently outplayed by top point guards Parker and Westbrook consistently have the better of him in matchups.

Eboue

I agree Paul is better but just going off stats is lazy. Paul has been in decline since 08-09 so looking at his stats for 8 years is not a clear reflection of how good he is now or how Parker's role has increased. Parker has been the best in the nba this season but Paul is the better player. Those numbers are very close is my point as Parker's role in the Spurs offence has increased so have his stats and he is a more efficient player than Paul, just looking at stat's would make it more debatable than it actually is. Same way reading on wikipedia how many goals and assists a player has will only tell you so much about how well they played. It is watching them Parker is underrated and Paul is becoming slightly overrated. In one on one matches he is consistently outplayed by top point guards Parker and Westbrook consistently have the better of him in matchups.

1) Those are his stats for the last 2 years, not 8 years
2) Stats aren't lazy. Unless you can watch every single game, they are vital
3) Those numbers are NOT very close. The only thing Parker has on Paul is 0.8 more PPG. Not close at all.

JaffyJoe

1) Those are his stats for the last 2 years, not 8 years
2) Stats aren't lazy. Unless you can watch every single game, they are vital
3) Those numbers are NOT very close. The only thing Parker has on Paul is 0.8 more PPG. Not close at all.

Player X: 20.3PPG, 7.6APG, 3.0RPG, 56.1% FG, 35.3%, 3pt, 84.5%FT

Player Y: 16.9PPG, 9.7APG, 3.7RPG, 48.1%FG, 32.8% 3pt, 88.5%FT

Looking at stats it is a lot closer than I would say it is in real life. Those are from this season. That is why stats are lazy they don't take into account the fact you run different systems and who you are playing with also. Parker is a more efficient player than Chris Paul is scoring more with less shots that is a big deal. Like I said for me Parker is the better player but I have come to that conclusion by watching them both play. Stat's will never give a better picture than watching somebody play. Plus when they play Parker ALWAYS outplays him. It is closer than you think.

Eboue

I agree that Parker did have an excellent season. However, his True Shooting Percentage was STILL less than Paul's. There is a good argument to be made that Parker was better than Paul this year. I might even agree with that. But over their careers? Not even close. Parker does seem to have gotten the better of Paul head to head but Paul still has one more rebound, one more steal and two more assists per game with equal PPG and Parker having an advantage in FG%. More of a toss-up, really.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=parketo01&p2=paulch01

In the playoffs, Paul easily outplayed Parker head to head.

elmo

No GM would pick Parker over Paul, and if he did, he would be fired and for good reasons.

Parker is a good player playing on a team which utilises his skill set to near perfection, whereas Paul is a great player being wasted on teams who have no proper direction from the management.

JaffyJoe

Eboue and Elmo I am not saying Parker is better I agree with you, Paul is the comfortably the better player what I was saying is that it's not just by looking at their stats that you should come to this conclusion. Chris Bosh as a no.1 option will get you 20 point and 10 rebounds a game now he gets around 15 and 7 but he is the exact same player it is the fact that he plays with two people who get more of the ball.

Paul is younger than Parker, a better facilitator, a netter defender, a better shooter and a better player on one. Parker is a good player in a well run system which makes him look great he was the best point guard in the league this season but I would not say he is the best point guard if that makes sense.

p.s top 5 guards

1. Chris Paul
2. Tony Parker
3. Russel Westbrook
4. Derrick Rose
5. Kyrie Irving

Kyrie will be the best in the next 2 years if his defense becomes even solid he has such a complete offensive game. I would rather Westbrook but Parker plays the position better. Westbrook could be the best but he is a consistently poor shot selector and is not that great of a facilitator.

ha_rooney

@SportsCenter: Carmelo Anthony STILL leads NBA in most FG attempted this postseason (310), despite Knicks being eliminated May 18.

:lol::lol:

binary bot
Why are the odds of Spurs winning this match-up so generous? Surely it isn't that outrageous that they'll take game 2 - especially after already winning in Miami and the Pacers also winning in Miami in the last series. (I'm not very knowledgeable on Basketball)

ha_rooney

Why are the odds of Spurs winning this match-up so generous? Surely it isn't that outrageous that they'll take game 2 - especially after already winning in Miami and the Pacers also winning in Miami in the last series. (I'm not very knowledgeable on Basketball)
Probably because Miami haven't lost back to back games since January.

Will be interesting how LeBron plays. He has to take more shots but at the same time he has to facilitate. Spurs' game-plan to stop LeBron scoring by driving inside and, instead, making the other Heat players beat them worked well in Game 1. We'll see if it works tonight.

I think the spurs will win this game.

JaffyJoe

This will be a good game Miami needs this expecting 25 plus from Lebron. Bosh needs to get in the post.

ha_rooney

Very good half.

Green very hot from 3-pt land. Spurs doing a great job stopping LeBron so far but the role players have stepped up. Lets see if they can keep going....

ha_rooney

Miami lead by 10 after 3 despite Bron-Bron's shooting struggles. Big 4th quarter coming up....

ha_rooney

LeBron's block :eek:

And then the dunk for emphasis.

Status
Not open for further replies.