NBC - Possibly one of the best coverages of football?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Am I imagining things or have NBC separated Mustoe and Martino on their shows recently ? All studio tandems seem to be other Earle and Mustoe or Earle and Martino.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Not a coincidence I'd say. They've had their differences and it ruins the show.

Btw, where is the US set? East coast or LA?

Chekhov

Supports
A wife and three kids
Am I imagining things or have NBC separated Mustoe and Martino on their shows recently ? All studio tandems seem to be other Earle and Mustoe or Earle and Martino.
Intentional or not, I prefer it this way. Mustoe's behavior toward Martino has been downright unprofessional, and I'm glad the latter finally put him in his place.

But the tension and hostility ruins it for me.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Really? This week was Earle and Martino, same as last week I thought.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Always look for NBC streams when I can't get it on Noggie TV. Love listening to American commentators, they sound so enthusiastic and engaged.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
NBC Sports are fantastic. Just had Gundogan on the studio to move players around on the interactive chart.

Peanut Butter

NBC Sports are fantastic. Just had Gundogan on the studio to move players around on the interactive chart.
Was just going to say the same. Have been watching it all afternoon.

It's so refreshing not having Redknapp, Souness, Henry being obvious etc on Sky Sports.

I never watch Sky Sports coverage anymore.

Peanut Butter

Always look for NBC streams when I can't get it on Noggie TV. Love listening to American commentators, they sound so enthusiastic and engaged.
Whenever I watch it we get British commentators on NBC. For Swansea v Boro we had Jon Champion and Andy Townsend.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Whenever I watch it we get British commentators on NBC. For Swansea v Boro we had Jon Champion and Andy Townsend.
I think they switch randomly assign English ones when there aren't big matches. Otherwise they have their own NBC ones do it.

Peanut Butter

Nope, we are getting English commentators. I have never witnessed US commentators when using NBC.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Nope, we are getting English commentators. I have never witnessed US commentators when using NBC.
I wasn't referring to their nationalities, but rather their employer. The ones now (White, Le Seaux, Dixon) are the American ones. By that I mean commentators who are actually employed by NBC Sports, as opposed to the likes of Champion et al.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I think they switch randomly assign English ones when there aren't big matches. Otherwise they have their own NBC ones do it.
They used the designated EPL ones like most international broadcasters I believe. The EPL always has a designated set of commentators at games for this purpose.

Peanut Butter

I wasn't referring to their nationalities, but rather their employer. The ones now (White, Le Seaux, Dixon) are the American ones. By that I mean commentators who are actually employed by NBC Sports, as opposed to the likes of Champion et al.
Got you.

These two are good commentators - enjoying this.

klayton88

I'm at the point where even if a game is on Sky/BT I look for a NBC stream. I love how the commentators don't waffle on and on and there are actually huge pauses in the commentary. Unlike BT/Sport where they feel they have to fill every second with gibberish.

“Put your brain into gear and if you can add to what’s on the screen then do it, otherwise shut up.” - Richie Benaud

beergod

Total class coverage. Shame Fox Sports couldn't get it down pat when they first pushed the footballing world circa 1999.
Fox's coverage was awful, with the exception of the Canadian crew with St. Louis and McMahon. Their US coverage still can't get past "jobs for the boys" with the likes of Lalas and Wynalda. Every time I watch their European coverage I'm glad that NBC outbid them for the rights. Their streaming options are laughable compared to NBC.

I enjoyed the old school FSW people - Max Bretos and that gang.
If Bretos wasn't working for ESPN I imagine he would be down in Miami with Ray Hudson drowning us in hyperbole. I actually like him when he isn't going crazy, but his match commentary gets old fast.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
NBC have definitely done the EPL a solid in promoting the league here.

The EPL is the only league here in the conscience of the average sports fan really.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
There was a Fox Sports World and a Fox Sports World Canada. Both were great for footy back in the day. One of the consequences of the recent mass availability of football on US tv is that going to pubs has somewhat become passe, which is a shame. When I lived in LA, I used to wake up at 4am on Saturdays and drive down the road to the Cock-n-Bull in Santa Monica....order a full English and watch United. Occasionally had to pay a $20 cover for Setanta as well. Those were the days.

MarylandMUFan

There was a Fox Sports World and a Fox Sports World Canada. Both were great for footy back in the day. One of the consequences of the recent mass availability of football on US tv is that going to pubs has somewhat become passe, which is a shame. When I lived in LA, I used to wake up at 4am on Saturdays and drive down the road to the Cock-n-Bull in Santa Monica....order a full English and watch United. Occasionally had to pay a $20 cover for Setanta as well. Those were the days.
I remember paying $20 for PPV to watch the Arsenal-United match at home in 2005 thinking it was worth every penny (the 4-2 win at Highbury).

Man of Leisure

Didn't realize that the President of US Soccer was an unpaid position. How do they expect to get any decent candidates? :houllier:

Man of Leisure

The question is who is going to wind Mustow up now that Martino is gone.
A week or two ago, I seem to recall the two Robbies getting underneath each other's skin. Maybe Mustoe was the one initiating the winding up rather than Martino?