NBA 2022-2023

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
How's that Irving trade working out for Dallas?

Maybe the goal was to stink it up, fall out of the playoff contention, clear cap space (if possible), and ride their luck in the lottery. Has to be because it sure as feck hasn't elevated them forward.

R'hllor

Malone`s worst nightmare, his best player openly pushing for a rookie to get regular minutes, on top MPJ calling him out for being benched vs Nets, shit getting hot for that muppet. Also, Jokic already said it once previously but clearly he doesnt see MVPs as him winning it, more like someone else giving it to X player.

Have a question for those that have better knowledge of NBA, what main trait should coach have to actually win? Its way different vs Europe where players dont have a fraction of power compared to NBA players.

R'hllor

Maybe the goal was to stink it up, fall out of the playoff contention, clear cap space (if possible), and ride their luck in the lottery. Has to be because it sure as feck hasn't elevated them forward.
Are they both injured or he just refuses to play without Luka like he did in Nets in first season without KD?

Last edited:

ZDwyr

Have a question for those that have better knowledge of NBA, what main trait should coach have to actually win? Its way different vs Europe where players dont have a fraction of power compared to NBA players.
I'd say it's a toss-up between man management (and managing stars in particular) and the ability to make offensive/defensive adjustments across a 7 game playoff series. Good question though and I'd be interested to hear thoughts of others.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Malone`s worst nightmare, his best player openly pushing for a rookie to get regular minutes, on top MPJ calling him out for being benched vs Nets, shit getting hot for that muppet. Also, Jokic already said it once previously but clearly he doesnt see MVPs as him winning it, more like someone else giving it to X player.

Juggling egos because the vast majority of the players are babies.

And seriously, about 99% of the players in the NBA has been the best player in their team all the way until they made it to the league where suddenly they find themselves way lower on the totem pole than they’re used to. It’s why draft picks burn out, some players just cannot make the adjustment.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Basketball IQ alone doesn't cut it, there are very few all-time great players who were successful as NBA coaches. Bird to an extent, and Russell, but apart from that, not sure about anyone.

I think player management throughout the season is key and identifying which role works best for each individual - don't adhere to ideas if you can't implement them with the players you're working with.

Mark Jackson "changed" basketball because he couldn't care less about how many 3-pointers Curry took per game. Phil Jackson transformed the Bulls when he took over from Collins and installed his triangle offense, a totally new concept which simply worked. Pop made sure that he kept his core together and made them click, what resulted in perhaps the best true "team" basketball performances of all-time in 2014 imo. Each great coach seems to have something unique - and a lot of them lack exactly that in today's NBA. There are a lot of good not great coaches at the moment.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Morant out for the season?! Hopefully, a few months counselling will reset his public image to save his career.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I'd say it's a toss-up between man management (and managing stars in particular) and the ability to make offensive/defensive adjustments across a 7 game playoff series. Good question though and I'd be interested to hear thoughts of others.
Ability to make effective playoff adjustments (drastic if necessary)
Bench management (too many times we see disparity between the starter performance and the bench performance)
Establishing absolute authority over team affairs
Bit cliche, but having that go to star when your schemes break on court, who can get a bucket/stop

R'hllor

Ability to make effective playoff adjustments (drastic if necessary)
Bench management (too many times we see disparity between the starter performance and the bench performance)
Establishing absolute authority over team affairs
Bit cliche, but having that go to star when your schemes break on court, who can get a bucket/stop
This is why i asked, not familiar with other coaches work and their traits, only one i know is Malone from Denver due me watching their games and he is total opposite of what you would call great winning coach in Europe (thats what i am familiar with) but due different player dynamic in NBA maybe his type could win it.

He seems clueless how to adjust during a game, he cant coach for shit when it comes to bench unit for years now, rokies and young players have way way shorter leash vs veterans in his mind, he swears on fox and some hole line, his biggest trait is man managment ( some even used his relationship with Boogie as example ), if you ignore his lack of during game adjustments, some could say i describe some version of fecking Jose Mourihno. Maybe you can win title with his type but think they gonna feck all in playoffs with him.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
This is why i asked, not familiar with other coaches work and their traits, only one i know is Malone from Denver due me watching their games and he is total opposite of what you would call great winning coach in Europe (thats what i am familiar with) but due different player dynamic in NBA maybe his type could win it.

He seems clueless how to adjust during a game, he cant coach for shit when it comes to bench unit for years now, rokies and young players have way way shorter leash vs veterans in his mind, he swears on fox and some hole line, his biggest trait is man managment ( some even used his relationship with Boogie as example ), if you ignore his lack of during game adjustments, some could say i describe some version of fecking Jose Mourihno. Maybe you can win title with his type but think they gonna feck all in playoffs with him.
I haven't seen much of the Nuggets this season admittedly.

I did see a clip floating around of snippets from the Nuggets playing the Spurs, where the Spurs relentlessly attacked the rim and got by Jokic at will. No question teams will look to try that out in a series, and the question mark is, will Malone be able to adjust accordingly to kill that option?

So far he's fallen against teams with better records, hampered by injury to Murray. With the top seed in the West he has nowhere to hide now.

R'hllor

I haven't seen much of the Nuggets this season admittedly.

I did see a clip floating around of snippets from the Nuggets playing the Spurs, where the Spurs relentlessly attacked the rim and got by Jokic at will. No question teams will look to try that out in a series, and the question mark is, will Malone be able to adjust accordingly to kill that option?

So far he's fallen against teams with better records, hampered by injury to Murray. With the top seed in the West he has nowhere to hide now.
They had one game when they did some switch to cover PnR but didnt repeat since then. Yea he fallen vs team with JM and MPJ injury last 2 years but he was never hidding behind it, they might not even be top seed when regular season ends, right now Murray is way bigger problem than MPJ and seems his injured knee flares up during a game, last game he wasnt even on in Q4 because of it.

Just interesting to see views on NBA coaches.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
It affects their contract, so of course the players care about the award.
It is also ingrained in their contracts.

Steph is the rare (only?) superstar who doesn’t care about with his half court heaves, whereas everyone else waits for the time to run out before releasing the ball.

Didn’t Lebron come back limping to keep his 10 point streak going?
Don't footballers also have clauses for Balon D'Or/TOTY/POTY? Also, European based players in the NBA would have the same clauses but you don't hear Luka, Giannis or Jokic talk so much about wanting the MVP.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Big win for the Lakers tonight. Now our next three are @ the Rockets and at home against the Mavs and Magic. Three very winnable games and we should be close to a play-in lock if we do so. Still have a slight bit of hope that we can get to the #5 or #6 seed but think that'll be a tough ask at this point.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
What an amazing day for a Portland fan. We drop a massive lead and end up losing by a blowout in the end, all while Wizards, Lakers, Raptors, Thunder win their games. Magic are getting out of reach but we'll do what we can.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
About as well as expected. The team got worse and he's out injured/pouting/whatever.
A couple of years from now this trade will be looked at as the death knell for the Doncic era in Dallas.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Dallas fecked up by trading Brunson away imo.

Of course Iriving was always gonna end badly but I think they just wanted to show Luka that they are invested in building a contending team around him. Don't know whether they'll be in salary cap hell if they sign Kyrie to a long-term deal this offseason but they really shouldn't. It should be a rental for half a season to check whether this thing could work, but Irving, even though he's a top-5 skilled and exciting player in the league when on fire, is simply done for at a contending team imo. Those days have passed, he's a liability.

If I'm Doncic I'm simply looking to move on from the Mavs, but if the Mavs allow that they're basically giving up on their franchise.

Sarni

About as well as expected. The team got worse and he's out injured/pouting/whatever.
A couple of years from now this trade will be looked at as the death knell for the Doncic era in Dallas.
Yeah it started off better than I expected but then regressed to exactly what I thought it would be. They are now just a game ahead of Utah and Pelicans, though with the form they've both been in I can see them still making play-in from 9-10 spots but I don't think they will have enough to go through two play-in games. Lottery pick it is.

Sarni

Of course Iriving was always gonna end badly but I think they just wanted to show Luka that they are invested in building a contending team around him. Don't know whether they'll be in salary cap hell if they sign Kyrie to a long-term deal this offseason but they really shouldn't.

If I'm Doncic I'm simply looking to move on from the Mavs, but if the Mavs allow that they're basically giving up on their franchise.
They didn't trade Brunson away, he left in free agency because he wanted to go somewhere where he could have a more prominent role and his father was already in the Knicks organization. I very much doubt Mavs had any way to keep him.

The mistake they made was probably not trading him away while they could as they'd have probably got a pick back from NY last year.

They need to try and extend Kyrie. They won't have much cap left once it's done but they can fill out the roster with mid-level exception and $5m to $10m players that fit alongside those two better. Realistically you are going to need tremendous defenders at 3, 4 and 5 if you are to succeed with Irving and Doncic.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
They didn't trade Brunson away, he left in free agency because he wanted to go somewhere where he could have a more prominent role and his father was already in the Knicks organization. I very much doubt Mavs had any way to keep him.

The mistake they made was probably not trading him away while they could as they'd have probably got a pick back from NY last year.
Oh yeah it wasn't a trade, of course.

They could've signed him to a 4-year, $55m deal before last season if I'm not mistaken? Even if they weren't truly convinced about him that's a very favorable and affordable deal.

He mentioned it on JJ Reddick's podcast, but could be mistaken about the moment or the contract, not sure anymore.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Big win for the Lakers tonight. Now our next three are @ the Rockets and at home against the Mavs and Magic. Three very winnable games and we should be close to a play-in lock if we do so. Still have a slight bit of hope that we can get to the #5 or #6 seed but think that'll be a tough ask at this point.
Will need a 10-3 finish between now and the end of the season to be in with a shout of 5/6. Game against the Clips on April 6th is going to be the biggie.

Sarni

Oh yeah it wasn't a trade, of course.

They could've signed him to a 4-year, $55m deal before last season if I'm not mistaken? Even if they weren't truly convinced about him that's a very favorable and affordable deal.

He mentioned it on JJ Reddick's podcast, but could be mistaken about the moment or the contract, not sure anymore.
He wouldn't have signed that deal I think. They could have offered that, yes, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have taken it.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
He wouldn't have signed that deal I think. They could have offered that, yes, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have taken it.
Think he mentioned that he would have before the start of the season (after his poor performance against the Clippers in the playoffs), but that the Mavs came around with that exact offer when he got going during the season and that he felt it was too late and he wanted to test FA.

In any case, the Mavs are clearly struggling to properly build around Doncinc and he's now at an age (and has enough years in the league under his belt) that he'll want to regularly compete for a ring. They're currently not showing that that's what they can offer him in terms of supporting cast imo, which could be problematic down the road.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
It's way worse than that. The Mavs let Brunson leave for absolutely nothing. Such a shambolic organisation.
The Mavs had a way to keep him. They didn't offer him the extension at the start of his last season, instead they shopped him aggressively. I'm also pretty sure they could have made Brunson stay by just paying more than the Knicks. But Cuban loves letting underrated PGs leave who then turn into stars somewhere else.

The situation right now is dire. If Kyrie leaves, we wasted two of our best players and a 1st round pick for a rental and won't have enough cap space to close all the holes in this trash roster. If he stays, well, we are stuck with fecking Kyrie Irving on a max. Lose lose situation.

ZDwyr

The Pelicans' drop-off has been spectacular. I know Zion is out but this is essentially the same team that pushed the Suns in the playoffs last season.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Think he mentioned that he would have before the start of the season (after his poor performance against the Clippers in the playoffs), but that the Mavs came around with that exact offer when he got going during the season and that he felt it was too late and he wanted to test FA.

In any case, the Mavs are clearly struggling to properly build around Doncinc and he's now at an age (and has enough years in the league under his belt) that he'll want to regularly compete for a ring. They're currently not showing that that's what they can offer him in terms of supporting cast imo, which could be problematic down the road.
It’s hard to build around a ball dominant player who doesn’t play defense.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
The situation right now is dire. If Kyrie leaves, we wasted two of our best players and a 1st round pick for a rental and won't have enough cap space to close all the holes in this trash roster. If he stays, well, we are stuck with fecking Kyrie Irving on a max. Lose lose situation.
I'd happily take the L of him leaving to go be a cancer/headache for another club overpaying him. Maybe he can go cozy up with LeBron.

Sarni

I'd happily take the L of him leaving to go be a cancer/headache for another club overpaying him. Maybe he can go cozy up with LeBron.
Yeah but if you let him go, you are almost guaranteed Luka is going to leave within a year or two as well. He probably will anyway but at least you give yourself a glimmer of hope keeping Kyrie.

ZDwyr

What does Steph need to do for the Warriors to get a road win? Put up 60 or 70?

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Lakers lose against Houston, feck off you useless cnuts :lol:

SinNombre

What does Steph need to do for the Warriors to get a road win? Put up 60 or 70?
Steph goes for 50 on 28 attempts with 2 turnovers while the rest of the starters go for 39 on 41 attempts and 8 turnovers. Only 4 FTA but that’s par for course for Steph not getting calls.

These Warriors need Wiggins to come back to have any hope. And Wiggins needs to take however much time off that he does.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Yeah but if you let him go, you are almost guaranteed Luka is going to leave within a year or two as well. He probably will anyway but at least you give yourself a glimmer of hope keeping Kyrie.
I'm fine with that. I lost my emotional connection to the Mavs when Dirk retired, so I'll welcome a proper chance to say goodbye to this horrible organisation.
I'd also rather not watch basketball than root for Kyrie. He's made it impossible for me to enjoy anything about the Mavs season.

Sarni

Lakers lose against Houston, feck off you useless cnuts :lol:
Inexcusable to have that loss in the middle of a very important run of games that will decide their fate. Even the difference between 7th and 8th is significant with home court advantage, let alone 8 v 9 which is massive.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Lakers without AD are basically a lottery team anyway :wenger: so hardly surprising we beat them. We just beat a full strength Celtics too so we're on a bit of a roll.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Not making a thread, but March Madness is on TV :drool:
Much better than the NBA. Furman beat Virginia in a last second shot and Princeton beat Arizona in an incredible first day with more games to come tonight.