NBA 2020-2021

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
If you want a particularly ridiculou stat. As a rookie Steph Curry averaged 4.8 three points attempts per game, Anthony Edwards averages 7.2 three points attempts per game. Curry and analytics changed basketball drastically in the last decade.
If there's one thing to bitch about it's Curry making shots that no one else on earth (apart from maybe Lillard and Klay) has the right to make, and persuading scrubs that, "Hey, maybe I can also pull up from the logo!"... Um, no you can't

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
If there's one thing to bitch about it's Curry making shots that no one else on earth (apart from maybe Lillard and Klay) has the right to make, and persuading scrubs that, "Hey, maybe I can also pull up from the logo!"... Um, no you can't
And the mouth guard is pretty gross.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's the shimmys :lol:

But he's a very down to earth guy. Look at how he accommodated KD in GS. Have not heard a teammate (or even opponent) say a bad word about him.
To go with that take.

JPRouve

Scout
To be clear, I wasn't bitching just pointing at statistical evolution. Steph Curry was a great shooter from day one, yet he took less deep shots than a rookie that needs to work on that particular craft.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
If you want a particularly ridiculou stat. As a rookie Steph Curry averaged 4.8 three points attempts per game, Anthony Edwards averages 7.2 three points attempts per game. Curry and analytics changed basketball drastically in the last decade.
Why I was so surprised though was that even Curry is less than 60% three point attempts vs 2s (58/42). Duncan Robinson is 85/15. That's just ridiculous.

JPRouve

Scout
Why I was so surprised though was that even Curry is less than 60% three point attempts vs 2s (58/42). Duncan Robinson is 85/15. That's just ridiculous.
Keep in mind that Curry isn't a spot up shooter or catch and shooter, he can create his own shots, is one of the best driver in the league and has a great jump shot. Robinson is a three and D, if he takes 2s, you slap him.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Keep in mind that Curry isn't a spot up shooter or catch and shooter, he can create his own shots, is one of the best driver in the league and has a great jump shot. Robinson is a three and D, if he takes 2s, you slap him.
Kyle Korver is a spot up shooter and is at 61/39 3s v 2s for his career. 85/15 is just outrageous.

As an aside as to why Steph gets a lot of hate, a lot of it is media driven. Your newer media (Lebron fanbois) dislike him for daring to challenge their King (Dave McMenamin). Its similar to Skip hating on Lebron for daring to challenge his hero Jordan.

The older media members dislike him because as far as they're concerned he's ruined the game of basketball (Bob Ryan). He's certainly changed it. Until I saw Duncan Robinson's shooting profile I didn't realize how much.

Last edited:

adexkola

Supports
To be clear, I wasn't bitching just pointing at statistical evolution. Steph Curry was a great shooter from day one, yet he took less deep shots than a rookie that needs to work on that particular craft.
Oh no I wasn't insinuating that at all, just something that came to mind after watching some games this season.

It is crazy how the game has evolved. Some (not me) would say for the worse.

JPRouve

Scout
Kyle Korver is a spot up shooter and is at 61/39 3s v 2s for his career. 85/15 is just outrageous.

As an aside as to why Steph gets a lot of hate, a lot of it is media driven. Your newer media (Lebron fanbois) dislike him for daring to challenge their King (Dave McMenamin). Its similar to Skip hating on Lebron for daring to challenge his hero Jordan.

The older media members dislike him because as far as they're concerned he's ruined the game of basketball (Bob Ryan). He's certainly changed it. Until I saw Duncan Robinson's shooting profile I didn't realize how much.
It's not though, look at the 16-3P stats. Korver is at .233 while Robinson is at .016, they are the same type of shooter in a different era, nowadays coaches wil tell you to not take those long twos. Then look at Korver's splits last season 80% of his shots were 3 pointers and he reduced is long twos.

adexkola

Supports
What goes under the radar is that he's not bad at all from midrange, and is one of the league's best finishers at the rim.

JPRouve

Scout
What goes under the radar is that he's not bad at all from midrange, and is one of the league's best finishers at the rim.
That's an understatement, he is one of the best in the league at all levels. The way the Warriors play simply doesn't require him to do it as often as other superstars.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
It's not though, look at the 16-3P stats. Korver is at .233 while Robinson is at .016, they are the same type of shooter in a different era, nowadays coaches wil tell you to not take those long twos. Then look at Korver's splits last season 80% of his shots were 3 pointers and he reduced is long twos.
That's my point though. Steph has completely changed the game. As you point out Robinson and Korver are the same type of shooter in a different era. As I said I was just shocked to see how far we've come into this new era.

JPRouve

Scout
That's my point though. Steph has completely changed the game. As you point out Robinson and Korver are the same type of shooter in a different era. As I said I was just shocked to see how far we've come into this new era.
I see. The issue is that you are comparing two things that are not really comparable. Korver vs Robinson is an appropriate comparison and the difference isn't due to Curry but relatively basic analytics, long twos are marginally tougher than "short" threes, so analytics advised to get rid of the long twos since they are less rewarding in volume.
Now when it comes to Curry he changed the game for ball handling guards, in the sense that the prototype is someone that can finish at the rim and shoot threes, the midrange is eliminated for his position group. For the likes of Robinson/Korver the reference and game changer is probably Reggie Miller?

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
I see. The issue is that you are comparing two things that are not really comparable. Korver vs Robinson is an appropriate comparison and the difference isn't due to Curry but relatively basic analytics, long twos are marginally tougher than "short" threes, so analytics advised to get rid of the long twos since they are less rewarding in volume.
Now when it comes to Curry he changed the game for ball handling guards, in the sense that the prototype is someone that can finish at the rim and shoot threes, the midrange is eliminated for his position group. For the likes of Robinson/Korver the reference and game changer is probably Reggie Miller?
The issue is that Curry changed the game in terms of taking more threes. I didn't realize how much. No more, no less. Simple really.

JPRouve

Scout
The issue is that Curry changed the game in terms of taking more threes. I didn't realize how much. No more, no less. Simple really.
But that's not an accurate statement. Two things have happened roughly at the same time, one of them actually influenced Curry's game which is the popularization of analytics. To put it solely on Curry is simply wrong, the one thing that is definitely true regarding more threes are the very long range, unassisted threes but those aren't the type of threes that Korver or Robinson take, furthermore the season where Korver attempted the most threes was in 2004-2005.
Also if I'm not mistaken the reference for those analytics was Morey and Houston's G-League team coached by Finch and then Nurse.

Here you have a grantland article about it, if you look at the increase in 3 points shooting it happened around 2012.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
But that's not an accurate statement. Two things have happened roughly at the same time, one of them actually influenced Curry's game which is the popularization of analytics. To put it solely on Curry is simply wrong, the one thing that is definitely true regarding more threes are the very long range, unassisted threes but those aren't the type of threes that Korver or Robinson take, furthermore the season where Korver attempted the most threes was in 2004-2005.
Also if I'm not mistaken the reference for those analytics was Morey and Houston's G-League team coached by Finch and then Nurse.

Here you have a grantland article about it, if you look at the increase in 3 points shooting it happened around 2012.
The general consensus is that Curry is the reason why more threes are being taken. Whether that statement is accurate or not is up for debate. I happen to think he's the poster child for the direction the sport has gone in but whether he's totally responsible is another matter. I happen to agree with you on this and would give him some credit but analytics have certainly been a big part as well. My point, however, was that the three point shot has taken over basketball much more than I realized. This is a personal point of view and not related to Curry, analytics or anything else. I was actually shocked to find there was a player out there shooting 6 threes for every 2 that he took. The irony of it all though is that the reason for shooting 3s v 2s is obviously the 3 is worth 1.5 times more than the 2. However, in Duncan Robinson's case he's shooting 3s at a 40.8% clip but 2s at 62.6%. So he's actually more efficient sticking to the 2 point shot.

JPRouve

Scout
The general consensus is that Curry is the reason why more threes are being taken. Whether that statement is accurate or not is up for debate. I happen to think he's the poster child for the direction the sport has gone in but whether he's totally responsible is another matter. I happen to agree with you on this and would give him some credit but analytics have certainly been a big part as well. My point, however, was that the three point shot has taken over basketball much more than I realized. This is a personal point of view and not related to Curry, analytics or anything else. I was actually shocked to find there was a player out there shooting 6 threes for every 2 that he took. The irony of it all though is that the reason for shooting 3s v 2s is obviously the 3 is worth 1.5 times more than the 2. However, in Duncan Robinson's case he's shooting 3s at a 40.8% clip but 2s at 62.6%. So he's actually more efficient sticking to the 2 point shot.
Yeah, I realized it through Edwards, due to injuries he has become a high usage player very quickly which came with a tone of surprising stats, there is a chart somewhere about 3pts made in a month by a rookie, iirc Edwards and Shamet are at the top.

Speaking about Edwards his evolution is staggering.

Charlie Foley

We have thrown away so many games this season it felt like it was another one was coming, but great that we managed to pull out a win after going behind.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Supporting the Dubs is just like supporting United. They do everything they can to make it difficult for themselves or in layman's terms "feck it up." Sixteen point lead with 6 1/2 to go, you think it's in the bag. But no, the Jazz go on a 21-4 run and the next thing you know we're down by 1 with under 2 minutes to go. At that point the teams trade baskets (and even that was 3 for 2) and with 15 seconds to go we're down by 2. Steph who has scored a bunch of points but has not been able to hit water from a boat from three all night finally hits 1 and lo and behold we're up by 1. Jazz miss, Steph hits 2 free throws and that's it. Phew!!!!!

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Give me steph over that mental midget any day of the week, probably most underrated modern player.

Dont follow the standings but hope they get the playoff spot.

Moby

Dick
At the Warriors peak, people were hating on him for being arrogant because of how far he shot, nevermind the fact that he makes them better than most people shoot normal 3s.

Shit, people hate on how he chews his mouthguard as well for some weird reason.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Unless something crazy happens in the next couple of games we will have the last game of the season between Memphis & Dubs as an early play in game with the loser finishing 9th. So so annoying that it came to this considering how many games this team has basically thrown with absolutely brainless basketball. Will never forget that Wizards game where they fouled Beal shooting a 3 while being up 3 and then missing a layup.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Bazemore is an idiot in general but he really just made a joke and not sure why it was taken so seriously

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
(For my sins) I was watching Colin Cowherd today and he said something which I thought was quite insightful (unusual for Cowherd, but I digress). He said that there were a lot of people who thought it was ridiculous when Kobe went for 60 in his last game by taking 50 shots. He , on the other hand, thought it was very appropriate because that's who Kobe was. He would put up tremendous numbers often by monopolizing usage, sometimes for the good of the team, sometimes not. It was a great way for him to end his career because it just typified the man - a tremendous scorer who for all his greatness and for all his flaws was just out and out fun to watch.

Moving on to more recent goings on in the NBA, he mentioned Russell Westbrook and his record breaking performance last night. Russ, he said, is a tremendous athlete, one of the best who has ever played basketball. He appears to be a great teammate, and day after day he leaves everything out there on the court BUT he said, he makes the dumbest of decisions. Last night typified everything Russ is. Down by 1, five seconds to go, Russ, after being brilliant for the entire game, driving towards the basket to try and make a layup or get fouled to win SUDDENLY STOPS, PULLS UP, AND ATTEMPTS A THREE. No, no, no, no, Russ, no, what are you thinking. A career 31% three point shooter pulls up for a three with time expiring - and of course he missed.

There you have it, Russ in a nutshell the fantastic and the flawed. I've already commented once this week how much I love watching the Wizards. It's all about Russ. Love him or hate him, you can't ignore him. Its athletes like him (and Kobe) that make people like me love sports.

Last edited:

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Get Up! had a segment on that Westbrook shot as well, or may have just been about how good he is. Westbrook will constantly remind you how good he is if anyone wants to know, even if they don't ask.

Charlie Foley

Another huge win for the dubs. Didn’t expect anything from this game, a split from a brutal back to back schedule would have been good, and with Steph looking exhausted it didn’t look good. Steph 4/24 from 3 in the last 2 games against the teams with the 2 best records and we win both. Wiggins incredible, another good game from Poole and JTA brilliant D again. Another triple double for Draymond. Let’s go!

ZDwyr

dont want threats via DMs so cant say:wenger:
Well I doubt you mean LeBron. He can be described as a lot of things but I'm not sure 'mental midget' is even close to accurate.

Get Up! had a segment on that Westbrook shot as well, or may have just been about how good he is. Westbrook will constantly remind you how good he is if anyone wants to know, even if they don't ask.
Except he doesn't. At least not anymore than most other star players in the league. He brings the teammate thing up because it's become a narrative that he is a bad teammate, despite that being obviously false.

EDIT: Good win for the Warriors, too. The Suns have looked a little shaky lately. Hopefully they get their groove back because I'm on the Suns bandwagon for the playoffs.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Another huge win for the dubs. Didn’t expect anything from this game, a split from a brutal back to back schedule would have been good, and with Steph looking exhausted it didn’t look good. Steph 4/24 from 3 in the last 2 games against the teams with the 2 best records and we win both. Wiggins incredible, another good game from Poole and JTA brilliant D again. Another triple double for Draymond. Let’s go!
Steph was just trying to get his teammates more involved ready for the playoffs. ;)

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Except he doesn't. At least not anymore than most other star players in the league. He brings the teammate thing up because it's become a narrative that he is a bad teammate, despite that being obviously false.
I've never got the impression from anybody that Russ was a bad teammate except KD and I would take everything he said with a grain of salt. My problem with Russ is his awful decision making which is the kiss of death for a PG. I've often thought if he could have been fitted with some sort of electrical device when he was younger and zapped every time he took a three to get him out of the habit he would be an all time great.:)

Charlie Foley

Well I doubt you mean LeBron. He can be described as a lot of things but I'm not sure 'mental midget' is even close to accurate.

EDIT: Good win for the Warriors, too. The Suns have looked a little shaky lately. Hopefully they get their groove back because I'm on the Suns bandwagon for the playoffs.
I wouldn’t describe LeBron has that either. I find him remarkably sensitive, laughably so at times, but he’s a winner.
Absolutely buzzing with that win. Suns have been a bad match up for us this season and after playing last night and basically a 7 man rotation I did not expect to win that. Brilliant!

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
I wouldn’t describe LeBron has that either. I find him remarkably sensitive, laughably so at times, but he’s a winner.
Absolutely buzzing with that win. Suns have been a bad match up for us this season and after playing last night and basically a 7 man rotation I did not expect to win that. Brilliant!
We've got three days to recover now. Grizzlies got to play 3 games in 4 nights.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Just had a look at the schedules. The Mavs have it pretty easy and I can see them win out but Portland still play Utah, Phoenix and Denver, that's as tough as a closing stretch gets. Hopefully we can sneak in at #6 (and immediately kick the Clippers out of the playoffs).

Seems like we don't have the tiebreaker against any of them though. Urgh, really don't wanna play Curry in the play-ins.