NBA 2018-2019

ZDwyr

Is he another Buddy Hield? Not sure how high his ceiling is but Hield had some people ga-ga over him after his OU career yet I never really saw it, granted I didn't follow his career and only came to know of him after the god crowd and media started thrusting him onto us. I seem to recall Hield was shut down hard in the tourney after that great senior year which made me ponder what would NBA defense do against him. Has Hield turned out as expected, better/worse than anticipated, or the jury still out?
Far higher ceiling. Much, much better passer than Hield.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Wow I’m shocked Celtics were able to get Robert Williams with their pick. Exactly the kind of player they were after but not being able to trade up to get Bamba or Jackson they actually managed to get a very good prospect at 27. He was supposed to go mid-first round.

Sarni

Anfernee Simons in the first round is a bit of a reach, he probably won’t feature much this year as he’s very young and didn’t go to college but he’s supposed to have a high ceiling and would have maybe been a lotto pick next year if he had gone to Louisville as planned.

Sarni

How has Elie Okobo stayed until now?

Warriors will probably take him. They are so lucky.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Interesting to note that the Dubs as per usual are trying to buy a second round pick but this year are having trouble finding someone who will sell to them.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
How will that work at the Mavs with both DSJ and Doncic?

ZDwyr

How will that work at the Mavs with both DSJ and Doncic?
Assuming both reach their potential, very well. You get two star players capable of running the floor with great passing and vision (Doncic in particular). If DSJ can learn to play well off ball and shoot well they'll be lethal. Defense will be the main issue as Doncic lacks athleticism and DSJ is horrible. There's scope to improve though and if they put the right pieces around them they should be fine.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Assuming both reach their potential, very well. You get two star players capable of running the floor with great passing and vision (Doncic in particular). If DSJ can learn to play well off ball and shoot well they'll be lethal. Defense will be the main issue as Doncic lacks athleticism and DSJ is horrible. There's scope to improve though and if they put the right pieces around them they should be fine.
Sounds promising, yeah.

Guy in my office reckons LeBron is definitely gone because of who the Cavs picked, supposed to be a slashing guard who can't shoot which would be of no use for LeBron in Cleveland.

JoaquinJoaquin

I low key root for the Kings so I'm here to express my disappointment that they passed up on Doncic.
Such a bad decision. One they will regret for many years I think. To be fair Atlanta basically traded away the chance to take Doncic for nothing aswell so they are just as bad if not worse, as I honestly think Young will be bang average (if not a bust).

Kaos

Didn’t Doncic say if the Kings drafted him he’d just stay in Europe because he had no intention of going to Sacramento. I mean what were they supposed to do lol. They still got a pretty exciting prospect.

JoaquinJoaquin

Didn’t Doncic say if the Kings drafted him he’d just stay in Europe because he had no intention of going to Sacramento. I mean what were they supposed to do lol. They still got a pretty exciting prospect.
At first, but on draft day he said he will play wherever as the NBA was his dream.

Sarni

My big draft assessment coming:

Biggest Winners:

Dallas - somehow despite having 'only' 5th pick they ended up with probably the biggest and most NBA ready talent in the draft. Doncic is a winner and he will fit in perfectly alongside Smith. They were apparently considering Bamba heavily but now they can focus on getting their big through free agency - and they will probably max out Capela and have a significant chance of getting him. If not, they are probably going to come after Cousins.

Orlando -
they were apparently locked in on selecting Young but Atlanta saved them from their stupidity so they ended up with an elite defensive talent in Bamba. They could become a true force on defense with him and Isaac, he apparently also addressed his shot and shot very well in pre-draft drills with the new mechanics.

Detroit - they didn't have a single first round pick yet ended up with two first round talents in Khyri Thomas and Bruce Brown. Both are excellent lockdown defenders, Thomas can also shoot the ball and has some degree of playmaking ability and Brown is also a fairly good playmaker. There are doubts regarding Brown's shot but it's not really broken, just ineffective. Great draft for them.

Boston - they were trying to move up to get Bamba or Jackson Jr to address the lack of big prospect and had a player who was perceived as an elite big prospect fall to them at 27th. Williams has some serious issues, especially on the offensive end, but he might be able to contribute on defense from the start.

Philadelphia - amazing deal for them to swap Bridges for Smith and get an top grade asset in Miami 2021 unprotected pick. Smith is 3 years younger and IMO a better long term prospect, he's the sort of defender you can immediately plug into the line up and he should be able to contribute in the NBA. That Miami pick is probably one of the best assets in the league right now.

Biggest Losers:

Atlanta -
I get what they are trying to do with Young/Huerter backcourt but they aren't going to emulate Curry & Thompson. They had a A-grade prospect selected at 3 and traded him away, they are going to regret it as I truly don't believe Young is going to grow into an elite player in this league.

Michael Porter Jr - he has created so much hype around himself and then fell to Denver at 14 which is a pretty clear indication that he's probably never going to be healthy enough to play 70+ games in a season and contribute. Maybe I'm wrong here but the fact that Clippers passed on him after they initially wanted to trade both their picks and Tobias Harris to move up to get him is a clear sign that his medicals must have been crap.

Of course it's all going to look completely different in a year. Last year you wouldn't have immediately said that Utah would be the biggest winners of the draft and it turned out they were.

My teams:

Portland -
I like the Anfernee Simons pick even though fans are hating on it. I think if Blazers got Trent Jr and Simons in reverse order people wouldn't moan as much about it because Trent was supposed to be a top 20 talent a few weeks ago. Trent will probably get minutes next season already, he's a great shooter, he's very athletic and I love him as a pick - he might even be able to play small forward for us in modern NBA. Simons is probably 2 years away from contributing but I like taking a punt on a player that may grow into something truly good.

Utah - Grayson Allen is a bit of a tool but he's a force on the offensive end and has competitiveness required to play in the league. He should also be able to contribute from the start and his shooting off the bench will be a plus for the team.

Philadelphia - already mentioned above, I love Smith for Bridges trade, I like Shamet and Milton picks even if they aren't going to contribute straightaway and one of them might not even make the roster next season.

Sarni

Chicago's guy any good?
I like Carter but it seems their fans hate that pick. I don't know what else they could have done at 7 that would have made sense.

He's strong, a good defender, he can shoot the ball and plays well in the post. He was the second big man at Duke behind Bagley but still contributed well. It's a bit of a safe pick, he doesn't have superstar potential but there's also little risk that he won't be an NBA player in 5, 6, 7 years.

Hutchison at 22 is a good pick and so predictable. He's a bit older and should be able to contribute already next season. He won't become a superstar but as a 20 mpg player he could become a decent scorer off the bench,.

mav_9me

Question about Doncic. Everybody is raving about him here. However I saw the Stat line from his final game for Real. 8p 8r and 2 assists.

Sounds pretty bad. How come?

I have never seen him. That's why I'm asking.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Is he any good?
He's a very good offensive player, the perfect stretch 5 for the modern NBA. Between 2017 and 2018 his defense improved from terrible to just below average and his rebounding improved from below average to average. It's hard to see either of those things ever being an asset for him because he lacks strength and lateral quickness but he does have an excellent motor (or workrate for you foreigners). Here are some highlights of his play last year. He played against Bamba and JJJ and did well but Michigan played 5 out sometimes when he was on the floor so it's hard to say how his play really translates to the NBA. Very good in the pick and roll though.

Kearnkoff69

Great draft, much better than last year. Lots of surprises, and I'm actually happy with how the teams I like picked. I'm a fan of Sexton and he'll have the right mentality and grittiness to survive the wasteland of a post-LeBron Cavs, and the Blazers doubled down on shot creation and shooting with two players who are intriguing. Also think the Suns did magnificent - dealing the Miami pick hurts for them, but getting someone like Bridges who should slot into their team as a polished 3 and D player right away, along with his toughness and winning mentality, should really compliment their other young pieces. If Ayton comes good, especially on defense, they'll have a very exciting team in a couple years.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Question about Doncic. Everybody is raving about him here. However I saw the Stat line from his final game for Real. 8p 8r and 2 assists.

Euro ball has slower pace and only play 40 mins compared the NBA’s 48.

And Euro ball’s definitation of an assist is way tougher than the NBA. What counts as an NBA assist would most probably not get counted in Euro ball most of the time.

elmo

My big draft assessment coming:

Biggest Winners:

Dallas - somehow despite having 'only' 5th pick they ended up with probably the biggest and most NBA ready talent in the draft. Doncic is a winner and he will fit in perfectly alongside Smith. They were apparently considering Bamba heavily but now they can focus on getting their big through free agency - and they will probably max out Capela and have a significant chance of getting him. If not, they are probably going to come after Cousins.

Orlando -
they were apparently locked in on selecting Young but Atlanta saved them from their stupidity so they ended up with an elite defensive talent in Bamba. They could become a true force on defense with him and Isaac, he apparently also addressed his shot and shot very well in pre-draft drills with the new mechanics.

Detroit - they didn't have a single first round pick yet ended up with two first round talents in Khyri Thomas and Bruce Brown. Both are excellent lockdown defenders, Thomas can also shoot the ball and has some degree of playmaking ability and Brown is also a fairly good playmaker. There are doubts regarding Brown's shot but it's not really broken, just ineffective. Great draft for them.

Boston - they were trying to move up to get Bamba or Jackson Jr to address the lack of big prospect and had a player who was perceived as an elite big prospect fall to them at 27th. Williams has some serious issues, especially on the offensive end, but he might be able to contribute on defense from the start.

Philadelphia - amazing deal for them to swap Bridges for Smith and get an top grade asset in Miami 2021 unprotected pick. Smith is 3 years younger and IMO a better long term prospect, he's the sort of defender you can immediately plug into the line up and he should be able to contribute in the NBA. That Miami pick is probably one of the best assets in the league right now.

Biggest Losers:

Atlanta -
I get what they are trying to do with Young/Huerter backcourt but they aren't going to emulate Curry & Thompson. They had a A-grade prospect selected at 3 and traded him away, they are going to regret it as I truly don't believe Young is going to grow into an elite player in this league.

Michael Porter Jr - he has created so much hype around himself and then fell to Denver at 14 which is a pretty clear indication that he's probably never going to be healthy enough to play 70+ games in a season and contribute. Maybe I'm wrong here but the fact that Clippers passed on him after they initially wanted to trade both their picks and Tobias Harris to move up to get him is a clear sign that his medicals must have been crap.

Of course it's all going to look completely different in a year. Last year you wouldn't have immediately said that Utah would be the biggest winners of the draft and it turned out they were.

My teams:

Portland -
I like the Anfernee Simons pick even though fans are hating on it. I think if Blazers got Trent Jr and Simons in reverse order people wouldn't moan as much about it because Trent was supposed to be a top 20 talent a few weeks ago. Trent will probably get minutes next season already, he's a great shooter, he's very athletic and I love him as a pick - he might even be able to play small forward for us in modern NBA. Simons is probably 2 years away from contributing but I like taking a punt on a player that may grow into something truly good.

Utah - Grayson Allen is a bit of a tool but he's a force on the offensive end and has competitiveness required to play in the league. He should also be able to contribute from the start and his shooting off the bench will be a plus for the team.

Philadelphia - already mentioned above, I love Smith for Bridges trade, I like Shamet and Milton picks even if they aren't going to contribute straightaway and one of them might not even make the roster next season.
Heat’s draft pick is an overrated asset.

The East is trash And Spo will find a way to coach them into the playoffs.

I like the deal for Sixers though, any Extra help in shedding salary for them would make it easier for them to go for LeBron and another star.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Euro basket. Also the ther team sold out to stop him and keep the ball out of his hands

mav_9me

Euro ball has slower pace and only play 40 mins compared the NBA’s 48.

And Euro ball’s definitation of an assist is way tougher than the NBA. What counts as an NBA assist would most probably not get counted in Euro ball most of the time.
Euro basket. Also the ther team sold out to stop him and keep the ball out of his hands
Appreciate the replies. Makes lot more sense now.

Sarni

Heat’s draft pick is an overrated asset.

The East is trash And Spo will find a way to coach them into the playoffs.

I like the deal for Sixers though, any Extra help in shedding salary for them would make it easier for them to go for LeBron and another star.
It is now but there are teams who are trash now that will leap over them because they are going young. I think the lack of talent will eventually catch up with them.

Sarni

Great draft, much better than last year. Lots of surprises, and I'm actually happy with how the teams I like picked. I'm a fan of Sexton and he'll have the right mentality and grittiness to survive the wasteland of a post-LeBron Cavs, and the Blazers doubled down on shot creation and shooting with two players who are intriguing. Also think the Suns did magnificent - dealing the Miami pick hurts for them, but getting someone like Bridges who should slot into their team as a polished 3 and D player right away, along with his toughness and winning mentality, should really compliment their other young pieces. If Ayton comes good, especially on defense, they'll have a very exciting team in a couple years.
I think the Heat pick was too high a price to pay to move up six spots. Good thing about Bridges is that he can contribute from the go, he’s 22 and has experienced winning. He will be a good fit for Suns. Okobo is the true steal for them IMO, I expected him to go much, much higher than 31. I wonder if they will be running with Booker at point and Bridges at 2 (Jackson at 3/4 and Warren at 3 or off the bench) or will they try to get a point guard in free agency and then rotate with Okobo. Won’t be surprised if Okobo is playing 25 minutes a night by the end of season.

ZDwyr

The NBA has to change this award ceremony thing. The fact Harden is going to get the MVP well after the season ended is so stupid. I think last year it didn't bother me as much because I was still so excited to see Westbrook get it. But for neutral fans it definitely makes it lose some of the appeal.

Zen

No one cares because these dudes just statpadding their way to LeBron's gong. Guess it's better than winning due to voter fatigue like Malone and others robbing MJ of 10 of them.

ZDwyr

LeBron hasn't deserved the MVP the past two seasons. He's the best player, yes, but he didn't have the best regular seasons.

elmo

I think the Heat pick was too high a price to pay to move up six spots. Good thing about Bridges is that he can contribute from the go, he’s 22 and has experienced winning. He will be a good fit for Suns. Okobo is the true steal for them IMO, I expected him to go much, much higher than 31. I wonder if they will be running with Booker at point and Bridges at 2 (Jackson at 3/4 and Warren at 3 or off the bench) or will they try to get a point guard in free agency and then rotate with Okobo. Won’t be surprised if Okobo is playing 25 minutes a night by the end of season.
Knight should get the start at PG.

Depending on how his game meshes with Booker, we might see Okobo and Knight fight for the starting job long term.

Zen

LeBron hasn't deserved the MVP the past two seasons. He's the best player, yes, but he didn't have the best regular seasons.
The "bums" Westbrook apparently carried to the playoffs last year....well proved not to be bums this year.
Harden not so much, but CP3-Capela led Rockets still get 45-50.

Cavs will collapse as per usual. It was fine LeBron not winning sometimes in the Heat era, but I'm not buying it the past 4 wins. I think he also be a losing Finals MVP winner too at least once, and well probably only once.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
If the Mavs do sign Capela or Cousins, and say Doncic proves an immediate impact, are they a playoff seed in that 6-8 range?
I don't think so. A lot of unknowns in that scenario and they would all have to go very well for that to happen. We don't really know how good Doncic would be in the NBA, how good Capela would be on another team and how good Cousins would be after the injury.