Neil Ashton joins United as a PR consultant

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ashton who presented The Sunday Supplement on Sky has been hired by United as a PR consultant.

pacifictheme

Pr tip 1. Don't announce boring back room staff members during the transfer window.

Acole9

Outstanding
I wonder if he was second choice after fat man Custis.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If you can’t figure out how to actually make things better instead figure out how to make things appear better.

Castia

He’s starting his own media company and quit being a journalist and also quit the Sunday Supplement.

I like Neil Ashton, I’m a fan of Sunday Supplement and watch it on a weekly basis.

Amir

We didn't need so much PR work when our football did it by itself.

The worse you are, the more you invest in PR.

Mainoldo

He replacing the woman that organises the presses?

Don’t know what this job means?

Ashton who presented The Sunday Supplement on Sky has been hired by United as a PR consultant.

can he play right midfield? If not, do not want.

he’s only going to use us, and go off somewhere better next season - can’t see why we are wasting resources on a position that’s clearly not a priority.

Ed tried to sign Max Clifford, didn’t even realise he was dead let alone a paedo, and then we end up with this guy, who has spent years just working on a Sunday. What sort of work rate is that? Will he even be open to consulting with us if we need him on a cold Wednesday night at Stoke? I highly doubt it.

I can’t even find a YouTube clip of him, and clearly he’s too old and injury prone. He won’t improve, and he doesn’t have any sell on value, so we will just be lumbered with him and Lingard. Don’t get me started on his injury record, at least he can keep Bailly and Rojo company.

At least he’s British, and that’s the single most important thing about this transfer, as we are not allowed to buy outside of the isles.

We couldn’t even afford to purchase him full time, another example of the Glazer penny pinching. Joke of a club, an utter embarrassment.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
can he play right midfield? If not, do not want.

he’s only going to use us, and go off somewhere better next season - can’t see why we are wasting resources on a position that’s clearly not a priority.

Ed tried to sign Max Clifford, didn’t even realise he was dead let alone a paedo, and then we end up with this guy, who has spent years just working on a Sunday. What sort of work rate is that? Will he even be open to consulting with us if we need him on a cold Wednesday night at Stoke? I highly doubt it.

I can’t even find a YouTube clip of him, and clearly he’s too old and injury prone. He won’t improve, and he doesn’t have any sell on value, so we will just be lumbered with him and Lingard. Don’t get me started on his injury record, at least he can keep Bailly and Rojo company.

At least he’s British, and that’s the single most important thing about this transfer, as we are not allowed to buy outside of the isles.

We couldn’t even afford to purchase him full time, another example of the Glazer penny pinching. Joke of a club, an utter embarrassment.
Nice one.. :lol:

LJJT

Seems a strange appointment. Always felt PR was one of our stronger points over the last decade or so. Don’t understand why appoint him as an independent consultant if we already have an entire PR department dedicated to PR. Surely he can’t continue on TV or media due to his obvious bias?

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Young (debatable), British and I guess sometimes hungry too, so sounds like a Solskjaer compliant signing to be fair.

R'hllor

What the feck, oh well, corp move, its like they run shady organization. Best part of all, every time i watched Sunday Sup, he never gave a positive vibe when it comes to United, in some instances he even had sub digs etc. What a fecking sellout.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Ironically the posts in this thread questioning the point of a PR appointment exemplifies why a new PR direction might be needed. The current one is failing.

Josep Dowling

So rather than deal with the core problems at the club get someone in to put bells and whistles around the problem?

JPRouve

Scout
So rather than deal with the core problems at the club get someone in to put bells and whistles around the problem?
These things aren't mutual exclusive, in fact a functioning organization would do both at the same time. Try to fix the core problems while making sure that everyone believes that everything is going swimmingly or at the very least that everything is under control. Now my guess is that they will fail to achieve both of these things.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Why ask if you already have the answer? Or they could be trying to do both, as JP says.

MrPooni

Why get a technical director to try and fix this mess when you can just hire some Murdoch hack help you cover it up more effectively?

pastyfool

So we’re paying someone from the ‘fiery British media’ to tell us how to deal with the fiery British media.

Bit of a racket.

Great work if you can get it.

Who actually reads newspapers/or their websites these days?

A lot of the ‘news’ that they write comes from the managers press conference which now because of the internet you can watch. You can make your own mind up. You don’t need a middle man to twist what the manager said. Clickbait merchants.

Here’s something the club could have done. Release a statement saying that they were planning on hiring a PR Consultant but have now decided to donate that money to local charities.

JPRouve

Scout
So we’re paying someone from the ‘fiery British media’ to tell us how to deal with the fiery British media.

Bit of a racket.

Great work if you can get it.

Who actually reads newspapers/or their websites these days?

A lot of the ‘news’ that they write comes from the managers press conference which now because of the internet you can watch. You can make your own mind up. You don’t need a middle man to twist what the manager said. Clickbait merchants.

Here’s something the club could have done. Release a statement saying that they were planning on hiring a PR Consultant but have now decided to donate that money to local charities.
What you described at the end is a PR move, they should hire you. ;)

Angelinho

Perhaps his first consultation should involve telling the club not to announce hiring a new PR consultant during a barren transfer window in a disappointing season.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
He's already equalled Lingard's goal haul for 2019. Progress.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Hopefully he can get that stupid Man Utd Instagram account to stop posting rubbish after a loss. Or get our idiotic players to stop posting motivational quotes after games where we lose.

Nickelodeon

I'll resist the temptation to use a mocking tone here.

One of our major PR related problems is the insane amount of players we get linked with and when they sign for another club, it is seen as a failure for United. The likes of Daily Mail use every player signing for another club as 'XXX beat Manchester United to the signing of YYY player'.

Not sure if its a PR guy can manage it but it would be wonderful if he and his team can.

Castia

No offence intended but why on earth do you do that?
Watched it for years now even before Ashton, Sunday morning breakfast and the SS is a must for me, I find it interesting.

Acole9

Outstanding
Hopefully he can get that stupid Man Utd Instagram account to stop posting rubbish after a loss. Or get our idiotic players to stop posting motivational quotes after games where we lose.
You forgot about the app too, we're getting battered in a game and they ask who's been man of the match so far, erm let me have a think... no one?!