Neil Ruddock 'deliberately broke Andy Cole's legs'

dbryan

From the BBC....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-46058896

First bit of BBC interview.

Former Liverpool defender Neil Ruddock has sparked a social media backlash over an interview in which he admitted deliberately breaking Andy Cole's legs.

In the Talksport interview, Ruddock said he had targeted Cole because of the Manchester United striker's feud with fellow England star Teddy Sheringham.

Cole was injured when Ruddock tackled him during a reserve game in 1996.

"Basically, I loved kicking Andrew Cole," Ruddock told Talksport.

"I know this is not big or clever but in one tackle I broke both his legs, because he annoyed me."

Explaining the reason for the horror tackle, which sidelined Cole for several months, Ruddock said: "I'm great friends with Teddy Sheringham and Teddy Sheringham didn't like him - and if Teddy Sheringham didn't like him, I don't like him."

Twitter users were unanimous in their disapproval of Ruddock's admission, with some noting that it was a good thing that the game had changed since the burly defender's 90s heyday.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's from an interview back in 2010 he did for TALKSPORT but has resurfaced now.

What do you even say to it really. I remember Keane's challenge on Alf Inge Haaland. Ben Thatcher was a thug as well with his elbow on Pedro Mendes.

Madness.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Is there a statute of limitations on grevious bodily harm?

I mean, he’s just straight up admitted to a crime there that carries a minimum of 3 years and maximum of 16 years.

Hawks2008

Nah c'mon mate that's just pashun and desiah right proper 'ard lad the game has gone soft..

Minimalist

Hasn't he already admitted this in a previous interview? Could swear he did.

Or at least admitted he loved hurting him.

EDIT: Just seen the bit that says it's from a previous interview.

oLeSoLsKjAeR20

Horrible fat mess of an individual. Bad enough doing that in the first place but arguably worse not growing up in the years since and instead continuing to brag and revel in it. I'm sure his family are proud of him.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Actually the first time I've heard about this.

What a joke.

Can't work out if he's more of an idiot for doing it in the first place, or owning up to it afterwards.

Probably the former.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
A bin dipper wanting to break a United player's legs. Well colour me shocked.

FujiVice

This used to happen a lot in reserve games, with no cameras present. Nicky Marker basically ended Ben Thornley's career just because he was running rings around him. Usually happens between someone who is in the reserves to get match fitness because he's actually an asset to their team and a player who cant get into his own team because he's a useless waste of space. Bitterness will lead to things like this.

Dont really give it much thought about Ruddock, though. Just look at him. Knuckle dragging fat idiot, who does reality shows not for personal wealth, but because he never took care of himself and his tax bill is sky high. When you are dealing with shitbags like that, is it any surprise?

Well done Razor. You had a 10 year career as a football during a highly profitable period where everyone made money, and you havent got a pot to piss in. Let's see where that hard man act gets you how you're a 20 stone clown running from taxman.

FujiVice

From a Liverpool blog.
One story goes that Ruddock was meant to be working his way back to fitness on a running machine in the gym, but when the physio disappeared he went off for a cuppa and a bacon butty.

Five minutes before he returned, he went back, started jogging again and threw water over himself to look like he was sweating.

Such a laugh, eh? What a guy. Leading by example. Those kids at Melwood must have been so impressed.

Ether

This is worse than when Vieira spat on him but you'd still get weirdos saying they'd rather a broken leg than being gozzed on.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
This is worse than when Vieira spat on him but you'd still get weirdos saying they'd rather a broken leg than being gozzed on.
Cole actually said himself he'd rather sit down and have a cuppa with this fat idiot as opposed to Teddy.

lsd

The Oracle
Was the Sheringham thing a big deal at that time? He hadn't signed for United at the time Cole broke his legs so was there a big feud between them then?

FujiVice

Was the Sheringham thing a big deal at that time? He hadn't signed for United at the time Cole broke his legs so was there a big feud between them then?
Cole didnt like him for not shaking his hand when he came on for his England debut. I love Coley, but he was pretty famous for blowing up over a small thing. And Sheringham is a bit of a flash git, so the personality clash was quite a big one.

Charlie Foley

Thought it had to do with Sheringham not shaking his hand when substituted for England

Decomposing In Paris

Yeah, Andy "helps orphans with aids" Cole probably deserved it.

What a prat Ruddock is, but there's no surprise he'd still be boasting about it, if he did it on purpose, it's the best-timed tackle of his career.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Saw this in the morning, really shocking stuff.

buckooo1978

he's a fat lazy mess of a man and I'd love to see him prosecuted for that

I saw an interview where he talked about breaking both Cole's legs like it was a badge of honour

iHicksy

He says "it's not big and it's not clever, but I loved it". The fact that even now, he revels in breaking someone else's legs and sounds like he'd do it again for the sheer joy of it speaks volumes about him. Absolute scum.

He was a no mark footballer and he's little better in retirement. Would be great to see him prosecuted for that.

Irwin99

I remember hearing about the tackle but i don’t think I ever saw footage . Must have been horrendous. I know Cole could be mouthy but he wasn’t a nasty player (unlike Alfie Haaland)

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Fat piece of crap deserves whatever shit life throws at him after an admission like that.

An irrelevant man trying his hardest to stay relevant. Even his wife seems to be someone from the gutter after her appearance on that bailiff programme a few years ago.

Match made in heaven.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Fat mess nicely demonstrating to the world what kind of bloke he is.

He wouldn't have lasted 2 minutes against a proper hard player.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
Amazing how many new and different ways we see everyday for someone to say, "I am a cnut"

fezzerUTD

Jim whites always banging on about rather being spat on on talkSPORT, makes my piss boil. I’d take a gozz over 2 broken legs any day of the week.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Given the institutional racism historically within football, it makes me really uncomfortable hearing about Sheringham and Ruddock 'just not liking Cole'.

Not saying they were or are racists, but it was rife in the generation they grew up in, and I find it very odd that Cole was so disliked, randomly by his own teammate and his teammate's friend, both of them being wide-boys from that generation.

Speedicut75

Never heard of this deviant before.
He always enjoyed the dubious celebrity of being a "hard man", even gaining the moniker of "razor Ruddock" ( probably self named ), and generally now swans about like a cliche from a Guy Ritche gangster flick. As a player he was fat and violent, and I can quite believe he would maim a fellow professional if he thought he could get away with it. No surprise that he ends up on TalkSport blathering on, with full Cockney patter, to Jim White about his glory days, when he used to be "naughty" and "do" players.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Old news and trying to be controversial pretending it was on purpose.

Last seen on one of those bailiff programmes over a few grand debt, it's pretty clear the money has dried up

United Junkie

You wont find a picture of this fat feck without a beer bottle or glass of liquor in his hands.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
This has been known about for years. Why is it only being discussed now?

Did anyone see him on can’t pay we’ll take it away?
I saw that episode.
His wife was running up bills that Ruddock could not pay, so the bailiffs came and Neil Ruddock had no money to pay them.
I was quite shocked to see that someone who earned so much could fall to this level. This would've been about 5 years ago. In 2018, his finances must be even worse.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The most shocking thing to me is that he’s apparently only 50. He looks like George Bernard Shaw after a month of inhaling butter.