NBA 2020-2021

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Shock of the Free Agency

I never expected them to go for him. I wonder what the Celtics will get in return. Maybe a Rozier return and possibly Miles Bridges?
Celtics gets nothing. Hayward opted out and is a free agent.

And MJ finally found yet another white guy to overpay this year.

ZDwyr

Really surprised the Clippers haven't signed a PG. I thought a primary ball-handler/creator was something they really needed. I'd have the Lakers as comfortable favourites at this point.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Really surprised the Clippers haven't signed a PG. I thought a primary ball-handler/creator was something they really needed. I'd have the Lakers as comfortable favourites at this point.
There are none available in free agency and they hardly have any ammunition to go for big trades. All their picks are tied to Thunder. They have to either watch out for buyout candidates in the Summer or try to get someone for mid level exception. I thought maybe they would have been interested in Rondo but he’s gone to Atlanta.

Ibaka is a good acquisition for them though and an upgrade over Harrell. He should be starting at center.

Zen

It's gonna be Rose isn't it? Kawhi, Rose, and Leonard.....they'll probably never dress as a full unit!

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Ibaka is a good acquisition for them though and an upgrade over Harrell. He should be starting at center.
Ibaka's declines been quiet. Harrell averaged 18 points off the bench right. Ibaka won't have that scoring punch, but will had size and stretch the floor a bit better. Clippers needed some size.

But more than anything they need and want a PG. I'd almost be tempted to trade PG for a PG.

Sarni

Ibaka's declines been quiet. Harrell averaged 18 points off the bench right. Ibaka won't have that scoring punch, but will had size and stretch the floor a bit better. Clippers needed some size.

But more than anything they need and want a PG. I'd almost be tempted to trade PG for a PG.
Who though? If you are trading Paul George who you just traded your entire franchise for a year earlier you better be getting elite player in return. Nobody is going to offer that for an expiring player who sucked in the last games he played and besides that there doesn’t really seem to be a top quality point guard available out there.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Who though? If you are trading Paul George who you just traded your entire franchise for a year earlier you better be getting elite player in return. Nobody is going to offer that for an expiring player who sucked in the last games he played and besides that there doesn’t really seem to be a top quality point guard available out there.
Fair point. But it's something I'd explore if I was a Clipper. Paul and Rondo would've been desirable. That dawg who got the next 5 years, Pat Bev. Have to teach that old dog a new trick I guess :drool:

Sarni

Fair point. But it's something I'd explore if I was a Clipper. Paul and Rondo would've been desirable. That dawg who got the next 5 years, Pat Bev. Have to teach that old dog a new trick I guess :drool:
Paul wouldn’t have been possible without including George as they don’t have salaries to match. Obviously George for Paul would have been gross overpay so that would have needed third team. Quite complicated.

Rondo would have been a decent choice. I think Bledsoe would fit them well, less pressure to perform in crucial moments because they have other players who can do that. Maybe George Hill as a 20 mpg option...It kind of is pretty empty. They aren’t getting Lillard or Curry of course, Westbrook and Wall aren’t great and have disastrous contracts, then all the other point guards are in the upcoming generation - Ja, Trae, Luka, Fox... obviously none of them gettable. Maybe someone like Patty Mills could work short term. Even Austin Rivers or Elfrid Payton as a bench option.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Spida secured his bag.

Marc Gasol to the Lakers rumours are also picking up stream. Would like that - Davis, Harrell and Gasol is as good a set of bigs as any in the league.

ZDwyr

Schroder is another they could/should have considered.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

A team option in the 2nd year means that can make enough space for Giannis. No matter how much money we'd have offered Ibaka, he'd have wanted that 2nd year guaranteed.

If Masai and his team are very confident on getting Giannis, then there may be something in there. If not, then I hope that they have a decent backup plan.

entropy

How are folks feeling about the season starting so soon? I feel like it is insane to expect players to remain fit with such a short break. I am excited to see the blazers back but it is impossible for any of them to stay healthy with such a short turnaround time.

RORY65

As of now what are your 8 playoff teams in the west?
Lakers
Nuggets
Clippers
Mavericks
Suns
Rockets (they may well drop out)
Jazz
1 (or 2 depending on the Rockets) of the Blazers, Grizzlies and Warriors

ZDwyr

Adams has a very good agent. That's a significant over-pay in my view.

elmo

Salary dump?

For those of you who watched him more often than I have, how good is he as a backup C?
He's good as long as he plays less than 10 mins and you don't expect him to do anything on offense other than put backs.

Dude has slippery hands and can fumble any passes when he was on the Sun's.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
He's good as long as he plays less than 10 mins and you don't expect him to do anything on offense other than put backs.

Dude has slippery hands and can fumble any passes when he was on the Sun's.
That's what I thought. Apparently, he got better with the Hawks, and he can still develop, but from what I've seen of him, he's a menace in the paint due to his size. His rebounding is his strength. Beyond that...meh.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
So AD is waiting to see what Giannis does before he re-signs, the implication being if Giannis doesn't sign the supermax he'd accept to take less money to give us a shot at him next year...

I don't if i should believe this, but still, :drool: :drool: :drool:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
So AD is waiting to see what Giannis does before he re-signs, the implication being if Giannis doesn't sign the supermax he'd accept to take less money to give us a shot at him next year...

I don't if i should believe this, but still, :drool: :drool: :drool:
Deadline for that to happen this offseason is Dec 21st though and even then he might wait until after next season to sign his extension. Can AD train with us before the new season if he hasn't signed his own deal yet?

Sarni

Lakers
Clippers
Suns
Dallas
Rockets
Jazz
Nuggets
No Blazers? Really?

I think Portland are comfortably the most improved team compared to last season, at least on paper. We've gone from having Hezonja, Tolliver and Whiteside playing with Dame and CJ, to having Hood, Covington and healthy Nurkic out there. Our bench has gone from having to play rookie Little and Weynen Gabriel to having choice of Trent (who has developed so much over last year), Melo, Derrick Jones Jr, as well as having Collins, Giles and Kanter as our center options. It's probably the deepest roster in the West right now.

Barring injuries Blazers should be a lock for the playoffs. Definitely a stronger roster than Rockets, Jazz or Suns.

ZDwyr

Yeah I'm high on Portland atm. I'd have them a long way ahead of Utah and Houston.

Sarni

Yeah I'm high on Portland atm. I'd have them a long way ahead of Utah and Houston.
Lillard / Simons
McCollum / Trent
Hood / Jones Jr
Covington / Anthony
Nurkic / Kanter

+ Collins, Giles

That depth chart is honestly amazing. Stotts is going to have hard time figuring out correct roster. You can go for a lockdown defense on wings with Jones Jr and Covington too, as there's enough shooting from Dame and CJ to compensate for Jones' lack of shooting. Backup point guard is a bit of a concern but you can have CJ handle the ball on the second unit too.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Woj claims Harden and Westbrook will be at training camp. Finding a trade partner for Westbrook is proving to be tricky. Running it back with with both stars, adding Boogie and Christian Wood and with Silas calling the shots would be a satisfactory outcome for me.

elmo

Booker just went from being one of the best 3 point shooter on the team to being one of the worst statistically.

I love the turnaround James Jones has done with our squad since he took over.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
So this came as a surprise to me.

The 2nd year is not an option, which explains why we didn't sign him on. However, if he was signing such a low-money contract with the Lakers, how come we couldn't have worked out something like this with him? Were we trying to respect his wish to return to Barcelona?

Additionally, did we decide to move on from him in favour or younger, more athletic bigs? That might have been the case here.