NBA 2022-2023

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
This is why I will never take arguments for Steph or Luka as “ top 5 players” seriously. Jordan missed 3 games, total, in his peak 6 years. He averaged 37 over 82 games. Kareem, Russell, Magic and Bird similarly missed games only when injured. “Load management” may be great for preserving dudes for the playoffs, but it also accentuates the gap between the current dudes and the all time greats.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
This is why I will never take arguments for Steph or Luka as “ top 5 players” seriously. Jordan missed 3 games, total, in his peak 6 years. He averaged 37 over 82 games. Kareem, Russell, Magic and Bird similarly missed games only when injured. “Load management” may be great for preserving dudes for the playoffs, but it also accentuates the gap between the current dudes and the all time greats.
What a bizarre argument. There are loads of reasons for which Steph isn’t too 5 but not playing a random regular season game means nothing really. Jordan literally skipped a full season in between the 6 so not sure how you came up with 3 games

SinNombre

What trades would you guys be looking to do? Warriors need to get some vet depth and that would mean giving up some or most of the “two timeline” pieces.

Wiseman + seconds to bring back GP2
Kuminga + PBJ for Poetl?
Wiseman + Kuminga for Kuzma?
Wiseman + first for Vanderbilt?

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
What trades would you guys be looking to do? Warriors need to get some vet depth and that would mean giving up some or most of the “two timeline” pieces.

Wiseman + seconds to bring back GP2
Kuminga + PBJ for Poetl?
Wiseman + Kuminga for Kuzma?
Wiseman + first for Vanderbilt?
The only player I can see being traded is Wiseman. Next year (including luxury tax) he's projected to cost the Dubs a little over 27 million. Kuminga, Moody, and PBJ together will cost about 31 million total.

If they do trade him and they're still looking for a big man (which is not a sure thing since they've just won a title without one), I would look at Wiseman for Poeltl. Poeltl is in the last year of his contract and so he would essentially be a rental. Losing Wiseman would make Joe Lacob unhappy, but saving 27 million would help soften the blow.

EDIT: Just as an aside, Steph Curry will cost the Dubs (including luxury tax) a little over 116 million next year.

Last edited:

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Poor Luka, doing wonders against not one but two stars + a good team behind them.

SinNombre

The Dubs are at 0.500.

Woohoo!
Klay and Poole are passing and not forcing the bricks, and one of Steph or Dray are playing with the second unit. Not sustainable through 82 games but works for now.

Wiggins has been great again.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Poor Luka, doing wonders against not one but two stars + a good team behind them.
I was doing some stats and Luka is probably the only player to not win a game while scoring less than 30 points. He's done it only three times this season and Dallas have lost all. Other guys like Tatum, Embiid, Giannis have all had their teammates back them on nights they've struggled.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I know we we have the worst record in the league but it felt quite good to beat the Hawks and send Trae and Murray packing with an embarrassing loss. They were so arrogant, trash talking like crazy when they were up by 10 going into the 4th vs the worst team in the league. Murray even clipped Jabari around the head celebrating a score. So glad we rallied back to beat them.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
I know we we have the worst record in the league but it felt quite good to beat the Hawks and send Trae and Murray packing with an embarrassing loss. They were so arrogant, trash talking like crazy when they were up by 10 going into the 4th vs the worst team in the league. Murray even clipped Jabari around the head celebrating a score. So glad we rallied back to beat them.

People compare Young to Curry all the time because of their style of play and that style can sometimes include what some people refer to as "hot dogging." The difference (to me) is that Curry really does enjoy what he's doing, gets his own fans fired up and quietens the opposition crowd. Trash talk is minimal. Young on the other hand just seems to want to rub things in players' faces, trash talks constantly and just wants to rile the opposition crowd up. It just seems annoying to me.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
People compare Young to Curry all the time because of their style of play and that style can sometimes include what some people refer to as "hot dogging." The difference (to me) is that Curry really does enjoy what he's doing, gets his own fans fired up and quietens the opposition crowd. Trash talk is minimal. Young on the other hand just seems to want to rub things in players' faces, trash talks constantly and just wants to rile the opposition crowd up. It just seems annoying to me.
Curry isn’t a windup merchant like Trae is. They may have similar styles (which I don’t think is all that similar anyway) but I’ve never gotten the vibe from Curry that he’ll want to disrespect the opponent damn near every single minute of a game. There was a scuffle between the two teams in the 3rd when Murray got tangled up with Jabari and that seemed to light a fire under the Rockets because they stormed back from being down by 16 to winning the game by 6 points. Green and Jabari completely took over the 4th. Not gonna lie, it’s one of the more satisfying games in a long while.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Curry isn’t a windup merchant like Trae is. They may have similar styles (which I don’t think is all that similar anyway) but I’ve never gotten the vibe from Curry that he’ll want to disrespect the opponent damn near every single minute of a game. There was a scuffle between the two teams in the 3rd when Murray got tangled up with Jabari and that seemed to light a fire under the Rockets because they stormed back from being down by 16 to winning the game by 6 points. Green and Jabari completely took over the 4th. Not gonna lie, it’s one of the more satisfying games in a long while.
I actually agree that their playing styles aren't that similar but they both do a number of things on the court that do have a lot of people comparing them. They both take long 3s, are volume shooters and there is no doubt that they do "hot dog" it with their general play. The difference as you point out is that Curry does it purely for entertainment purposes (hence why he is so popular and people come to watch him) but Trae does it because sometimes he can be a bit of a dick

Last edited:

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Ayton with a massive 29-20 game.

He needs to play aggressive like this if we want to have a good chance of winning a ring.
Ayton is a hard guy to figure out. Sometimes he can be passive as can be, other times he can dominate like Shaq.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Ayton is a hard guy to figure out. Sometimes he can be passive as can be, other times he can dominate like Shaq.
Yeah and it doesn’t help that Monty seems to ice him out sometimes when he’s playing well. He can have 20 points in the first half and during the second half we seem to try our best to avoid finding him.

I really like Ayton and I think he’s the biggest factor in whether we’ll win a chip or not, because there’s very little people in the NBA who can match up with him physically to slow him down and he’s honestly very good defensively despite the low blocking numbers.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Yeah and it doesn’t help that Monty seems to ice him out sometimes when he’s playing well. He can have 20 points in the first half and during the second half we seem to try our best to avoid finding him.

I really like Ayton and I think he’s the biggest factor in whether we’ll win a chip or not, because there’s very little people in the NBA who can match up with him physically to slow him down and he’s honestly very good defensively despite the low blocking numbers.
The question for me though is "how long will he stay in Phoenix?" Management have already shown they're not keen and the coaching staff seem not to like him either. Will he stick around?

elmo

The question for me though is "how long will he stay in Phoenix?" Management have already shown they're not keen and the coaching staff seem not to like him either. Will he stick around?
I don’t think we’ll trade him this season at the very least.

And for all the doubters in the front office, surely they’re aware that he’s at worst our second best player in the playoffs and unless they’re willing to accept a downgrade, it makes no sense to trade away someone who has shown he’s thrives in playoff basketball.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

my man

:D I'm just relieved it wasn't 3 games :lol:

Man that is like playoff Looney levels!
I literally do not remember posting this and my FitBit show's me sleeping at this time. I think I must have been sleep posting. I stand by it 100%, but good lord, what else did I post? :lol:

SinNombre

I don’t think we’ll trade him this season at the very least.

And for all the doubters in the front office, surely they’re aware that he’s at worst our second best player in the playoffs and unless they’re willing to accept a downgrade, it makes no sense to trade away someone who has shown he’s thrives in playoff basketball.
How well does he get along with Booker and co?

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Good first half, and on the road.

Haven't said that too often this season.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Good win. On the road against a team with a winning record too.

Defense was still a bit iffy, but things are starting to click (maybe).

ZDwyr

Do Dallas have their pick this year? If they do I would consider asking Luka how he feels about punting this season. Their roster outside of him has a pretty clear ceiling and they have very few ways to improve. It might be worth trying to get a high pick in a talented and deep draft who can either develop into a #2 guy or who they can trade for one.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Do Dallas have their pick this year? If they do I would consider asking Luka how he feels about punting this season. Their roster outside of him has a pretty clear ceiling and they have very few ways to improve. It might be worth trying to get a high pick in a talented and deep draft who can either develop into a #2 guy or who they can trade for one.
Goes to Knicks, top 10 protected. If they sit Luka for 30+ games this season, they might just about make it to top 10 but they won’t be able to trade 2024 and 2025 picks after that I think as their current one will defer to next year.

ZDwyr

Goes to Knicks, top 10 protected. If they sit Luka for 30+ games this season, they might just about make it to top 10 but they won’t be able to trade 2024 and 2025 picks after that I think as their current one will defer to next year.
I see. They probably couldn't be bad enough to guarantee they retain the pick then. Not without something drastic anyway, like you say. I don't think they could convince Luka to sit that many games though. Especially in a potential MVP year.

elmo

They’ve their number 2 guy in Wood. Kidd just needs to figure out how to fit him in.

Real Name

Ivica Zubac 31 points and 29 rebounds, 6th foul meant he wont be a 1st player since Jabbar in 1981. to score 30 points and have 30 rebounds. But in any case a monstrous game.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Scrolling through box scores I see that the Magic started 4 guys 6’10” or taller. Got to be a record, right?

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
At the end of yesterday's game against the Wolves both Draymond Green and Steph Curry were given techs for stepping on the court during play. Draymond's it appeared was somewhat accidental and he argued that he wasn't interfering with play, he was just celebrating and the refs should let it go. He even made it out that the refs are legislating fun out of basketball. No! No! No! No! What Draymond did may have been unintentional, but the rules are clear. - celebrate all you like BUT stay off the court. As for Steph? If I was the league I'd fine him big for his transgression. Not only did he step on the court during play but he massively showed the refs up while doing it. That is bad news. Being a ref of any sport is hard enough already. Having one of the most prominent players in the league disrespecting officials is something the league definitely needs to take action on.

Last edited:

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
The Celtics just scored 45 points in the first quarter on the second night of a back to back - admittedly against the Hornets but good fecking grief