Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

He's one of my least favourite players but he was solid tonight until the red card, so dumb for such an experienced player.

NoPace

I actually think he's looked a lot better when he's gotten a good run of games and not much rest. It was the same last season when he played a big part in our winning streak, then he got injured and only played occationally for the rest of the season and was mostly poor.
Yeah you might be right. I just assumed he had started playing badly from playing too much at his age but who knows why really.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is playing really well, maybe the surgery finally fixed his injury issues and he is back to full fitness. Or since he didn't play much this season his energy levels are high.

I think it's the injury issues going by his interview.
”I could see I couldn’t give my best because this injury was serious. It was painful so I needed to fix it. Sometimes, you can play through the pain and I played the last few months of the season with the pain but I think, for this season, it was better to fix the problem.

“I didn’t want to spend time during the season fixing it as I need to be ready for the season that we have.”

Yagami

Good post resistant
I was initially against his singing in 2016 but I've loved having him here. I'm delighted to have been wrong about him. I'm glad there's still life left in the ol' geezer as he's been one of my favourite players in recent years, and I've defended him a lot on as a result. I love how he shields the ball, and how he has an elegance about him in his dribbling/ball carrying for such a big boy.

AneRu

He has done well since his return but I think next season could be one season too many for him in the PL especially at the level we should be playing at. If we sign a young DM I wouldn't mind having him around for rotation and mentorship roles.

Sylar

That second booking is something I woudl expect from a non experienced player. You know how the ref has been during the game and what the City players were like.
You also know theres 20 mins left, and City werent in a position to score. He basically gave the ref a decision to make, which he was more than willing to make.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Maybe just me, but I thought he was really unlucky to be sent off. The first foul he doesn't even make contact with Mahrez. Great performance red card aside, and I thought he was unlucky with that.

red4ever 79

He has done well since his return but I think next season could be one season too many for him in the PL especially at the level we should be playing at. If we sign a young DM I wouldn't mind having him around for rotation and mentorship roles.
Out of contract in the summer i believe. Another one who should be cut loose, however as we havent replaced Fellaini or Herrera yet can we afford to lose another one.

spiriticon

I think he's been great since stepping in for McT. In line with all over 30s in our team, offer him a year extension.

He's still got something to offer.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Based on recent performances hes clearly worth having around.

The question for me is whether those performances are because he's been used sparingly, keeping him fresh. Or if we're seeing the typical example of a player playing for a contract, who, once he gets it, goes back to the dog shit we saw from him last season.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Yeah he's been great as of late, most impressive part of his game has been trying to break the lines with his passing. Very positive on the ball, but annoyingly there are moments he is giving the ball way too cheaply. I think he's the right type of player to play in support of Bruno.

Dve

If Matic is going to be in the first team, give him another year. If he´s going to be a squad player, sell him. He won´t be happy with that. Then he will start complaining that you cannot win anything with youth only. They need an experienced player, like him. He could be that anchor in a 4-3-3 formation. But people said he is too slow to be an anchor. That he was done. And Ole thought so too, so he introduced 4-2-3-1, although Ole always liked 4-3-3. How insulting.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
He is really important for us, happy to extend him and rotate him with a new DM next season. Switch to 4-3-3 with two in front to actually attack and press, a long with a new RW.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He must have been carrying an injury because he looks a brand new player. He even moves quicker.

I thought he was done. He was too slow and hated how he lost physical duels and had terrible passing range.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Weak link in the team today. Good job we've got 12 lungs next to him.

dev1l

Weak link in the team today. Good job we've got 12 lungs next to him.
Problem with Matic is when we play teams that press us all over the pitch. He s slow so he struggles a bit. McTominay is more suited to these type of games.

On the other hand when we play teams who park the bus, Matic is better

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Problem with Matic is when we play teams that press us all over the pitch. He s slow so he struggles a bit. McTominay is more suited to these type of games.

On the other hand when we play teams who park the bus, Matic is better
Yeah, that's fair.

el3mel

Was poor in the first half with some weird and unusual mistakes from him but second half was far better. Still our best DMF currently, whether people like it or not.

Footyislife

On defense we are playing 10 v 11, too slow. It's nice he can hold up the ball and make decent passes, but that doesn't warrant the defensive gaps it creates, especially against weaker teams that play direct and when we are in a more attacking setup. Two scary chances today (thank god Chelsea didn't buy a real striker and for VAR) came from space created by us having to double when he's on a player due to his lethargic pace.

Please don't trigger his extension. Release him as free agent and either groom TFM for that DM role or buy someone to challenge Scott.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Not press resistant but did his part today. Better in the second half.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Thought he was guilty of holding onto the ball a bit too much...but having him in front of the defence does make a difference

Irwin99

Matic has been better than McTominay this season.
They have different qualities and weaknesses but I can see where you're coming from. It's a tricky balancing act but at the moment i'd stick with Fred and Matic. I'm not a huge fan of Matic and I like McTominay but at the moment I wouldn't disrupt that partnership. Matic has done really well lately, i'll give him his credit.

Bwuk

Gets under rated here because the place loves Fred.

He’s the only midfielder we’ve got who can hold the shape. He’s always in the right position.

Status
Not open for further replies.