NBA 2020-2021

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Will Saric get re-signed? I would prefer to try and go for Jerami Grant if I were the Suns though not sure if their cap space will be sufficient after Paul trade. Either way I reckon it may be Cam Johnson starting at 4.
Most likely Saric re-signs while we let Frank go and Baynes probably gets priced out because plenty of teams could use a player of his skillset according to Gambo who's the reporter with the best Suns insider news.

Grant would be a dream signing but I think he's staying with the Nuggets.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I can’t Believe it but...the Knicks actually had a very decent draft!

To be able to get Obi Toppin at #8 can only be seen as a good thing. Obi, Deni, or Halburton were my choices but considering Obi is a NY kid and I like what he can bring to the team. (Hopefully this means Randle can feck off)

Immanuel is a smart move as well so no complaints there.

Looks like we will be looking for a PG via trade or FA.

All in All you look at this Knicks team and you see a solid core of young players and a shit ton of cap space. Let’s see how they feck this up.

As for the Bulls they took a page out of NY playbook, they pick at #4 is beyond stupid especially with so much better value Available.

LaMelo going to the Hornets could be good for him, not in the spotlight and in no pressure to win. He is (IMO) the best player in the draft and the player with the biggest upside.

Edwards to Minnesota was a smart move by theas well and picking up Rubio as a back up PG was a great piece of business. They are putting together a decent team there.

Warriors picked the right guy, but dam do I feel bad for Klay. That Injury takes them out of title contention imo.

Avdija dropping to #9 is going to be the steal of the draft I reckon.

Oneyka to ATL was also a good pick.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I can’t Believe it but...the Knicks actually had a very decent draft!

To be able to get Obi Toppin at #8 can only be seen as a good thing. Obi, Deni, or Halburton were my choices but considering Obi is a NY kid and I like what he can bring to the team. (Hopefully this means Randle can feck off)

Immanuel is a smart move as well so no complaints there.

Looks like we will be looking for a PG via trade or FA.

All in All you look at this Knicks team and you see a solid core of young players and a shit ton of cap space. Let’s see how they feck this up.

As for the Bulls they took a page out of NY playbook, they pick at #4 is beyond stupid especially with so much better value Available.

LaMelo going to the Hornets could be good for him, not in the spotlight and in no pressure to win. He is (IMO) the best player in the draft and the player with the biggest upside.

Edwards to Minnesota was a smart move by theas well and picking up Rubio as a back up PG was a great piece of business. They are putting together a decent team there.

Warriors picked the right guy, but dam do I feel bad for Klay. That Injury takes them out of title contention imo.

Avdija dropping to #9 is going to be the steal of the draft I reckon.

Oneyka to ATL was also a good pick.
Agree with most of this, but for the bolded part I could not, and I can not stress this enough, disagree more.

SportingCP96

Supports
Agree with most of this, but for the bolded part I could not, and I can not stress this enough, disagree more.
I figured some would feel the same way as you which is why I made sure to put “IMO”.

I know people are hesitant because of his brother but the truth is he faced higher levels of competition then anyone else in this draft and he put in some great performances in the NBL. At 6’7 which considering he is still young can be most likely a 6’8 PG with his passing ability, IQ, and vision along with his ball handling and the eye test for me I just personally don’t see anyone better in this draft class. Edwards I find interesting but I am not sure about his commitment and hunger and I see a long term better player in Ball then him. Wiseman is the second player I like the most in this draft but once again we have not seen enough of him to know everything he can do (I do like him though)

Deni is the sleeper as I see I him with lots of upside if he is developed correctly, I will for sure be keeping an eye on his progress.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I figured some would feel the same way as you which is why I made sure to put “IMO”.

I know people are hesitant because of his brother but the truth is he faced higher levels of competition then anyone else in this draft and he put in some great performances in the NBL. At 6’7 which considering he is still young can be most likely a 6’8 PG with his passing ability, IQ, and vision along with his ball handling and the eye test for me I just personally don’t see anyone better in this draft class. Edwards I find interesting but I am not sure about his commitment and hunger and I see a long term better player in Ball then him. Wiseman is the second player I like the most in this draft but once again we have not seen enough of him to know everything he can do (I do like him though)

Deni is the sleeper as I see I him with lots of upside if he is developed correctly, I will for sure be keeping an eye on his progress.
I mentioned it in a previous post, but I acknowledge I am biased on LB for 2 reasons:

1) As a Laker fan I lived through the Lonzo/LaVar wars and am still traumatized.
2) I saw him play multiple games in high school and he was the most selfish player I have ever seen. Onyeka Okwongwu was also on that team and Ball completely marginalized him. Maybe he has changed since then, but that image, and his complete refusal to play defense (he would sometimes stay on the other side of the court) are still burned into my brain.

I wish him the best and genuinely hope you are right and I am wrong.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

:( :(
Wow. Did not think it was going to be that serious. With him being 31 in February and having lost two full season unfortunately I cannot see him going back to his best. Curry will be available this season but even with him Warriors will be borderline playoffs team in the West without Klay.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Dang, that has been the scuttlebutt for a while on his injury. I was hoping to see GSW back to their best again.

RORY65

That's a real shame for him, the Warriors and just the league as a whole, their run after KD got hurt in the play offs in 2019 was a reminder of how fun they were to watch before the KD deal made the league too predictable and we might never see that again now. It rules them out from having any chance of the title and means that instead they're just aiming to make the play offs, it will be interesting to see what moves they make because they won't want the situation they had at the start of last year where Curry had to have the ball all the time as the only shooter and so teams were just going after him as he's susceptible to injuries himself.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
As a Mav's fan, I'm really excited to see what Tyrell Terry can bring. He comes across as a very smart and mature young man that knows how to apply himself every day, he can shoot the lights out and he plays thinking basketball. On the other hand, he seems to be a Manchester City fan. I'll still take it.

SportingCP96

Supports
I mentioned it in a previous post, but I acknowledge I am biased on LB for 2 reasons:

1) As a Laker fan I lived through the Lonzo/LaVar wars and am still traumatized.
2) I saw him play multiple games in high school and he was the most selfish player I have ever seen. Onyeka Okwongwu was also on that team and Ball completely marginalized him. Maybe he has changed since then, but that image, and his complete refusal to play defense (he would sometimes stay on the other side of the court) are still burned into my brain.

I wish him the best and genuinely hope you are right and I am wrong.
Ya which is fine I understand everyone has there opinions.

What he did in the NBL is what really put me all in on him. I always saw talent in him but was not sure how he would mature and play at a high level.

When he went to the Hawks he did just that and I saw a decent amount of his games and he was must see TV. I think he can be as defensive as his brother but the talent is all there.

What makes this situation different then Lonzo are two things for me:

1.The fact he is in a smaller market with less pressure to win

2. Lavar has almost completely stayed away from LaMelo as opposed to what he did with Lonzo. He let JJ take the wheel and I think it payed dividends.

Only time will tell though.

stepic

Ya which is fine I understand everyone has there opinions.

What he did in the NBL is what really put me all in on him. I always saw talent in him but was not sure how he would mature and play at a high level.

When he went to the Hawks he did just that and I saw a decent amount of his games and he was must see TV. I think he can be as defensive as his brother but the talent is all there.

What makes this situation different then Lonzo are two things for me:

1.The fact he is in a smaller market with less pressure to win

2. Lavar has almost completely stayed away from LaMelo as opposed to what he did with Lonzo. He let JJ take the wheel and I think it payed dividends.

Only time will tell though.
The NBL isn’t a great league though. I remember the likes of Andrew Gaze and Shane Heal back in the day tear it up in the NBL and be barely bench warmers in the NBA. Haven’t watched the league in a long time, mind

Timdbro

Is this setting up for a potential sign-and-trade?
Either that or he’s straight up signing for Atlanta/NYK/other team with cap space that I don’t know about - no way he would opt out of that much without a guaranteed big contract, surely. And you’d think if he was just extending it would already be done.

SinNombre

Well I read it as the Warriors haven't given up on contending. They should have ammo for another free agent.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
The NBL isn’t a great league though. I remember the likes of Andrew Gaze and Shane Heal back in the day tear it up in the NBL and be barely bench warmers in the NBA. Haven’t watched the league in a long time, mind
He had 25% shooting rate in the NBL.

Sarni

Well I read it as the Warriors haven't given up on contending. They should have ammo for another free agent.
No. They can only sign players for taxpayers MLE which is about $5.7million and that will cost them $25million including taxes.

Funny to see NBA going after Bucks for tampering when all free agency conversations happen well before the date. Woj and Shams will report on the moves today 6:01 pm ET, does anyone honestly believe they will have all agreed those contracts in 60 seconds?

SinNombre

No. They can only sign players for taxpayers MLE which is about $5.7million and that will cost them $25million including taxes.

Funny to see NBA going after Bucks for tampering when all free agency conversations happen well before the date. Woj and Shams will report on the moves today 6:01 pm ET, does anyone honestly believe they will have all agreed those contracts in 60 seconds?
They will apply for a disabled player exception with Klay now injured for 2 years straight.

Golden State will now apply for the Disabled Player Exception worth $9.3M. The exception can be used to sign, trade for or claim a player to a one-year contract. The exception expires on April 17.

Sarni

They will apply for a disabled player exception with Klay now injured for 2 years straight.

Golden State will now apply for the Disabled Player Exception worth $9.3M. The exception can be used to sign, trade for or claim a player to a one-year contract. The exception expires on April 17.
$9.3million doesn’t really get you a star in free agency but it’s much better. Still it will cost them five times that including taxes so not sure if they are going to use it at all. Their cost is ridiculous as it is.

SinNombre

$9.3million doesn’t really get you a star in free agency but it’s much better. Still it will cost them five times that including taxes so not sure if they are going to use it at all. Their cost is ridiculous as it is.
I am reading that DPE if approved won’t cost them taxes.

Sarni

How the hell did Meyers Leonard just get another $10million per year contract, honestly? The only explanation I have is they want his salary to balance a trade.

EDIT: it’s a one year deal with second year as team option. So probably literally to be a bench option and perhaps salary in a trade. They are preparing for 2021 free agency and probably didn’t think there was anyone worth getting now.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
It's ridiculous how complicated the NBA salary cap is, so many loopholes to break it which kind of defeats the purpose of a cap

Sarni

Some free agency comments:

• LOVING that Blazers move with Jones Jr. With him and Covington our defense gets sooo much better
  • Wood to Houston is a big surprise but perfect fit for Harden and Westbrook. I don’t really get what they are trying to do because trading RoCo indicated desire to go into rebuild
  • Gallinari to Hawks probably means Hayward to the Knicks as there’s not enough cap space left for Atlanta.. except for sign and trade with Celtics
  • Adams is a very weird fit with Pelicans, always thought Zion requires someone who can space the floor next to him

Sarni

Pistons moves are so weird. Signing Plumlee to a relatively big deal and then getting Okafor when you have just traded for Dedmon and got Stewart in the draft? Wood may have not wanted to resign but come on. And then getting Grant for a $20million per year... their roster makes no sense now. Blake Griffin is also still there and won’t really be easy to trade with that contract. Just as it looked like they may be kicking off a nice rebuild with Hayes, Stewart and Bey all looking like very promising picks they make moves that are neither here nor there in terms of setting their future direction as either a rebuilding team or a borderline playoffs contender.

Sarni

With Adams trade I have officially lost track of who is in Thunder roster and which picks they own (which seems like all the picks that exist).

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Shock of the Free Agency

I never expected them to go for him. I wonder what the Celtics will get in return. Maybe a Rozier return and possibly Miles Bridges?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Shock of the Free Agency

I never expected them to go for him. I wonder what the Celtics will get in return. Maybe a Rozier return and possibly Miles Bridges?
I would imagine nothing as it is a straight FA signing.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Crowder to the Suns!

What a turnaround James Jones and Monty has done to the team, players actually want to join us now.