NBA 2019-2020

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Are the Knicks giving up a lottery chance? Why the feck are they winning.....tank you Bastards.

I know the lottery format has changed but still. Starting to feel like we will be getting 7-9 pick...

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Clippers got beaten badly with leonard and george on...

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Beasley is a weird one, after the trade I looked around and a lot of people were saying that he was good but only didn't get the minutest due to Denver being stacked. And after his first game, you have to wonder if they weren't right.

SportingCP96

Supports
What in the heck was that Knicks vs ATL game....Jesus

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Morant looks special. I wonder if he'll be regarded as the better pick than Zion in a decade. Early days of course, but still.

SportingCP96

Supports
Morant looks special. I wonder if he'll be regarded as the better pick than Zion in a decade. Early days of course, but still.
Think that depends on if Zion can stay healthy in said decade. Morant is SPECIAL though, no doubt. He is a very exciting player to watch!

SportingCP96

Supports
I had the misfortune of watching it in a cigar bar.

I like Mike "no not that Mike Miller" Miller. Trae Young is just ridiculous though
I love Trae. Unreal player!

forevrared

I love Trae. Unreal player!
I know it’s ridiculously early in his career and I was only a kid when we had ‘Nique, but Trae is the most exciting player we’ve ever had in Atlanta.

If Hunter/Reddish/Huerter continue to develop at the rate they’re going, we’ve got a solid playoff team coming up in the next couple of years.

Trae
Cam/Huerter
Hunter
Collins
Capela

That looks very, very promising to me with the next few years in mind. We’ll have another lottery pick this year and probably take the BPA now that we have Capela, so it should make the draft much more straightforward than trying to turn that pick into a big that fits our team.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Are the Knicks giving up a lottery chance? Why the feck are they winning.....tank you Bastards.

I know the lottery format has changed but still. Starting to feel like we will be getting 7-9 pick...
Lottery odds are indeed a lot more flat and to be fair this is the worst draft in a long, long time. Even top 5 prospects look quite bad and none of them would normally be there. Knicks may even still make the playoffs at this rate with Nets and Magic playing well below .500.

SportingCP96

Supports
I know it’s ridiculously early in his career and I was only a kid when we had ‘Nique, but Trae is the most exciting player we’ve ever had in Atlanta.

If Hunter/Reddish/Huerter continue to develop at the rate they’re going, we’ve got a solid playoff team coming up in the next couple of years.

Trae
Cam/Huerter
Hunter
Collins
Capela

That looks very, very promising to me with the next few years in mind. We’ll have another lottery pick this year and probably take the BPA now that we have Capela, so it should make the draft much more straightforward than trying to turn that pick into a big that fits our team.
I have to agree with you, I think the future is very bright in Atlanta and they have a franchise player to build around.

The only part I disagree in is....the most exciting player Atalanta have ever had is Pistol Pete Maravich!....for now. Trae is most likely going to surpass him as Atlanta’s greatest ever player. You can see he based his game off of steph curry.

SportingCP96

Supports
Lottery odds are indeed a lot more flat and to be fair this is the worst draft in a long, long time. Even top 5 prospects look quite bad and none of them would normally be there. Knicks may even still make the playoffs at this rate with Nets and Magic playing well below .500.
I agree this draft is not as good as last years but there are a few players I like.

The obvious 3 are Wiseman, Edwards and LaMelo. Obviously I prefer LaMelo as I think he will be a great player and the Knicks needs a PG. I also like Tyrese Haliburton. Pass first point guard with high basketball IQ and then there is Cole Anthony which I can’t form an opinion on...at times I like him and others I don’t.

Correct me if I wrong obviously but what would be the point in attempting to making the playoffs? Chances are they won’t make it and then they will be in no mans land where they don’t make the playoffs but then they also have too many wins to potentially get a high pick all playing with players who will have no part of the Knicks future, if it was the young kids playing then maybe but we are on this run with the vets really.

I just don’t see the point unless they are trying to increase the value of some of the vets they have to try to trade for other pieces. I just don’t see a point in a false hope playoff push with this team.

Sarni

I agree this draft is not as good as last years but there are a few players I like.

The obvious 3 are Wiseman, Edwards and LaMelo. Obviously I prefer LaMelo as I think he will be a great player and the Knicks needs a PG. I also like Tyrese Haliburton. Pass first point guard with high basketball IQ and then there is Cole Anthony which I can’t form an opinion on...at times I like him and others I don’t.

Correct me if I wrong obviously but what would be the point in attempting to making the playoffs? Chances are they won’t make it and then they will be in no mans land where they don’t make the playoffs but then they also have too many wins to potentially get a high pick all playing with players who will have no part of the Knicks future, if it was the young kids playing then maybe but we are on this run with the vets really.

I just don’t see the point unless they are trying to increase the value of some of the vets they have to try to trade for other pieces. I just don’t see a point in a false hope playoff push with this team.
Creating winning mentality within the team. It's something that isn't appreciated enough but if you keep losing forever, you will find it tough to build winners' team in the long run. I really believe this is the case, perennial losers stay losers.

Also the importance of having high picks is overrated. Last years champions did not have a single lottery pick in their entire roster, they did however have extremely strong scouting system and internal development. That's what teams should be aiming for rather than accumulating high pick after high pick. Phoenix and Minnesota have done this for years and are still nowhere, with most of their high picks already gone.

Actually looking at rookies this year, the top 5 I would have would be, in no apparent order:
  • Zion - no. 1, predictably amazing
  • Ja Morant - no. 2 overall pick, fair enough
  • Brandon Clarke - picked with no. 21
  • Tyler Herro - picked with no. 13
  • Terence Davis - undrafted
And then there's Kendrick Nunn picked out of G-League scrubs.

You have to have good scouting first and then worry about having high lottery picks year in year out. Of course you have a much better chance to draft someone good with no. 5 than you have with no. 25 but if your scouting and development sucks, you aren't going anywhere anyway. Some of the best players in the league were drafted outside of lottery or even second round - Giannis, Kawhi, Jokic etc. Very few of the current best players were actually drafted in top 3.

Last edited:

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

I'm a Magic fan. We have had so many false dawns since the Howard trade, but we arent even playing badly yet are so far below .500.

It's been good to see Fultz finding himself on the court though. After all the injury issues he looked a potential wash out.

Sarni

I'm a Magic fan. We have had so many false dawns since the Howard trade, but we arent even playing badly yet are so far below .500.

It's been good to see Fultz finding himself on the court though. After all the injury issues he looked a potential wash out.
For Magic I think Isaac's injury is killing any hope for this season. It's just about making the playoffs and getting hammered by Milwaukee now. It's not like they could be any competitive with Isaac in the playoffs, but would probably get closer to or above .500.

They need to think about re-tooling in the Summer though. Gordon and Isaac can't really co-exist in the same team unless you are playing super small ball with Isaac at 5, and then you have no use for Vucevic and Bamba. Speaking of Bamba, they need to either make a decision to play him more significant minutes or let him go to avoid depreciating his value even more. Even now they'd struggle to get more than a non-lottery pick for him but there may be opportunity to use him in a trade package for a better player. Also difficult decision to make on Fournier who's probably going to decline his player option for next season... he will command $20million a season or more and at this point I'm not sure I'd be willing to take that hit, even though he's had his career season so far. Then again I do not really have an alternate option for them if he leaves, it's not like Magic will be a free agency destination, so while you may get better value out there, there's hardly any use for the savings.

The building block for future is Isaac. Whatever you try to do, it should be with the goal of complimenting him the best they can. That should start by moving Gordon for a 2/3 who can shoot.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

For Magic I think Isaac's injury is killing any hope for this season. It's just about making the playoffs and getting hammered by Milwaukee now. It's not like they could be any competitive with Isaac in the playoffs, but would probably get closer to or above .500.

They need to think about re-tooling in the Summer though. Gordon and Isaac can't really co-exist in the same team unless you are playing super small ball with Isaac at 5, and then you have no use for Vucevic and Bamba. Speaking of Bamba, they need to either make a decision to play him more significant minutes or let him go to avoid depreciating his value even more. Even now they'd struggle to get more than a non-lottery pick for him but there may be opportunity to use him in a trade package for a better player. Also difficult decision to make on Fournier who's probably going to decline his player option for next season... he will command $20million a season or more and at this point I'm not sure I'd be willing to take that hit, even though he's had his career season so far. Then again I do not really have an alternate option for them if he leaves, it's not like Magic will be a free agency destination, so while you may get better value out there, there's hardly any use for the savings.

The building block for future is Isaac. Whatever you try to do, it should be with the goal of complimenting him the best they can. That should start by moving Gordon for a 2/3 who can shoot.
Our main problem is everyone we have moved on has gone on to be a success bar, amazingly, Howard. This pretty much has been our last decade. Oladipo is probably one of their biggest mistakes and it'll weigh heavily as they decide what to do with Gordon.

I reckon you are right, Isaac has significant upside if he can get some stability injury wise but Gordon is one of those players who everyone hopes for the best but it may never come in a Magic jersey. I was there at the Amway for his highest scoring game. I was also there when he sent something like 3 for 20 :houllier: He does have a friendly contract though so he could be decent trade bait.

I love Vuc and Fournier but they are both albatrosses. This is Fourniers best output yet he still can't really defend and although his stroke is more consistent this year it's still not at a level we need to move forward. Vuc is such a quandary. He is so good offensively and rebounding but almost a liability on defence. He has went off the boil a little after last years heroics.

The team is young but its glass ceiling may well be 7th seed

SportingCP96

Supports
Creating winning mentality within the team. It's something that isn't appreciated enough but if you keep losing forever, you will find it tough to build winners' team in the long run. I really believe this is the case, perennial losers stay losers.

Also the importance of having high picks is overrated. Last years champions did not have a single lottery pick in their entire roster, they did however have extremely strong scouting system and internal development. That's what teams should be aiming for rather than accumulating high pick after high pick. Phoenix and Minnesota have done this for years and are still nowhere, with most of their high picks already gone.

Actually looking at rookies this year, the top 5 I would have would be, in no apparent order:
  • Zion - no. 1, predictably amazing
  • Ja Morant - no. 2 overall pick, fair enough
  • Brandon Clarke - picked with no. 21
  • Tyler Herro - picked with no. 13
  • Terence Davis - undrafted
And then there's Kendrick Nunn picked out of G-League scrubs.

You have to have good scouting first and then worry about having high lottery picks year in year out. Of course you have a much better chance to draft someone good with no. 5 than you have with no. 25 but if your scouting and development sucks, you aren't going anywhere anyway. Some of the best players in the league were drafted outside of lottery or even second round - Giannis, Kawhi, Jokic etc. Very few of the current best players were actually drafted in top 3.
Ya I understand this completely... just don’t think I trust that front office to do any of what you just said. Time will Tell.

SportingCP96

Supports

Loving Fultz so far. I think it’s obvious the ball handling and playmaking ability he has. Magic took a chance on him and it really payed off.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Loving Fultz so far. I think it’s obvious the ball handling and playmaking ability he has. Magic took a chance on him and it really payed off.
We don't have a great history of winning a gamble so I am beyond happy with how this has went. If he can keep his shoulder problems in check he could maybe become a top PG. He will never be a serious scorer though, but his D has serious potential

SportingCP96

Supports
We don't have a great history of winning a gamble so I am beyond happy with how this has went. If he can keep his shoulder problems in check he could maybe become a top PG. He will never be a serious scorer though, but his D has serious potential
If he fixed that jumpshot he could be because he is crafty attacking the basket. He found a team that believes in him and where the pressure is less then in philly and it is paying dividends.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

If he fixed that jumpshot he could be because he is crafty attacking the basket. He found a team that believes in him and where the pressure is less then in philly and it is paying dividends.
He is becoming a pretty effective slasher. If he can get a little more shots away successfully he could be a real threat. Was thankfully a win win scenario for Orlando as we didnt give much up....this time

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
No chance in my opinion. Maybe if Zion is annihilated by injuries like people have been predicting, but I don't believe those armchair doctors.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
No chance in my opinion. Maybe if Zion is annihilated by injuries like people have been predicting, but I don't believe those armchair doctors.
Zion's talent level is obviously unquestionable but yeah I meant with injury concerns and stuff. Morant looks like a biller too, and if Zion misses like 30 games every season, well... Maybe there's a debate there - if he stays healthy the next decade, then there's most likely no question about it.

Skåre Willoch

Westbrook awesome again against the Celtics. I really, really wonder how the Rockets will do in the playoffs. Two players who can both win games on their own.

SportingCP96

Supports
Zion is simply unreal. He is 19 and is manhandling grown men in the paint! The crazy thing is....he is not even fully fit yet and he is getting practically 20-10 In what seems like first gear. His full athletic ability has still not been shown like in college or even pre season where he was throwing down monster jams.

If healthy it is very very scary what this kid will become.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Zion is simply unreal. He is 19 and is manhandling grown men in the paint! The crazy thing is....he is not even fully fit yet and he is getting practically 20-10 In what seems like first gear. His full athletic ability has still not been shown like in college or even pre season where he was throwing down monster jams.

If healthy it is very very scary what this kid will become.
I wonder if Zion may end up injury prone. He has grown so much so quick. He is an athletic monster. I was unsure how he would translate to the bigger bodies of the NBA but somehow he is making it look easy!

SportingCP96

Supports
I wonder if Zion may end up injury prone. He has grown so much so quick. He is an athletic monster. I was unsure how he would translate to the bigger bodies of the NBA but somehow he is making it look easy!
That is the only thing that can derail his potential and career...sadly I think it is possible. His potential is so scary and it would be a shame if it was derailed by injuries.

SportingCP96

Supports

For me: Wilt, Bird, Jordan, Stockton, Wade
PG-LBJ
SG- Wade
SF- Durant
PF- Prime Melo (just cause someone will be triggered)
C- Shaq

I was constantly changing this lineup because you just can’t have a starting 5 and not include Shaq and MJ or LBJ.... so for this team I wanted Shaq at center at all costs so that took 4 points I needed a point guard and there was slim pickings in this chart in terms of how I wanted to mix my points so I went with arguably the second best player of all time at PG in Lebron James (5 points)... at SG I went with his best friend Wade (3 points) who they have amazing chemistry with each other and Wade has played with Shaq..at small forward it had to be KD (1 point) because there Is no one who can guard him and he can score from anywhere...at PF I went with A prime Melo(2 points) because he can score on anywhere and he can shoot the 3 ball well.. And there it is 15 points.

Man I feel guilty for not including MJ in this but I used what was giving to me. My all time 5 he is the first person on that team.

This was fun!

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
I’d go with MJ, LeBron, Stockton, Dirk and KG. No true center, but a couple of almost 7-footers plus LeBron’s size at 3 leads me to think we’d be okay.