NBA 2022-2023

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I feel like I'm the asshole here when it comes to all the Doncic love. He is a fantastic player and someone I love to watch play, but he has only been in the league 5 years and has won exactly 2 playoff series. He should not be close to the all-time great discussion yet, although in 5-6 years he may be at the top of the discussion. For comparison, Magic won a title his rookie year and his clinching game 6 performance in the finals is legendary. Luka may be at MAgic's level one day, hell he may pass him, but they are not on the same level right now.
In fairness, the 79-80 Lakers were a far superior team to the 18-19 Mavs. The Lakers were a playoff team the year before whereas the 17-18 Mavs were a bottom five team. Had Luka ended up in a scenario where a mid-tier playoff team had been fortunate to draft him (be it trade or whatever) and he propelled that side to the Finals... we'll never know but would be a much fairer comparison. What if Luka had somehow ended up in Cleveland, or Miami, or San Antonio, or Utah?

It's worth noting how Magic became a Laker - it was multiple draft pick compensation from New Orleans for signing Gail Goodrich in 1976. The Jazz finished dead last in the 78-79 and thus the Lakers lucked out with the first overall selection after a coin flip between them and Chicago. Had the coin flipped the other way it's Magic with the Bulls which also means no Jordan there a few years later - the Bulls would have been winning more games with Magic. NBA history would be much different today.

I don't know much about the trade but seems bizarre the Jazz wanted a 33-yr old player on the downslope for such a high cost. Presume they had hoped he could help Maravich get over the hump. Showtime may never have existed in an alternate universe had the Jazz elected a different path. Heck, basketball may never have left New Orleans with Magic in town.

SinNombre

20 FTs for Embiid, the dude has taken foul baiting to a new level. No wonder he “fails” during the playoffs.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Honeymoon is over, we are still keeping the games close but losing them instead of winning them now. A couple more weeks and we will be down to .500 or below, probably.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
At least James Wiseman is consistent. He had the worst plus/minus of all the starters for the Santa Cruz Warriors in their loss to the South Bay Lakers.

SinNombre

I'm just not sure I ever fully understood this thought process. When the NBA adds expansion teams, we hear about how championships don't mean as much because the league is diluted, despite the fact that you'll have to face the best teams in the final rounds of the playoffs.

In that era, it was the opposite of the expansion era. All the top talent were on the fewer number of teams. Russell had to face another top 10 all time player in Wilt every season. I'm not sure why the number of total teams in the league matters if you have to face an all time great to win the title.
Not sure what you are replying to.

There is a ridiculous amount of talent coming through right now.

The 3 most likeliest players under 30 who can win a MVP are all international.

There wasn’t that much “talent” 50+ years back since a lot lot fewer people were playing. It is how big numbers work.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Klay is shooting on sight. How do you even begin to stop red hot shooting like this? Warriors have absolutely blitzed us this first quarter.

Charlie Foley

Klay is shooting on sight. How do you even begin to stop red hot shooting like this? Warriors have absolutely blitzed us this first quarter.
He looks so comfortable. Knicks game did a world of good it seems. Rockets are a fun team at least and have potential to score a ton. I like those jerseys too.
Warriors % won’t stay this high especially with the bench out there

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Well the starters are back in front. Let's hope the bench doesn't feck it up again. :houllier:

SinNombre

So much drama to (try and) beat the worst team in the league and get the first win on the road.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
So much drama to (try and) beat the worst team in the league and get the first win on the road.
To be fair we’ve been close in most games this season. Think we only got battered by the Bucks. We’ve stayed competitive in pretty much every other game this season. We just have serious 4th quarter efficiency issues.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Steph flexing on literal teenagers. Well done. He’s only 13 :wenger:

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
First road win. We'll gloss over the fact that Klay had to score 41 and Klay, Steph and Wiggs hit 23 3s between them as well as all shooting 50% or better from the field.

...and only won by 7.

SinNombre

On the Steph discussion, amongst all the top 10-12 players, he is pretty unique in terms of being a buff. Which else all-time scoring great would go scoreless for one and a half quarters just trying to feed Klay to get him going?

Ladron de redcafe

Not sure what you are replying to.

There is a ridiculous amount of talent coming through right now.

The 3 most likeliest players under 30 who can win a MVP are all international.

There wasn’t that much “talent” 50+ years back since a lot lot fewer people were playing. It is how big numbers work.
It mean it was any easier to win a title back then, nevermind 11 titles.
You could easily argue that nobody in today's game is as good as either Russell or Chamberlain were, either.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
:lol:
fun game from your boys!
Yeah fun game, it was your typical Rockets game. Some explosive plays, high energy, very streaky scoring and very little clutch play down the stretch.

The 2 threes at the end there by Klay and Curry were just unreal shots. Nothing you can really do to defend it.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
First road win. We'll gloss over the fact that Klay had to score 41 and Klay, Steph and Wiggs hit 23 3s between them as well as all shooting 50% or better from the field.

...and only won by 7.
Apart from a little stretch in the second where we threatened to open up a big gap, I never really felt the game was in danger for the Warriors. Your starters were having too good of a game. Your bench though? Yikes

Charlie Foley

Yeah fun game, it was your typical Rockets game. Some explosive plays, high energy, very streaky scoring and very little clutch play down the stretch.

The 2 threes at the end there by Klay and Curry were just unreal shots. Nothing you can really do to defend it.
When Klay gets in that unconscious rhythm he is so hard to stop.

the curry shot was ridiculous. I had just started eating a late dinner and watching that shot I yelled at the tv “what sort of stupid shot is oh my fecking god”. Nearly spilled my jalfrezi curry (no pun intended) when it went in :lol: Klay actually threw his hands out when it was midair, not sure if that was a “what are you doing” or “why not” but it made me chuckle.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
According to the latest Dubs injury report, Steph, Klay and Draymond are all out tonight vs the Pels and Wiggs and Kevon Looney are questionable.

Gonna be tough. Chance for Jordan Poole to shine.

EDIT: Wiggs now also listed as out.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Seven points scored with 4 1/2 left to go in the 1st and already down by 15. I'm taking the Pelicans in this one.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Bit ridiculous that Warriors are resting everyone. I am all for load management but you are 8-9 and I don’t see any reason for why Wiggins needs to be rested

SinNombre

Adding Wiggins to this team is not going to change the result. Outside of playing Steph, nothing will

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
The problem these bench players have is that their natural game is nothing like the Dubs normally play. The Warriors typically emphasize ball movement, getting the best shot with lots of assists. The team tonight had 5 assists at the half.

Having said that, if you only score 41 points, your assist numbers are going to be down. :(

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Adding Wiggins to this team is not going to change the result. Outside of playing Steph, nothing will
That’s fine but Wiggins is still a much better player than what’s on court today .Warriors are struggling to win games even with everyone available right now so to just be throwing around games like this is senseless

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
That’s fine but Wiggins is still a much better player than what’s on court today .Warriors are struggling to win games even with everyone available right now so to just be throwing around games like this is senseless
Steph's 34 and his injury history is not great so I can understand some load management. As to the other players being out, you might as well rest them since if Steph doesn't play the team is almost certainly going to lose anyway. At the same time, you give the younger guys playing time which they sorely need.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Steph's 34 and his injury history is not great so I can understand some load management. As to the other players being out, you might as well rest them since if Steph doesn't play the team is almost certainly going to lose anyway. At the same time, you give the younger guys playing time which they sorely need.
I think no one can blame them for resting Steph but I don’t agree with resting the others as well. I think you need to get wiggins & poole playing more to make game’s competitive & allow other players to contribute. A game like today tells you absolutely nothing

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
I think no one can blame them for resting Steph but I don’t agree with resting the others as well. I think you need to get wiggins & poole playing more to make game’s competitive & allow other players to contribute. A game like today tells you absolutely nothing
I'm not sure management was looking to be told anything. All this game was for was to give the young guys a chance to get a feel for a real NBA game and get some "reps." Also what's the point of being competitive? A loss is a loss is a loss.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I'm not sure management was looking to be told anything. All this game was for was to give the young guys a chance to get a feel for a real NBA game and get some "reps." Also what's the point of being competitive? A loss is a loss is a loss.
But are they actual reps when half the game is being played like a practice session. If you try & keep games close then occasionally you will win some of them as well but this is basically just throwing a game away