Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
At fault for both goals, failed to track Eriksen on the right side and gave him acres of room.

Rossa

At fault for both goals, failed to track Eriksen on the right side and gave him acres of room.
I agree. I thought he was terrible. Smalling had to bail him out once as well when Dele was free after Matic lost the ball.

The way Matic casually jogged back when Eriksen was free down the right was painful to watch. Why Jones pushed up when Shaw already had pushed up is, however, beyond me.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I agree. I thought he was terrible. Smalling had to bail him out once as well when Dele was free after Matic lost the ball.

The way Matic casually jogged back when Eriksen was free down the right was painful to watch. Why Jones pushed up when Shaw already had pushed up is, however, beyond me.
Defending requires brains unfortunately.. he's just painfully average and made of glass it appears.

Footyislife

Probably going to get Mou fired again. Same issue as the year after Chelsea won the title.

He's too slow/lacks agility to cover space as a DM. Creates a lack of balance in our team which forces Mou to play our FBs & other CM's more conservatively. And when he doesn't do that you see what happened today...

As much as I think he's a decent player, he doesn't fit our style. Herrera/Fred/Pogba are a more well balanced trio. Even Pereira is a better option at this point with this superior mobility and passing range. Only time I'd start Matic is if we are away on a small pitch against a tough opponent.

Long term, if we aren't grooming TFM for that DM role, it's the top position we need to address so we can play with balance.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He is our engine and heart to the midfield. However you could tell he was rusty as hell today. That move he tried to do to get away from Ali and (?), has worked for him 99/100 times and it’s what we admire of him in midfield. Big, strong and very good at getting him self out of tight places in midfield. This has created space for other players and he’s always kept play moving simply and effectively.

His game vs Spurs was a right off.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Probably going to get Mou fired again. Same issue as the year after Chelsea won the title.

He's too slow/lacks agility to cover space as a DM. Creates a lack of balance in our team which forces Mou to play our FBs & other CM's more conservatively. And when he doesn't do that you see what happened today...

As much as I think he's a decent player, he doesn't fit our style. Herrera/Fred/Pogba are a more well balanced trio. Even Pereira is a better option at this point with this superior mobility and passing range. Only time I'd start Matic is if we are away on a small pitch against a tough opponent.

Long term, if we aren't grooming TFM for that DM role, it's the top position we need to address so we can play with balance.
I don't think its that he doesn't fit your style, he is just passed it and has lost pretty much all mobility

Its why we got rid of him as the midfield was being exposed so much

el3mel

What is our style that Matic doesn't fit ?

Also didn't we play Herrera as DMF when we finished 6th ? Didn't we play Periera against Brigton and our midfield still looked rubbish.

He's far from the problem.

Devil may care

Pobably shouldn't play against Burnley, he can use the International break to get his fitness up to scratch.

DRM

I was watching the goals again, he was responsible for both. Twice he let erikson roam free to pick a pass.

It's clear he wasn't fit for this. Herrera shouldve started and man marked Erikson.

Footyislife

What is our style that Matic doesn't fit ?

Also didn't we play Herrera as DMF when we finished 6th ? Didn't we play Periera against Brigton and our midfield still looked rubbish.

He's far from the problem.
We sit deep soak up pressure and then try to score on the counter. Other times we move the ball around slowly hoping we get lucky and create something. Not sure how having a savy old Serbian who's physically past it, but can pass decently helps when you have Pogba/Fred/Sanchez/Herrera/Pereira who can dictate play & move the ball around equally as well if not better.

Defensively he's probably near the bottom due to his lack of mobility. Heck even Fellaini would be better defensively than Matic. Let that sink in, watch the season where Mou got fired from Chelsea and wonder why we play Matic every game. It's idiotic, forces our FB's to play more conservatively to prevent gaps & doesn't allow the other midfielders to roam forward. And then we wonder why we can't score... Or like last game when he does play more expansive we leave gaps Matic can't close and concede easily.

People were comparing Herrera to Kante when Mou played him there. Suffice to say until this year, the issue has always been that we can't consistency create chances to score and had too many draws.

Yeah not a big fan of Pereira as the DM, but going by what we have available now i'd use him at home against weaker teams cause how good his passing range is over what Matic brings to the table.

el3mel

We sit deep soak up pressure and then try to score on the counter. Other times we move the ball around slowly hoping we get lucky and create something. Not sure how having a savy old Serbian who's physically past it, but can pass decently helps when you have Pogba/Fred/Sanchez/Herrera/Pereira who can dictate play & move the ball around equally as well if not better.

Defensively he's probably near the bottom due to his lack of mobility. Heck even Fellaini would be better defensively than Matic. Let that sink in, watch the season where Mou got fired from Chelsea and wonder why we play Matic every game. It's idiotic, forces our FB's to play more conservatively to prevent gaps & doesn't allow the other midfielders to roam forward. And then we wonder why we can't score... Or like last game when he does play more expansive we leave gaps Matic can't close and concede easily.

People were comparing Herrera to Kante when Mou played him there. Suffice to say until this year, the issue has always been that we can't consistency create chances to score and had too many draws.

Yeah not a big fan of Pereira as the DM, but going by what we have available now i'd use him at home against weaker teams cause how good his passing range is over what Matic brings to the table.
You're severely exaggerating with these bold parts.

The guy had a surgery few weeks ago and didn't even train for 2 months. What were you expecting ? He's completely off his fitness his level. Give him a break.

Bobski

The guy had a surgery few weeks ago and didn't even train for 2 months. What were you expecting ? He's completely off his fitness his level. Give him a break.
Fair, but there is an element of truth there. So much of the focus is on the defenders but our midfield is hardly exceptional defensively and Matic needs to be used in very specific ways for him to be effective in that side of the game. If the game gets stretched he can struggle.

Member 5225

So basically he was amazing for half a season last season, decent during the second half of the season last season, and is what most of the pessimists has feared when we had signed him so far.

Footyislife

Lol wouldnt make a significant difference. Ask any Chelsea fan about the season Mou got fired what the issue was.

I like him, but the dude is too slow & we build the team to compensate for his weakness which is idiotic considering he doesn't really have any strengths. Play him at home against the weaker sides like Carrick, just don't start him when you don't need to.

It's a series of small stupid decisions that turn into big mistakes. Don't play Herrera at RCB cause you're mad Bailly gave up a penalty when Fred lost the ball in a terrible spot.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
So basically he was amazing for half a season last season, decent during the second half of the season last season, and is what most of the pessimists has feared when we had signed him so far.
He was struggling in the 2nd half because Mourinho kept running him to the ground. Playing him every match and for 90+ min. It was the worst possible management for a player of that age and that style. Early signs don't look good either if he is ready to rush for a big game like that after a serious surgery and zero match fitness.
Matic is a great player but Mourinho is ruining him and will ruin him little by little

el3mel

Lol wouldnt make a significant difference. Ask any Chelsea fan about the season Mou got fired what the issue was.

I like him, but the dude is too slow & we build the team to compensate for his weakness which is idiotic considering he doesn't really have any strengths. Play him at home against the weaker sides like Carrick, just don't start him when you don't need to.

It's a series of small stupid decisions that turn into big mistakes. Don't play Herrera at RCB cause you're mad Bailly gave up a penalty when Fred lost the ball in a terrible spot.
Everyone was crap in this Mourinho season, Hazard, Costa, Ivanovic, everyone. Why are you thinking Matic was the reason he was sacked ? He definitely not. I think Hazard and Ivanovic were the bigger culprits.

Matic was a key part in the team that won the league just the following season.

Litch

If we were brilliant and he caused the goals than fine but that was not the case. Maybe instances where he could have done better but he's way, way down the list to point fingers at.

Footyislife

Everyone was crap in this Mourinho season, Hazard, Costa, Ivanovic, everyone. Why are you thinking Matic was the reason he was sacked ? He definitely not. I think Hazard and Ivanovic were the bigger culprits.

Matic was a key part in the team that won the league just the following season.
And that was 3 yrs ago and only because they bought Kante to do the defending!

Don't have anything against him, just think the way Mourinho plays using him is outdated and makes us look terrible when we have a dozen other excellent players. When we get a new manager by Christmas you'll see.

Either all our defenders and attackers turned to shit suddenly or our manager plays a stupid philosophy centered around fitting his "trusted" players instead of creating an environment that makes everyone better. That's my issue really.

el3mel

And that was 3 yrs ago and only because they bought Kante to do the defending!

Don't have anything against him, just think the way Mourinho plays using him is outdated and makes us look terrible when we have a dozen other excellent players. When we get a new manager by Christmas you'll see.

Either all our defenders and attackers turned to shit suddenly or our manager plays a stupid philosophy centered around fitting his "trusted" players instead of creating an environment that makes everyone better. That's my issue really.
He was a key part of a title winning season 2 years. He was replaced by Bakayoko and Chelsea looked pretty crap even with Kante still playing. It's unfair to say Kante was the only reason Matic was good this season.

Footyislife

He was a key part of a title winning season 2 years. He was replaced by Bakayoko and Chelsea looked pretty crap even with Kante still playing. It's unfair to say Kante was the only reason Matic was good this season.
Again not saying he wasn't good in his role there alongside Kante. Bakayoko is just so bad can't even compare.

I'm saying he fails when you don't pair him with a defensive midfielder because he's just past his peak physically. Sure he's useful situationally, but the only role he fits at well is one we just bought Fred to play.

Our midfield just makes no sense is all I'm saying. Not saying the individual players themselves are terrible, more so how they are being deployed.

R'hllor

He cant get JM fired again because he didnt do it first time either. JM fired JM, same thing in Chelsea, some where downing tools, didnt want to play for him and he still was picking them.

Same shit as last night, Matic had no place to be there in first XI but he was picked yet again, because of something. Picking player barely fit to walk over fit AP or any other fit option to be a shield for weak defense (in JM`s eyes), logic right there. Then people came out last night, saying how JM did nothing wrong, he is 100% faultless etc.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
We are forgetting he is just back from surgery? Of course we are.

I wish however he was a more vocal leader type because he is at the perfect age/position to be captain.
No we're not, which boggles the mind as to why he's thrown out there to start in a big game when we had players who were more ready than him.

Burnley 0:2 Man Utd

Irwin99

Played very well I thought even if he was overshadowed by Pogba and Fellaini . Has he retired from internationals yet?

MadMike

I feel like he's walking around too much and is too casual with his passing. I rated him lowest of the team, besides Rashford.

First half in particular he gave the ball away quite a few times with bad simple passes. Fellaini actually protected the defence today better than Matic did last game, as well.

I can attribute all this to him not being fully fit yet, but then maybe he shouldn't be starting. I wanted him subbed for Fred in the second.

Andersons Dietician

I feel like he's walking around too much and is too casual with his passing. I rated him lowest of the team, besides Rashford.

First half in particular he gave the ball away quite a few times with bad simple passes. Fellaini actually protected the defence today better than Matic did last game, as well.

I can attribute all this to him not being fully fit yet, but then maybe he shouldn't be starting. I wanted him subbed for Fred in the second.
Felt the same, again probably due to not being fit but parts of his game are super annoying. He does tend to casually stroll about and casually pass on responsibility and some really lazy passes which were things he did last year as well but he just seemed meh today.

el3mel

Thought he had a pretty good game away from the red. Out for 1 match, not much of a problem.

MadMike

He had a meh first half but he really came alive in the second when Pog and Fellaini started to run out of legs.

Shame abou the red but since Wolves lack height and strength in midfield it's a good game for Fred to make his return. Or for Pereira.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He’s so insanely critical to our team. There’s very few - if any players - in the world that are physical beasts in defence and in the air and can still dribble their way out of tight spaces like Messi. Has also got the energy of two/three players to boot. He’s not a Mbappe or Neymar but absolutely critical

PoTMS

Don't think he'll be much of a miss. Second half he played better but he's had a relatively poor season by his standards thus far. Pereira has certainly not played any worse than him.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Both if his yellows were taken for the team for me, shame but he's been good. First half I couldn't really figure out at first what's his role but I believe it's to close down the space and work on our transitions, he's very good with that and it goes unnoticed. Second half he was probably one of our best players when things were going against us.

Devil may care

This new #8 role we are using him is an awkward fit given he's not a great passer nor does he have an engine on him to get around, silly second yellow to get for a guy of his experience as well.

Irwin99

Played pretty well I thought. His passing was decent and he was moving the ball quickly and with purpose. Shame about the red card but it's only one game.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Showed some good stuff and at least he had the fire in the second half, opposed to Pogba who seemed to be under the impression that because of his truly majestic first half performance he could just fanny around for parts of the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.