NBA 2016-17

VanHaal'sRedArmy

This should've been the last move not the first. Now Indy will want to demand more from Magic when they have no leverage.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Not sure you can blame Magic for this. They had to get Mozgov off their books for the shitty deal the FO made last season.
Trade away your best young guard for capspace? I get the Mozgov part but doing this move with nothing in place makes Indiana wonder why they should give up anything less for George.

And Feck Dwight. The 31st pick is more valuable than he is. He can practice all the 3s he wants in Charlotte.

entropy

Trade away your best young guard for capspace? I get the Mozgov part but doing this move with nothing in place makes Indiana wonder why they should give up anything less for George.

And Feck Dwight. The 31st pick is more valuable than he is. He can practice all the 3s he wants in Charlotte.
Oh it's shitty deal alright. Gonna cost them an arm and a leg to get PG now.

Moby

Dick
Brook Lopez is not exactly a name to get excited about but we got the Mozgov money off our books now, which opens up cap space of course. I'm still torn between trading for George now or getting him for free after next season - I think I'd rather get him as a FA and not give up any valuable assets.
And risk him going to Cleveland? Get him now.

Neutral

BTV
Man Lakers tried hard as hell to get rid of their 2nd pick. We were so close to watching Lavar crying on national TV

Damn you Vlade!!!

Kings have the 5th and 10th picks. Indiana would have wanted the 5th and the 27th + a player.

Don't think Lonzo would have been there at number 10.

Damn...so, close.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Sacramento should not do that. They can have Fox at no. 5, probably and if not then Smith, and another good talent at no. 10. No point moving up for Ball, he is not worth that.

Lakers would be right to move no. 2 to another team for a top 10 pick plus another asset though. Swapping no. 2 straight for George would be overkill.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Sacramento should not do that. They can have Fox at no. 5, probably and if not then Smith, and another good talent at no. 10. No point moving up for Ball, he is not worth that.

Lakers would be right to move no. 2 to another team for a top 10 pick plus another asset though. Swapping no. 2 straight for George would be overkill.
Ball is in my opinion the best player in the draft. NBA drafts are top heavy. The idea that you can easily get good players at 5 and 10 is not borne out by the data.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Because in the latter case "getting" it doesn't depend on you but on other factors. Right now they're in favor of Lakers but a year can change a lot. It's been discussed above. It's not unimaginable that George changes his mind if he really likes his "interim" team and what it could give him.

It's a risk. I'd take it as well, if it was up to me, but still.
This was all before the Pacers started shopping PG13 around with Cavs as their favored trade partner. Once Cleveland fired DG and they turned their atttention to Butler, the writing was on the wall that PG13 would only entertain the thought of playing in p&g. Now looking more like JC & #28, is as far as Lakers are willing to go.
I get that he COULD sign elsewhere, but my money is strongly on him not signing wherever he might land. The trade now has kind of thrown a spanner in a lot of what I thought we might do. My gut feeling though is take the 3 1st round talents (Lakers recent track record in the late 1st range has been good) and wait for PG. He wants the Lakers and vice versa, if we can demonstrate to him that we tried without mortgaging our future to do so then that will still be the case come FA next year. With the added DeMarcus Cousins factor.

If Deng can be moved before FA then you could look at a starting 5 of:

Ball
George
Ingram
Cousins
Lopez

With Clarkson, Randle, Nance, Nwaba, Zublocka and 2 other 1st rounders coming off the bench. It'd be a great mix of "can be good now and in the future" the more I think about it, I love the trade if we can just stay patient.

Of course, Lopez could also be moved and a certain superstar in Cleveland could be in contention ...

Last edited:

Sarni

Ball is in my opinion the best player in the draft. NBA drafts are top heavy. The idea that you can easily get good players at 5 and 10 is not borne out by the data.
I think the first 5-6 positions are awfully close, except I think Fultz is a bit above everyone else and clear no. 1. After that, Ball, Jackson, Fox, Tatum and maybe Isaac are all very good players. Then you have Smith and Monk who also look like very good prospects (Smith could even belong to the first tier) but after no. 8 it becomes a steep decline IMO, so in principle you are right because that no. 10 pick could turn out to be not so valuable.

As for Russell trade it becomes a viable strategy for teams to accumulate good assets for just taking on bad contracts. Let's face it, Lakers did not move Russell to acquire Lopez or to get no. 27 pick, they did it mainly to get rid of Mozgov contract. If you can get #2 overall pick from 2015 for that, then I imagine that there will be a lot more bad contracts to be compensated with good assets. I'd be looking at Noah, Bazemore, Biyombo and maybe Crabbe next.

It's strange 76ers did not get involved here. They could have easily taken Mozgov's deal, and give Lakers two second rounders and Okafor instead of Lopez and no. 27. That's a better deal for Lakers as Okafor has a low contract and still some fairly decent potential.

Sarni

I get that he COULD sign elsewhere, but my money is strongly on him not signing wherever he might land. The trade now has kind of thrown a spanner in a lot of what I thought we might do. My gut feeling though is take the 3 1st round talents (Lakers recent track record in the late 1st range has been good) and wait for PG. He wants the Lakers and vice versa, if we can demonstrate to him that we tried without mortgaging our future to do so then that will still be the case come FA next year. With the added DeMarcus Cousins factor.

If Deng can be moved before FA then you could look at a starting 5 of:

Ball
George
Ingram
Cousins
Lopez

With Clarkson, Randle, Nance, Nwaba, Zublocka and 2 other 1st rounders coming off the bench. It'd be a great mix of "can be good now and in the future" the more I think about it, I love the trade if we can just stay patient.

Of course, Lopez could also be moved and a certain superstar in Cleveland could be in contention ...
I don't think you can keep all of George, Cousins and Lopez. Cousins and George will be max players and Lopez won't sign below $18M mark.

Eboue

I think the first 5-6 positions are awfully close, except I think Fultz is a bit above everyone else and clear no. 1. After that, Ball, Jackson, Fox, Tatum and maybe Isaac are all very good players. Then you have Smith and Monk who also look like very good prospects (Smith could even belong to the first tier) but after no. 8 it becomes a steep decline IMO, so in principle you are right because that no. 10 pick could turn out to be not so valuable.

As for Russell trade it becomes a viable strategy for teams to accumulate good assets for just taking on bad contracts. Let's face it, Lakers did not move Russell to acquire Lopez or to get no. 27 pick, they did it mainly to get rid of Mozgov contract. If you can get #2 overall pick from 2015 for that, then I imagine that there will be a lot more bad contracts to be compensated with good assets. I'd be looking at Noah, Bazemore, Biyombo and maybe Crabbe next.

It's strange 76ers did not get involved here. They could have easily taken Mozgov's deal, and give Lakers two second rounders and Okafor instead of Lopez and no. 27. That's a better deal for Lakers as Okafor has a low contract and still some fairly decent potential.
how long have you been following the nba

Sarni

how long have you been following the nba
Closely (like every single day when the season is on and for most offseason, probably more than football) for the past 3 years, on and off before. Why?

It's been always hard for me to follow due to timing of games but I actually find it manageable with work now, more than I had with uni.

Eboue

Closely (like every single day when the season is on and for most offseason, probably more than football) for the past 3 years, on and off before. Why?
because you remind me of me when i was younger. i used to be convinced that so many of the players who were good in college would also be good in the pros

Eboue

the entire 2009 draft has 6 players who ever made an all star team. 2010 has 4. 2011 6 (including isaiah thomas with the last pick) 2012 has 4. 2013 has just giannis so far but only mccollum and gobert even have a chance to add to that.

i went all the way back to 2003 to find one more with more than 6. 2003 had 9 but only 5 were top 10 picks and 1 of those 5 was chris kaman. its just extremely unlikely for there to be 8 players that are really good

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
I agree. I think Fultz and Ball are clear cut above the rest and all the talk about deep draft has been a bit overhyped. There are certain potential new Butler's or Leonard's in the depth of this draft but there won't be 9 all stars out of the top 10 picks.
Having said that I don't know if the Ball package (LaVar and all the drama etc) would've fit in an already toxic environment like Sacramento so maybe they did the right thing passing on that offer.

As for the Lakers Brooklyn deal. I get that Lakers wanted to get rid of mozgovs contract but achieving that for a pointless rental of Brook Lopez?
I don't like Russell as I think he'll max end up as a shit version of Lillard without athleticism but it's a decent gamble for the Nets given their situation.

Edit: While I was typing you already posted the same regarding draft projects.

Sarni

the entire 2009 draft has 6 players who ever made an all star team. 2010 has 4. 2011 6 (including isaiah thomas with the last pick) 2012 has 4. 2013 has just giannis so far but only mccollum and gobert even have a chance to add to that.

i went all the way back to 2003 to find one more with more than 6. 2003 had 9 but only 5 were top 10 picks and 1 of those 5 was chris kaman. its just extremely unlikely for there to be 8 players that are really good
I didn't say they are all certain All-Star material though, they aren't. You mention 2013 class and the All-Star from that draft was no. 15, and the other two players were no. 10 or 11 and late first round pick. That's why I am not convinced moving up to get no. 2 is a good idea at this point

Then again, I do not know that much about Lonzo Ball. He could be absolutely great in which case it makes sense to have him instead of Fox and Markkanen for example. Fox is a talent IMO but his lack of shooting, if not fixed, will keep him from being a top player. I know this draft class is very hyped though so it's probably going to be a little better than usual. Even if they're not All-Star, they could be decent players - even if you got someone around the level of Redick, Crowder or Gay, it's still a decent acquisition IMO.

Sarni

im not convinced it is either. im just saying if a front office is convinced a player is the real deal then moving up like that is worth it
Yeah then I agree. That's why I also think 76ers were correct to go for Fultz instead of picking Fox or Jackson at no. 3. They needed Fultz, were convinced he's the guy so even wanted to sacrifice what could be a super high 2018 or 2019 pick.

JoaquinJoaquin

So lads, necks on the line..

Who do you think will be the biggest bust in the Top 10?

I'm going to go for Isaac

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I think as a player Russell could've worked next to Ball. Russell as the SG out of the 2, but as an ego it wouldn't work.

Still not a good deal for us, felt like we could get more. Although I'm glad Mozgov is gone.

What's Brook's contract status? How much and how long?

Sarni

I think as a player Russell could've worked next to Ball. Russell as the SG out of the 2, but as an ego it wouldn't work.

Still not a good deal for us, felt like we could get more. Although I'm glad Mozgov is gone.

What's Brook's contract status? How much and how long?
Only until 2018. He's a one-year rental and then frees up over $20M of cap space.

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.
Christ, the off season is more interesting than the regular one.

There was a story that the Knicks are willing to take the Celtics' no.3 pick this year for KP. That's it. The no.3.

Sarni

Christ, the off season is more interesting than the regular one.

There was a story that the Knicks are willing to take the Celtics' no.3 pick this year for KP. That's it. The no.3.
Celtics should jump on that.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Only until 2018. He's a one-year rental and then frees up over $20M of cap space.
*Cough* LeBron *cough*

So for 2018 season we could potentially be looking at Ingram in his third year, Ball in his second, PG and another star?

Sarni

*Cough* LeBron *cough*

So for 2018 season we could potentially be looking at Ingram in his third year, Ball in his second, PG and another star?
Yes. They'll probably push for LeBron (outrageous) and maybe try to get Cousins if that fails. Westbrook could opt out but I don't think he leaves money on the table as Oklahoma could offer him more.

Sarni

Drummond is not really a great defender. He got all the physical assets but he doesn't read the game well enough and is too undisciplined. After his first couple years most Pistons fans were hoping SVG could turn him into the next Dwight. He seems have done that successfully on offense by giving him wasted possession after wasted possession to let him pretend to be a back to the basket post at low efficiency but the defensive improvements never got close to Howard.
That's actually true but that's also the only reason why Detroit will be shopping him. If he was already a competent defender, he would be off the table. His FT% is another thing that is going to harm the team.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Kinda think Howard would have fit nicely in Boston and gave them a bonafide defensive big man presence down low. Surprised they didn't make a run for him last summer or this summer. Guess most GMs have a negative image of the player, and possibly rightly so.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Kinda think Howard would have fit nicely in Boston and gave them a bonafide defensive big man presence down low. Surprised they didn't make a run for him last summer or this summer. Guess most GMs have a negative image of the player, and possibly rightly so.
As a player he probably could have carved out a nice role for himself in Boston, but he's a headcase that Stevens/Ainge wouldn't want to deal with.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Would be nice to see the Mavs make a move that works. KP with Barnes and make a run for Cousins next summer...

Instead, they'll draft someone like Collins and he'll bomb out.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Would be nice to see the Mavs make a move that works. KP with Barnes and make a run for Cousins next summer...

Instead, they'll draft someone like Collins and he'll bomb out.
Are you a Mavs fan? They aren't my team but I have a ton of respect for them. Love Dirk and Carlisle.