Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Great game. I thought he’d get brought off to save his legs though, I wondered where the stats are on distance covered and how he compares with Bruno or Pog. Is that available?
We might rest him against Norwich which could be why he wasn't taken off.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I feel people are too obsessed with age. I dont see any physical decline with Matic and he is 31. He still has like 2 good seasons in him. He wasnt particularly plagued with injuried nor can you tell he is physically declining, its just that we were a mess tactically for a long time. All of our midfielders looked bad.
Now that we finally seem to have a good thing going we look good again.

Also I think forcing McTominay or Fred to be players like Matic just isnt going to work. Theyre not that, theyre box to box. Can they learn, McTominay especially? Perhaps. Not counting on it though.
Replacing Matic isnt an immediate concern for next season but if we can find a young player or two who play the right style just like Matic I would be down for that. We dont necessarily need to spend big. Get a Daniel James or two for that position.
That's just not true at all. He was playing injured and needed surgery and a few months out to recover.

He quite clearly was playing injured also, he was genuinely shite and looked like an old man (obviously was injured)

Prodigal7

I feel people are too obsessed with age. I dont see any physical decline with Matic and he is 31. He still has like 2 good seasons in him. He wasnt particularly plagued with injuried nor can you tell he is physically declining, its just that we were a mess tactically for a long time. All of our midfielders looked bad.
Now that we finally seem to have a good thing going we look good again.

Also I think forcing McTominay or Fred to be players like Matic just isnt going to work. Theyre not that, theyre box to box. Can they learn, McTominay especially? Perhaps. Not counting on it though.
Replacing Matic isnt an immediate concern for next season but if we can find a young player or two who play the right style just like Matic I would be down for that. We dont necessarily need to spend big. Get a Daniel James or two for that position.
100% agree. The problem was he didn’t have the type of quality around him to play the way he wanted to play. Now he does.

mu4c_20le

Matic is playing the best football of his career after having 'a good pre-season for the first time in years' during lockdown, says Man United boss Solskjaer

'Nemanja is playing some of his best football,' Solskjaer said. 'He's had a good pre-season for the first time in many, many years and today he was dictating the game and his experience is vital for us.

'I'm very, very happy that we're seeing the best of Nemanja and he'll be important for us and then of course it's down to performances and if Nemanja wants to stay but at the moment he's in great form.'

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Had a great game.

For all the talk on whether he can still cut it against the top teams... Ferguson's United never lost points against the bottom 16 in the PL.

If we regain that consistency against lower ranked opponents... First step in the right direction. Matic can definitely help with that.

Last edited:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Matic has basically got to the late stage Carrick phase: when he is rested he can still put in big performances. If you overplay him he looks like he's running on fumes. The three months off seem to have done him the world of good. Pity he doesn't have an able deputy.

RooneyLegend

Matic has basically got to the late stage Carrick phase: when he is rested he can still put in big performances. If you overplay him he looks like he's running on fumes. The three months off seem to have done him the world of good. Pity he doesn't have an able deputy.
True. So we pretty much need a starter and have Matic as the able deputy. It's a shame when we put together a great midfield one of them is getting older and losing mobility.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Matic is back to being the player who was brilliant in his first season at United. Let's not forget his contribution in helping Bruno and Pogba do their stuff higher up the pitch.

acnumber9

That ball he played to Greenwood for the third goal is something Fred and McTominay just aren’t capable of. He’s essential to us finishing this season well.

Gomes

Imagine being vilified for not throwing a manager under the bus. Where are the great old post hunters now?

Yagami

Good post resistant
I love him. Bar a dip in form last year, I think he's been brilliant for us, and I'm chuffed to see him finally getting the love.

Master Yoda

Clean sheet as expected. Bruno, Pogba and Matic will prove to be the best midfield. Matic will be challenging Bruno for player of the season. Its a close call for now.

The Purley King

Superb again today.
Maybe he just needed a long break To recharge the batteries ??
At the moment he is a class above mctominay and Fred.
Well done Nemanja!!!

Edit - am very happy to be proved wrong about him. I was one that wanted him out the door.
Please keep it up next year......

0le

That pass in the lead up to the third goal. Didn't know he had that in him.

Untd55

Shows the benefit of having three midfielders that are good at passing. It is such an advantage having that ability; it makes it far more difficult for the opposition to stop.

Pogba, Fernandes, Matic is a quality midfield.

Matic is brilliant on top form. He has always been a very good passer. That pass was top class, which is exactly the type of thing we need a defensive midfielder to be capable of.

It is a shame he is older, now. He is exactly what we need in that position; we need to keep an eye out for his replacement. It is too important to give the position too someone who cannot pass like that.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
During this run both Maguire and Matic have been outstanding performers and leaders.

Tel074

Brilliant again tonight. For any United fans who don't have the chance to attend games if you do you will see how good Matic is on the ball . When we are under pressure he's still the one wanting the ball it's something we don't see on TV at times .
He's got alot of stick at times but he's a proper player

That was disgusting. I didn't think it was his best game of late. Saw some of the old Matic getting caught on the ball. But he's been solid recently, and that pass more than made up for it.
Looked worse for sure when we swapped out Pogba and Fernandes for Andreas and McTominay. He’s definitely much much better when surrounded by better players.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I wrote Matic off at the start of the season. I was wrong. The lockdown came at the wrong time for some teams and players. For Matic that three month mid-season break has given him a second wind. All of a sudden he looks like he did when he first came to Man Utd. Dominant in the middle of the park, effective at dropping into defence to plug gaps, deceptively good on the ball and intelligent in his use of it. No complaints. I just hope he can pass on his know how to the other midfielders at the club. Cos we have no other defensive midfielder in the squad who can operate at his level.

Raw

He has been so so good. Wrote him off completely like many of us did, shows what I know eh!

I wonder how long he's got playing a starting role at United? Could he do another season? He'll be 32 next season, which isn't that old if you're not relying on pace. But we need some sort of succession plan in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.