NBA 2017-2018

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Hence the if....

And rookie contracts aren't going to be enough to match the contracts, probably Hayward + Brown if Danny thinks they can re-sign Kawhi.
Absolutely no chance. Spurs have one year of a player who doesn't want to play for them and hasn't had a good game in 12 months. Nobody is going to offer anything close to that.

Revan

Assumptionman
If C's get guarantees from Kawhi, they could trade Horford and a pick maybe? Irving, Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Leonard.
Trading Hayward instead of Al makes more sense IMO, and keeps the team more balanced.

But it can happen only if Kawhi guarantees Celtics that he is gonna extend.

ZDwyr

So here is (probably) a dumb question, but how do people think Kawhi will go outside the Spurs system? I mean, is there the possibility that playing under Pop and in that system made him look better than he is? And if he goes to another team (not Boston) he might not reach the same level?

I don't think that will be the case but I've never really thought about him playing in a non-Spurs uniform.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
So here is (probably) a dumb question, but how do people think Kawhi will go outside the Spurs system? I mean, is there the possibility that playing under Pop and in that system made him look better than he is? And if he goes to another team (not Boston) he might not reach the same level?

I don't think that will be the case but I've never really thought about him playing in a non-Spurs uniform.
A dirty little secret is that there was not really much of a system in 15-16 and 16-17. A lot of the beautiful passing went away and replaced by isos from Kawhi and Aldridge. Kawhi basically became the system. And even with Kawhi out this season they mostly ran the offense Aldridge.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
A dirty little secret is that there was not really much of a system in 15-16 and 16-17. A lot of the beautiful passing went away and replaced by isos from Kawhi and Aldridge. Kawhi basically became the system. And even with Kawhi out this season they mostly ran the offense Aldridge.
Yeah, that's what I was going to say.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Whoever gets Kawhi will end up losing a ton of assets for a crocked disinterested player who might not re-sign. Sureshot regret.
Unless it's the Lakers. They would get a top 3 player in the league

Revan

Assumptionman
Unless it's the Lakers. They would get a top 3 player in the league
I really wouldn't put Kawhi ahead of Steph.

Saying that, if I was Magic Johnson, I would have given two out of Lonzo, Ingram and Kuzma providing that Kawhi says that he is gonna resign.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
That's terrible, Spurs would want at least 1 of Kyrie/Hayward and Tatum/Brown. Celtics pick is most likely a late first rounder too, so that's not really something that would swing the trade.

What's the point in getting yet another big when they've Aldridge and Pau.
Probably wouldn’t be Celtics pick though but Kings or Grizzlies from 2019. Still they’d need to include Brown for sure IMO.

I doubt Ainge would trade Tatum for Kawhi to be honest. For a fully fit Kawhi who is willing to re-sign, yes. A disgruntled, injured Kawhi who might want LA, nope.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Can this thread be locked and we use the new seasons thread?

Revan

Assumptionman
Kawhi absolutely buried his reputation this season.
It drives me crazy that some of the pundits (usually LeBron bitches who in this way pre-emptive Durant and to some degree Curry) put Leonard as the second best player in the NBA. I mean, when Warriors won the title in 2017, there was already talk that Durant had reached/surpassed LeBron, and Curry was the consensus third best player in the league. On the next year, Durant wins another MVP finals, Curry has an another superb season and probably should have won MVP finals instead, but yet somehow Kawhi Leonard who didn't even play has become the second best player in the league.

He has truly caught the Lucas Leiva flu. LeBron should be worried next season cause if Kawhi doesn't play, he's gonna surpass LeBron. And Jordan will get surpassed the season after that. All Kawhi has to do is to refuse to play and his greatness will be achieved.

ZDwyr

Melo's not gonna be at OKC next year :drool: Rejoice @ZDwyr !
Not sure if I want to trade or just buy him out/stretch. It'd be good not to have dead money on the books in the future. If we get nothing then we also lose a body on the roster. Trading him for other pieces would be give more roster depth but it'll essentially be an exchange of bad contracts so the money issue is still there.