NBA 2017-2018

Revan

Assumptionman
Nah I think Embiid at his best is on a different level compared to Green at his best. He’s basically the best center in the league. Green is a great hustle player, he passes the ball very well and he can sometimes shoot but Embiid is just amazing talent.

You point to Simmons playoffs too much. He was actually very good against Miami, Boston figured him out but he’s just a young boy in his first professional year. Talent wise he’s on another level to pretty much every rookie in the past few years at point guard position. It’s probably better for the league that he can’t shoot yet as otherwise he would become completely unplayable.

I think the difference between James and Durant is pretty significant too.

I am biased here though because I’m a bit of a closet Sixers fan and I hate Warriors.
About Simmons: I don't know, Tatum looks just as much talented, and actually he didn't shit his pants like Simmons. And well, downplaying playoffs isn't right IMO, it is all that matters. Many superstars never were able to crack the playoffs, and not saying that the same will happen with Simmons, but he really was pathetic against Boston. And Embiid was hardly that great there, which shows that when you allow physicality, veterans can dominate him, like Al did. And I have no doubt that if Al can do it, so can Green who is a better player.

Durant outplayed James in the finals of 2017, and outplayed James again in the last two games of this year's finals. James is obviously a better player, but Durant in form is almost as good, and pretty much unstoppable. And while Kawhi is a terrific defender, Durant basically destroyed him when they faced each other in playoff during 2016, so not sure how good job Kawhi can do on him. LeBron sure as hell cannot defend him, he essentially gave up doing that in this series.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
About Simmons: I don't know, Tatum looks just as much talented, and actually he didn't shit his pants like Simmons. And well, downplaying playoffs isn't right IMO, it is all that matters. Many superstars never were able to crack the playoffs, and not saying that the same will happen with Simmons, but he really was pathetic against Boston. And Embiid was hardly that great there, which shows that when you allow physicality, veterans can dominate him, like Al did. And I have no doubt that if Al can do it, so can Green who is a better player.

Durant outplayed James in the finals of 2017, and outplayed James again in the last two games of this year's finals. James is obviously a better player, but Durant in form is almost as good, and pretty much unstoppable.
But he wasn’t even that bad in the playoffs. First series he played, against Miami, he was very good in almost all games.

He has flaws in his game that will need to be addressed if he is to become a superstar but his debut season was great.

As for Tatum, well I did say point guard talent :) but also I think Simmons will end up a better player than him. Tatum looks to me like an amazing second best player on a championship team in the future, Simmons I think can be the leader of the best team if everything goes right. Still long way for both though. And I love Donovan Mitchell more than either of them anyway.

ZDwyr

Durant outplayed James in the finals of 2017, and outplayed James again in the last two games of this year's finals. James is obviously a better player, but Durant in form is almost as good, and pretty much unstoppable. And while Kawhi is a terrific defender, Durant basically destroyed him when they faced each other in playoff during 2016, so not sure how good job Kawhi can do on him. LeBron sure as hell cannot defend him, he essentially gave up doing that in this series.
Not sure about that. It looks like he was better in 2017 because they won and he had the better team around him. LeBron had a broken hand for the last 3 games this season so not surprised Durant looked as good. Look at game one though, Durant is never doing that. LeBron at his best is clearly better than KD. KD at his best is maybe on LeBron's level.

Revan

Assumptionman
Not sure about that. It looks like he was better in 2017 because they won and he had the better team around him. LeBron had a broken hand for the last 3 games this season so not surprised Durant looked as good. Look at game one though, Durant is never doing that. LeBron at his best is clearly better than KD. KD at his best is maybe on LeBron's level.
He did exactly that in Game 3 though.

James stats in game 1: 51 points from 59.4% shooting, 42.9% from 3 pointers, 91% from free throw line, 8 rebounds, 8 assists, 1 block, 1 steal, 5 turnovers. Played 48 minutes.
Durant stats in game 3: 43 points from 65.2% shooting, 66.7% from 3 pointers (6 out of 9!), 100% from free throw line, 13 rebounds, 7 assists, 1 block, 1 steal, 3 turnovers. Played 43 minutes.

James scored more (but also played 5 more minutes), but Durant had a significantly higher efficiency (15/23 vs 19/32, and 6 of those shoots being 3, effectively making it an 18/23 compared to James' 20.5/32), rebounded more, had an assist less and had 2 turnovers less. In addition, he again scored when it mattered most (that crazy 3 pointer) with James again making 'the right basketball decision'. Hardly a big difference, both might be the best final performances we have seen in a very long time.

And I am not saying that KD is as good or better than James, just that the difference isn't significant enough to make a big difference (like Curry vs Simmons or Kawhi vs Klay where there is a significant difference).

---

In 2017, in the first 2 games it wasn't even close, Durant totally dominated the game. James was probably a bit better in game 3 but Durant scored that three pointer which essentially won the game for Dubs, seconds after LeBron gave away the opportunity to shoot and passed the ball. In match 4, James was better, in the final match, very close between them.

Sarni

The talk about Kings possibly taking Michael Porter at no. 2 just blows my mind. It’s like they don’t realize they moved up from 8 to 2 and are still trying to use the plan they had in place for the no. 8.

Just take Luka Doncic you fools.

Revan

Assumptionman
The talk about Kings possibly taking Michael Porter at no. 2 just blows my mind. It’s like they don’t realize they moved up from 8 to 2 and are still trying to use the plan they had in place for the no. 8.

It is Kings man. It would be totally unexpected if they for once do the smart thing. They have to keep the 'NBA's worst run franchise' tag.

Scarecrow

Having a week off

Well, they're clearly very high on Fox and he doesn't fit with Luka. They've also got enough young bigs. I can see what their decision process could be that would lead to Porter, even though I think it's stupid. His achievements before this year are undeniable though, for whatever it's worth. There's clearly a high ceiling with him.

If Doncic falls to 4 a smart team will throw everything at Memphis for him and they'll be stupid enough to let him go, I think. I hope.

Last edited:

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

He's a huge injury risk and they're better off trading down if they really want to pick him that badly. Literally have either Ayton or Doncic available, it's not that hard to draft...

elmo

Well, they're clearly very high on Fox he doesn't fit with Luka. They've also got enough young bigs. I can see what their decision process could be that would lead to Porter, even though I think it's stupid. His achievements before this year are undeniable though, for whatever it's worth. There's clearly a high ceiling with him.

If Doncic falls to 4 a smart team will throw everything at Memphis for him and they'll be stupid enough to let him go, I think. I hope.
Jesus, if Doncic falls to 4, I hope we trade up for him.

Ayton and Doncic in the same draft would be just :drool::drool::drool:

Sarni

It is Kings man. It would be totally unexpected if they for once do the smart thing. They have to keep the 'NBA's worst run franchise' tag.
Either Porter or Bagley would fit the bill perfectly. A defensively suspect wing with injury issues or a defensively terrible big who cannot stretch the floor and would have been maybe good 10 years ago.

Sarni

Well, they're clearly very high on Fox and he doesn't fit with Luka. They've also got enough young bigs. I can see what their decision process could be that would lead to Porter, even though I think it's stupid. His achievements before this year are undeniable though, for whatever it's worth. There's clearly a high ceiling with him.

Why doesn’t he fit with Luka? Doncic can play anywhere from 1 to 3 and maybe even 4 in the modern NBA. He doesn’t need the ball all the time to be successful either and Fox hasn’t been that terrible off the ball.

Doncic is perfect fit for Kings. They would be able to field three ball handlers and he’s the sort of player you build around. If you don’t think he can play with Fox, just trade Fox.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
He's a huge injury risk and they're better off trading down if they really want to pick him that badly. Literally have either Ayton or Doncic available, it's not that hard to draft...
Agreed. Trade down with Dallas, Cleveland, whomever, and grab a slightly lower pick, maybe two, and perhaps a player (likely a salary dump).

Revan

Assumptionman
Why doesn’t he fit with Luka? Doncic can play anywhere from 1 to 3 and maybe even 4 in the modern NBA. He doesn’t need the ball all the time to be successful either and Fox hasn’t been that terrible off the ball.

Doncic is perfect fit for Kings. They would be able to field three ball handlers and he’s the sort of player you build around. If you don’t think he can play with Fox, just trade Fox.
The only problem with Doncic is that European players are very unreliable when it comes to NBA. A lot of all time European greats failed miserably in NBA (likes of Navarro, Jacikevicius etc), and the game is so different that looking great in Europe gives no guarantees on being great in NBA. If I was a GM, I would be a bit worried on drafting players who have had their entire basketball education in Europe, in comparison to US, basketball in Europe is played in slow motion.

Saying that, Doncic looks fantastic and I think that he will be a success. How successful though, I don't know. I mean even if it is Rubio/Calderon level isn't that bad, and he could easily reach Parker/Gasols/Stojakovic level, if not Giannis/Nowitzki level.

Scarecrow

Having a week off

Because Fox is not a good shooter and I think Luka should have the ball as much as possible. I think they should draft Doncic and trade Fox, even though I like him. I think the Kings value him way higher than any other team does, however, so it's not going to happen.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Am I mad that I'd prefer Kawhi and PG over either and LeBron?

The only issue with that is we have to give up some of our youngsters for Kawhi (unless we can convince me Spurs to take Deng...:cool:) and I'm a sucker for improvement in good young players.

Zen

Kawhi, PG and LeBron. Madness, and trust it to be the fecking Lakers to get Kawhi for cheap most likely.

Revan

Assumptionman
Kawhi Lebron and PG in a team :drool:
I would like to see that. If Houston manage to keep CP3 and Capela, then we will have 3 title contenders from the West and 1 from the East (assuming that both Irving and Hayward return).

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I sort of want to see Kawhi traded to the Kings for the #2 pick. I would love to see Doncic on the Spurs. Probably not the best move for Sacremento long term since he would be a one year rental but, they do not have their pick in the 2019 draft so might as well make a playoff push. And if it is not working they can move him before the trade deadline for possible assets.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Talk is that Spurs would prefer to deal with the Celtics than the Lakers. They obviously have the better assets, as well.

Tatum is untradable, so obviously it would have to be Brown. I'm not sure how I feel about that, to be honest. Think I'm more so on the no side.

Skåre Willoch

If C's get guarantees from Kawhi, they could trade Horford and a pick maybe? Irving, Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Leonard.

elmo

Talk is that Spurs would prefer to deal with the Celtics than the Lakers. They obviously have the better assets, as well.

Tatum is untradable, so obviously it would have to be Brown. I'm not sure how I feel about that, to be honest. Think I'm more so on the no side.
If Kawhi is willing to re-sign with the Celtics, everybody is available for trade.

That's how Danny rolls, nobody is untradable, except Brad.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
If Kawhi is willing to re-sign with the Celtics, everybody is available for trade.

That's how Danny rolls, nobody is untradable, except Brad.
It's not that simple. Kawhi is coming from a disastrous season health-wise and Kyrie is questionable in that regard, as well. Then there's the difficulty of resigning both of them next season and keeping the team around them. There's no such baggage with Tatum and Brown and they're on rookie contracts for a while yet. There's really no reason to take big risks this off-season for the Celtics.

And I do think Tatum is untouchable.

elmo

It's not that simple. Kawhi is coming from a disastrous season health-wise and Kyrie is questionable in that regard, as well. Then there's the difficulty of resigning both of them next season and keeping the team around them. There's no such baggage with Tatum and Brown and they're on rookie contracts for a while yet. There's really no reason to take big risks this off-season for the Celtics.

And I do think Tatum is untouchable.
Hence the if....

And rookie contracts aren't going to be enough to match the contracts, probably Hayward + Brown if Danny thinks they can re-sign Kawhi.

elmo

If C's get guarantees from Kawhi, they could trade Horford and a pick maybe? Irving, Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Leonard.
That's terrible, Spurs would want at least 1 of Kyrie/Hayward and Tatum/Brown. Celtics pick is most likely a late first rounder too, so that's not really something that would swing the trade.

What's the point in getting yet another big when they've Aldridge and Pau.

Skills

Snitch
Could New Orleans make a play for Kawhi? I'd love to see him with Davis and see how they would go against the warriors