Neil Warnock’s Top Five Premier League Managers of All Time

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think we'll get to see Jose's true managerial ability now at Spurs.

There's a lot of top managers who can go to Madrid or Man City, spend 500 million, and win all kinds of trophies over 3 seasons. But I feel the true test of a truly great manager is when they go to a 6th place club in a competitive league, not have much cash to spend and very quickly land at the top, while developing youth and playing attractive football.

Klopp did it at Liverpool. Fergie at Utd. Pochettino at Spurs. Arsene at Arsenal. But I'm not so sure Jose will do it at Spurs. I'm pretty sure he won't to be honest but he could prove me wrong. But I really think this is when we get to gauge his true level where he's finally not at a club that has 10 times more spending power than everyone else in the league, like he had at Madrid, First Chelsea stint, Inter and Porto.
Klopp didn't have much to spend? He's spent tons of money at Liverpool. What one could say is that they showed improvement before the spending so he was doing good work regardless - like Pochettino. But eventually he has spent big

InfiniteBoredom

This smells like utter bollocks to me about Fergie. He struggled at United until he had unlimited cash. He was able to bid on anyone he wanted and pay higher wages than every other club for a long time.
He got 2nd in his first full season.

Struggled for the next few years because he decided to change the dressing room culture and cleared out the booze ridden old guards. Throughout the 90s United were something like 4th in wages and transfer spend, Keane threatened to leave over a £50k/week contract at the time, and the likes of Giggs and Scholes turned down more lucrative offers from Italian giants during the period. We only really started to pay top wage at the turn of the decade after CL success and popularity in Asia brought in extra revenue, and even then under the PLC there was always a tight limit imposed on transfer.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
He got 2nd in his first full season.

Struggled for the next few years because he decided to change the dressing room culture and cleared out the booze ridden old guards. Throughout the 90s United were something like 4th in wages and transfer spend, Keane threatened to leave over a £50k/week contract at the time, and the likes of Giggs and Scholes turned down more lucrative offers from Italian giants during the period. We only really started to pay top wage at the turn of the decade after CL success and popularity in Asia brought in extra revenue, and even then under the PLC there was always a tight limit imposed on transfer.
Top wages in England.

Denis' cuff

Somebody said Wenger dragged Arsenal "kicking and screaming". He did. Literally. They had an appalling disciplinary record in his earlier days, both with fouling and red cards as well as tantrums ganging up on refs, etc. They had the worst record since Don Revie's dirty Leeds. Also, once he lost George Graham's back four, they sank, whilst United were winning three in a row and trebles. Of course, he eventually came up with the greatest team ever, to manage a couple of titles before disappearing without trace again.

Zlatattack

According to Neill Warnock;

1. Arsene Wenger
2. Pep Guardiola
3. Jurgen Klopp
4. Sir Alex
5. Jose Mourinho

What an utter tit this man is.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
According to Neill Warnock;

1. Arsene Wenger
2. Pep Guardiola
3. Jurgen Klopp
4. Sir Alex
5. Jose Mourinho

What an utter tit this man is.
I’m sure SAF will lose a lot of sleep over Neil feck face Warnock

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
To be fair I believe this followed a conversation on influence.

Very, very, very few people will argue against Ferguson being the best manager we've seen on these shores. He won trophy after trophy consistently over 2 entire decades. I don't think many will even try to debate that.

I think Warnock's point was about influence on the game here, which the likes of Wenger and Pep have had a significant impact. Training methods, philosophy etc.

Ferguson won and won and won - but perhaps did so in a traditional method (still remarkable). The likes of Pep and Wenger changed other clubs' approach to the game.

You can be the most influential without being the best.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
To be fair I believe this followed a conversation on influence.

Very, very, very few people will argue against Ferguson being the best manager we've seen on these shores. He won trophy after trophy consistently over 2 entire decades. I don't think many will even try to debate that.

I think Warnock's point was about influence on the game here, which the likes of Wenger and Pep have had a significant impact. Training methods, philosophy etc.

Ferguson won and won and won - but perhaps did so in a traditional method (still remarkable). The likes of Pep and Wenger changed other clubs' approach to the game.

You can be the most influential without being the best.
I think Ferguson always gets a bad rap within this version of events too. Just look at where Manchester United were when he arrived and how he left them for a start.

During his era, he took chances on players, he changed his style of play several times. He also changed coaching set ups and approaches as the game modernized. He developed young players from within the club to be world class talents and is responsible for nurturing Cristiano Ronaldo. He skillfully adapted players roles and functions to get the best out of his star players.

In an era where man management is so crucial, Ferguson wrote the book on that too.

Others have innovated and adapted ideas, but no one did it as well or as consistently as Sir Alex.

Hoboman

If he is talking about the most influential managers, his ranking makes sense.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
talkSPORT pay people thousands to talk shite to cause a stir. You mugs fall for it. They’re laughing.

KeanoMagicHat

There's no logic to his picks, would be some argument, albeit a very weak one, if he picked Klopp and Guardiola ahead of Ferguson but Ferguson and Wenger went head to head and Ferguson won on pretty much every level. There's no way you could put Wenger above Ferguson.

InfiniteBoredom

Top wages in England.
What do you think the ‘4th in wage/transfer spend’ referred to? It was in England.

I can’t be bothered to dig it out now but pretty sure Liverpool was the top spender in the period, and transfer record were made by the likes of Blackburn with Shearer. Not going to deny that he spent a fair bit to get his first title winning team but it was over a few years and the notion that that spending was above and beyond what every other team in the league can afford is false.

diarm

"131st ranked manager in Premier League history shares completely redundant opinion on peers who were so far ahead of his ability they may as well have been competing in a different sport".

Slow news day I reckon.

SER19

Such a sad bitter little man :lol: hell never get over getting his team relegated

Wenger who came when, 15 years before Ferguson retired, transformed the entire game... But Ferguson was in an era where it was just man management? Which is it Mr relegation fodder? You can feel his shame at being so petty leaking out of the screen.

nyanza

Career stats

Played, Won, Drawn, Lost, Win%

SAFs time at Utd
Total

Neil Warnocks entire career
Total1,48159540947740.2
You must always add Ole after signing his contract in this type of stats here.

Drainy

I laugh when people say that this manager was better at training, tactics or this manager did this or that better than SAF. Most of that is a coach and technical staff's job...

Is there actually any doubt that Sir Alex is the best at surrounding himself with the best team on and off the pitch, then organising them and motivating them to succeed?

He did it over and over again across multiple decades.

JohnnyKills

Neil Warnock judging the Premier League's best managers is a bit like Widow Twanky judging Miss World.

Woodzy

5. Klopp
4. Pep
3. Mourinho
2. Wenger
1. SAF

This is it as it stands and it’s not difficult to work out. Spots 4 and 3 maybe being reversed is the only thing that should be up for debate.

Klopp could be a lot higher in a few years. Pep will probably feck off before he achieves much more.

alexthelion

5. Klopp
4. Pep
3. Mourinho
2. Wenger
1. SAF

This is it as it stands and it’s not difficult to work out. Spots 4 and 3 maybe being reversed is the only thing that should be up for debate.

Klopp could be a lot higher in a few years. Pep will probably feck off before he achieves much more.
This is correct and what everybody should agree is the proper order.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
This is correct and what everybody should agree is the proper order.
No Frank?

I'd agree, let's see where Klopp and Pep get to once they're finished, third's in sight if Jose continues to torch his reputation in England.

Also sod off Warnock.