NBA 2016-17

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Are you a Mavs fan? They aren't my team but I have a ton of respect for them. Love Dirk and Carlisle.
I'm from the Fort Worth area so I have a soft spot for the Mavs although I grew up in the 80s liking Magic Johnson and the Lakers. I'd consider myself a casual NBA fan these days - NFL and world football take up most of my sporting interests.

Kearnkoff69

As a Buckeye it saddens me to see D'Lo traded, but it does seem they're set on Ball and making a run at PG. It would be a nice story for Russell to stoke the embers of a renaissance in BKN, though. I think for BKN it is a really smart move. Time to start getting as many high-upside players and picks as possible to recover from the KG trade.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
As a Buckeye it saddens me to see D'Lo traded, but it does seem they're set on Ball and making a run at PG. It would be a nice story for Russell to stoke the embers of a renaissance in BKN, though. I think for BKN it is a really smart move. Time to start getting as many high-upside players and picks as possible to recover from the KG trade.
Smart move from the Nets? I dont think picking up Mozgov's 17m per year for 3 years is a good move. And Russell hasnt exactly set the league up in his two years. He had the chance to really take the reigns at LA this year with Kobe gone but he failed to do. Clarkson played with more heart and desire than Russell did.

Neutral

BTV
Smart move from the Nets? I dont think picking up Mozgov's 17m per year for 3 years is a good move. And Russell hasnt exactly set the league up in his two years. He had the chance to really take the reigns at LA this year with Kobe gone but he failed to do. Clarkson played with more heart and desire than Russell did.
They'll try and move that Mozgov contract. As for Russell - he's still young and due to their previous moves - they have next to no hope of picking up any young talent via the draft.

This was a very good move by the Front Office, especially when you look at what they have in terms of assets.

Kearnkoff69

They'll try and move that Mozgov contract. As for Russell - he's still young and due to their previous moves - they have next to no hope of picking up any young talent via the draft.

This was a very good move by the Front Office, especially when you look at what they have in terms of assets.
See Neutral's post - this is my line of thinking as well. Nets weren't going anywhere fast, and with them still owing picks to the Cs it's not like they could rebuild through the draft anytime soon. If they're able to move Mozgov to free up cap space, they've won this trade in my eyes. Russell is young with high upside. He hasn't set the league on fire but PGs are notoriously slow developers (even someone like John Wall, who has a much higher ceiling than D'Lo and came in with better athletic gifts, didn't really elevate himself into the conversation as a top of the league PG until this year as a 26 year old). The Nets are still suffering from the Big 3 trade and this was the first positive step they've taken to move on from that FO mistake.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
They won't be able to move Mozgov to free up cap space, the whole point of this trade was it's impossible to move $16M Mozgov. Still a good deal, by the time they are half decent again Mozgov will be gone and Russell is immediately the most talented player on that roster.

Okafor is available for next to nothing, or even nothing, now and it'd be fun if they could grab him too. Would have no. 2 and 3 picks from 2015 draft.

Neutral

BTV
I actually missed the fact Mozgov has multiple years left in his contract and more importantly the Nets with Mozgov have only Hamilton has their other big guy. Mozgov will get playing time and the Nets will eat the contract - they've got plenty of cap space. Space they aren't in a hurry to use up...after all it's not like free agents are going to go crazy to play in Brooklyn.

It's still a good move for the Nets - this will be a long term rebuild.

Kearnkoff69

They won't be able to move Mozgov to free up cap space, the whole point of this trade was it's impossible to move $16M Mozgov. Still a good deal, by the time they are half decent again Mozgov will be gone and Russell is immediately the most talented player on that roster.

Okafor is available for next to nothing, or even nothing, now and it'd be fun if they could grab him too. Would have no. 2 and 3 picks from 2015 draft.
Good point, I hadn't looked at the specifics of his contract only knew the broader details (i.e. it was monstrous and a huge mistake from LA's previous FO). I still agree though, Mozgov will be gone after his contract expires and while Lopez has been their best player he also represents a huge cap hit for them. They're in big picture rebuild mode and adding a piece like Russell was solid on their part.

RDCR07

Good point, I hadn't looked at the specifics of his contract only knew the broader details (i.e. it was monstrous and a huge mistake from LA's previous FO). I still agree though, Mozgov will be gone after his contract expires and while Lopez has been their best player he also represents a huge cap hit for them. They're in big picture rebuild mode and adding a piece like Russell was solid on their part.
Lopez earns 5m more than Mozgov. The former actually contributes to your team while the later is about as useless a big man I have seen since I started following basketball 20 years ago.

Sarni

Lopez earns 5m more than Mozgov. The former actually contributes to your team while the later is about as useless a big man I have seen since I started following basketball 20 years ago.
Well that's why they did not do a straight swap, they also got Russell for no. 27 which is equally if not more lopsided. It was a good deal for Nets.

RDCR07

Well that's why they did not do a straight swap, they also got Russell for no. 27 which is equally if not more lopsided. It was a good deal for Nets.
That was in reference to him saying Lopez also takes cap space. My argument is well at least he contributes something to the team earning only 5m more.

Kearnkoff69

That was in reference to him saying Lopez also takes cap space. My argument is well at least he contributes something to the team earning only 5m more.
Yeah but in this case since you don't have draft picks and you can't build without giving up one of your assets, you'd happily eat a bad contract and add a high upside player instead. I don't disagree that Mozgov is useless, but results don't really matter for BKN at this moment in my opinion.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Phil is trying to get fired. It's like a Costanza moment. He should just drive around the parking lot with the '73 O'Brien trophy dragging behind while wearing Reed's uni and dripping latte all over.

ZDwyr

If KP is really up for trade then Boston should get involved ASAP. Would be really good for them IMO.

Sarni

Ainge is just plain weird. Why are you stockpiling picks if not to go after suckers like Phil?
I don't know either. They won that trade with Nets big time but they don't need all that picks. Even last year they got Jaylen Brown who doesn't really look that great and maybe wasn't needed that much.

Moby

Dick
They have 7 odd first round picks in next 3 years. :lol:

Will be insanity if they pass on someone like Butler, or worse, KP. They desperately need a top forward.

JoaquinJoaquin

Really is sad to see our franchise being run like this. I was planning on staying up for the draft tonight but I can't even get excited about it because our front office is so incompetent.

Sarni

They have 7 odd first round picks in next 3 years. :lol:

Will be insanity if they pass on someone like Butler, or worse, KP. They desperately need a top forward.
The 2018 Brooklyn pick will be very valuable as it's likely a top 5 pick again, and 2019 Kings pick (I don't think they'll get Lakers next year as I doubt it will be top 5 so it should stay with Philadelphia) will almost certainly be top 10 and likely top 5 (it's only top 1 protected). Aside from these two and #3 this year though, their picks are not really worth all that much. The pick from Memphis could be anything, at present teams will not value it highly. 2019 Clippers pick could potentially be a top 5 pick if they break up the team this season, but it could also be close to worthless (picks 21-30 are not that pricey, especially 2 years in advance) if they don't.

Sarni

Does anyone know where we will be able to watch NBA Draft in Europe? I'd appreciate any information on (Austin) Rivers that you might have.

JoaquinJoaquin

Does anyone know where we will be able to watch NBA Draft in Europe? I'd appreciate any information on (Austin) Rivers that you might have.
It's on BT sport 1 here in the UK.

Pm me for stream I might be able to help.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
It's on BT sport 1 here in the UK.

Pm me for stream I might be able to help.
They usually have on-demand games online right? Hope they have the draft on-demand too, as I'll probably have to watch it after work tomorrow.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
It appears next year's salary cap is coming in lower than expected 99m vs expected 102m with luxury tax threshold coming in at 119m vs 121m. Will be interesting to see how this affects teams in free agency especially those who are already struggling with salary cap issues.

Neutral

BTV
It appears next year's salary cap is coming in lower than expected 99m vs expected 102m with luxury tax threshold coming in at 119m vs 121m. Will be interesting to see how this affects teams in free agency especially those who are already struggling with salary cap issues.
This wasn't the only reason the projected salary cap is lower than expected...but,

The NBA lost significant revenue from the short playoffs, which had a multiplier impact on the projected salary cap.
Dubs and Cavs 'destroying' the league :lol:

This also means max contracts are going to be marginally smaller.

Sarni

Draft starts at 7 pm ET but is it when they start picking players or just coverage?

Kearnkoff69

Boston has the assets to make a run at KP if he's being shopped around. A left-field option could be Portland, who have 3 picks this draft. Porzingis would be an instant upgrade to their frontcourt and him + Nurkic would be an interesting duo to watch in tandem with McCollum and Lillard.

entropy

Really is sad to see our franchise being run like this. I was planning on staying up for the draft tonight but I can't even get excited about it because our front office is so incompetent.
The talk around the league is that KP won't be traded. It is more of a power struggle. KP wants the organisation to get rid of Phil Jackson.

Sarni

Boston has the assets to make a run at KP if he's being shopped around. A left-field option could be Portland, who have 3 picks this draft. Porzingis would be an instant upgrade to their frontcourt and him + Nurkic would be an interesting duo to watch in tandem with McCollum and Lillard.
It's my wild dream but I don't think even 3 picks will get this done. Then again, if Knicks are really so sweet on Justin Jackson, maybe they can be tempted. I'd go crazy if that happened. Lillard/McCollum/Harkless/Porzingis/Nurkic would be absolutely incredible.

So excited for tonight!

Moby

Dick
Sarni will go mental. :lol:

Sarni

Sarni will go mental. :lol:
Yeah don't even make me half believe that it could happen!!!

Apparently they are asking Phoenix for no. 4 AND Booker. That would actually almost be overpaying. I rate Porzingis a bit higher than Booker, but with no. 4 you can get Isaac, Tatum, Fox etc. I think I'd actually rather have Tatum and Booker than Porzingis. Phoenix are refusing to give that though. It might turn out that New York are indeed shopping Porzingis but with a value way too high on their mind.

I think the only team that might get Porzingis in this draft and offer anything remotely close to fair package are Boston with no. 3 + Crowder. Everything else would need New York to be very dumb (possible) or overpay like the one with Booker + no. 4 (unlikely).

Last edited:

JoaquinJoaquin

Not expecting a great season from my Knicks, but sorry the Magic aren't get more wins I don't think. They are terrible.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I expect Philadelphia, Hawks, Celtics, Raptors to get more than that. Magic, Hornets, Pistons and Pacers less.

In the West - I think the projections for Clippers and Pelicans are quite optimistic. They could easily drop below that. Lakers and Memphis on the contrary.