Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordon S

Thought he would never play for us again, but glad that he is back in the team. He has been one of our best since his return. Sad state that we need him and Fred to perform every game now.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Make no mistake he was carried by Fred. Made too many mistakes and if Fred hadn't taken control of our game we would have continued to be sluggish the whole game I'm sure. Had some decent involvements but nothing spectacular and just isn't contributing sadly.

fps

Another really odd case of a discarded player actually being good and ready to play. Too slow a tempo with the ball mind.

Dan_F

The switch to AWB seemed to be on constantly, but he never seemed to see him, or feel comfortable hitting the diagonal. Weird because he’s left footed and it seemed to be there for him.

littleman

The switch to AWB seemed to be on constantly, but he never seemed to see him, or feel comfortable hitting the diagonal. Weird because he’s left footed and it seemed to be there for him.
Not sure what AWB could have done with the ball.. always seems like he just loses it or passes it sideways/backwards. Think Matic understood that

The team is just too static; even when Martial/Fred had the ball upfront and was surrounded by other players, Brandon was just there a meter away watching, waiting for something to happen with the ball. There's no movement.. it's sad to see it also happen to the next generation

The United

He just does not have the passing range. We really do need a midfielder with a bit of passing range. We have one who does not want to be here.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He was okay. He can pick a pass and still has his strength, but he is just so slow. Against top teams that is a big negative as you can't afford to carry passengers in games like this. He also had some sloppy moments, like the time he keeps the ball too long. That usually ends up with him being closed down and he can't get out of those situations. He is best when the teams don't press,or when they do he keeps things simple and one touch.
Today was ‘against a top team’, and he was fine.

High pressing, fast passing.... :lol:

Funniest thing I've read all week. News for you mate, we can't do any of that, we're shite.

I doubt @ivaldo will care to admit it but he's still one of our best players as shown again today, and that should tell you all you need to know. I'm still so angry at how we culled the squad this Summer and alienated the likes of Matic for this fecking manager of all people.
If you hadnt noticed half our team is currently injured, over half of our midfield. Of course we cant do it.

Matic now is a player who looks good in a vacuum.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Today was ‘against a top team’, and he was fine.
Yes. He has played well since his return.
I accept that he is limited in certain respects but the one thing that we desperately need is a strong physical presence in midfield.

And with lightweight players like Andreas, that is important.
I hope that he stays fit for the rest of the season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yes. He has played well since his return.
I accept that he is limited in certain respects but the one thing that we desperately need is a strong physical presence in midfield.

And with lightweight players like Andreas, that is important.
I hope that he stays fit for the rest of the season.
And his ability and composure on the ball. Can’t emphasise enough how hard we find it to sustain attacks, especially against the tougher sides, when the counter isn’t on.

If we play a big side and concede first, what do we do? It’s pretty much my only issue with McTominay really. In a very specific game, his qualities are great. People have said he struggles against the small teams we need to break down, but even against the big sides, it’s fine when we are level or have a lead to protect. If we are behind though, we especially can’t keep giving the ball away. They will press us, and we won’t be able to keep the ball and sustain any attacks, which we will need to. The counter also won’t be on.

Yesterday, during our good spell in the second half, we were given a chance by the fact that Matic and Fred were able to keep the ball under pressure. That kept us going the right way for a sustained spell.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
And his ability and composure on the ball. Can’t emphasise enough how hard we find it to sustain attacks, especially against the tougher sides, when the counter isn’t on.

If we play a big side and concede first, what do we do? It’s pretty much my only issue with McTominay really. In a very specific game, his qualities are great. People have said he struggles against the small teams we need to break down, but even against the big sides, it’s fine when we are level or have a lead to protect. If we are behind though, we especially can’t keep giving the ball away. They will press us, and we won’t be able to keep the ball and sustain any attacks, which we will need to. The counter also won’t be on.

Yesterday, during our good spell in the second half, we were given a chance by the fact that Matic and Fred were able to keep the ball under pressure. That kept us going the right way for a sustained spell.
A very good analysis which I agree with.
He is a far more important player than most realise and are far too critical of.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
A very good analysis which I agree with.
He is a far more important player than most realise and are far too critical of.
He’s a good player, but still needs upgrading ultimately. We still need a bit more of what McTominay offers from a DM than what Matic gives us. But in the meantime, he’s one of a few we have that have been treated excessively harshly in my opinion.

Everyday I shed a tear that we were not able to sign De Jong.

Resch

We need to replace Matic as soon as possible. Every match he creates a perfect attack for our opponents, He is slow, physically and mantally, an outdatet type of player.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's alright as a squad player and has been playing OK recently, but people talking like he's the linchpin of the team need their heads testing :lol:

For me right now he's our 4th best midfielder, but he's doing a steady job.

Maticmaker

Really bright thing about Liverpool game was the way both Matic and Fred stood out in the game. This was a good team we were playing, one that is likely to have won the league after the next ten games. Matic's reading of the game was excellent although he struggled with some aspects, speed being a limiting factor.

If we can get McTominay back soon, who knows could still make a run for fourth place.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Or the simple fact that both him and opposition teams understand that AWB is a nothing player with the ball. There's a very simple reason why teams leave him unmarked.

Sylar

He had a decent game. Do wish if we used him, we would use more of a three in the centre rather than 2.

Dan_F

Or the simple fact that both him and opposition teams understand that AWB is a nothing player with the ball. There's a very simple reason why teams leave him unmarked.
I think that ball is on a lot, no matter who our full back is. Mainly because we don’t play with a wide player out there.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Matic has done a decent job when called upon, however he is too slow on the ball and takes too many touches. He is also very left footed and rarely turns with the ball when passed to from the left. He's a good option to have on the bench if we are defending a lead but he shouldn't be in our first 11

Man Utd 0:2 Burnley

luisnani86

MOTM tonight (albeit the pick of a woefully inadequate bunch), ball retention in the first half excellent and played a few incisive passes. Second half bit laboured, which sums up the whole team.

Master Yoda

Matic Motm today, switched play and alot of good forward passes, one that should have been a sitter by Martial. One other thing I loved, I noticed Matic giving alot of instructions, keeping everything in check. I wouldnt argue with anyone picking AWB. I always critisized AWB going forward, but today he showed class.

Now call me crazy, but did Jones have a Vidic-type of game? The amount of times he put his body on the line and as far as I can remember, Jones won all the 50/50, every single header. I cant count the amount of clearences/interceptions Jones had today, simply amazing. The only difference is that Vidic doesnt stay on the ground to recover, always stood up like a terminator.

We should have killed the game in the first half, but like I said earlier, we have one of the most overrated attacking players.

Maticmaker

Matic Motm today, switched play and alot of good forward passes, one that should have been a sitter by Martial. One other thing I loved, I noticed Matic giving alot of instructions, keeping everything in check. I wouldnt argue with anyone picking AWB. I always critisized AWB going forward, but today he showed class.

Now call me crazy, but did Jones have a Vidic-type of game? The amount of times he put his body on the line and as far as I can remember, Jones won all the 50/50, every single header. I cant count the amount of clearences/interceptions Jones had today, simply amazing. The only difference is that Vidic doesnt stay on the ground to recover, always stood up like a terminator.

We should have killed the game in the first half, but like I said earlier, we have one of the most overrated attacking players.
Spot on mate!

Both Matic and Jones comments agree. I counted the same for Jones you're right every single header, wish he could do this everytime he plays, but today you can see why he's still on the second string play list.

Why do we insist on playing Martial down the middle, he missed a couple of chances then his confidence drops? He should always be played on the left flank bursting in on defenders straight at them.

Raven

I must have been watching a totally different match. I thought he was absolute dogshit last night. Just like Maguire, he loves swanning around on the ball for ages only to pass it 3 yards out to the full back, the amount of times his team mates were looking for a quick ball through the lines and he flat out ignored them was infuriating.

Jonno

He’s a top level midfielder, dismissed by many due to age and injuries.

Lots calling for him to be flogged earlier this season for no apparent reason.

Another top performance.

Red_toad

Matic superb today controlled midfield on his own. rightly pulled off at half time as we need him fit.
He’s going to be playing a lot of games, as simply no cover for him, fatigue will be an issue for him. Let’s hope we can give him plenty of rest. Very good today and been decent since he came back into the team. I wonder who will replace him next season, as I don’t see him getting a new contract...

DON’T PANIC ™

Utd definitely went down a few gears after he came off at half time. He’s still capable of running the midfield against weak opposition, but not mobile enough against a high press.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He is still class under the right conditions but terrible against quick and fit teams that press .

He would do well in Spain or Italy for a few seasons.

We need him for the rest of the season out of desperation but we need to be moving on from him in the summer.

all the credit to him for his recent excellent form though.

Andersons Dietician

I don’t think I’ve ever seen him move that fast in the 2/3 years he has been here where Martial played one inside and he was on the overlap.

He looked good today, he did have all the time in the world but even when he was under preasure he was cool as a cucumber. Some decent passes as well.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
He’s a top level midfielder, dismissed by many due to age and injuries.

Lots calling for him to be flogged earlier this season for no apparent reason.

Another top performance.
Of course there was a reason. What's the point in rewriting history? But maybe he just needed a little breather because recently he's been fab.

I must have been watching a totally different match. I thought he was absolute dogshit last night. Just like Maguire, he loves swanning around on the ball for ages only to pass it 3 yards out to the full back, the amount of times his team mates were looking for a quick ball through the lines and he flat out ignored them was infuriating.
This is generally his problem now. He has never been that kind of player, at Chelsea he was great at getting the ball back and carrying it through the lines. Hes never been a quick passer. He is individually great against teams that give him space to do his thing (Tranmere today) but we dont want to play that way, and he cant do it against top teams anymore anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.