Neil Ashton joins United as a PR consultant

fergosaurus

Assuming Custis is being influenced by Ashton, it doesn't make sense to me why he's blaming the Glazers to boost Woodward's image. I don't think this is what they had in mind when they added Ashton to the payroll.

Chairman Steve

Are we just going to ignore Pochettino is there too :lol: Guess they’re discussing canned statements about the ownership when he’s appointed.

Brophs

The One and Only
All hail to our new P(ochettino) R(ecruitment) Consultant

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

At Brentford-Leeds tonight :annoyed:
Honestly, what does this achieve? Every United player will see this on their phone. Do we believe they'll be giving their all at Chelsea, or for the rest of the season, when Ashton is being seen with Pochettino. It's basically telling the dressing room: 'F Ole he'll be gone in May.' What authority will Ole be able to wield when Woodward's PR guy undermines him like this? I sometimes think they're sabotaging the season on purpose.

Gazza

Honestly, what does this achieve? Every United player will see this on their phone. Do we believe they'll be giving their all at Chelsea, or for the rest of the season, when Ashton is being seen with Pochettino. It's basically telling the dressing room: 'F Ole he'll be gone in May.' What authority will Ole be able to wield when Woodward's PR guy undermines him like this? I sometimes think they're sabotaging the season on purpose.
Tbf Ole has had total authority all season and look what’s happened

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Tbf Ole has had total authority all season and look what’s happened
Has he though? There's been rumours about his position all season. Plus it's fairly obvious that the club has prioritised certain players over every coach we've had.

Fooza

Regardless of rumours about managers coming in or not. A united player needs to be giving his all every single game for the badge.

We need to bin any players who don't give it all, especially if they don't against a team like Chelsea. Then somethings wrong.

Seij

Assuming Custis is being influenced by Ashton, it doesn't make sense to me why he's blaming the Glazers to boost Woodward's image. I don't think this is what they had in mind when they added Ashton to the payroll.
He comes across as an extremely petty being with giant ego. Wouldn't be surprised if he told Ashton to do whatever (including blaming the Glazers) to boost his image. Doubt Glazers give a shite anyway what fans think of them as long as they keep reaping the sweet dividends.

Woody is the worst phenomenon to have happened to this club in the past couple of decades.

Gazza

Has he though? There's been rumours about his position all season. Plus it's fairly obvious that the club has prioritised certain players over every coach we've had.
Not for Ole. They’ve let him trim the squad and add to it as he saw fit. There has been almost zero press speculation about his job for most of the season, he’s been given plenty of backing by his former colleagues working in media, and the club have briefed at least once that they back him all the way and his job isn’t under threat. I’d say he’s been given more authority than any manager we’ve had since Fergie.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
This appointment was ridiculed at the time (rightly so) but seeing how greatly the whole club has reacted to the pandemic has been so refreshing. Most of it is probably genuine but I'm sure him and the PR department have had some influence. Compare that to the utter embarrassment called Liverpool who have been a disaster since the shutdown.

EwanI Ted

This appointment was ridiculed at the time (rightly so) but seeing how greatly the whole club has reacted to the pandemic has been so refreshing. Most of it is probably genuine but I'm sure him and the PR department have had some influence. Compare that to the utter embarrassment called Liverpool who have been a disaster since the shutdown.
Yeah, good PR is more than just what you write in the press release. It can help shape decision making within the club by reminding people internally about the impact of the decisions they make. Look at Liverpool's press release, where some executive evidently spat out their cornflakes when they read what Joe Anderson had said and wanted to have a go back. A good PR team would have convinced them to let it slide.

From not getting involved in furloughing staff, to paying out for fans who couldn't make it to the away game in the Europa, the club have been pretty good of late on the PR front. Which after a lot of nonsense over the last few years has certainly been refreshing.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Forgot about this. It does look from the outside like he’s doing a bloody good job.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Yeah I've been thinking this a lot lately. United have got everything right during this pandemic and deserve a lot of credit. The fact that Liverpool have been such a PR horror show has made us look even better.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I was thinking this yesterday, when I saw the report that 80 or so staff had volunteered to come in and prepare, and deliver hot meals to various NHS establishments. Over the past two months, ever since the fans were reimbursed for the Europa League match in Austria, everything the the club has done has been positive, and very socially spirited. From the NHS logo illuminated from the Manchester United sign, to paying the full and part time staff, the players getting involved in supporting the local communities and lots of other efforts, I'm falling in love again with club that I've followed for over 50 years. I'm still not a fan of the glazers or woodward, but I finally think that we are heading in the right direction both on and off the pitch. How much is down to Ashton I don't know, but whoever is making these decisions has got it spot on.

red thru&thru

I slated this because of all the PR that was pro Ed at the time and rightly ridiculed. But since Covid-19, there is nothing but praise.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I was thinking this yesterday, when I saw the report that 80 or so staff had volunteered to come in and prepare, and deliver hot meals to various NHS establishments. Over the past two months, ever since the fans were reimbursed for the Europa League match in Austria, everything the the club has done has been positive, and very socially spirited. From the NHS logo illuminated from the Manchester United sign, to paying the full and part time staff, the players getting involved in supporting the local communities and lots of other efforts, I'm falling in love again with club that I've followed for over 50 years. I'm still not a fan of the glazers or woodward, but I finally think that we are heading in the right direction both on and off the pitch. How much is down to Ashton I don't know, but whoever is making these decisions has got it spot on.
The club has been making good decisions since Ole's appointment. It has merely been that the results on the pitch have tarnished the backroom decision making, but for what its worth, the club has entirely gone about this process the right way including ridding itself of dead wood. I also think the decision to tell Mino to go feck himself regarding Haaland was also a strong position for the club to take and it speaks enough of where we are heading.

The internal decision makers at the club knew that the first half of this season would be a struggle. They told us and the fans didn't listen. But it is clear there has been, for the first time since Woodward took over, a clear direction and plan for how we are moving forward.