Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainoldo

Should have been one year extension at best. Can already imagine people calling Matic deadwood and attacking Ole for extending his contract a year from now
We know it will happen. Might aswell makes the thread now and see the ones say great news and he deserves it moan.

Revan

Assumptionman
He'll be 32 in a month, which means that would still be 34 (almost 35) by the end of his final season. I think it is totally okay, he would likely be relegated to a Carrick (final 2 seasons) type of player in the last season, and don't start every match in the season after the next one, but I don't see any problem with him staying for another 3 seasons.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Well he was free to leave this summer so we didn’t have to offer him a deal. We could have like just let him go. What else would you call it? Being nice?
I’d call it offering a new contract?

Revan

Assumptionman
Well he was free to leave this summer so we didn’t have to offer him a deal. We could have like just let him go. What else would you call it? Being nice?
Why we should have let him go considering that he is starting for us, and is playing very well?

kirk buttercup

I dont understand some of the comments on here . We have finally after years found the balance to the midfield that we can build on and people are unhappy that we lock him down for another couple of seasons ? I'm in well deserved Nemanja . Since we have come back after covid i would argue he has been one of our best and most influential players .

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I dont understand some of the comments on here . We have finally after years found the balance to the midfield that we can build on and people are unhappy that we lock him down for another couple of seasons ? I'm in well deserved Nemanja . Since we have come back after covid i would argue he has been one of our best and most influential players .
Even before Covid he was brilliant, remember the second half v City when he came off the bench and changed the entire dynamic?

He’s a good football and I think the Carrick parallels are basically spot on as he is a very similar player to Carrick.

Based Adnan

Happy with the extension.

He is one of the few old heads in what is a very young squad. Obviously still has quality which we've seen and will be happy to be rotated.

Devil may care

I fear we've moved too soon here. His performances prior to his current form should not be ignored.
Yeah, I hope this isn't true, it's almost as if no one recalls he's had these patches before and then ran out of gas, it's like clockwork, and he's not, nor has he ever been as good as Carrick, I don't know where anyone would get that from. This idea of McTominay as his understudy or the Garner fantasy is ridiculous, all so we can buy Chavlish.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Absolutely stupid. Can we stop praising stupidity. He’s 32 why the hell does he need to be here until 2023?

There’s a transfer thread talking about his replacement. This is the poor planning we keep talking about but then we are cheering decisions like these. Just keep the same every when we don’t sign his replacement.
The absolute state of this comment. You're talking as if he's signed to be a first team starter until 2023, thus making us unable to replace him before then.

We just signed one of the best players in his position to a contract that seems him out of his productive years with 1 year extra as a squad option and performance bonus. There is nothing in this contract that stops us from replacing him entirely in the lineup.

You're talking as if having experienced veteranse in the squad is poor planning. Know what is poor planning? Letting him run out his contract and having to needlessly head into market to replace him when the players in the position are performing above and beyond currently, and wehave NO reason to believe that will change next season.

Why are you so rampantly negative about this, I don't get it.

Mainoldo

The absolute state of this comment. You're talking as if he's signed to be a first team starter until 2023, thus making us unable to replace him before then.

We just signed one of the best players in his position to a contract that seems him out of his productive years with 1 year extra as a squad option and performance bonus. There is nothing in this contract that stops us from replacing him entirely in the lineup.

You're talking as if having experienced veteranse in the squad is poor planning. Know what is poor planning? Letting him run out his contract and having to needlessly head into market to replace him when the players in the position are performing above and beyond currently, and wehave NO reason to believe that will change next season.

Why are you so rampantly negative about this, I don't get it.
Okay. Let’s just hope Pogba gets a contract soonish then. We wouldn’t want your third paragraph to come to light now would we.

criticalanalysis

Will be interesting to see Matic's career in 2-3 years time. Will he drop even further and play centre back?

From attacking mid to centre of the defence :drool:

6"4 monster with long legs, brilliant technique, great reading of the game ahead of him and composure. If he puts his mind to it, he really could.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I sometimes forget that on here, as soon as you hit 30 some people will see you as useless, regardless of how you're actually playing.

Imagine if VDS came here when he did these days... Some people would lose their shit...for 6 years in a row.

Traub

You do need some experience in the squad, as it also helps bridge the gap between management and players. What’s the point of getting rid of one of the only league winners in the squad? This isn’t football manager, an entire squad of players 27 and under who have never won a league will struggle to do so.

suheilsworld

I like the idea of him playing with pogba and Bruno. Let’s pogba and Bruno roam free. I think he’s been instrumental in our fullbacks bombing ahead with him sitting behind with the CB

Renegade

I have no issue with a 2 +1 deal. I can see him being used a CB at times too. He can play his style for a couple more seasons.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That's too long, he should have gotten 1+1 at most.
It may be that financially there was little difference between wages on offer for a 1+1 vs 3 year static deal.

Sylar

Well deserved and ill admit I was wrong about him. Thought he was done after the first 3/4 of his first season. Guess it was just him being over used. But Ole has done a fantastic job this second esp with him. Three man midfield works. Will be nice keeping him around and hopefully having somebody learn from him whilst he can still offer what he is doing.

This is good news as I expect he wont be on top wages either. And can see him being used like carrick was in Carricks final seasons.

El Zoido

Vital, experienced member of the squad. Maybe he can’t play 60 games a year, that’s why you have a squad. His position doesn’t require explosive pace, he’ll be 32 next month and can play at a high level for at least a couple more years if managed correctly.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
He'll be 32 in a month, which means that would still be 34 (almost 35) by the end of his final season. I think it is totally okay, he would likely be relegated to a Carrick (final 2 seasons) type of player in the last season, and don't start every match in the season after the next one, but I don't see any problem with him staying for another 3 seasons.
He's going through a purple patch at the moment, which is great but how long he'll maintain that level, we'll just have to wait and see. But yeah so long as Solskjaer is planning to give him a backup role and not building the midfield around him, this is ok. Our main issue now is squad depth and Matic will certainly provide that for the next two years at least.

Our next transfer window will be a good indicator as to where we are heading.

Zlatattack

I'm glad he's signed, he's doing well for us at the moment. I've been calling to get rid of him, but he's proven me wrong. I still think we need a player to replace/rotate him with, but i think given plenty of rest we can get plenty of quality games out of him (like SAF used Giggs and Scholes towards the ends of their careers).

Nickelodeon

He has had no apologists rooting for him. He has earned himself that deal. Kudos to Matic.

Even when he is performing exceptionally (comfortably the best DM in the league since Jan), people still find the need to criticize him. Whether he will decline or not is a hypothetical. We can't expect him to decline for no reason at all. Not only that, he's also proved himself to be a leader in the squad. Surely, his minutes will be managed better in a couple of years. Other great midfielders playing in his position have shown longevity.

Also, there's a good chance that from a financial perspective, a longer deal might mean a lower weekly salary. But feck no, let's all just criticize and compare him with non-performing assets like Mata when there's no comparison at all.

evil_geko

Great news this!

By how some people are complaining about this extension, you would think good midfielders are growing on trees and we can just cherry pick them whenever we need new one. Fecking hell. This isn't Football Manager ffs!

Just have to manage his minutes, he will also be a great squad player when we buy a new midfielder.

zenith

It's a decent deal, probably an year too long but it really depends on how we plan to use him.

Beyond this season, I see him as a player who will provide a high quality 70-90 minute game, every weekend for the next two years but if we push the limits by playing him midweek as well, then it's all going to go ape shit.

Also, his role as a mentor to Mctominay, Fred and maybe even garner would be important. Those guys need an experienced head to help them become well rounded midfielders.

Overall, happy to see him stay. Just hope we don't assume that he'll be our designated DM for the next three years.

Barnslig

See we haven't learned anything from our past mistakes. I'm all for giving Matic an extension, but 3 years? This is going to bite us in the ass, 100%

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
He's in arguably the best form of his United career and is pretty much the only option for the role - which is really important to the way we play. Hard to see how this is anything other than good news for everyone.

Bondi77

He had a dip in form a while back and I thought that Ole didn’t fancy him and his days were numbered but fair play to him as he took his chance when it presented itself and he has been solid ever since.
I think this is good news for Garner as well as he could spend the next two seasons on loan and give him time to see if he can step up for us in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.