Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxbatt

He was good today for most part of the game. His experienced helped us a lot. I remember when he was calm and collected. We need a defensive midfield player like the old Matic. I hope that this time if he is sold we find an immediate replacement for him.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He looked a lot sharper and fitter yesterday, if he played like that more often I wouldn’t mind him staying longer - but I feel like it was a shop window performance

kiristao

Decent performance specially considering he has had barely any match practice. If Mctominay is out for too long we might have to play him there for an extended period of time.

KennyBurner

Aye, I think we played better tonight than we would’ve done with McTom in the side because Matic just does more when we have lots of possession. Shows how much we can still improve if we add a prime DM in our centre mid.
Nobody wants to admit this. Matic in the side is good for 70 percent of the teams we face in the league. Yesterday we had Fred move further up the pitch while Matic sat back. Both are comfortable on the ball so we were fluid in possession. Unlike when we play with mctominay we are less composed on the ball and give it away needlessly. More energy in midfield doesnt say much if we arent composed enough to hold unto the ball. The best way to defend is to keep hold of the ball. Also both mctominay and fred like to play further up the pitch which leaves us exposed on multiple occasions. Mctominay has done well enough but as things stand I would rather have a proper defensive midfielder next to fred since Ole loves the 4231. If we ever switch to the 433 then mctominay might be more useful. Matic should be a good partner to Fred in the meantime.

Machine Elements

-----Pogba-----Fred---------

--------------Matic-------------

I used to think our best midfield includes both him & Fred and still do. What Matic provides as a DM is still anything better than what Lingard, Pereira or Mata gives us in no 10 position. Fred also benefits from a defensive midfields presence next to him. We should keep him if we're not going to replace him in January.

Foxbatt

I remember in the first half there was a ball bobbing about outside our box. Normally some one would head it high up in the air and anything could happen as it normally happens this season. Matic calmly headed it back to DeGea and then I realised too that he does bring a calming influence. But he has been poor in the past. Maybe he is not fit to play in every game? He got tired at the end of it for sure and started making some mistakes. But I would start him, Fred and Pogba against Arsenal if possible.

El Zoido

It’s easy to forget how good of a player he used to be. He is still only 31 so there’s no reason why he can’t find some form and contribute greatly to us in the second half of the season.

Andrew Richmond

I don’t think we can afford to let him leave in January, we are simply to light on in depth and as we saw against Burnley he is still capable on his day. While he will leave for free in the summer I don’t think we have any choice but to keep him at this point. This could all change if we do bring in new recruits in January but I’m not overly confident of that given it is a difficult time to do business.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Don't shoot me but I think he's better than Mctominay. Matic is very composed on the ball, rarely losses possession and is a decent passer. I feel Mctom is too rash sometimes, matic is a better partner to Fred.
That's a bit of a strange thing to say considering what we've seen over the last 18 months. It's been quite obvious during that time that Fred has played much better when he had McTominay next to him compared to when he had Matic. In fact I'm tempted to say that the Burnley match is the first time the Fred-Matic combo has worked, although I could be forgetting one or two other times it did. Overall though it's a combo that had plenty of chances and failed pretty much every time.

Who knows, if Matic can actually play well consistently (combined with Fred's obviously far improved form) it might work going forward. But I'm not holding my breath on Matic in particular.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
It’s easy to forget how good of a player he used to be. He is still only 31 so there’s no reason why he can’t find some form and contribute greatly to us in the second half of the season.
This.

His stamina level should easily let him play some games on full speed as he didn't played much. Perfect time to finally exploit his ability to keep things simple.

RedIan

We cant afford to let him leave now, however i still think he is most likely to be sold in this window.. if he goes 100% we have a replacement lined up. With McT injured (again) its buy a replacement or keep matic till his contract expires in 6 months.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s had a fantastic career but he’s done.
Whenever we play him in an away game especially we’re likely to lose, needs replacing.

R'hllor

Him being picked should be in category of 30 to life in prison.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Fred by far the best today but Matic and Martial the only other two who had decent games IMO. People love to shit on Matic because he is past it, but he did well today. We got killed on the flanks and with our center backs today (defensively), while our attack did nothing when they got the ball.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Fred by far the best today but Matic and Martial the only other two who had decent games IMO. People love to shit on Matic because he is past it, but he did well today. We got killed on the flanks and with our center backs today (defensively), while our attack did nothing when they got the ball.
+1

RedIan

Seen him slated today but he was no worse than anyone else and in the 2nd half he played well and created some chances When he pushed up.. far worse than him today but wont stop the haters

cyberman

I thought he was really good today? Kept the ball under pressure and kept it going forward

mu4c_20le

It's not his fault for getting picked, it's our fault for being dependent on him.

sherrinford

He can’t cover the same ground that Fred and McTominay can and it showed in our defending today, either being yards off or reluctant to track Ozil and slow or unwilling to push on to Torreira or to the right back when pressing.

In possession our (outfield) back six essentially failed today, but I think Matic can hold his head up in that regard - the only one consistently willing and able to actually get the ball past Arsenal’s pressing. Always looking to play penetrative passes and prepared to force the issue by carrying the ball, either into space or through pressure. I think he is like Maguire in his attitude towards possession - posters have, and will, complain about them holding onto the ball, but they take responsibility for progressing the play. Maguire had a mare for seventy minutes today though, so really should have accepted it wasn’t happening for him and stopped trying so hard.

Matic generally did well, for me. Expecting him to press like our younger workhorses just sets him - and the team - up to fail. I would have preferred that the team, once the pattern of the game was set initially with Arsenal looking strong, sharp, hungry and just generally outplaying us, altered the approach to try and get more of a foothold in the game. As it was we just accepted what was happening and carried on with a defensive shape that wasn’t allowing us to assert ourselves in attack or defence.

Walters_19_MuFc

I agree that he had a good game. Got around the pitch and drove into space when it was there. Played some nice passes into feet. Was unlucky not to get an assist following Pereira's chance.

Sylar

Why did we start him in a 2 man midfield
This wasn't a good idea under Jose when he was younger

He did ok and nice set up for pereira but he's too slow on the ball and off it he should be renamed to Static

Think we wasting minutes on him and should give it to garner
Not like we are winning or creating chances or stopping chances with him

Hoof the ball

I'm gonna say it. He's done physically and mobility wise, but he's leagues above Fred in terms of ball use, accuracy and ambition. Matic at least passes between the lines and pushes the play forward with his passes. Fred is a very busy and active player with certain upsides, but he's a poor user of the ball.

CM

I'm prepared to receive pelters for this but I actually thought he looked alright against Arsenal. We were playing better with him on the pitch than when Mata came on, anyway.

Vernon Philander

Gets unfairly criticised by the Pace worshipers. He was decent on the ball and made good decisions going forward. Similar to the game previously actually.

Although he's obviously not the long term future, he still can contribute and its other very poor players (Shaw, Lingard etc) that need turfing first imo

el3mel

He's harshly treated and criticized a lot here for no reason. He's of course past his best and not suitable for every game but still a useful player nevertheless and a good squad option to have with his experience in how to use the ball when he has it.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I'm prepared to receive pelters for this but I actually thought he looked alright against Arsenal. We were playing better with him on the pitch than when Mata came on, anyway.
Agree, created a decent chance for Pereira

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The guy needs to coach the youngsters on how you can dribble out of danger of a 3/4 player press with 0 accerlation/mobility. It's a talent.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I'm gonna say it. He's done physically and mobility wise, but he's leagues above Fred in terms of ball use, accuracy and ambition. Matic at least passes between the lines and pushes the play forward with his passes. Fred is a very busy and active player with certain upsides, but he's a poor user of the ball.
Agree, both not good enough

Paul_Scholes18

We are going to need him a lot now. Lots of big games around and we lack numbers in midfield badly.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He's harshly treated and criticized a lot here for no reason. He's of course past his best and not suitable for every game but still a useful player nevertheless and a good squad option to have with his experience in how to use the ball when he has it.
I agree with all this

Status
Not open for further replies.