NBA 2018-2019

stepic

his TS% is 50.1%, which is terrible. not sure where it ranks exactly in the league but it's not in the top 100 players. his PER has also dropped from 30 to 21 in 2 seasons.

but.... triple doubles!

freeurmind

weak willed
I don't get all the triple double jokes. Do rebounds and assists not matter all of a sudden? I get that people don't like Russ's game and that's fine but the idea now that people are saying that getting 10 rebounds and 10 assists in a game is something to ridicule someone for then I give up.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I don't get all the triple double jokes. Do rebounds and assists not matter all of a sudden? I get that people don't like Russ's game and that's fine but the idea now that people are saying that getting 10 rebounds and 10 assists in a game is something to ridicule someone for then I give up.
Isn't it because he's a stat padder and those records almost seemed more important to him than actually winning with the whole team?

Could be wrong though.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
A huge amount of his rebounds are not impressive at all. Its blatant stad padding.

freeurmind

weak willed
The idea that he cares more about stats than winning is ridiculous. So what we're now saying is that someone who makes an effort to get rebounds is stat padding? When did getting rebounds become this negative thing? And I don't know then what mental gymnastics have to be made to say he's padding assists because the other criticism is that he shoots too much. So would it be better then if Russ averaged the same points and assists but 2 less rebounds? Would he be a better player then? It's crazy.

Eboue

The idea that he cares more about stats than winning is ridiculous. So what we're now saying is that someone who makes an effort to get rebounds is stat padding? When did getting rebounds become this negative thing? And I don't know then what mental gymnastics have to be made to say he's padding assists because the other criticism is that he shoots too much. So would it be better then if Russ averaged the same points and assists but 2 less rebounds? Would he be a better player then? It's crazy.
Look at how his rebounds jumped in the last few years. It's entirely driven by defensive rebounding and a deliberate strategy both by him and the team to let him get those rebounds. On what planet does 6'3 Westbrook consistently outrebound Steven Adams, one of the tallest and strongest players in the league, unless its a deliberate gameplan to have Westbrook get more rebounds.

A few years back people were going crazy because Reggie Evans was outrebounding Brook Lopez but if you watched closely you could see its because Lopez boxed out and allowed Evans to grab the rebounds.

http://thebrooklyngame.com/why-broo...d-is-the-reason-reggie-evans-can-grab-boards/

Eboue

It doesnt neccesarily mean it's a bad strategy either. You can make the case that having Westbrook grab the rebound allows OKC to run in transition quicker because Westbrook has great acceleration and you no longer need an outlet pass. My theory is that it is a combination of this and some stat padding too.

But when you take Player X and say they average 11 rebounds you assign Y value to that player. All I'm saying is that Westbrooks 11 rebounds arent as valuable as they normally would be since a good chunk of them are acquired differently.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I'd say you need to free your mind and let people think what they want.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Look at how his rebounds jumped in the last few years. It's entirely driven by defensive rebounding and a deliberate strategy both by him and the team to let him get those rebounds. On what planet does 6'3 Westbrook consistently outrebound Steven Adams, one of the tallest and strongest players in the league, unless its a deliberate gameplan to have Westbrook get more rebounds.

A few years back people were going crazy because Reggie Evans was outrebounding Brook Lopez but if you watched closely you could see its because Lopez boxed out and allowed Evans to grab the rebounds.

http://thebrooklyngame.com/why-broo...d-is-the-reason-reggie-evans-can-grab-boards/
Brook was one of the most underrated player in the league and you could really tell when people just jack off to stats when they say he's a horrible rebounder. He's one of the best at boxing out and his teammates almost always ends up with career highs in rebounds when he's out there doing the dirty work for them.

Only took him developing a 3 and playing on a contender before people realised how good he actually is.

elmo

Derrick White with a career game again, I swear the Spurs development team is the best in the league by far, so many late picks and the Spurs have managed to get them all contributing for a playoff team in the West where the competition is stacked as hell.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Derrick White with a career game again, I swear the Spurs development team is the best in the league by far, so many late picks and the Spurs have managed to get them all contributing for a playoff team in the West where the competition is stacked as hell.
Said this many times on here but it feels like whoever you plug into that Spurs team, they immediately become better players. I bet you that if you tried moving White, Bertrans or Forbes to a different team in the league they would suddenly not be half as good as they are. It’s all about the system.

Sarni

Brook was one of the most underrated player in the league and you could really tell when people just jack off to stats when they say he's a horrible rebounder. He's one of the best at boxing out and his teammates almost always ends up with career highs in rebounds when he's out there doing the dirty work for them.

Only took him developing a 3 and playing on a contender before people realised how good he actually is.
Can’t believe the steal Bucks have got there. He has to get $10million a year in the Summer at minimum I think.

Sarni

Despite last night’s performance I still think Simmons is not right for the playoffs with his lack of shot. It may not be exposed when they are up by several against Nets but will hurt them against better teams going forward.

freeurmind

weak willed
Despite last night’s performance I still think Simmons is not right for the playoffs with his lack of shot. It may not be exposed when they are up by several against Nets but will hurt them against better teams going forward.
I agree that he needs to develop that jumper but man when he comes to play he's pretty effective on both ends.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
For some reason, people tend to get into the extremes when talking about Simmons. He's neither the next LeBron nor is he a liability or "not right for the playoffs". If Rondo can win a ring, so can Simmons.

elmo

Said this many times on here but it feels like whoever you plug into that Spurs team, they immediately become better players. I bet you that if you tried moving White, Bertrans or Forbes to a different team in the league they would suddenly not be half as good as they are. It’s all about the system.
If it's just about the system, other teams would have just replicated it as well by now . The Spurs development team just finds a way to get the best out of every player no matter their skillset .

It's just incredible really .

freeurmind

weak willed
For some reason, people tend to get into the extremes when talking about Simmons. He's neither the next LeBron nor is he a liability or "not right for the playoffs". If Rondo can win a ring, so can Simmons.
Also it's his second year. I think he'll continue to improve as he goes along. He can't shoot but he can basically do everything else pretty well.

Pentagruel

It’s not the system as some kind of magic sauce to improve players that a lot of people seem to think. When a lot of those players leave like Leonard, George Hill, Turkoglu, to name just a few, they remain good players. Sometimes they are not put in the best positions to succeed, but their basketball skills remain the same.

You need to look at the organization as a whole. There is trust running through the entire organization, from the scouting department, the player development, the coaching, the player management... all of them are working in sync. There is a long term goal and clear vision in mind, and decades of knowledge and experience to pull from. And a willingness to take risks and try new things too.

Derrick White is a perfect example of this. He was a player who did not have a glamorous college career, who toiled in division II basketball before earning a move to Colorado in the pac-12 where he played for 1 season before entering the draft. He wasn’t an obvious choice for NBA teams, you had to do your homework to see that he was actually a pretty darn talented player. Yet his natural talent probably would not have been enough to really make him a star on his own. He also needed development and the Spurs are second to none in developing their players. Tony Parker couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn when he entered the league but developed one of the smoothest mid-range games in the league. Kawhi Leonard was viewed as a defense guy who could rebound well coming out of college... now... well, you know now. All of these guys of course worked incredibly hard to accomplish what they have, and have been willing to be coached, but the Spurs organization has provided the best tools to these players to truly excel. That can sometimes be the G-league which is where White spent most of his rookie season honing his skills with actual game time that he wouldn’t be able to get on the Spurs’ first team. And all along the way, Popovich is there to help put players in the best position possible to succeed in the short term day to day stuff, both as players and as people.

It’s not some magic system that only works for players in San Antonio. It’s hard work throughout the organization top to bottom with lasting effects even when those players move on.

Sarni

It’s not the system as some kind of magic sauce to improve players that a lot of people seem to think. When a lot of those players leave like Leonard, George Hill, Turkoglu, to name just a few, they remain good players. Sometimes they are not put in the best positions to succeed, but their basketball skills remain the same.

You need to look at the organization as a whole. There is trust running through the entire organization, from the scouting department, the player development, the coaching, the player management... all of them are working in sync. There is a long term goal and clear vision in mind, and decades of knowledge and experience to pull from. And a willingness to take risks and try new things too.

Derrick White is a perfect example of this. He was a player who did not have a glamorous college career, who toiled in division II basketball before earning a move to Colorado in the pac-12 where he played for 1 season before entering the draft. He wasn’t an obvious choice for NBA teams, you had to do your homework to see that he was actually a pretty darn talented player. Yet his natural talent probably would not have been enough to really make him a star on his own. He also needed development and the Spurs are second to none in developing their players. Tony Parker couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn when he entered the league but developed one of the smoothest mid-range games in the league. Kawhi Leonard was viewed as a defense guy who could rebound well coming out of college... now... well, you know now. All of these guys of course worked incredibly hard to accomplish what they have, and have been willing to be coached, but the Spurs organization has provided the best tools to these players to truly excel. That can sometimes be the G-league which is where White spent most of his rookie season honing his skills with actual game time that he wouldn’t be able to get on the Spurs’ first team. And all along the way, Popovich is there to help put players in the best position possible to succeed in the short term day to day stuff, both as players and as people.

It’s not some magic system that only works for players in San Antonio. It’s hard work throughout the organization top to bottom with lasting effects even when those players move on.
Yeah probably worded this wrong. Their ability to take some players who had been average for so long and turn them into good rotation players is one of a kind though.

Sarni

Game 4 of the series against OKC is going to be crucial. If they tie the series there I think they are going to win in 6.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Game 4 of the series against OKC is going to be crucial. If they tie the series there I think they are going to win in 6.
Whoever takes game 5 will win the series imo. And think Portland has the advantage.
Cracking series so far, looking forward to each game (tbf it is also pretty much the only one that I followed because of the time difference).

Sarni

Whoever takes game 5 will win the series imo. And think Portland has the advantage.
Cracking series so far, looking forward to each game (tbf it is also pretty much the only one that I followed because of the time difference).
I loved the first two games but am still concerned we will drop it. It will suck because I think we could knock Spurs out as well in the next round if we play them.

Thing is, if Nurkic wasn’t injured we would win this one and would be in conference finals IMO. As good as Kanter has been.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I loved the first two games but am still concerned we will drop it. It will suck because I think we could knock Spurs out as well in the next round if we play them.

Thing is, if Nurkic wasn’t injured we would win this one and would be in conference finals IMO. As good as Kanter has been.
Nurkic injury as bad as it was gave a boost to already pretty good team's fighting spirit I feel. Don't get me wrong, obviously a horrible thing to happen and in the best season of Nurkic career but so far it didn't make a significant difference.

I just don't believe OKC in the playoffs. And am saying that as someone who has a bit of a soft spot for both the team and Westbrook since Durant took off.
Keep home advantage, make them feel the pressure like last season against Utah and come game 7 I would certainly put my money on Portland.

Last edited:

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Basically the Patriots of the NBA (or perhaps the Patriots are the Spurs of the NFL).

Sarni

Rockets are legit contenders. When you shoot 38% from the field against Utah and your best player is 3-20, and you still get away with a win, you are in a good position.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Curry getting bailed out in the playoffs once again

Sarni

Ahead by 17 with 6 minutes to go we still manage to make it nervous and are up by 7 with a minute and a half... please don’t lose this.

Sarni

We got this. 3-1 ahead. It’s not over yet but we are in a great position. Now finish the series in game 5 at home and have some rest while Spurs and Nuggets battle it out.