Neil Ruddock 'deliberately broke Andy Cole's legs'

Champagne Football

One of those fat macho alcoholic types that needs 'the lads' around them in the pub every day to feel significant. Not surprising he's waking up in 2018 not only with a sore head but with financial nightmares, marriage nightmares and no one to listen to his old Liverpool hardman stories now that his 'mates' have moved on since the free pints on Razor days are over.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He was a no mark footballer and he's little better in retirement. Would be great to see him prosecuted for that.
As far as I'm concerned Ruddock was little better than a Sunday League Pub player.

I don’t care whether he played as a pro. He was an overweight unfit animal then and is now an even more obese disgusting animal.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Well they called him Razor for a reason! Am I right lads!!??

What a cnut. Cole has had more winners medals than Ruddock has hot dinners, and that takes a hell of a lot.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Collymore in his autobiography relayed one story where Ruddock was training on a treadmill, the coach left, he got off, and started eating some junk food instead.
When he clocked the coach coming back in, he splashed some wateron his forehead, got back on the treadmill, and the coach sees this and says "top professional"

Probably not laughing when he got booted out of Liverpool for being massively out of shape, and ending up at Swindon, where I remember he was so fat they had to make special XXXXXX shorts!

Alabaster Codify7

One of those fat macho alcoholic types that needs 'the lads' around them in the pub every day to feel significant. Not surprising he's waking up in 2018 not only with a sore head but with financial nightmares, marriage nightmares and no one to listen to his old Liverpool hardman stories now that his 'mates' have moved on since the free pints on Razor days are over.

That's the most eloquent, accurate summary of Neil Ruddock I've ever seen. 110% accurate, bravo.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I saw that episode.
His wife was running up bills that Ruddock could not pay, so the bailiffs came and Neil Ruddock had no money to pay them.
I was quite shocked to see that someone who earned so much could fall to this level. This would've been about 5 years ago. In 2018, his finances must be even worse.
In fairness, he played in the era just before wages got to the incredible levels.
Seems a bit of a thicky as well, so probably didn't make great decisions and was rinsed by his "people"

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
What do you even say to it really. I remember Keane's challenge on Alf Inge Haaland. Ben Thatcher was a thug as well with his elbow on Pedro Mendes.

Madness.
Keane's challenge on Haaland looked much worse that it actually was, and it has become one the biggest myths in the game that his career came to an end because of it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Given the institutional racism historically within football, it makes me really uncomfortable hearing about Sheringham and Ruddock 'just not liking Cole'.

Not saying they were or are racists, but it was rife in the generation they grew up in, and I find it very odd that Cole was so disliked, randomly by his own teammate and his teammate's friend, both of them being wide-boys from that generation.
You just reminded me that a poster here mentioned going up to Sheringham looking for an autograph when he was a kid only to be asked words to the effect of "What sort of name is that? You need a proper English name."

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
You just reminded me that a poster here mentioned going up to Sheringham looking for an autograph when he was a kid only to be asked words to the effect of "What sort of name is that? You need a proper English name."
Sheringham is a twat. I saw him push in front of a taxi queue outside of a club and utter the immortal words "do you know who I am?"

Andy Cole is a bit of a sensitive guy to really give a shit about a handshake but Tedward is a bellend.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Cole > Teddy.

Or when he scored that 3-3 equalizer at Anfield,I was raging after that.
Such a disappointing end to that, felt like a loss.

POF

Given the institutional racism historically within football, it makes me really uncomfortable hearing about Sheringham and Ruddock 'just not liking Cole'.

Not saying they were or are racists, but it was rife in the generation they grew up in, and I find it very odd that Cole was so disliked, randomly by his own teammate and his teammate's friend, both of them being wide-boys from that generation.
This forum is obsessed with racism. Absolutely obsessed. How in God's name do you conclude racism out of that?

You've got 2 guys in Ruddock and Sheringham who are outgoing cocky and arrogant and Cole who is quiet and introverted. It's as obvious a personality clash as you will see, but your first thought is "two white guys, one black guy, must be racist".

Jesus wept.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Ruddock has always been a poor excuse for a mouth breathing shit eater.

JohnnyKills

Swap Ruddock with Steve Bruce and Cole with Fowler and imagine the furore in the media.

Red_Ramirez

this is old news.

but yeah Ruddock is a cnut. and a pathetic excuse to assault a fellow footballer

Sheringham was a flash, big time charlie twat

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
this is old news.

but yeah Ruddock is a cnut. and a pathetic excuse to assault a fellow footballer

Sheringham was a flash, big time charlie twat
Sheringham and his mates got Matty Etherington into gambling and then basically took him for everything he had.

Devil81

Was the Sheringham thing a big deal at that time? He hadn't signed for United at the time Cole broke his legs so was there a big feud between them then?
Spot on, this injury happened before Sheringham and Cole had even had their issue. Ruddock is basically justifying his dirty fat twat antics.

AaronRedDevil

I like Ruddock, he's a bit of a nutcase and a bit funny. Love seeing him on League of their own. But make no mistake. If you're calling him scum or Whatever, then you have to say the exact same thing for Roy Keane who did the same. Otherwise it's just hypocritical.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I like Ruddock, he's a bit of a nutcase and a bit funny. Love seeing him on League of their own. But make no mistake. If you're calling him scum or Whatever, then you have to say the exact same thing for Roy Keane who did the same. Otherwise it's just hypocritical.
Whose legs did Keane break?

JohnnyKills

Agree. Although Roy Keane isn't boasting about it 20 years on.

King Eric 7

This. Our own (ex) player did it, but the fans look the other way. Both actions were scummy for me.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Everyone thought it was hilarious when the Nevilles kicked lumps out of JA Reyes. The outrage here is very hypocritical.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Everyone thought it was hilarious when the Nevilles kicked lumps out of JA Reyes. The outrage here is very hypocritical.
I think fans (and indeed players) see a big difference between deliberately hurting a player and deliberately injuring a player. Maybe it's a stupid distinction but it exists.

If he had just said he loved kicking Cole I doubt anyone would care. It's the suggestion that actually breaking Cole's legs was a deliberate choice that gets a reaction.

Fingeredmouse

I don't recall Keane deliberately breaking player's legs?

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I think fans (and indeed players) see a big difference between deliberately hurting a player and deliberately injuring a player. Maybe it's a stupid distinction but it exists.

If he had just said he loved kicking Cole I doubt anyone would care. It's the suggestion that actually breaking Cole's legs was a deliberate choice that gets a reaction.
Utter pish. Explain to me how you do a leg-breaker tackle and then explain how you temper it to make it just one that hurts a bit.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
This forum is obsessed with racism. Absolutely obsessed. How in God's name do you conclude racism out of that?

You've got 2 guys in Ruddock and Sheringham who are outgoing cocky and arrogant and Cole who is quiet and introverted. It's as obvious a personality clash as you will see, but your first thought is "two white guys, one black guy, must be racist".

Jesus wept.

Yeah, clearly obsessed.

youmeletsfly

I bet he didn t really do it on purpose and he s just talking shi7 about it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Utter pish. Explain to me how you do a leg-breaker tackle and then explain how you temper it to make it just one that hurts a bit.
I did say it was a stupid distinction tbf but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

In reality most leg breaker tackles aren't certain to break someone's legs. They're dangerous tackles that carry a risk of breaking someone's leg. Sometimes the player getting tackled gets lucky, sometimes they don't. The tackle remains the same so it's not a case of tempering it exactly.

The point is intent. I think it's a reality that a lot of players make dangerous tackles with the intent to hurt, intimidate or bully their opponent out of a game. I also think most footballers would see a difference between that intention and the intention to deliberately break their leg, thus putting them out for months or longer. That would remain the case even if the offending tackle was exactly the same.

It doesn't mean they'd be okay with the former, just that they'd see the latter as a greater offence because their opponent actively wanted the worst possible outcome.