NBA 2019-2020

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Why is Vince even on the list though
8x All-Star and delivered the GOAT Slam Dunk Contest performance?

Seems like some people just don't even bother to read the tweet - it clearly states all-time All-Star squad, not in general.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
8x All-Star and delivered the GOAT Slam Dunk Contest performance?

Seems like some people just don't even bother to read the tweet - it clearly states all-time All-Star squad, not in general.
Other than his dunk contest, his performance in the All Stars arent even that important.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
im so triggered by melo that i made a doo doo in my pants
Man you really must be self conscious Bud cause no one even mentioned your name.

Nice to see ya!

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
James - Durant - Chamberlain - Jordan - Stockton
That’s a really solid team as well! I just could not have not put a prime Shaq on my team. For me personally he has to be the starting center in any all time lineup or if available in this kind of points set up

But James, KD, and Jordan!! Uuuf!

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

Am I the only one who thinks this is weird? For a franchise as storied as the Celtics, seems a bit over the top to retire Garnett's jersey. He was there for only six years and one ring.

What's even more crazy is that his number isn't retired for the Wolves when he leads them in pretty much every category that matters. I know he doesn't get along with their owner but that's just ridiculous.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
The Clippers losing again and us beating the Nuggets on Wednesday has given us a nice buffer for the #1 seed, would be disappointing to not finish first at this point.

I also really hope that the Grizzlies overtake Dallas and/or OKC - a 1st round series between them and the Clippers has the potential to be really good.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat

Am I the only one who thinks this is weird? For a franchise as storied as the Celtics, seems a bit over the top to retire Garnett's jersey. He was there for only six years and one ring.

What's even more crazy is that his number isn't retired for the Wolves when he leads them in pretty much every category that matters. I know he doesn't get along with their owner but that's just ridiculous.
KG deserves this kind of respect tbh.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea

That is not comprehensible for me. Are they desperate?

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
KG deserves this kind of respect tbh.
From the Wolves, absolutely. The C's are probably the second most illustrious franchise in NBA history, it's just weird to retire a jersey from someone who I doubt is even considered as a Celtics legend by most fans. Why Garnett and not Allen for example?

Actually, wanted to say that it would be equally weird for the Heat to retire Bosh' jersey but seems that they did :lol: And they even retired Shaq's jersey as well. I think jersey retirements should be reserved for team legends, not for all-time great players who played for the team for a (small) part of his career. O'Neil will forever be mentioned in the same breath as the Lakers, not the Heat. Even if James wins one or two rings with the Lakers, I wouldn' want to see his number retired. It should be at Cleveland, and not even Miami imo but they'll certainly do so if they retired Bosh' jersey as well.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
From the Wolves, absolutely. The C's are probably the second most illustrious franchise in NBA history, it's just weird to retire a jersey from someone who I doubt is even considered as a Celtics legend by most fans. Why Garnett and not Allen for example?

Actually, wanted to say that it would be equally weird for the Heat to retire Bosh' jersey but seems that they did :lol: And they even retired Shaq's jersey as well. I think jersey retirements should be reserved for team legends, not for all-time great players who played for the team for a (small) part of his career. O'Neil will forever be mentioned in the same breath as the Lakers, not the Heat. Even if James wins one or two rings with the Lakers, I wouldn' want to see his number retired. It should be at Cleveland, and not even Miami imo but they'll certainly do so if they retired Bosh' jersey as well.
I think they retire jerseys of HoF who win a ring or more, and KG is really loved by their fans, I too believe it should be wolves but I'm happy for KG at the same time.

elmo

The Celtics pretty much retire anyone important to their championship wins.

They're still salty about Allen otherwise they'll have retired his as well.

elmo

The Heats are a young franchise that Bosh and Shaq are probably the best players at their position in their history....

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
The Heats are a young franchise that Bosh and Shaq are probably the best players at their position in their history....
I consider Mourning a bigger Heat legend than both of them though.

I get that they're a relatively young franchise but what difference does that make? Just saw that the Grizzlies (started in '95) have retired the jerseys of Tony Allen and Z-Bo, I mean come on :lol: Retired jerseys should be players you can tell your grandchildren about for hours, not "he made some All-Defensive teams for a few years in a row while he was here". That's just my take on retiring jerseys though, obviously.

elmo

I get that they're a relatively young franchise but what difference does that make? Just saw that the Grizzlies (started in '95) have retired the jerseys of Tony Allen and Z-Bo, I mean come on :lol: Retired jerseys should be players you can tell your grandchildren about for hours, not "he made some All-Defensive teams for a few years in a row while he was here". That's just my take on retiring jerseys though, obviously.
Ok, we seriously have very differing views since you don't think being a crucial part of a team that won championships is good enough to get their jersey retired for a team that has basically feck all history other than those few players.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Who can effectively guard Zion Williamson? He is going to wreck the NBA for as long as he is healthy.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Ok, we seriously have very differing views since you don't think being a crucial part of a team that won championships is good enough to get their jersey retired for a team that has basically feck all history other than those few players.
*One championship, thanks to D-Wade. Who is the kind of player that deserves to have his jersey retired by the Heat.

What I'm saying is, it's not something to be ashamed of that you don't have that much history if you're a "new" franchise. Don't try to create a history by retiring jerseys of average players. If you look at the Lakers jerseys which are retired, they're players who'll forever be associated with the Lakers and most of them actually shaped the franchise into what it is now. I could be wrong, but I'm willing to bet a lot that people won't say that about Z-Bo and Tony Allen if they talk about the Grizzlies in a few decades. To go back to the Lakers - Gasol and Fisher were instrumental in our last two championships but I wouldn't want to see their jerseys retired.

I guess it boils down to the question whether you wanna reserve that special right for the greatest players, or also give it to very good players who were great for a shorter period of time, and I lean towards the former because I think it's an absolute honour to see a franchise retire your jersey. Same could be said about the HOF debate in the NBA and NFL.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Oi.

So generally I'm not a fan of retiring jerseys for anyone. Not even Kobe or Jordan. Imagine us retiring the 7 jersey after Best instead of seeing successive legends wear it.

If you're not a Grizzlies fan you just won't understand why Z-Bo and TA mean so much to the city.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
There are 101 numbers you can wear in basketball. It's fine to retire them whenever you like to be fair.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
If you're not a Grizzlies fan you just won't understand why Z-Bo and TA mean so much to the city.
I don't no, so fair enough if there were non-basketball reasons to do so, no problems with that. But strictly from a basketball POV, just not for me.

Non-basketball reasons should also be taken into account though by the way, most definitely.

Fridge chutney

Oi.

So generally I'm not a fan of retiring jerseys for anyone. Not even Kobe or Jordan. Imagine us retiring the 7 jersey after Best instead of seeing successive legends wear it.

I agree with this. I think retiring jerseys is more of an American sports tradition though. But it should really be reserved for the best of the best of the best (Jordan, Grezy, etc.).

And I'm getting the sense you're not actually an Arsenal fan...

ZDwyr

This. It's why Nick Collison had his jersey retired by OKC. The contribution goes beyond wins.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Was actually a really good 3 point contest.