NBA 2019-2020

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Watching all the various clips with Arenas on ESPN. These were very good, the man is very funny
Also very interesting and knows a lot about the sport and is good at getting his point across. Rarely banal, too

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Nick Nurse is a seriously impressive coach. To go to LA without Lowry and Ibaka and still comfortably beat Lakers is extremely good. They are 7-2 and cruising now, should probably win 50+ games again. Some reinforcements are needed though because that bench is too thin.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Boucher has been a nice contributor for our Raps so far

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
These NBA refs are a disgrace. The Raptors keep playing by a different rule set. In ever single game, we have had to contend with not only the opposition but the NBA referees.

I'm sick of their xenophobic approach to Raptors games. I just hope that someone from the Raptors org keeps calling them out on this. This is not right.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
@mazhar13 I missed the game, what happened?
Nothing in particular. The refs were allowing the Clippers to play their aggressive defence and let them get away with lots of contact. We, on the other hand, conceded more fouls whilst playing similarly. They took ~15 more free throws than us as a result. Given how close the game was, this is not acceptable.

We fought really hard for a back-to-back game against the Clippers and with 2 injuries. Despite that, the game was decided by the refs.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
It is not the first game that some questionable calls went Clippers way in the 4th (Spurs game for example). Considering both teams played super aggressive the margin in free-throws was too much.

Raptors looked excellent again though. Great defense (Lebron scored 13, Kawhi now just 12 with 9 TO) and probably best transition offense in the league so far.

Sarni

Not convinced at all about VanVleet playing 45 minutes on a second night of back to back or Siakam playing 43 minutes two nights in a row...

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Not convinced at all about VanVleet playing 45 minutes on a second night of back to back or Siakam playing 43 minutes two nights in a row...
Not ideal but they've got injuries to Lowry and Ibaka haven't they?

Normal circumstances, they wouldn't be playing such heavy minutes.

Sarni

Not ideal but they've got injuries to Lowry and Ibaka haven't they?

Normal circumstances, they wouldn't be playing such heavy minutes.
They do, and their bench is pretty thin though Boucher and Davis seem like they are ready to contribute. They badly need more depth and will probably be in the market for players quite soon. It also doesn't look like Stanley Johnson will work out. Maybe Rondae will contribute. I actually slightly like Matt Thomas as well.

Jim Beam

Think they all had "feck, we can win back to back LA games" moment and went all in. Also, genuinely looked like a better team going into the last quarter. Hard to bench players in this instance.

They will most lakely manage it a bit better in the future.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Lowry out, Ibaka out and OG going down after 2 minutes.

They can be damn proud of that effort.

Sarni

Think they all had "feck, we can win back to back LA games" moment and went all in. Also, genuinely looked like a better team going into the last quarter. Hard to bench players in this instance.

They will most lakely manage it a bit better in the future.
I'm sure they will. It's early into season and building up a nice record now should allow them to get some rest in the crucial period too.

Wonder if they'll be trading for anyone significant or will they let the same roster roll until the end of season. They are in an interesting position where they've basically started their rebuild while maintaining a highly competitive core. Because their scouting is fantastic they don't actually have to have high draft picks to build a good team. They took Siakam and Anunoby with late firsts and acquired VanVleet out of nowhere, basically. Those three will be the core going forward, and I imagine they will try to acquire some nice pieces from free agency this year before going big in 2021 (they apparently want Giannis and have a chance). I could see them offering lucrative deals to players like Malik Beasley, basically to fill out the roster with quality without overspending.

They have fantastic culture, great coach, great fans and can develop players better than most teams, they'll always be an attractive proposition for free agents out there.

Jim Beam

I'm sure they will. It's early into season and building up a nice record now should allow them to get some rest in the crucial period too.

Wonder if they'll be trading for anyone significant or will they let the same roster roll until the end of season. They are in an interesting position where they've basically started their rebuild while maintaining a highly competitive core. Because their scouting is fantastic they don't actually have to have high draft picks to build a good team. They took Siakam and Anunoby with late firsts and acquired VanVleet out of nowhere, basically. Those three will be the core going forward, and I imagine they will try to acquire some nice pieces from free agency this year before going big in 2021 (they apparently want Giannis and have a chance). I could see them offering lucrative deals to players like Malik Beasley, basically to fill out the roster with quality without overspending.

They have fantastic culture, great coach, great fans and can develop players better than most teams, they'll always be an attractive proposition for free agents out there.
Yeah, and quite a change from the perception not so long ago. Willing to take risks (Kawhi trade), great eye for talent along with an obviously very talented coach and a resilient team on the floor. Masai is already seen as one of the best executives in the NBA. Pretty impressive altogether. No matter how this season goes (probably playoff and putting a good fight against one of 76ers, Bucks or Celtics) the future looks bright.

Tbh, would love them to continue this way and be a successful franchise. After all, they have the whole country behind them. Just need to throw Drake out somehow. :wenger:

Fridge chutney

Lowry and Ibaka went off injured just before the road trip and Kawhi injured OG 2 minutes into the game last night. Not ideal to load up so many minutes on Siakam and FVV but 3 starters are out so you do what you have to against 2 of the best teams in the league unfortunately.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
These NBA refs are a disgrace. The Raptors keep playing by a different rule set. In ever single game, we have had to contend with not only the opposition but the NBA referees.

I'm sick of their xenophobic approach to Raptors games. I just hope that someone from the Raptors org keeps calling them out on this. This is not right.
:lol:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

A tad too dramatic no ?

Slevs

likes to play with penises

Could be worse, you could be a Knicks fan.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
This is 100% true.

You just won a world title mate and will probably make the playoffs yet again. On the flip side the Knicks just got blown out by the Cavs at home :lol::lol:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
A tad too dramatic no ?
This is 100% true.

You just won a world title mate and will probably make the playoffs yet again. On the flip side the Knicks just got blown out by the Cavs at home :lol::lol:
Yeah, it is dramatic, and the timing is poor, but I was thinking about posting this for the past few years. I expected it to be received negatively, but there has rarely been a stretch of games where I felt that the Raptors were reffed fairly.

I'm looking past performances and W/L records; I'm merely evaluating the refereeing performances for our games.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yeah, it is dramatic, and the timing is poor, but I was thinking about posting this for the past few years. I expected it to be received negatively, but there has rarely been a stretch of games where I felt that the Raptors were reffed fairly.

I'm looking past performances and W/L records; I'm merely evaluating the refereeing performances for our games.
You can have your grievances with refereeing though you didn't just merely evaluate it, you hinted at some form of horrible bias

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
You can have your grievances with refereeing though you didn't just merely evaluate it, you hinted at some form of horrible bias
Oh yeah, I did take it too far, and I acknowledge that. My anger on the spot played a role.

Having said that, the correlation is way too uncanny for me. I may have to watch replays of our matches this season and really see what's going on.

Abizzz

Nah you're fine @mazhar13 the nba refs have always been crooks reffing for the bigger media market. (Actually I haven't watched the NBA regularly in a decade but that's why I stopped. Always felt like there's no age limit for refs either)
It's really just the WWE with taller more diverse men and a ball

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Nah you're fine @mazhar13 the nba refs have always been crooks reffing for the bigger media market. (Actually I haven't watched the NBA regularly in a decade but that's why I stopped. Always felt like there's no age limit for refs either)
It's really just the WWE with taller more diverse men and a ball
Toronto is also one of the biggest media markets too

Abizzz

Toronto is also one of the biggest media markets too
It is? I thought it's LA > NY > Chicago > Miami and then everyone else? (The world does change though and I haven't been paying attention)

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Tough loss to the Lakers. This match shows how we lack someone that can keep up with LeBron's physicality and slow him down.

Having Ayton back would help next time.

Sarni

What high lottery prospects should I be looking at and what value can we get for Lillard in the market?

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Well this turned quickly from a week back when you had Portland as one of the certain playoff teams

Sarni

Well this turned quickly from a week back when you had Portland as one of the certain playoff teams
Yeah back then we did not really have half of our team injured. Collins being out basically throws away any chance we had at defending in the paint, and removes our only starting caliber power forward.

At full strength this is a 50+ win team. In current shape it's at best a 41-41 team.

BTW trading Lillard is obviously not going to happen, nor do I want it to happen. He's playing at MVP level this season. We just need to surround him with better players.

SportingCP96

Supports
What high lottery prospects should I be looking at and what value can we get for Lillard in the market?
Lamelo, Cole Anthony, Wiseman, Anthony Edwards....these 4 stand out to me so far.

Sarni

Lamelo, Cole Anthony, Wiseman, Anthony Edwards....these 4 stand out to me so far.
Big pass on LaMelo and Cole Anthony, don't need a point guard and I think I don't like LaMelo anyway. Wiseman and Edwards though...

SportingCP96

Supports
Big pass on LaMelo and Cole Anthony, don't need a point guard and I think I don't like LaMelo anyway. Wiseman and Edwards though...
Ya Wiseman is a monster in the paint. I agree you guys have Dame already so you don't need a point guard. Do you think Portland would trade CJ?

Donut

Can Trae Young actually turn out even better than Doncic?

Both seem like they will become perennial all-stars, and Atlanta can no longer be ridiculed for the trade. Sacramento on the other hand...