NBA 2020-2021

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Any dealings for Mavs? Would appreciate the info if someone knows :)

edcunited1878

I don't know if I've been as excited about a Hawks team in my adult life as I am about this one. I'm sure there'll be kinks to work out and it may take some time to dial in the starting 5 that gets the best out of who we've got, but this team looks legit. We should be in the mix for the playoffs this year and maybe a 4/5 seed next year.

Despite the relative success of our Teague/Korver/Carroll/Millsap/Horford team a few years back, it lacked the star power we have now.
Not sure how much defense the team has on the wings and at the guard position to make the playoffs. Rondo and Dunn could step into that role, but Trae is a complete defensive liability who can't rely on his length (doesn't have any) or size (doesn't have it). Reddish and/or Hunter really have to find their defensive role for the team. As long as Capela stays healthy and their draft pick from USC stays active defensively, their interior defense should be better than years past. Think John Collins is a little overrated and is an empty double-double guy, but he's entertaining.

sport2793

No Blazers? Really?

I think Portland are comfortably the most improved team compared to last season, at least on paper. We've gone from having Hezonja, Tolliver and Whiteside playing with Dame and CJ, to having Hood, Covington and healthy Nurkic out there. Our bench has gone from having to play rookie Little and Weynen Gabriel to having choice of Trent (who has developed so much over last year), Melo, Derrick Jones Jr, as well as having Collins, Giles and Kanter as our center options. It's probably the deepest roster in the West right now.

Barring injuries Blazers should be a lock for the playoffs. Definitely a stronger roster than Rockets, Jazz or Suns.
I think the Rockets will drop out this year, especially with the Harden situation so I would expect Blazers to for sure be in the playoffs. However, I strongly believe you are in for a rude awakening with regards to the Blazers having a stronger roster than the Suns. I say this as a person who actually lives in Portland, OR. Booker and Paul are better than Lillard and McCollum (primarily because McCollum is overrated and small having watched him in person several times + Paul's exploits with OKC last season). Various NBA writers agree with me in this regard so it's not even a minority opinion. Add to that an impressive stable of 3 and D wings who will beat the Blazers' undersized backcourt down and a talent ready to burst out in Ayton being fed by Paul, it's a great matchup for PHX. I do like Collins and Nurkic but I think another season of development for Ayton will negate them. Anthony will find a way to be useless again too, I don't lose sleep at night over that prediction.

ZDwyr

Not really. They lost Seth Curry who was a solid bench option. Drafted Josh Green who (I think) is a decent defensive wing prospect. The plan for Dallas is to not use cap space and save it for next off-season to try and get Giannis.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I think the Rockets will drop out this year, especially with the Harden situation so I would expect Blazers to for sure be in the playoffs. However, I strongly believe you are in for a rude awakening with regards to the Blazers having a stronger roster than the Suns. I say this as a person who actually lives in Portland, OR. Booker and Paul are better than Lillard and McCollum (primarily because McCollum is overrated and small having watched him in person several times + Paul's exploits with OKC last season). Various NBA writers agree with me in this regard so it's not even a minority opinion. Add to that an impressive stable of 3 and D wings who will beat the Blazers' undersized backcourt down and a talent ready to burst out in Ayton being fed by Paul, it's a great matchup for PHX. I do like Collins and Nurkic but I think another season of development for Ayton will negate them. Anthony will find a way to be useless again too, I don't lose sleep at night over that prediction.
Anthony will be a 15 mpg bench option at best, it doesn’t matter if he is useless or not because there are three players on the bench better than him in his best positions.

Lillard is obviously better than anyone Phoenix has, I agree CJ is below that level of Booker or Paul but he’s still a good secondary scoring option that tends to perform in crucial moment. Portland is also slightly stronger on the wings with Covington, Jones Jr and Hood compared to Crowder, Bridges and Johnson (mainly because Covington is better than any of them, though I rate all of Suns three as well). Center is a wash with Nurkic v Ayton though depth is again on Portland's side. Those man-to-man comparisons are not really hugely indicative of what you should expect from a team, personnel wise Minnesota look like a very good team but no one would predict them to go above 40 wins. Pelicans looked great personnel wise last season and some of their key players even overperformed (Ingram) yet they were still crap.

Suns were 26-38 going into the bubble and while 8-0 was impressive, you cannot really consider that their benchmark. They’ve swapped Rubio and Oubre for Paul and Crowder. It is an improvement but I don’t think it will suddenly elevate them to 50 or so wins like everyone is expecting. With Portland you pretty much know what to expect, this was a 48-win team when everyone was healthy and it got a bit better and much deeper this year. Suns have to prove they can win more than half of their games before we can talk about them being Portland/Denver/Utah level. There have been many teams hyped up in recent year during preseason because of the moves they made that never actually backed it up during season. Let's wait to see this new look Phoenix in play.

Last edited:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Not really. They lost Seth Curry who was a solid bench option. Drafted Josh Green who (I think) is a decent defensive wing prospect. The plan for Dallas is to not use cap space and save it for next off-season to try and get Giannis.
They got Josh Richardson for Curry which looks like a good deal for both teams. I like Terry and Bey from the draft as well. They also lost Delon Wright for cap space (+James Johnson who may be a sneaky good pick up for them).

Šjor Bepo

Cheers boys, so another year of every average big man looking like prime shaq against them :(

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
They had a quiet but really good off season. They traded Seth Curry for Josh Richardson and a 2nd round pick. Richardson can't shoot like Curry but is superior in every other aspect. Most importantly, he is a great on-ball defender that will tussle with the best opposing guard/wing every night.
They gave up a fantastic shooter, but statistically the Mavs had the most efficient offense in league history last year. Their weak defense was what killed them, Seth Curry had to defend Kawhi on multiple possessions during the playoffs, that's just asking to get scored on. Sacrificing a little offense for a lot of defense will make them a better team, I have no doubt about that.
Also, the Mavs drafted Tyrell Terry at #31, who looks like a Seth Curry regen with better playmaking (potentially). I think Terry will turn out to be the best sleeper in the draft.
Josh Green also looks like a really good draft pick for Dallas. Exceptional athlete, strong defender, good attitude, can shoot. Bey is a bit of a gamble (as is any 2nd rounder, usually) but the Mavs hope he turns into a servicable 3&D-wing.
James Johnson, whom they acquired in a three team trade, will also bring some much needed toughness.

It doesn't look flashy, but the Mavs have improved their team in a very efficient manner. Now it all comes down to everyone staying healthy.
Most importantly, Dallas freed up enough Cap space to sign a max player after this season. All eyes on Giannis.

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

They had a quiet but really good off season. They traded Seth Curry for Josh Richardson and a 2nd round pick. Richardson can't shoot like Curry but is superior in every other aspect. Most importantly, he is a great on-ball defender that will tussle with the best opposing guard/wing every night.
They gave up a fantastic shooter, but statistically the Mavs had the most efficient offense in league history last year. Their weak defense was what killed them, Seth Curry had to defend Kawhi on multiple possessions during the playoffs, that's just asking to get scored on. Sacrificing a little offense for a lot of defense will make them a better team, I have no doubt about that.
Also, the Mavs drafted Tyrell Terry at #31, who looks like a Seth Curry regen with better playmaking (potentially). I think Terry will turn out to be the best sleeper in the draft.
Josh Green also looks like a really good draft pick for Dallas. Exceptional athlete, strong defender, good attitude, can shoot. Bey is a bit of a gamble (as is any 2nd rounder, usually) but the Mavs hope he turns into a servicable 3&D-wing.
James Johnson, whom they acquired in a three team trade, will also bring some much needed toughness.

It doesn't look flashy, but the Mavs have improved their team in a very efficient manner. Now it all comes down to everyone staying healthy.
Most importantly, Dallas freed up enough Cap space to sign a max player after this season. All eyes on Giannis.
Sounds good, cheers!

edcunited1878

Anthony will be a 15 mpg bench option at best, it doesn’t matter if he is useless or not because there are three players on the bench better than him in his best positions.

Lillard is obviously better than anyone Phoenix has, I agree CJ is below that level of Booker or Paul but he’s still a good secondary scoring option that tends to perform in crucial moment. Portland is also slightly stronger on the wings with Covington, Jones Jr and Hood compared to Crowder, Bridges and Johnson (mainly because Covington is better than any of them, though I rate all of Suns three as well). Center is a wash with Nurkic v Ayton though depth is again on Portland's side. Those man-to-man comparisons are not really hugely indicative of what you should expect from a team, personnel wise Minnesota look like a very good team but no one would predict them to go above 40 wins. Pelicans looked great personnel wise last season and some of their key players even overperformed (Ingram) yet they were still crap.

Suns were 26-38 going into the bubble and while 8-0 was impressive, you cannot really consider that their benchmark. They’ve swapped Rubio and Oubre for Paul and Crowder. It is an improvement but I don’t think it will suddenly elevate them to 50 or so wins like everyone is expecting. With Portland you pretty much know what to expect, this was a 48-win team when everyone was healthy and it got a bit better and much deeper this year. Suns have to prove they can win more than half of their games before we can talk about them being Portland/Denver/Utah level. There have been many teams hyped up in recent year during preseason because of the moves they made that never actually backed it up during season. Let's wait to see this new look Phoenix in play.
Totally agree on this. Stotts is a good coach and he knows his team really well, plus they are used to fighting it out in the West. The Suns need to prove everything before being given any benefit of the doubt. Booker is the scorer, but it's CP3s team now. They will go only as far as his body will allow them. CP3 will help in navigating the sudden 'expectations' and the need to compete every night to allow your team to have a chance at a lower playoff seed.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Clippers give Playoff P the 5 year max.

stepic

Seems like a huge overpay but I guess they had to given everything they gave up for him

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Giannis - Luka - Porzingis :drool: Also, a first European big 3 to attack the throne.

A bit of an issue with floor spacing at first sight, but that seems like an only issue in a potentially brilliant team.
Reckon they will have a very good chance to land him, all depending how this season goes of course as I don't think Giannis will sign that deal by December 21st. Bucks would absolutely need to reach the finals in that case imo.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Another win against the Clippers and this time 131-109 without LeBron, Davis, Schröder & Matthews is a nice way to the start the pre-season :)
You gotta give baby Buss some credit. The lakers have drafted really well in the later 1st/2nd round. Bryant/Kuzma/THT/Svi/etc.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
You gotta give baby Buss some credit. The lakers have drafted really well in the later 1st/2nd round. Bryant/Kuzma/THT/Svi/etc.
The scouting team was the bright spot during our drought in the last years.

2014: Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson + Jabari Brown
2015: D'Angelo Russell + Larry Nance Jr + Anthony Brown
2016: Brandon Ingram + Ivica Zubac + David Nwaba
2017: Lonzo Ball + Kyle Kuzma + Josh Hart + Thomas Bryant
2018: Moe Wagner + Isaac Bonga + Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk + Johnathan Williams
2019: Talen Horton-Tucker + Devontae Cacok

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The scouting team was the bright spot during our drought in the last years.

2014: Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson + Jabari Brown
2015: D'Angelo Russell + Larry Nance Jr + Anthony Brown
2016: Brandon Ingram + Ivica Zubac + David Nwaba
2017: Lonzo Ball + Kyle Kuzma + Josh Hart + Thomas Bryant
2018: Moe Wagner + Isaac Bonga + Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk + Johnathan Williams
2019: Talen Horton-Tucker + Devontae Cacok
This is why shit like throwing in a second rounder to trade bonga and Wagner always pissed me off. This group has proven they can find value there, for non guaranteed minimum contracts.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The Timberwolves are so bad, it's almost incredible.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The Timberwolves are so bad, it's almost incredible.
Not going to give KAT any grief, I can't even fathom what is going on in his head right now.

Now, as a Laker fan I can say "Welcome to the DeAngelo Russell Experience! Please check expectations and sanity at the door."

JPRouve

Scout
Not going to give KAT any grief, I can't even fathom what is going on in his head right now.

Now, as a Laker fan I can say "Welcome to the DeAngelo Russell Experience! Please check expectations and sanity at the door."
KAT is the least of my worries, the way I see it he needs as much support as possible from a human standpoint, the rest isn't that important. I'm a noob when it comes to basketball and I was baffled by the idea of trading for D-Lo, he doesn't fit the team and to me he looks like a 6th man, he is a gifted point getter but he doesn't organize an offense at a high level, he can't finish at the rim and he couldn't defend to save his life. But the issue is that the team seems to not be coached at all, it's a hot mess.

Yesterday I went to the ESPN trade machine to see if Russell+Okogie for Irving would work. 1st round picks to the Nets would have to be involved though. The Nets would probably laugh at the idea though.:lol:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
KAT is the least of my worries, the way I see it he needs as much support as possible from a human standpoint, the rest isn't that important. I'm a noob when it comes to basketball and I was baffled by the idea of trading for D-Lo, he doesn't fit the team and to me he looks like a 6th man, he is a gifted point getter but he doesn't organize an offense at a high level, he can't finish at the rim and he couldn't defend to save his life. But the issue is that the team seems to not be coached at all, it's a hot mess.

Yesterday I went to the ESPN trade machine to see if Russell+Okogie for Irving would work. 1st round picks to the Nets would have to be involved though. The Nets would probably laugh at the idea though.:lol:
Dude.....you don't want Kyrie, you literally do not want that crazy train.

Plus, not sure round 2 of the D-Lo/Nets marriage is something KD signed up for.

HTG

Supports
Bayern

If that trade happens, I want to be there, when Kyrie explains KAT why Corona is not real.

JPRouve

Scout
Dude.....you don't want Kyrie, you literally do not want that crazy train.

Plus, not sure round 2 of the D-Lo/Nets marriage is something KD signed up for.
If that trade happens, I want to be there, when Kyrie explains KAT why Corona is not real.
You are both totally right but we are not in sanity territory when it comes to the Wolves, they are that bad.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
You are both totally right but we are not in sanity territory when it comes to the Wolves, they are that bad.
I have a soft spot for the wolves. That 03-04 team scared the crap out of me as a Lakers fan. Thank god Cassell hurt his groin (allegedly while doing his stupid ball dance) against the Kings. I loved to hate KG and Wally World was a whole bunch of fun.

Zen

BIG kudos to him doing it. One title with the Bucks will mean a shedload more if they can pull it off.