Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

EC689908

Suspect it might be a 2 year + optional extra year deal rather than a straight 3 year deal. Similar to the one Mata signed last summer.

Champagne Football

Delighted for Matic. He's been playing so well that we probably don't need another DM in the summer now. Next year Matic can be the main man again with Dylan Levitt as the understudy

AshRK

Yeah 3 years seems mental to me. Should be 2 at max. I'd expect a really good season from him next season, with his level drastically dropping from that point, so you'd hope we was bringing someone through at that point.

Only thing I can think is we've got a slot of promising youngsters in our academy that could come through to play that position, along with seeing what Fred and McTominay develop into.
Didn't want to derail the transfer thread so responding here. Like you poimted out I feel 3 years is more to do with the club feeling positive about Garner. I don't mind this extension, I doubt we are going to spend big on a midfielder this season so let us keep Matic and groom Garner. If it doesn't work out buy a cm next season and you can still sell Matic and get something for him.

DoomSlayer

Extremely happy with the news. Crazy to think that an year ago, this would have been a disaster in my mind and probably in the minds of the majority of the fanbase. :nervous:

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Suspect it might be a 2 year + optional extra year deal rather than a straight 3 year deal. Similar to the one Mata signed last summer.
Yeah, I suspect that too.

Great to have this settled then. Now let's buy a top class centre back and right sided attacker.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Considering all the youth in the team, it doesn't hurt having some experienced heads like him around. Especially as it's looking like Mata might be off soon. Performance wise he's obviously been excellent, just hope he doesn't drop his levels now that he has his contract. Think his game time just needs to be managed for the next few years and it'll be fine though.

Robbie Boy

Good squad option to have if he can maintain his current form and against lesser sides when we'll dominate possession, he's very useful.

TrustInOle

Delighted for him and well deserved. Whoever ends up being the man to replace him will pick a few things up from him, so composed.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Only 32 in August, and glad to see talk of his demise was massively over played.

Bwuk

Happy with that.

Another season as first choice then re-evaluate his replacement the season after. Hopefully Garner can fill that role then.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Good stuff. We look a different team defensively when he’s playing.

Mainoldo

Absolutely stupid. Can we stop praising stupidity. He’s 32 why the hell does he need to be here until 2023?

There’s a transfer thread talking about his replacement. This is the poor planning we keep talking about but then we are cheering decisions like these. Just keep the same every when we don’t sign his replacement.

Prodigal7

Absolutely stupid. Can we stop praising stupidity. He’s 32 why the hell does he need to be here until 2023?

There’s a transfer thread talking about his replacement. This is the poor planning we keep talking about but then we are cheering decisions like these. Just keep the same every when we don’t sign his replacement.
He's the only top class option we have in the position
He's said clearly that he wants to help McT improve
Just because he's signed a contract for that long doesn't mean he'll stay that long. He's clearly a person that wants to be somewhere he'll play regularly and will no doubt want to leave if he gets benched, meaning we can sell him for a fee.
This doesn't stop us signing another top quality DM

What the hell is your problem with him staying as long as Carrick when he's clearly a superior player.

nikineil

Maybe its because the financials are such that we could only spend on Sancho and put off signing his replacement for another window.

izec

It doesnt mean he will be a key player until 2023. We will phase him out soon, but we also need an experienced head in midfield. If we manage him well, he can play 2-3 years as a squad player. But we also need to think about replacing him soon. But his replacement should get some time to take over, rather than thrown into the deep end and failing.

2 years would have been better, but contrary to other deadwood like Mata, Matic still will have plenty to offer as a DM.

Mainoldo

He's the only top class option we have in the position
He's said clearly that he wants to help McT improve
Just because he's signed a contract for that long doesn't mean he'll stay that long. He's clearly a person that wants to be somewhere he'll play regularly and will no doubt want to leave if he gets benched, meaning we can sell him for a fee.
This doesn't stop us signing another top quality DM

What the hell is your problem with him staying as long as Carrick when he's clearly a superior player.
My problem is we always fail to look at past decisions and examples then look dumbfounded when they bite us in the ass again.

I agree he’s an important player now and will be next season. But he’s getting on in age. He’s not going to get any better and like you said he isn’t a bench player. The McT thing sounds nice but he’s never going to be as good as Matic he’s a box to box CM and will never be what Matic his. When we starting planning better and do the things we said a DoF should be doing you will be looking at players like Matic and moving him on correctly.

Your acting like we extend first team players and faze them out? When has that happened? We drain them until there’s nothing left and they always leave too late.

Mainoldo

It doesnt mean he will be a key player until 2023. We will phase him out soon, but we also need an experienced head in midfield. If we manage him well, he can play 2-3 years as a squad player. But we also need to think about replacing him soon. But his replacement should get some time to take over, rather than thrown into the deep end and failing.

2 years would have been better, but contrary to other deadwood like Mata, Matic still will have plenty to offer as a DM.
I agree but we as a club don’t do that and Matic isn’t a guy that likes the bench. But I can hope his replacement is coming in next summer like it should.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
My problem is we always fail to look at past decisions and examples then look dumbfounded when they bite us in the ass again.

I agree he’s an important player now and will be next season. But he’s getting on in age. He’s not going to get any better and like you said he isn’t a bench player. The McT thing sounds nice but he’s never going to be as good as Matic he’s a box to box CM and will never be what Matic his. When we starting planning better and do the things we said a DoF should be doing you will be looking at players like Matic and moving him on correctly.

Your acting like we extend first team players and faze them out? When has that happened? We drain them until there’s nothing left and they always leave too late.
Pretty much

Idxomer

Haven't we sold Fellaini and Young after extending their contracts?

Mainoldo

Haven't we sold Fellaini and Young after extending their contracts?
Stop being a smart arse. We changed manager who didn’t like Fellaini otherwise he’d still be here and do you have amnesia? We pretty much begged Ashley Young to stay. Good thing he actually did us a favour and left otherwise he’d still be here.

But maybe I’m wrong and please tell me if these stories are different?

izec

I agree but we as a club don’t do that and Matic isn’t a guy that likes the bench. But I can hope his replacement is coming in next summer like it should.
He will realise in 2 years that he is done and be quiet on the bench. You can't expect to start as a 33.34 year old that many games at United.

I agree that we might wait too long, but maybe Ole will change that as well and realise this is just for the short term. As long as we manage him and don't run him into the ground, i am not too worried.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Not every player falls off a hill at 30-31, midfielders especially can hit their pomp at this age. Delighted that he is here to stay, and worst case he can be experienced backup, just need to manage his minutes.

Stop being a smart arse. We changed manager who didn’t like Fellaini otherwise he’d still be here and do you have amnesia? We pretty much begged Ashley Young to stay. Good thing he actually did us a favour and left otherwise he’d still be here.

Smalling and Rojo's contracts were extended and we're looking to get rid. Honestly i doubt Matic will be here in 2023, this club just likes extending contracts for the sake of it :lol:

Berbasbullet

Smalling and Rojo's contracts were extended and we're looking to get rid. Honestly i doubt Matic will be here in 2023, this club just likes extending contracts for the sake of it :lol:
*coughs* Phil Jones *cough* :lol:

To be fair if Matic keeps playing well and we manage his game time then why not keep him? An experienced midfielder is always appreciated.

This isn’t FM where we can just dump Matic and splash 80 million on a new midfielder, we probably looking at a proper replacement in a year or two which is fine!

Last edited:

Idxomer

I just asked a question, can't you have a conversation normally?

All of these are excuses. I mean Matic himself seemed at one point someone the manager doesn't like. And please, nobody was begging Young to stay. If we wanted him that badly he would've stayed.

Simply, there's no guarantee he's staying the full extent of his contract. And while I agree the length of the contract is a bit much, I just like to wait and see especially when the player is performing.

Prodigal7

You/we have absolutely no idea what the plans are for that position. I think he'll be a regular next season and then help Garner in the role the season after, sharing playing time, taking him to the final year of his contract. I can't see us buying another top DM this summer but maybe we will next summer. I don't see any problem in him being around for another 2 or 3 years to help transition an eventual replacement in any case. We need experienced role models and players who've won everything and Matic is literally the only one unless you include Maguire (who's won little). I'm a fan of Pogba as a world class player but I wouldn't call him a role model.

Matic offers a huge amount on and off the pitch and a three year extension is great news.

Also as fans we need to stop trying to financially manage the club. All we should care about is who's staying and leaving nd Matic needs to stay for us to progress IMO.

Last edited:

Berbasbullet

All of these are excuses. I mean Matic himself seemed at one point someone the manager doesn't like. And please, nobody was begging Young to stay. If we wanted him that badly he would've stayed.

Simply, there's no guarantee he's staying the full extent of his contract. And while I agree the length of the contract is a bit much, I just like to wait and see especially when the player is performing.
Pretty much this and if we sign a DM in the next year or two then there can be a natural transition to the new midfielder (or even an academy lad).

Last edited:

jamesjimmybyrondean

Should have been one year extension at best. Can already imagine people calling Matic deadwood and attacking Ole for extending his contract a year from now

Berbasbullet

Should have been one year extension at best. Can already imagine people calling Matic deadwood and attacking Ole for extending his contract a year from now
I think 2 is the sweet spot for Matic, but if it’s 2+1 then that’s ideal in my book.

Mainoldo

If we wasn’t begging Ashley Young to stay. Why did we try to offer him a contract in January?

Status
Not open for further replies.