NBA 2019-2020

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
For a bag of peanuts and some ho hos maybe. :confused: The Dubs hard capped themselves for this. Not happy!
Cheer up!:)

Golden State is out of the tax! The Warriors needed to find a way given how expensive next year’s roster looks to be; depending on the final roster construction, they were looking at $50M in repeater penalties alone. By stuffing Evans and Spellman into the trade, Golden State can now fill its six open roster spots (!) with minimum contracts and still remain a whisker below the tax line… taking the repeater out of play next season as well. (John Hollinger)
Edit: It seems that the Timberwolves traded 90% of the roster in the last 3 days, I have no idea about who is on the team.

Last edited:

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Clippers all but confirmed as favorites for the chip if they were not already. Morris will be a great great piece for them.

Knicks did the smart thing for once in trading Morris. No guarantees he signs for us again in the summer so we were able to get a first and second rounder for a guy with half a season left on his contract, ill take it.

Now to the bad. I have no clue why we went the agent rout with rose. Stupid stupid stupid move. I hope I am wrong but this has everything to be a disaster. Something tells me we are going to do something stupid with the picks we have. My wish is we use these picks and continue our rebuild through the draft and other moves.

Fridge chutney

I don't know how I feel about this wiggins move. What do you guys think?
I don't know yet either, but I'm leaning towards thinking it's a good move (given the picks) for Golden State because they're in rebuild mode. Wiggins has been disappointing but he's 24 and I still think he has some upside, even though his contract will hit their cap harder than they would like.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't know yet either, but I'm leaning towards thinking it's a good move (given the picks) for Golden State because they're in rebuild mode. Wiggins has been disappointing but he's 24 and I still think he has some upside, even though his contract will hit their cap harder than they would like.
Disappointing is the understatement of the century.

SportingCP96

Supports
6 first round picks in the next 3 years along with a potential top 3 pick this season. 2 good prospects and we have cap space. For the first time for as long as I can remember the Knicks are in a good slate for a COMPETENT FO to build something here.

In typical Knicks fashion I believe they will feck this up.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Now to the bad. I have no clue why we went the agent rout with rose. Stupid stupid stupid move. I hope I am wrong but this has everything to be a disaster.
It worked with the Warriors and the Lakers so far, nothing suggest that it'll be a disaster (apart from the fact that it's still the Knicks).

ZDwyr

Wiggins is garbage. I expect Draymomd to hit him at some point next season out of frustration. Clippers did well. Barring injuries they should win the championship.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Not sure how I feel about Drummond being traded to the Cavs.
It’s a pure salary dump. Nothing to contemplate about that much.

Pistons realized he might opt in to his deal next year and didn’t want anything to do with that. With Atlanta getting Capela it’s unlikely he will actually get a good contract offer in the Summer so those $28.7million or so that he can opt into are possibly better than anything he can get.

Last edited:

SportingCP96

Supports
It worked with the Warriors and the Lakers so far, nothing suggest that it'll be a disaster (apart from the fact that it's still the Knicks).
I feel like they should of tried to get presti or someone with FO experience. I mean I hope I am wrong but I am very very skeptical.

ZDwyr

Russell Westbrook is good at basketball and I don't care what anyone says.

stepic

Warriors aren't rebuilding. next year they'll have Curry and Klay back with Green. DLo was never a great fit but i would have thought they could have found someone better than Wiggins. let's see if he can shine when only needing to be the 3rd option on offense.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
They won the title with Barnes at SF. I'm sure they could do the same with Wiggins provided the rest of them come back healthy and fit.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Russell Westbrook is good at basketball and I don't care what anyone says.
He has been great this season, I have no idea why some are saying he doesn't deserve to be in All-star game.
I haven't watched too many Rockets games this season - max 15-20 games, but Westbrook always seems to be the Rockets' best player on the floor, or one of the best, every time I do. Would you guys say Westbrook has been Rockets' player of the season so far?

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I haven't watched too many Rockets games this season - max 15-20 games, but Westbrook always seems to be the Rockets' best player on the floor, or one of the best, every time I do. Would you guys say Westbrook has been Rockets' player of the season so far?
No, obviously that'd be Harden, he is on a bad run of form the last few games but overall he has been the best Rocket player, Westbrook right after him, Westbrook also shines in clutch situations.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
With all this open space and small ball lineup, Russell should benefit the most. Very hard to guard him going in the paint.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
No, obviously that'd be Harden, he is on a bad run of form the last few games but overall he has been the best Rocket player, Westbrook right after him, Westbrook also shines in clutch situations.
Fair enough - good to know the doom merchants before the season started are being proven wrong. People seemed convinced it wouldn't work, and with even more floor space now and no-one clogging his driving lanes, I'd imagine he'll continue to flourish.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Fair enough - good to know the doom merchants before the season started are being proven wrong. People seemed convinced it wouldn't work, and with even more floor space now and no-one clogging his driving lanes, I'd imagine he'll continue to flourish.
I think there's an overreaction over Capela being traded, but he wasn't really a third star, he is a good rebounder but he is week, can't shoot midrange or free throws, what made him good was Harden, I think Covington is a much better fit but I also wanted to see how Jordan Bell would've done in the team I don't like that they traded him immediately, if Rockets can pick up a stretch 5/4 who can rebound well I think they have a good chance at being a contender in the playoffs.

Sarni

They won the title with Barnes at SF. I'm sure they could do the same with Wiggins provided the rest of them come back healthy and fit.
That was when Curry, Thompson and Green were at their absolute best. The assumption that Curry, and especially Klay, will return at their absolute best at 32 and 30 respectively is a stretch IMO.

Sarni

I think there's an overreaction over Capela being traded, but he wasn't really a third star, he is a good rebounder but he is week, can't shoot midrange or free throws, what made him good was Harden, I think Covington is a much better fit but I also wanted to see how Jordan Bell would've done in the team I don't like that they traded him immediately, if Rockets can pick up a stretch 5/4 who can rebound well I think they have a good chance at being a contender in the playoffs.
With trade deadline passed they won't really have many shots at it. There's 1 player that actually fits that bill in a way, that's Marvin Williams and he doesn't even rebound or defend that well, he's just tall. Other centers who may hit the buyout market are Biyombo and... actually that's pretty much it. Looking at possible center options it's either Biyombo or Williams, or you are looking at players who have been out of the league this year for a reason: Faried, Mejri, Noah, Gortat etc.

There are so few players who can defend, rebound and shoot threes at center. I agree though that Covington looks like a good fit.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
That was when Curry, Thompson and Green were at their absolute best. The assumption that Curry, and especially Klay, will return at their absolute best at 32 and 30 respectively is a stretch IMO.
Sorry - that's what I was trying to insintuate with 'healthy and fit'. They have no other way of winning the title so might as well keep their fingers crossed.

Sarni

I still think Rockets will struggle in the playoffs with their current team. They should be able to win the first round if they come up against Jazz or Nuggets but I do not expect them to beat either LA team, let alone both of them, over 7 games. Another thing that will hurt them is they'll just run their best players into the ground with a thin team like this. Tucker will be playing 30+ a night at 35. That is unsustainable.

Sarni

Sorry - that's what I was trying to insintuate with 'healthy and fit'. They have no other way of winning the title so might as well keep their fingers crossed.
Healthy and fit doesn't necessarily mean they'll be as good as before. Actually Curry and Klay might, their best skills are shooting and that usually ages pretty well. Let's see though, I think they will be a good team but not a contender. It also sucks for them that their high pick will come in this particular draft that is possibly the worst of the last 10 years. Them having similar pick in 2018 would have been overkill.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I still think Rockets will struggle in the playoffs with their current team. They should be able to win the first round if they come up against Jazz or Nuggets but I do not expect them to beat either LA team, let alone both of them, over 7 games. Another thing that will hurt them is they'll just run their best players into the ground with a thin team like this. Tucker will be playing 30+ a night at 35. That is unsustainable.
Clippers are scary, but I don't think Lakers are all that great, we'll see what surprise the buyout market can bring, I'm hoping for something unexpected.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
It’s a pure salary dump. Nothing to contemplate about that much.

Pistons realized he might opt in to his deal next year and didn’t want anything to do with that. With Atlanta getting Capela it’s unlikely he will actually get a good contract offer in the Summer so those $28.7million or so that he can opt into are possibly better than anything he can get.
Yep that's what it looks like indeed. It's a cold business.

Sarni

Clippers are scary, but I don't think Lakers are all that great, we'll see what surprise the buyout market can bring, I'm hoping for something unexpected.
I don't really like Lakers roster that much but any team that has LeBron and AD is obviously dangerous. Pretty much every time they faced a good team this year they struggle though - got beaten comprehensively by Bucks, lost to Clippers twice, lost to Raptors, got massacred by Celtics, lost to Sixers... They won one game against Houston and that's pretty much it in terms of wins against teams that could potentially be dangerous in the playoffs (Jazz, Mavs and Nuggets are not contenders IMO).

Admittedly, being in the West they don't have to be concerned with Raptors, Sixers or Celtics but it still shows their shortcomings against quality opposition.

Clippers have had terrible games too but you can easily see that they don't really care about regular season. They'll turn it on and off, Kawhi and George have played maybe 10 games together at most, they are throwing weakened lineups out there and don't seem that interested. Of course it''s not good either as sometimes complacency carries over into postseason.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I think the Rockets have a punchers chance at the title now. They had none before this deal. It'd probably fail but I'm excited to see something new.

SportingCP96

Supports
My question is... there options seem so limited going forward in the future. There is a good chance they don’t win the chip in the next 5 years. By that time if they are still there Westbrook and Harden will be old and they don’t have any picks as far as I know of so they are in no mans land. I could be wrong but it seems like they bet there whole hand on Russel and Harden and it might not reap any benefits.

SportingCP96

Supports
I don't really like Lakers roster that much but any team that has LeBron and AD is obviously dangerous. Pretty much every time they faced a good team this year they struggle though - got beaten comprehensively by Bucks, lost to Clippers twice, lost to Raptors, got massacred by Celtics, lost to Sixers... They won one game against Houston and that's pretty much it in terms of wins against teams that could potentially be dangerous in the playoffs (Jazz, Mavs and Nuggets are not contenders IMO).

Admittedly, being in the West they don't have to be concerned with Raptors, Sixers or Celtics but it still shows their shortcomings against quality opposition.

Clippers have had terrible games too but you can easily see that they don't really care about regular season. They'll turn it on and off, Kawhi and George have played maybe 10 games together at most, they are throwing weakened lineups out there and don't seem that interested. Of course it''s not good either as sometimes complacency carries over into postseason.
This would be huge for Kawhi Legacy if he was to win it with the clippers.

Finals MVP with Spurs....goes to Raptors who never won a chip for 1 season...Wins chip...goes to clippers *wins chip and Finals MVP....that would be insane tbh.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I think the Rockets have a punchers chance at the title now. They had none before this deal. It'd probably fail but I'm excited to see something new.
They won't unless they've the greatest 3 point shooting of all time ever seen in the playoffs. There's really nothing new about what they're going to do in the playoffs, Capela was borderline unplayable in the playoffs and they lost when their 3s weren't falling.

It's just going to be more of the same stuff this year.

Sarni

I don’t get refs thing with Gobert. They almost never call fouls on him late in the game, or anything. Had the most obvious goaltend ever at 116-114 tonight where Dame would have tied the game and they didn’t even review it, just called it a good block and Utah won. Something similar happened against Ingram a few weeks ago, I remember.