NBA 2019-2020

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We still had Conley at the time. Plus PGs in Trae's mold are a dime a dozen.
Are they? His defense is terrible but in terms of creativity and movement with the ball there are very few in the last decade who have been anything like this. He's basically next Curry, with inferior defense. That's a huge asset.

Sarni

I know some people who bemoan the death of the midrange
Spurs have been trying to resurrect that but they seem to be trying something different this year. I don't know why it took so long for people to realize it's the worst shot in basketball though.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Are they? His defense is terrible but in terms of creativity and movement with the ball there are very few in the last decade who have been anything like this. He's basically next Curry, with inferior defense. That's a huge asset.
Not his talent level (he has elite potential), but I think with the way the game has evolved, you see more PGs coming out of college in the mold of a Curry or Trae. I'm kind of confident in the pipeline of backcourt talent coming through over the next few years. Keep in mind that Ja Morant in college played for Murray St, a back water school in a back water conference.

Compare that with JJJ's skillset which is rarer, in terms of his offensive versatility on the perimeter (he can pop and drive), his rim protecting skills, and his ability to operate down low if you feed him. Plus I won't lie, there is a sentimental part in him carrying on tradition from the likes of Z-Bo and Marc. Even if we didn't luck out on Ja, I think it was the right choice going with JJJ over Trae.

Spurs have been trying to resurrect that but they seem to be trying something different this year. I don't know why it took so long for people to realize it's the worst shot in basketball though.
They were trying to pivot towards Aldridge and Derozan's strengths too much. Pop knows the value of the 3 (see his 2013-14 team), and so do most other coaches in the league.

It's the players who idolize Kobe, as well as nostalgic fans, who still fight the trend. I think there is value in having an efficient midrange shot especially in the playoffs when defenses run you off the 3 point line and guard the rim; that's why Durant and McCollum are money in close playoff games. But they shoot it well so they've earned the right to have a green light. For most players it's a shot that the defense will gladly let you take.

ZDwyr

The Grizzlies are really, really fun. Ja is going to be awesome.

Also, wtf is this?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He's the next Steve Nash with Steph's 3P range
Not his talent level (he has elite potential), but I think with the way the game has evolved, you see more PGs coming out of college in the mold of a Curry or Trae. I'm kind of confident in the pipeline of backcourt talent coming through over the next few years. Keep in mind that Ja Morant in college played for Murray St, a back water school in a back water conference.
Maybe, but Trae is really special. Passing on someone like that is insane to me

Compare that with JJJ's skillset which is rarer, in terms of his offensive versatility on the perimeter (he can pop and drive), his rim protecting skills, and his ability to operate down low if you feed him.
Yes, JJJ is great and has amazing potential...but in the modern NBA, he's never going to be as valuable as Trae. Trae is an offence unto himself

It's the players who idolize Kobe, as well as nostalgic fans, who still fight the trend. I think there is value in having an efficient midrange shot especially in the playoffs when defenses run you off the 3 point line and guard the rim; that's why Durant and McCollum are money in close playoff games. But they shoot it well so they've earned the right to have a green light. For most players it's a shot that the defense will gladly let you take.
The midrange shot isn't dead at all. It's the role player's midrange shot that is dead. Stars still take them, because they're stars and for them it's still a good shot

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
What do you guys think about the hawks and twolves trade?

edcunited1878

What do you guys think about the hawks and twolves trade?
Roster spot is now open for Wolves for another roster move and Hawks get a familiar player in Teague who can run the 2nd offensive unit w/o Young. All contracts are expiring meaning all 3 players involved are UFAs during the summer.

ZDwyr

Is Russell any good? A lot of the advanced stat guys seem to not rate him but casual fans/writers seem to rate him highly. This is a big decision for the Wolves though. Probably their last shot to make KAT happy before he puts in a trade request.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Ayton with another impressive game. He's slowly getting his feel and is noticeably better game by game as the team starts to get used to having him on the court.

ZDwyr

Houston look well-off the pace of the chasing crew (i.e. Denver & Utah).

Sarni

Blazers get Ariza
Money saving move. Seems Portland front office gave up on this season.

Hope one of Memphis and New Orleans get the 8th seed. Would be so boring to watch Spurs or Blazers get swept by Lakers.

Sarni

CP3 with 18 points in 10 minutes. Gosh I wish we get Rockets v Thunder in the playoffs.

freeurmind

weak willed
Harden 1-17 from 3. PJ Tucker 4 shots in 41 minutes. Rockets back to their old selves it seems.

ZDwyr

CP3 with 18 points in 10 minutes. Gosh I wish we get Rockets v Thunder in the playoffs.
Same. Doesn't look like Houston will get a high enough seed unfortunately - unless they put together a solid streak.

Enigma_87

You know who
Great debut from Zion tonight. Considering the long layoff he looked fantastic in those 3 mins in the 4th.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Great debut from Zion tonight. Considering the long layoff he looked fantastic in those 3 mins in the 4th.
Excellent debut. Nevertheless, at times he looked rusty and immobile as a 35 year old center. He probably won't be playing until 35 in the NBA.

Sarni

Excellent debut. Nevertheless, at times he looked rusty and immobile as a 35 year old center. He probably won't be playing until 35 in the NBA.
He's fresh off injury. He's actually amazingly agile and mobile when he's up to speed. His game last night was very different from what normally you would see from him, he won't be this level of shooter but will be a much better athlete than he was last night.

Few players play at a high level at 35 anyway, especially wings. Most of them are semi-retired by 32-33 really. If you look at 2004-2007 drafts, they are mostly gone or relegated to minor roles.

He told Gentry 'Coach, I can win this game for the team' when he was being subbed out. You have to love this guy.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Dallas getting fecked under the basket as always, unreal how poor they are in that segment. Reckon even sunday league centers would give them a game.

Doncic :drool:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Simmon's inability to be a threat from the perimeter will hamper the Sixers' chances of a championship but they are an excellent lock down defensive team

LeBron 3 away from surpassing Kobe

God, has Vogel aged

Sarni

Simmon's inability to be a threat from the perimeter will hamper the Sixers' chances of a championship but they are an excellent lock down defensive team

LeBron 3 away from surpassing Kobe

God, has Vogel aged
They are so much better when one of Simmons and Embiid sits though. Need to make a decision in the Summer to let one of them go IMO, and if I were then I’d trade Embiid to be honest. You can get by with Simmons lack of shooting if you surround him with floor spacers, which Embiid will never be.

Sarni

Luka fam never goes home hungry.

:drool:
Actually he was quite bad last night in the fourth quarter, which wasn’t the first time this season. He needs to get better at decision making, which isn’t really surprising considering he’s just 20.

I think Cauley-Stein will be a good addition for them, obviously forced by Powell’s injury as otherwise they wouldn’t have been in the market for a center. I appreciate how quickly they made a decision to go with WCS though, if this was our front office Olshey would have dithered until the deadline and then got the overpaid Dedmon for an asset.

Sarni

Last nights loss emphasized what many thought about Lakers already - that team needs a third scorer to take care of business when they have to score a bit more than 100 to win. Even if LeBron and AD get you 30 each, you can’t win against good teams if all your remaining players are in single digits. Kuzma really doesn’t fit that team either, and is their best (and to be fair the only) traceable asset so perhaps they should be looking to move him in a deal to upgrade elsewhere.