NBA 2022-2023

sport2793

I put some bad juju on the Nets and I will do the same with the Suns.:cool:
Ya but considering the terrible luck the Suns have had throughout franchise history, you would have to be cold hearted to do that. It's not like it's a team that's in a big market or a team flush with championships that just wants to farm more of them. Plus the Suns may have the worst owner in all of sports whom every fan seems to want to get rid of. Heck, I'm surprised that in and of itself hasn't sunk these potential deals.

Charlie Foley

....and here's me thinking KD wanted to build something from the ground up rather than join another 60 win team.
Give him credit brother, he’s moving in the right direction. It would be a 60 win team this time right than 70 :)

ZDwyr

@elmo also forgot that the lineup would likely include Bridges and Cam Johnson too, who both have shot near or past 40% from 3 in the past couple of seasons. So CP3 would just have to direct the show and then find some vet PG to take minutes off him so he rests more. Thr 4th quarter scoring would fall on KD and Booker primarily but I reckon Bridges will take the next step and be a consistent 3 level scorer too.
If I'm Brooklyn I don't even consider trading KD to Phoenix unless Bridges is included in the deal. I'd ask for Johnson as well but would probably negotiate that into being an extra pick if the Suns were determined to keep him.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
@elmo also forgot that the lineup would likely include Bridges and Cam Johnson too, who both have shot near or past 40% from 3 in the past couple of seasons. So CP3 would just have to direct the show and then find some vet PG to take minutes off him so he rests more. Thr 4th quarter scoring would fall on KD and Booker primarily but I reckon Bridges will take the next step and be a consistent 3 level scorer too.
At least one of Bridges / Cam would be needed in the trade for KD

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
The difference is that the Suns have never won a title and so from a KD perspective, he could go down as a player who pushed a franchise finally over the top. For what it's worth I thought he should have just stayed in the Bay Area and ignored the critics, would have meant many more titles for KD.

On another note, it turns out that if Kyrie stays in BKN (which means KD would stay) then LeBron would then become interested in going to PHX as LA would become somewhat of a dead end for pursuing another chance at a title. So for the Suns they will either keep things as is, resign Ayton on a 4 year max and run it back or trade Ayton to Detroit in a 3 team deal that can send expiring contracts (Suns have two attractive ones in Crowder and Saric), picks and a player like Jayden Ivey or another young player not named Cade Cunningham to either BKN or LAL in return for KD or LeBron to PHX.
He'll be back at the Cavs for a third stint through free agency.

sport2793

If I'm Brooklyn I don't even consider trading KD to Phoenix unless Bridges is included in the deal. I'd ask for Johnson as well but would probably negotiate that into being an extra pick if the Suns were determined to keep him.
Ya but players have more leverage these days than teams, it depends on how badly BKN want to go to war with KD but the Suns would rather keep Bridges than Ayton, maybe Johnson gets included if another player is required. It's not required from a salary perspective though.

Last edited:

sport2793

He'll be back at the Cavs for a third stint through free agency.
I'm also citing Flex, he's heard that LeBron wants PHX if he can't get Kyrie, 35 min flight from PHX to LA with a private jet so he can keep his family in the LA area (CP3 already does this) while being on a more competitive team.

SinNombre

Ya but players have more leverage these days than teams, it depends on how badly BKN want to go to war with KD but the Suns would rather keep Bridges than Ayton, maybe Johnson gets included if another player is required. It's not required from a salary perspective though.
KD has no leverage. He just signed a 4-year deal last year.

As I said before this flex guy came out with this story, KD to Suns is the most realistic option but it would include Ayton and one of Bridges or Cam Johnson and multiple 1st's.

edit : also this flex guy seems to be like one of the football ITKs, some source in the entourage but throw a lot of shit and hope some sticks

Last edited:

sport2793

KD has no leverage. He just signed a 4-year deal last year.

As I said before this flex guy came out with this story, KD to Suns is the most realistic option but it would include Ayton and one of Bridges or Cam Johnson and multiple 1st's.

edit : also this flex guy seems to be like one of the football ITKs, some source in the entourage but throw a lot of shit and hope some sticks
Actually most of that stuff was spot on so that increases his credibility in my eyes.

With regards to KD and leverage, we have seen superstars on multi-year deals force themselves out of a team so it's not unprecedented. It would require assets from a 3rd team though if the Suns wanted to keep both Bridges and Johnson.

sport2793

Also I would never compare NBA ITKs to football ITKs, the latter are almost always wrong but the former gets it right more often than not. The NBA is a lot more regulated so info that leaks out can be easily vetted.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Nets will just keep Durant around if they cannot get a huge offer, and I am talking about a historic haul. We are talking about one of the best players in the league with 4 years left on his deal.

Houston should be watching this with interest. They own Nets 2024 and 2026 picks as well as swaps in 2025 and 2027 thanks to the Harden deal. They should have kept Allen and maybe even LeVert at the time but that transactions is looking better by the day.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Free agency starts 6pm Thursday and the Dubs have 9 free agents on their current roster plus a couple of players eligible for extensions.

I would hope they can work out a deal with Jordan Poole as far as his extension is concerned (before the new season starts) and possibly something with Wiggs although putting that off till the end of next season is also a reasonable option.

As to the free agents, if they can bring back GP2, Loon, and Otto Porter I would be thrilled, everybody else would be nice but not essential (expect Iggy to retire and possibly become a coach). To me, GP2 should be the highest priority closely followed by Loon but I think a Javale McGee type could be brought in for him if he just becomes too expensive. In all honesty I expect Porter to be gone but there's always hope for him to be back too.

Roll on Thursday!

Charlie Foley

Draymond really sticking the boot in on Skip, Perkins, Nick Wrong. You love to see it.

RORY65

I like how he keeps referring to what he's doing as the "new media" (what does that even mean?) and then stirs up a load of tedious arguments against other people which feels very much like the "old media". His media stuff feels like what he is on the court, really good but very hard to like because of the unnecessary bullshit that he also brings to it which adds no value.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Draymond really sticking the boot in on Skip, Perkins, Nick Wrong. You love to see it.
I don't mind Wright. You might not agree with him but he does seem to at least give his honest opinion. It's the Skip Bayless's of this world that irritate me the most. He just regurgitates the same old stuff and no matter what happens on any given day or in any given game you just get the same old tired spew. He's basically the Howard Stern of sports talk. The people who like him listen because they like him but even more people listen because they want to hear his latest moronic take (especially if one of the people he pretends not to like has a good game) and how he's going to defend it.

Perkins is just an oaf.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
I like Perk. whats his beef with Perk?
He's a complete moron. Stephen A and, god help me, Skip Bayless at least have some sort of personality and twisted charisma. Perk is just an idiot.

Stacks

He's a complete moron. Stephen A and, god help me, Skip Bayless at least have some sort of personality and twisted charisma. Perk is just an idiot.
Perk is the same as he has always been and is himself. Stephen A and Skip are actors. Perk is just a big country boy who keeps it a hundred. He also won championship and has been at the highest level

Sarni

Free agency starts 6pm Thursday and the Dubs have 9 free agents on their current roster plus a couple of players eligible for extensions.

I would hope they can work out a deal with Jordan Poole as far as his extension is concerned (before the new season starts) and possibly something with Wiggs although putting that off till the end of next season is also a reasonable option.

As to the free agents, if they can bring back GP2, Loon, and Otto Porter I would be thrilled, everybody else would be nice but not essential (expect Iggy to retire and possibly become a coach). To me, GP2 should be the highest priority closely followed by Loon but I think a Javale McGee type could be brought in for him if he just becomes too expensive. In all honesty I expect Porter to be gone but there's always hope for him to be back too.

Roll on Thursday!
The team is going to cost like $400million including luxury tax, right? I cannot imagine Payton or Looney making less than $10million and Porter making less than $6million which will bring their payroll to $200million + they will still have to fill 3 roster spots, excluding luxury tax.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Perk is the same as he has always been and is himself. Stephen A and Skip are actors. Perk is just a big country boy who keeps it a hundred. He also won championship and has been at the highest level
He's also a charisma black hole and, as I said, complete idiot.
Stephen A and Skip are trolls and talking heads that spout nothing but designed hot takes to generate controversy and clicks, but at least they do it with gusto and some sort of eloquence. Perk tries to do the same but he offers absolutely nothing, not even in terms of entertainment. He's stealing a living at ESPN even more than the other garbage spewers.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I like how he keeps referring to what he's doing as the "new media" (what does that even mean?) and then stirs up a load of tedious arguments against other people which feels very much like the "old media". His media stuff feels like what he is on the court, really good but very hard to like because of the unnecessary bullshit that he also brings to it which adds no value.
I did find it a bit hypocritical that he talks about the new media and that "over here we don't tear people down, we critique but also uplift'" right after he called Perk an idiot and a moron :lol:

RORY65

The team is going to cost like $400million including luxury tax, right? I cannot imagine Payton or Looney making less than $10million and Porter making less than $6million which will bring their payroll to $200million + they will still have to fill 3 roster spots, excluding luxury tax.
They spent $80 million on Kelly Oubre, including the tax costs, and that arena is printing money so I'm sure they will spend as much as they can to keep that roster together. There aren't many teams with cap space and I doubt the teams that do will spend it on Payton, who is 29, or Looney so if they can get them back for $10 million each then I would imagine they will. Porter I could see getting an offer that they wouldn't be able to match, he was generally very good for them off the bench and would be a useful role player for any contending team.

Charlie Foley

I like Perk. whats his beef with Perk?
He actually gives some of the same credit that you do to Perkins. In a way. He says Perkins actually “did it” (although Draymond isn’t exactly complimentary of how good Perkins is) and shouldn’t need to resort to the talking head status of the others he trashes. Which I guess makes it even worse because that’s what he does do. :lol: Skip has nothing else to work with, Perkins does or at least SHOULD, so the fact that he’s operating in the same way is sad.

As for liking Perkins, we’ll just have to disagree here. The man is an oaf and a fool, and clearly with the last few years with the Warriors thought he was getting a chance to trash them without any real substance, . Saying “he is who he is” (a) I’m not sure about that, a lot of these ‘pundits’ or commentators are extremely performative, and (b) it doesn’t say much if “who he is” for real is a gobshite.

I did find it a bit hypocritical that he talks about the new media and that "over here we don't tear people down, we critique but also uplift'" right after he called Perk an idiot and a moron :lol:
Agree with that. Also see the Rodney McGruder thing: even then he could have, and did somewhat, made the fair point that so many people in the league act tough. But he and Klay kind of shit on him.

I don't mind Wright. You might not agree with him but he does seem to at least give his honest opinion. It's the Skip Bayless's of this world that irritate me the most. He just regurgitates the same old stuff and no matter what happens on any given day or in any given game you just get the same old tired spew. He's basically the Howard Stern of sports talk. The people who like him listen because they like him but even more people listen because they want to hear his latest moronic take (especially if one of the people he pretends not to like has a good game) and how he's going to defend it.

Perkins is just an oaf.
I really am not fond of Wright but I could almost see why someone would be. Almost. If I knew him in person I might not mind talking to him. I think he can probably do the non shouty stuff if he tried. My problem with him, with most of them really, is that they behave in a way that aims for these “hot takes” as he calls them, and sometimes those takes end up wrong and sometimes right. Mostly wrong. But if they’re right they crow, and if they’re wrong they make a big deal of “hey I was wrong, but I admit it!” But then they go back to doing the exact. Same. Thing. No thought of should my analysis change. No thought of should my method change. No thought of what do I need to improve. Just more hot takes, another (to varying degrees depending on the individual) educated guess with the hope of earning some “legitimacy” by being right next time (for example Stephen A called the Warriors winning it this year, so what). Let’s just continue in the exact same fashion as though this didn’t blow up in our faces last time or the ten times before that.

Perkins could, and probably will, say each year “no more titles for Steph.” Eventually he’s going to be right? So what? It doesn’t mean that year his analysis is better of his input is more useful. He’s just the broken clock that’s right that time, eventually.

also none of these types are educating any of their viewers. They’re not teaching you anything explaining anything. It’s just noise. Nothing like Thinking Basketball or some of the Athletic’s articles breaking stuff down. Even if those guys make a prediction and end up wrong, at least you see their work and can respect that, and learn from their thought process.Way more than some talking head on tv shouting “warriors(or whoever) for the chip!” That’s ultimately just a guess and you hope you get lucky.

Sarni

They spent $80 million on Kelly Oubre, including the tax costs, and that arena is printing money so I'm sure they will spend as much as they can to keep that roster together. There aren't many teams with cap space and I doubt the teams that do will spend it on Payton, who is 29, or Looney so if they can get them back for $10 million each then I would imagine they will. Porter I could see getting an offer that they wouldn't be able to match, he was generally very good for them off the bench and would be a useful role player for any contending team.
Yeah I wouldn't mind Porter at Portland, not a contending team really but he'd fit well and we could give him full MLE which will be like $10.5million.

You are right about them likely being willing to pay that, I didn't really mean that they wouldn't - just that the cost will be obscene. Makes more sense to do that for a team that has just won a championship and will be contending for sure than to do that for run of the mill team like some have been doing. Arguably Dallas are in that position now where the team will cost close to $200m but won't really be a contender. Portland were getting there before we traded half our roster last year.

BTW Wizards are apparently going to give Beal $248m / 5 years deal when free agency opens which will instantly become the worst contract in the league, but they have a habit of doing that (see Wall contract which only expires next year).

Stacks

He's also a charisma black hole and, as I said, complete idiot.
Stephen A and Skip are trolls and talking heads that spout nothing but designed hot takes to generate controversy and clicks, but at least they do it with gusto and some sort of eloquence. Perk tries to do the same but he offers absolutely nothing, not even in terms of entertainment. He's stealing a living at ESPN even more than the other garbage spewers.
I don't understand "Charisma black hole" like what does that describe? He is clearly entertaining as he is put on many shows for said reason. He is also honest and straight up where as Stephen A simply dick ride their favs. Skip is just a hater. Nothing more, nothing less

Stacks

He actually gives some of the same credit that you do to Perkins. In a way. He says Perkins actually “did it” (although Draymond isn’t exactly complimentary of how good Perkins is) and shouldn’t need to resort to the talking head status of the others he trashes. Which I guess makes it even worse because that’s what he does do. :lol: Skip has nothing else to work with, Perkins does or at least SHOULD, so the fact that he’s operating in the same way is sad.

As for liking Perkins, we’ll just have to disagree here. The man is an oaf and a fool, and clearly with the last few years with the Warriors thought he was getting a chance to trash them without any real substance, . Saying “he is who he is” (a) I’m not sure about that, a lot of these ‘pundits’ or commentators are extremely performative, and (b) it doesn’t say much if “who he is” for real is a gobshite.

Agree with that. Also see the Rodney McGruder thing: even then he could have, and did somewhat, made the fair point that so many people in the league act tough. But he and Klay kind of shit on him.

I really am not fond of Wright but I could almost see why someone would be. Almost. If I knew him in person I might not mind talking to him. I think he can probably do the non shouty stuff if he tried. My problem with him, with most of them really, is that they behave in a way that aims for these “hot takes” as he calls them, and sometimes those takes end up wrong and sometimes right. Mostly wrong. But if they’re right they crow, and if they’re wrong they make a big deal of “hey I was wrong, but I admit it!” But then they go back to doing the exact. Same. Thing. No thought of should my analysis change. No thought of should my method change. No thought of what do I need to improve. Just more hot takes, another (to varying degrees depending on the individual) educated guess with the hope of earning some “legitimacy” by being right next time (for example Stephen A called the Warriors winning it this year, so what). Let’s just continue in the exact same fashion as though this didn’t blow up in our faces last time or the ten times before that.

Perkins could, and probably will, say each year “no more titles for Steph.” Eventually he’s going to be right? So what? It doesn’t mean that year his analysis is better of his input is more useful. He’s just the broken clock that’s right that time, eventually.

also none of these types are educating any of their viewers. They’re not teaching you anything explaining anything. It’s just noise. Nothing like Thinking Basketball or some of the Athletic’s articles breaking stuff down. Even if those guys make a prediction and end up wrong, at least you see their work and can respect that, and learn from their thought process.Way more than some talking head on tv shouting “warriors(or whoever) for the chip!” That’s ultimately just a guess and you hope you get lucky.
So you are upset because he gave an opinion about the Warriors? How does that make someone a gobshite? Simply made an erroneous prediction.....

Charlie Foley

So you are upset because he gave an opinion about the Warriors? How does that make someone a gobshite? Simply made an erroneous prediction.....
I’ve explained myself pretty clearly in that post and it’s not “I’m upset he gave an opinion.”

I guess these are the people who like/watch Perkins.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Yep, gonna lose most of those guys.

Charlie Foley

why do you guys watch any of these talking heads anyway?
Don’t know why anyone would actively seek them out (although some people like hate-watching/laughing at them react to being wrong again) but given the platform they have its pretty easy for their sound bites to bleed into social media, Twitter timelines etc., it’s the whole point of their shtick, especially when players respond to them. Aside from that, they’re on TVs everywhere you go: gyms, bars, even restaurants, airports, I feel like olds have them on tv a lot.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Green showed at the end of the season he will be a star and that its easy for him to score at this level. KPJ was going off too and hes only 22. Now you signed a 6"10 2-way 3 player or 3 & D. You probably only need some athletic wings and you got that young Turkish fella. Exciting times to have such a young team. Actually you signed that Spanish dude who was voted best young player in the Euro League and he is an athletic wing. Could be building something here.
It’s definitely an exciting time to be a Rockets fan, also Pistons and OKC. All 3 are assembling exciting young teams through the draft.

Once we get out of the Wall contract, the young core of the team will be a year older and will have built up chemistry. We can explore the free agency market in 23-24 with the intention of turning the team into possible contenders and that’s before we get to all the Nets picks we own between now and 2027 that could potentially end up being lottery picks, if Durant walks. We’ve already had a surprise 17 pick this season because Kyrie refused to get vaccinated. Tari Eason being in Houston is a direct consequence of Kyrie’s absence.

Bit of a pipe dream but LaMelo Ball will be a potential free agent in about 2 seasons I think. The timeline fits with the Rockets ascent. Crazy idea but a man can dream :D

R'hllor

why do you guys watch any of these talking heads anyway?
Personally, not really watching it, just using it as background sound/noise when i do something else, like listening podcast without paying much attention to it i guess.

ZDwyr

KD hitching his wagon to Kyrie is one of the strangest decisions he's made, and he's made a few weird ones. Doubling-down on Kyrie even after all the nonsense is even worse.

Sarni

Kyrie will go to Lakers on mid level exception, won’t he?

ZDwyr

Kyrie will go to Lakers on mid level exception, won’t he?
Probably. If it was anyone else I'd say no chance but the guy is a lunatic who willingly gave up like $15m just because he didn't want to get a vaccine.