NBC - Possibly one of the best coverages of football?

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
I really have enjoyed NBC's coverage of the Premier League these last 3 years. I don't think they get enough praise.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Yeah, I've watched it on NBC today as well and enjoyed it, good commentary, no boring feckers like Hargreaves, Owen or some other bitter shit you get on English telly, they bring you upcoming fixtures, statistics and all that stuff you'd expect them to bring.

AXVnee7

Love the score tracker in the corner for other games, and how they jump to other games and show highlights at half time or the end of a game.

Commentary is probably not as good as Sky, but presentation and the rest is pretty good!

SirAnderson

Agreed. I just like to hear sky and bt complain. The panel of NBC is relatively unknown people, sometimes I like the Gary, Jamie, Henry, etc views on the match, afterwards of course.

But again, they do well. I usually have 2 streams open with them and Sky or BT whichever is showing. I watch the match with NBC and listen to build up, half time and full time discussions with Sky or BT.

cyberman

Can i get the an app where I can stream their coverage? They advertised their app during the match but is it subscription based or could I configure my Router to get it?

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
I dont get why America needs to have so many drug ads though.

But they good coverage when i watch them online

Kazi

I think their sports coverage in general is great. Well, with the NFL at least, it's the best of the three networks.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Yeah I love NBC, their analysis isn't as great as Sky, but that's to be expected, better than BT though. The format and layout of their coverage is excellent.

liamp

Yeah, because nobody gives a toss about footie there.
There is literally no sport over here where you can't pay to watch every single game. The archaic system in England is the most confusing thing ever to me. It makes the blackout system over here look good in comparison.

Manny

Grammar Police
Their need to put ads over the scoreboard ruins it for me.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
There is literally no sport over here where you can't pay to watch every single game. The archaic system in England is the most confusing thing ever to me. It makes the blackout system over here look good in comparison.
Do you mean the 3pm rule? I agree it's a bit silly but can sort of understand why the FA want to do it.

liamp

Do you mean the 3pm rule? I agree it's a bit silly but can sort of understand why the FA want to do it.
Yes. There's a blackout rule in the US where your local games are "blacked out" if they're shown nationally or if you purchase a sports package, but that's because it assumes you have the ability to watch it on a local channel.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
In the last three weeks I have had to watch a lot of football on streams and I have realised how good NBC commentary is as compared to the rubbish PL TV crap we get on tv in India

cyberman

It basically is the blackout system isn't it? There's 90 odd teams that need people to come out rather than sit in and watch United v City and the like which would return to 3pm on a Saturday.
Imagine LA had as many sides in the NBA as London has in league football then it kind of makes sense.

Ibi Dreams

They don't have any of their own commentary. They just use the standard EPL one.
Not sure if it was NBC or not but one of the American ones definitely does have its own commentary. A week or two ago I heard the commentator suggest that the American viewers look up Paul Gascoigne on youtube to see what he was like as a player.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Not sure if it was NBC or not but one of the American ones definitely does have its own commentary. A week or two ago I heard the commentator suggest that the American viewers look up Paul Gascoigne on youtube to see what he was like as a player.
Yeah I saw that, Graham Le saux is one of the commentators they have

Sylar

They had Danny Higginbotham I believe. I rate him as a co-commentator and pundit.

JustinC00

They show every United match so I have zero complaints. Maybe once or twice a season I have to watch through their online service if there is a game like Chelsea/Spurs on at the same time as United but it seems like that doesn't even happen anymore because they'll just put United on CNBC.

liamp

It basically is the blackout system isn't it? There's 90 odd teams that need people to come out rather than sit in and watch United v City and the like which would return to 3pm on a Saturday.
Imagine LA had as many sides in the NBA as London has in league football then it kind of makes sense.
The blackout system in England affects the entire country whereas it just affects a localized area for the US. I understand why they started it back in the 60's or whatever, but in 2016 it just seems unnecessarily inconvenient for those who aren't close enough to actually make it to a match.

Massive Spanner

The blackout system in England affects the entire country whereas it just affects a localized area for the US.
England doesn't have localized stations in the way the vastly larger US does, though, not really sure what else they could implement.

I think it's a good but flawed rule that for the most part helps smaller clubs.

Omar Little

I bought an NBCSN Live Extra account on Reddit and a VPN and it's up there with the best money I've ever spent. Most of the time, I'll watch it instead of SkySports.

IBleedRed

likes to use pantyhose
I'm not joking. I've never seen American (I assume it's American) coverage of football.
To be fair, towards the end of Fox Soccer Channel's coverage of the PL, it was a disgrace with Gus Johnson and Co.
One of the things that got me into the game was the lack of commercials. It seems like the NFL, NBA, etc have commercials every 5 minutes.
With the age of Netflix and streaming, I really can't stomach watching any kind of commercials. I think Twitch has the right idea by letting people watch ads for bits (Twitch currency), that they can give to streamers.

sport2793

Ya I'm surprised at the fact that US watchers get to see all the PL matches for the price of one channel, amazing value. It really has revolutionized the landscape in this country with regards to football awareness. Quite a few people I know watch the games now and wouldn't have prior to NBC getting the rights to the PL.

Massive Spanner

Ya I'm surprised at the fact that US watchers get to see all the PL matches for the price of one channel, amazing value. It really has revolutionized the landscape in this country with regards to football awareness. Quite a few people I know watch the games now and wouldn't have prior to NBC getting the rights to the PL.
well quite simply the PL isn't that popular there, is all. If it was as popular as the NFL or NBA then you can guarantee it wouldn't be that cheap.

sport2793

well quite simply the PL isn't that popular there, is all. If it was as popular as the NFL or NBA then you can guarantee it wouldn't be that cheap.
Ya but it leads into another point that I want to make. It benefits the PL to give such a good deal to NBC as none of the other football leagues (etc. La Liga, Bundesliga) come close in terms of availability. It really serves to strengthen the advantage that the PL has compared to any other league in the American market and will benefit the revenues of the English teams in the years to come. Not sure how good the La Liga coverage is for Spanish channels in the US but the fact that you can't see El Clasico on a major channel represents a huge oversight by that league.

And NFL and NBA coverage is not bad at all in the US. I can watch my home teams play every single match with an antenna or the most basic cable package. The major matches for both leagues are shown on the channels that everyone have also and for the NFL games on NFL network, those are shown for free on NBC and Twitter now. I don't live in England but it sounds like that is not the case for the PL.