Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

R'hllor

He's harshly treated and criticized a lot here for no reason. He's of course past his best and not suitable for every game but still a useful player nevertheless and a good squad option to have with his experience in how to use the ball when he has it.
Yea, nah.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Back from vacations. I don't think he played badly, he did an OK match. Probably our most composed player on the ball, and that says much.

OldTrevil

He was decent against Arsenal, one of 3 or 4 players that should not be embarrassed with their performances.

Maticmaker

Matic can still do a job in midfield for us, especially whilst McTominay and Pogba are missing, but not in a two man midfield show such as we had yesterday; he needs young legs around him to cover the ground and put in the bursts forward.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Played probably the best pass of the match for Pereira who should of scored.

It's fair to say the fact Matic is no longer our biggest problem isn't a good thing :lol:

TrustInOle

In the space of 2 injuries, the man is vitaly important to us again and hope his performances continue to pick up.

Dve

United´s best player vs Arsenal, in my opinion. Now that we´re once again left with only 2 senior players to fill 2 positions at DM, there is no way he´ll be sold in January, and of course, neither should he be.

OldTrevil

Matic can still do a job in midfield for us, especially whilst McTominay and Pogba are missing, but not in a two man midfield show such as we had yesterday; he needs young legs around him to cover the ground and put in the bursts forward.
Andreas would have been so much better than Lingard because he brings some defensive steel and mobility, I still can't believe Ole chose the latter especially after the Burnley performance.

With our current situation, a midfiled of Matic/Fred/Andreas or Matic/Fred/Garner or Matic/Fred/Gomes is always better than any which includes Matic with Mata or Lingard.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I’m not sure what people saw here. I thought he was terrible in defending, didn’t help Shaw when he was attacked by Ozil, Pepe & Maitland. Defensively he’s just ball watching, which what makes the difference between him & Fred or McTominay. As a midfield myself I hate a midfielder who doesn’t follow their man and ball watching, this is why I criticised Matic on this.

But I have to give some credit on his passing today, definitely good in keeping possession and his play on Pereira’s chance was very good.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Ole:

"Nemanja will stay," Solskjaer said. "He's been working hard to get back in and now he's here and he's playing well."
Matic is out of contract at the end of the season but United have the option of an additional year to tie him to the club until 2021. Solskjaer refused to rule out a new deal altogether, though.

"There's always a chance [of a new contract], of course there is," he added. "It's what you do on the pitch that's the decisive factor. That's football.

"If someone drops out you have to be ready and take your opportunity and I think he's done okay."

zenith

No way that he's staying beyond the summer. The club would look to trigger the one year extension and take whatever pittance for him and run. Best, I could see us getting is around 10 million from one of the Italian clubs.

Wolves 0:0 Man Utd

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
All of his starts this season:

United 1-0 Astana
AZ 0-0 United
United 4-0 AZ
United 1-0 Leicester
West Ham 2-0 United
Burnley 0-2 United
Arsenal 2-0 United
United 4-0 Colchester
Wolves 0-0 United

With Matic: 7 clean sheets in 9 games
Without Matic: 3 clean sheets in 22 games

I don't think it's a coincidence. As bad as he is, the reality is that he's the only pure #6 in our squad. We desperately need a new #6 in the summer.

Man Utd 1:3 Man City

el3mel

Quality.

Improved us a lot when he was introduced and finally we started to look like as if we have a proper midfield again.

He hasn't played much this season so he's still fresh. Can have an impactful second half of a season with us if our useless manager started to trust him a little bit.

Based Adnan

I don't know why Ole would rather play the non entity Lingard at 10 instead of playing Matic.

MOTM today for me.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Decent game today. We were getting drowned in midfield and were desperate for a change, and that change came too late. To Matic's credit he came in and done what he was asked to do.

Quality.

Improved us a lot when he was introduced and finally we started to look like as if we have a proper midfield again.

He hasn't played much this season so he's still fresh. Can have an impact second half of a season with us if our useless manager started to trust him a little bit.
Alienated by Ole though because it's popular. Just like selling Fellaini, Smalling, Lukaku, Sanchez.

I love him doing all the popular stuff, we're so much better for it :drool:

Matic will be better than prime Andreas even when he's 55, only our manager would think otherwise.

el3mel

Alienated by Ole though because it's popular. Just like selling Fellaini, Smalling, Lukaku, Sanchez.

I love him doing all the popular stuff, we're so much better for it :drool:

Matic will be better than prime Andreas even when he's 55, only our manager would think otherwise.
I remember posters here having absolutely no problem with the idea of him leaving in Jan even with no replacement! I don't get it. Guy is the only proper DMF we have bar Scott. Would have been a disaster.

Stadjer

Looked better when he came on. Not sure if it was because Matic came on or because Lingard was not on the pitch anymore.

Master Yoda

Too slow and one of the reasons why we lost today. Hopefuly we sell Matic. Fred cant do it on his own and is dragged down by static players like Matic as shown in the first half. Matic never should have played. Get him out

MetoTTT

Very good today. OGS has to explain why not playing him instead of playing 1 man midfield (Fred) vs City.

R'hllor

He shouldnt be in the club, dunno why he survived last summer. City backed off and gave him tones of time on the ball tonight.

Thiagoal

Too slow and one of the reasons why we lost today. Hopefuly we sell Matic. Fred cant do it on his own and is dragged down by static players like Matic as shown in the first half. Matic never should have played. Get him out
You realise we won 1-0 with him on the pitch?
Can’t help but think his decent form of late is him playing for a bumper final contract (at a new club)

Master Yoda

All of his starts this season:

United 1-0 Astana
AZ 0-0 United
United 4-0 AZ
United 1-0 Leicester
West Ham 2-0 United
Burnley 0-2 United
Arsenal 2-0 United
United 4-0 Colchester
Wolves 0-0 United

With Matic: 7 clean sheets in 9 games
Without Matic: 3 clean sheets in 22 games

I don't think it's a coincidence. As bad as he is, the reality is that he's the only pure #6 in our squad. We desperately need a new #6 in the summer.
No clean sheet today.

criticalanalysis

If he's fit he should always start in a proper midfield three with any of Fred, McTominay, Peirera and Pogba.

Side note - does he have the strongest/longest arm span in the footballing world? His arm out to hold off a player then nudge the ball away to open the pitch is almost an iconic move now :drool:

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
If he's fit he should always start in a proper midfield three with any of Fred, McTominay, Peirera and Pogba.

Side note - does he have the strongest/longest arm span in the footballing world? His arm out to hold off a player then nudge the ball away to open the pitch is almost an iconic move now :drool:
It is one of the things that made him so good. I love it. Without it I don't think he would have the career he has had. Obviously it is not enough for him anymore.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Magic was actually still outperforming Fred when he got dropped a few months back. Like others have said, it was more naievity from Ole to freeze him out in an attempt to try to be popular with the fans. Similar to other decisions though he's just damaged us unnecessarily. If we had new players coming in then that's fine, but we've not exactly promoted from within or even signed a midfielder in the last 2 windows under him.

acnumber9

You weren’t paying attention were you?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Magic was actually still outperforming Fred when he got dropped a few months back. Like others have said, it was more naievity from Ole to freeze him out in an attempt to try to be popular with the fans. Similar to other decisions though he's just damaged us unnecessarily. If we had new players coming in then that's fine, but we've not exactly promoted from within or even signed a midfielder in the last 2 windows under him.
He did get replaced by McTominay though so we have been promoting from within. Matic hasn't been good enough and we have had a lot more energy in our play since he got froze out. He has no future here, so why start a season such as this with depending on him? Makes no sense. Pogba and McTominay are out injured, if they weren't then obviously Matic shouldn't play.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He did get replaced by McTominay though so we have been promoting from within. Matic hasn't been good enough and we have had a lot more energy in our play since he got froze out. He has no future here, so why start a season such as this with depending on him? Makes no sense. Pogba and McTominay are out injured, if they weren't then obviously Matic shouldn't play.
McTominay was already playing under Jose. Ole just froze Matic out and didn't replace him, yet now he's back out of the cold. Energy is fine, but 8 wins out of 21 in the league hardly screams "don't change anything in midfield". We play with a 10 most weeks even though our weakest players play in that position and we concede a goal a game. Surely dropping the no10 and putting Matic in midfield makes sense in some games? It took a first half spanking for Ole to finally recognise this.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
McTominay was already playing under Jose. Ole just froze Matic out and didn't replace him, yet now he's back out of the cold. Energy is fine, but 8 wins out of 21 in the league hardly screams "don't change anything in midfield". We play with a 10 most weeks even though our weakest players play in that position and we concede a goal a game. Surely dropping the no10 and putting Matic in midfield makes sense in some games? It took a first half spanking for Ole to finally recognise this.
Maybe the time out has been good for Matic. Has been playing too much the last years. He probably could have played a few more games yeah, but I'm not that bothered about it. Because as I said he is not in our future. However, you make a really good point with Lingard in the nr.10 because I don't see why we persist with him, it seems he is in our plans which I don't agree with.

DoomSlayer

Good old Magic.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
This has to be the most bizarre comment of the day??

R'hllor

Can believe what i am reading, oh i hope they extend his contract, some dont deserve anything better. He was dead on bench till recently and for good reason, then that ruffle feather bullshit, people really forgetting fast in here. If they trigger that one extra year and not sell him in the summer then there is no point loosing your shit about United corp.

Denis79

We lost because of Matic? You didn't watch the game did you?

Status
Not open for further replies.