6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

Good CM, but not a very good DM. His strength this season has been all on the ball, being available for passes, keeping things ticking over and occasionally finding a good forward pass.

Defensively he's nowhere near aggressive or strong enough in the tackle, eluded easily by opposition players who play freely around him. People want to blame Pogba because he's weaker still defensively, but often its not Pogba's area thats exploited. Its all areas of our midfield including Matic's. He's closer to replacing Carrick's passing than he is replacing his defending.

Patrick08

If Mourinho is too reliant on him, this is what we will get from time to time. He should not be the first choice main midfielder next season and this is not an overreaction after the loss.

We need 3 midfield players next season and he should be a rotation option.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
This might be quite controversial but we might need an upgrade on Matic, he's way too slow not just moving but has the ball for too too long. He had a good season overall but for sure he shouldn't be untouchable and is not better than Herrera who should share some gametime. About sums Mourinho as well, instead of clever dynamic player with enough bite and great technique to move the ball quick in Spaniard who absolutely idiotically went off in the half time, he just like to play tanks. Matic is a great player but hardly the ideal option in combination with Pogba, I even think that Herrera made Pogba play way better too. Of course in the beginning of the season when we were fresh and played some shit teams it looked good but that can often be misleading in long term.

Matic hasnt been as good as people think for a long time, good buy, but let's not build around him

R'hllor

We need a new DM and use him in rotation. Problem is, our manager is freaking clueless when it comes to rotating a squad and after his last quotes about why nobody asking him why Matic plays, like he is example of 9/10 every game, it will never happen.

Devil may care

I'm guessing he stayed on today because he's the only CM we have that Jose sees as a holder, but his untouchable status will be a problem if it continues next season.

Canagel

This might be quite controversial but we might need an upgrade on Matic, he's way too slow not just moving but has the ball for too too long. He had a good season overall but for sure he shouldn't be untouchable and is not better than Herrera who should share some gametime. About sums Mourinho as well, instead of clever dynamic player with enough bite and great technique to move the ball quick in Spaniard who absolutely idiotically went off in the half time, he just like to play tanks. Matic is a great player but hardly the ideal option in combination with Pogba, I even think that Herrera made Pogba play way better too. Of course in the beginning of the season when we were fresh and played some shit teams it looked good but that can often be misleading in long term.

Matic hasnt been as good as people think for a long time, good buy, but let's not build around him
It's not controversial at all. Matic is one of Mourinho's most trusted players and for some reason plays every minute of every game even he is playing bad. Lukaku is another untouchable. He is guilty of slow sideways passing as much as anyone and when he pushes forward and loses the ball there's a huge gap between our defence and midfield that he can't cover. His defending from setpieces is rubbish for a tall player. I don't think he's a good partner for Pogba either. That might be controversial but Pogba played better with Carrick holding last season and even Herrera as the number 6. There was more speed and zip in our passing back then but Matic is just too slow in every thing. Sometimes I ask myself if this guy is drunk or something. He does some weird things sometimes. I think he'll have to be replaced soon which is crazy but he was always going to be a short term solution. Don't think he'll last at 35/36 like Carrick. Carrick is by far the more intelligent and clever passer. He didn't have to rely on his physical attributes but Matic I think he'll be done in 2/3 years. Pogba gets a lot of stick from fans but this guy seems immune to criticism. It's like they don't even watch the games.

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Good season, better than I'd hoped for, but he's had a few absolute stinkers and today was the worst.
Yes. His recent slump will probably mean that Dave will yet again be the POTY for us. I personally think Matic has been our most consistent performer and instrumental in our progression, but today he really was atrocious.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
We desperately someone who can cover for him / provide some competition. If you compare yesterday's performance with those at the start of the season it looks like a different player. Yesterday he was the main culprit for me when it came to taking too many touches on the ball and not moving the ball quickly enough. I like him but performances like yesterday drive me up the wall, the way to break through a well organised defence is to keep the ball moving quickly, the extra touches are completely unnecessary.

Greck

It's not controversial at all. Matic is one of Mourinho's most trusted players and for some reason plays every minute of every game even he is playing bad. Lukaku is another untouchable. He is guilty of slow sideways passing as much as anyone and when he pushes forward and loses the ball there's a huge gap between our defence and midfield that he can't cover. His defending from setpieces is rubbish for a tall player. I don't think he's a good partner for Pogba either. That might be controversial but Pogba played better with Carrick holding last season and even Herrera as the number 6. There was more speed and zip in our passing back then but Matic is just too slow in every thing. Sometimes I ask myself if this guy is drunk or something. He does some weird things sometimes. I think he'll have to be replaced soon which is crazy but he was always going to be a short term solution. Don't think he'll last at 35/36 like Carrick. Carrick is by far the more intelligent and clever passer. He didn't have to rely on his physical attributes but Matic I think he'll be done in 2/3 years. Pogba gets a lot of stick from fans but this guy seems immune to criticism. It's like they don't even watch the games.
it's like he has to count his toes before deciding what to do with the ball. I just normally assume he's under instruction to lower the tempo of the game. Not sure why we've built our central midfield around so many stiffs

Greck

We need a new DM and use him in rotation. Problem is, our manager is freaking clueless when it comes to rotating a squad and after his last quotes about why nobody asking him why Matic plays, like he is example of 9/10 every game, it will never happen.
Would love to see the conversation when Jose goes to ask the board for a Matic replacement in a year.

Ekeke

Would love to see the conversation when Jose goes to ask the board for a Matic replacement in a year.
I don't think he automatically needs a replacement. Just someone to help cover his deficiencies.
A 3 man midfield with Pogba, Matic and someone who is defensive minded to track back when Matic is dozing but also has some confidence on the ball. Ander seems to have lost his confidence on the ball so thats where it could be an improvement, and with the competition perhaps Ander finds his again and then we have 2 good options.

In Rainbows

Yes. His recent slump will probably mean that Dave will yet again be the POTY for us. I personally think Matic has been our most consistent performer and instrumental in our progression, but today he really was atrocious.
I strongly disagree with this. Matic was clearly mediocre after that fantastic start. The fans on this very forum were saying this up until Palace or right before that. He turned his form around since that time and that was when everybody else received heavy criticism. So the time when the club was at its worst in regards to perception, he was great. He's a bit lucky that happened, otherwise he would be getting more criticism.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/nemanja-matić-2017-18-performances.431155/page-63

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I strongly disagree with this. Matic was clearly mediocre after that fantastic start. The fans on this very forum were saying this up until Palace or right before that. He turned his form around since that time and that was when everybody else received heavy criticism. So the time when the club was at its worst in regards to perception, he was great. He's a bit lucky that happened, otherwise he would be getting more criticism.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/nemanja-matić-2017-18-performances.431155/page-63
So he started off fantastic, had a dip, then played very well again. That would make him more consistent than every other player in our team, bar De Gea (and, at a push, Lingard). So why do you "strongly disagree" that he's been our most consistent performer?

Yagami

Good post resistant
I think he's been very consistent. Haven't seen a bad performance from him yet. He shouldn't be our DM, though - that should be Herrera with Matic being our box to box player. Swap their roles and I'd bet big on both of their performances going up a level.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

What Pogue said.

Member 85611

Jose is not clueless about rotating. He is just stubborn as it's his "philosophy" of never rotating.

Guess why SAF won so many titles? Rotation played a big role (hungry, motivated players that get a chance want to prove themselves obviously).

Last edited by a moderator:

AR87

My 2 biggest issues with him are his atrocious marking on set pieces which I brought up on the pod last week and that, as many have already stated, he often takes far too long on the ball.

He like many of our attackers also prefers to try and force passes centrally rather than playing the ball quickly outside when we have somebody there in space. Him Pogba Sanchez and Herrera did this an absurd amount of times against West Brom.

In Rainbows

So he started off fantastic, had a dip, then played very well again. That would make him more consistent than every other player in our team, bar De Gea (and, at a push, Lingard). So why do you "strongly disagree" that he's been our most consistent performer?
Because he hasn't. I would easily put Lukaku above Matic, who besides that 12 match dip early on has been solid to good the rest of the time. I think Matic's dip was a lot longer than Lukaku's, but it went under the radar because he's not an easy target. The scope is never on him like it was for Rashford, Pogba, Martial, Lingard, etc... who all have fans and detractors.

One just has to look at the City match. Who was receiving the bulk of the criticism in midfield? Pogba, followed by Herrera even though Matic was clearly the worst midfielder that day. All of this has to do with expectations and Matic doesn't have those same expectations as say Pogba, because of price tag. However, that has nothing to do with a discussion involving his actual level of play.

And so I just disagree with your assessment of Matic. I thought he was great to start the season and then clearly fell below that level for a good part of the season up until the end of February.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Because he hasn't. I would easily put Lukaku above Matic, who besides that 12 match dip early on has been solid to good the rest of the time. I think Matic's dip was a lot longer than Lukaku's, but it went under the radar because he's not an easy target. The scope is never on him like it was for Rashford, Pogba, Martial, Lingard, etc... who all have fans and detractors.

One just has to look at the City match. Who was receiving the bulk of the criticism in midfield? Pogba, followed by Herrera even though Matic was clearly the worst midfielder that day. All of this has to do with expectations and Matic doesn't have those same expectations as say Pogba, because of price tag. However, that has nothing to do with a discussion involving his actual level of play.

And so I just disagree with your assessment of Matic. I thought he was great to start the season and then clearly fell below that level for a good part of the season up until the end of February.
That is one game. And with regards to the expectations, I don't think Pogba has been slated because he's not played blinders. It's to do with positional sense, discipline and teamwork. That's where Matic can't really be faulted. He's had a few below par games but by and large he's been our most dependable outfield player (with view to what his actual role is). Like other players, he was great at the start and faded somewhat. Lukaku and Jesse are the two other players I'd say come closest and maybe Young. The rest have been very inconsistent.

Acole9

Outstanding
Herrera and Pogba were crap but he should've been subbed before they were. He was taking far too many touches on the ball.

Andersons Dietician

I was an avid supporter of his signing and thought he would be a great addition and for the most part he has. However I just have this feeling like his shelf life is fast approaching. He also for whatever reason takes an age to make a decision and slows a lot of stuff up. Could just be tired this late in the season.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He was absolutely class today, always made the right decision and very rarely seemed to loose the ball

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Quality today. My MotM, although Smalling and Sanchez were also excellent. Can't understand what game the critics were watching. Even at the start of the game when Pogba kept getting roasted and Herrera was invisible, Nemanja was holding his own against the Spurs midfield. The way he both keeps possession and keeps the ball moving forward at the same time is great to watch.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Superb performance today. I’ve given the game a second watch and the simple things he does and the situations that he closes down are invaluable to the team. I have him 7 in the ratings but I think he deserved an 8.

Mickfoley

I thought he was average today, his lack of mobility is an increasing issue IMO.
What are you on about? He was excellent.
I don't get how he's so underappreciated here. He's our most consistent outfield player and has deservedly started most games for us.

Canagel

I don't deny his skills as a DM but players like him are the reason why we can be so sluggish and devoid of intensity sometimes. When you face teams who press you need maximum two touches. One touch to control and one touch to release a free man. Sometimes even one pass in between midfielders is required. At this level you need do know what to do with the ball before it reaches you. It's the difference between creating a goal scoring oppotrrunity at the other end or not. One second too much and the chance is gone. Probably this is a team issue but Matic slows things down too much. It's not only him. Valencia, Young and Jones are all culpable of it.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He’s been the difference for so many points for us this season. My player of the year bar a rusty patch in January.

criticalanalysis

So good at shielding the ball. Love it.
Surprised people don't rave about this more.

His calmness on it, the spatial awareness to the feints, the arm out to hold off players then a little neat turn to open up his passing options is so so effective whilst surrounded by a couple of players. It's really good to watch.

criticalanalysis

I don't deny his skills as a DM but players like him are the reason why we can be so sluggish and devoid of intensity sometimes. When you face teams who press you need maximum two touches. One touch to control and one touch to release a free man. Sometimes even one pass in between midfielders is required. At this level you need do know what to do with the ball before it reaches you. It's the difference between creating a goal scoring oppotrrunity at the other end or not. One second too much and the chance is gone. Probably this is a team issue but Matic slows things down too much. It's not only him. Valencia, Young and Jones are all culpable of it.
There's no doubting he and most of our players are guilty of holding it too long but imo part of that is because 1) we don't set up to play it out from the back (i.e no patterns of play) and 2) our centre backs are terrible at it.

Getting the ball from the back to the opposition's half is about releasing early and taking less touches, it's about coordinated team movements and passing ability. Smalling and Jones are farrr too comfortable playing it back to De Gea.

Devil may care

I don't get how he's so underappreciated here. He's our most consistent outfield player and has deservedly started most games for us.
Well you're entitled your view, I think he has had some very good games for us, but there are a number of games where his slowness and lack of mobility are a hinderance, today both Eriksen and Dembele ran off him and past him too easily on more than one occassions, and he dwells on the ball too much.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I think the poster you are quoting are trying to justify his posts when we bought him. Arguably our most consistent, influential and probably best outfield player this year.

I dont think he lacks mobility either. Carrick was often accused of the same around the same time in his carrier. Its not about that. Its about positional awareness and what area of the pitch they find important protecting.

Matic is quite similar to Carrick in several aspects of his play. He lacks Carricks passing, but he is a better dribbler and better in 1v1 in defence. Probably somewhere in between Keane and Carrick in terms of style. Carrick and Alonso reached their peak in 12/13 at 32. If that turns out to be the case for Matic, who is quite similar he will peak in 19/20. And Matic appears to be «naturally fit».

One of our best purchases this decade.

I love this piece where Michael Carrick explain how to play deep in 433;

“Avoid getting dragged out wide, leaving space in the middle for players to run into – this puts your centre-backs under pressure. Sometimes the danger is out wide and you’ve got to deal with it, but make sure you’ve got cover. But if you’re being hit on the counter-attack and you’re the only midfielder, you don’t want to be going out wide – let them have it and try to delay them so you can get bodies back.”

“Shut off the angles. If you press the player on the ball you’re creating space in behind you and they can pass into that space. Force the opposition to play the ball where you want. Do this by stepping off the player you’re marking and drawing them into a pass, then trying to intercept it.

https://www.google.no/amp/s/www.fou...hael-carrick-protecting-back-four?_format=amp

AgentP

One of the reasons we have done so well against the bigger teams is Matic. Still can't believe Chelsea sold him to us.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Well you're entitled your view, I think he has had some very good games for us, but there are a number of games where his slowness and lack of mobility are a hinderance, today both Eriksen and Dembele ran off him and past him too easily on more than one occassions, and he dwells on the ball too much.
Mayb you could give an example to when in the game that happened our to periods in the game where that happened? I just saw the first half again, and it did not happen once.

Status
Not open for further replies.