Neil Wood U23 manager | Fortune assistant manager

Tiber

Shame there was nothing in the Vidic link, but it did seem a bit random

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Wood, 36, who came through United’s academy as a player but never made a senior appearance, will take over as head coach with Fortune, who made 126 appearances for the club between 1999 and 2005, serving as his assistant.
Apparently Fortune worked with our reserves when he completed his coaching badges, at least as per wiki.

wolvored

Never heard of Wood. Has he coached before, elsewhere does anybody know?
Edit: Just clicked the link says he was acadamy coach, so was he any good?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Never heard of Wood. Has he coached before, elsewhere does anybody know?
Edit: Just clicked the link says he was acadamy coach, so was he any good?
He's a very talented young coach from what I was told by people at Carrington.

Bondi77

They have a tough season ahead as we have a really young side but we still should not be playing in the second tier and I find it hard to justify Chong and Gomes getting starts in the first team until they are at least killing it at this level.
Saying that, I do think Greenwood should be fast tracked into the first team as i think he is that good.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Great news. So who replaces him with the yoots?

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Fortune Assistant Manager sounds like a crappy stock exchange simulator for the Atari ST.

Reactions: Jippy

Red00012

Took my young fella for a tour of Old Trafford last season , Quinton Fortune was doing a tour with a group just ahead of us, probably a VIP package tour or something now he’s coaching our under 23’s.
Next week they will appoint one of the cleaning ladies to become our new physio.

Gopher Brown

Took my young fella for a tour of Old Trafford last season , Quinton Fortune was doing a tour with a group just ahead of us, probably a VIP package tour or something now he’s coaching our under 23’s.
Next week they will appoint one of the cleaning ladies to become our new physio.
Ole out, Brenda in.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
For some reason neil wood is extremely well rated in football manager. That’s all I got on the lad...

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Well thought of at United as @Adnan alluded too, also we pursued him after he was getting glowing reports as a part of Aston Villa's academy set-up.
That’s good to hear, it’s a low bar as well from Sbragia so no pressure :D

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Well thought of at United as @Adnan alluded too, also we pursued him after he was getting glowing reports as a part of Aston Villa's academy set-up.
His work at Villa was very impressive by all accounts. He's still very young at 36 for a coach, but from what I was told, is that he's a very forward thinking attack minded coach.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Neil Wood playing for our u17s against Crystal Palace 20 years ago.

GJNJ

They have a tough season ahead as we have a really young side but we still should not be playing in the second tier and I find it hard to justify Chong and Gomes getting starts in the first team until they are at least killing it at this level.
Saying that, I do think Greenwood should be fast tracked into the first team as i think he is that good.
Wasn't Chong voted player of the year for the u23's?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Can't be any worse than Sbragia anyway

In Rainbows

Gomes already killed it at that level last season. Can't blame him for being in the 2nd division.

Wasn't Chong voted player of the year for the u23's?
Yeah, but it should have gone to Gomes.

Grande

His work at Villa was very impressive by all accounts. He's still very young at 36 for a coach, but from what I was told, is that he's a very forward thinking attack minded coach.
My impression was that he was seen as of the same football type ilk as McKenna. Which is different from Mourinho and different from Sbragia. If that says something about our direction under Solskjær and Butt, I must say it is a positive sounding development.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
My impression was that he was seen as of the same football type ilk as McKenna. Which is different from Mourinho and different from Sbragia. If that says something about our direction under Solskjær and Butt, I must say it is a positive sounding development.
It seems we're looking to instill the same style of play from the first team, all the way down the youth levels. It's something Rio Ferdinand even alluded to and that's the feeling I'm getting too.

Grande

It seems we're looking to instill the same style of play from the first team, all the way down the youth levels. It's something Rio Ferdinand even alluded to and that's the feeling I'm getting too.
Yes, Ferguson generally did want us to go the Cruyff/Barca/Ajax way in that respect. (As did I). Meulensteen was part of that way of thought, and Pogba, Lingard, Morrison, Januzaj, Pereira was results of that line of thought. My impression was that after Moyes came, that was all more or less thrown out the window.

If we don’t have a football director, we certainly seem to be in the process of doing things in a more coherent level in different areas. Even Casey Stoney seems to me she could step into either of the roles of Solskjær, Phelan, Carrick, McKenna, Butt and Wood without much trouble. (Maybe she is our behind-the-scenes DoF?)

Robbo*

Has anyone seen a rough U23 squad posted? I’m definitely going to try go to the Checkatrade away games, and possibly couple of league ones too.

jb8521

Has anyone seen a rough U23 squad posted? I’m definitely going to try go to the Checkatrade away games, and possibly couple of league ones too.
Obviously could change with players leaving on loan or permanently but right now it's Henderson O'Hara, Kovar, Woolston, Carney, Fojticek, O'Connor, Laird, Tanner, Borthwick-Jackson, Mitchell, Taylor, Ercolani, Bernard, Williams, Garner, Galbraith, Levitt, Puigmal, Barlow, Gomes, Traore, McGhee, Hamilton, Burkart, Chong, Ramazani, Mellor. Greenwood is still an u18 player but unlikely to play for them.

Bestietom

Yes, it's certainly looking that way, which is good.

Mickson

What a great coach he is. Doesn't matter which players he has at his disposal, his team plays great football and gets results with a very clear style of football regardless of who plays. Seems so calm and competent every time he talks. It's very hard to judge a coach ut U23-level but he seems like a future manager at a good level. When he talks, you listen. That kind of guy.