Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red00012

Tired legs lead to tired tackles

I’ve a feeling he’ll start Fred Sunday

Red00012

I was listening to a podcast that Samuel Luckhurst was on and he said that, eventhough he's signed a new 3 year contract which was strange considering his age. United don't expect him to see it out.
Sell him for 10mill in the summer :D

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Another victims of schedule/lack of rotation

criticalanalysis

I'm a fan of Matic but feck meee today the amount of ball hogging and touches he took. Technically and positionally he's still very sound.

Pogba was poor today and seemed a bit off but I think part of that was just frustration with our shit tactics and patterns of play.

In a midfield two, our most gifted player on the ball has to drop deep, cover attacking runs and essentially be a cheer leading ball recycler. Our front three are devoid of any meaningful service against a deep defence and if Pogba wants to try and make something happen i.e get close to the edge of the box, he essentially has to vacate the centre of midfield.

Gawdful handling of minutes and rotation by Ole.

Your Freds, McTs, James, Ighalos should be firing on all cyclinders coming off the bench or starting games. Instead they're in terrible form and lack sharpness.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He's been garbage since the Villa game.

I've no idea why we keep picking him as he's offering nothing and causing the team more problems than half the opposition players we come up against.

I'm convinced part of the reason he looked so good immediately post lockdown was due to other teams not being at full match fitness, because ability wise he's fine but sharpness and speed/energy wise he looks like someone's dad playing in a school team.

We also already knew this is what happens with him so why we persist with playing him next to Pogba who himself plays the game in his own slow motion world is beyond me. It's just blind arrogance at this point. Any team with half a clue will run rings around them.

Devil may care

Nothing new here, he's needed replacing as a starter for a long time now.
How people are so naive regarding Matic is beyond me.

Every year since he's been here(and two last year at Chelsea from what I have seen), he starts the season well, just like he did after this restarts, and after just few games turns into slow immobile 50 year old lookalike Matic who is nowhere near the player he was at start of the season. Even our board bought it and gave him a new contract after three good games and couple of good games in first part of the season. Incredible stuff really, it's like people remember just last few games without remembering what happened in last few seasons.
Yep, it's been happening since his last couple of seasons at Chelsea, it was just less noticeable to some in the season he played with Kante as he did the running of two men. Matic is at a point where he should be a 20 game a season squad player, not an integral starter.

I was listening to a podcast that Samuel Luckhurst was on and he said that, eventhough he's signed a new 3 year contract which was strange considering his age. United don't expect him to see it out.
The thing is even if we sell him next summer, how much do they really think we'd get for a 33 year old Matic?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yep, it's been happening since his last couple of seasons at Chelsea, it was just less noticeable to some in the season he played with Kante as he did the running of two men. Matic is at a point where he should be a 20 game a season squad player, not an integral starter.

The thing is even if we sell him next summer, how much do they really think we'd get for a 33 year old Matic?
Your guess is as good as mine mate, but he's so unsuited to playing in a team that wants to play a progressive play style it's concerning. In defensive transition he's a liability and we'll end up adopting a rear guard approach against the big teams.

If Levy allows it, I'm sure Mourinho would take him.

Devil may care

Your guess is as good as mine mate, but he's so unsuited to playing in a team that wants to play a progressive play style it's concerning. In defensive transition he's a liability and we'll end up adopting a rear guard approach against the big teams.

If Levy allows it, I'm sure Mourinho would take him.
Yeah, people wanting Sancho and Grealish but we are leaving the back door open, Matic/Maguire/Lindelof is a defensive triangle that doesn't compliment each other at all and certainly doesn't lend itself to front foot football.

Unfortunately i think Dier signing that new contract would scupper that unless Mourinho is seeing Dier as a CB long term.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yeah, people wanting Sancho and Grealish but we are leaving the back door open, Matic/Maguire/Lindelof is a defensive triangle that doesn't compliment each other at all and certainly doesn't lend itself to front foot football.

Unfortunately i think Dier signing that new contract would scupper that unless Mourinho is seeing Dier as a CB long term.
The triangle of doom in defensive transition. A bit of give and take needs to happen in the transfer market or it's gonna be embarrassing in the champions league assuming we qualify.

Devil may care

The triangle of doom in defensive transition. A bit of give and take needs to happen in the transfer market or it's gonna be embarrassing in the champions league assuming we qualify.
That's the big concern, we are starting to see some CB links but still nothing in midfield, just this naive idea that Mctominay will take over the holding role.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
That's the big concern, we are starting to see some CB links but still nothing in midfield, just this naive idea that Mctominay will take over the holding role.
A DM and a CB should be targeted to help us impose ourselves on the opposition and play on the front foot IMO. The CB doesn't have to be world class but can also be a young potential world class CB with the correct attributes to push up when the high press is triggered. The same applies for the DM.

Devil may care

A DM and a CB should be targeted to help us impose ourselves on the opposition and play on the front foot IMO. The CB doesn't have to be world class but can also be a young potential world class CB with the correct attributes to push up when the high press is triggered. The same applies for the DM.
Agreed, we need to surround Maguire with some speed and mobility to compliment the strengths he does have, more and more teams are going to exploit that sloth like underbelly, especially if the plan is to continue to play Pogba and Bruno as pseudo #8's ahead a holding midfielder.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Agreed, we need to surround Maguire with some speed and mobility to compliment the strengths he does have, more and more teams are going to exploit that sloth like underbelly, especially if the plan is to continue to play Pogba and Bruno as pseudo #8's ahead a holding midfielder.
If Ole can bring in a DM and CB that will help us playe higher up the pitch we will be very close to challenging for the title IMO. But those two signings have to be correct ones, and doing so will change the whole dynamic of the team. Sancho, CB and DM and we will look a completely different team in the first phase of the build up.

Andersons Dietician

I can understand if you’re looking for an option hold on to the ball for a while but yesterday was taking the biscuit. just keep the ball moving. West Ham pretty much just dropped in to shape and pulled off a Gandolf.

Even when the option did show he’d eventually turn away from taking the risk. Maybe another one feeling less confident without having Shaw alongside him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He can't play 2-3 games in a week, he played well when he had a decent rest. I don't know why Ole all of a sudden stopped trusting Fred and McTominay. We are not gaining anything by playing Matic in every game. If his games are managed properly then at least we get a good midfielder, if we play him in every game we get a very poor midfielder.

Next game he shouldn't start, Fred should start and if we rely on seeing out the game then we should bring him on as a sub.

romufc

He has been crap every since he signed the new contract. Why do we always give contracts to players when they have 3/4 good games?

We need to start focusing on a long term plan rather than short term.

Matic can do a job in certain games, not all.

AneRu

Truth, we need to replace two players in that triangle and those two are Matic and Lindelof as we simply won't right off an £80m Maguire. Much as we want to sign players like Grealish, that defensive triangle is more important imo.

Not much can be said about any of our players at this point. The way we set up everything comes through our midfield. We have two world class players and Matic there but when they're all so tired there is very little movement and covering for any of them. Matic can't pass to them because neither of them can get away from their markers. I think he plays Sunday and we pray the young front 3 have enough time to properly recover.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
He was bad yesterday, but Pogba and Fernandes having off game as well didn't help.

There was situation(s) in second half where he would pick ball only to lack any passing options, since both Pogba and Bruno were nowhere to be seen and other players were already covered.

Never should've started against Chelsea, after Leicester match Ole must rest him and play Fred-McTominay in EL.

EasyE

I keep seeing this guy's name in moans from yesterday - it's unbelievable. He was literally the only one bothered in that midfield. As soon as you would see him intercept the ball covering for Brandon, he'd be up top right of the field carrying the ball in-between the lines towards Mason. Bruno was horrendous yesterday and was doing his usual CF zonal run around. The less said about Pogba the better. Absolute laziness. At one point in the second half I saw Nemanja run past Pogba to pick up his man, and then watch him run back past him to switch the play - all whilst Pogba had moved circa 2 metres with a lolloping walk. Incredible.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Matic at least showed for the ball yesterday. Lost count of the amount of times our CBs had the ball and Pogba just didn't wanna know. He'd just stand there and point to another player to pass too.

That being said, Matic and Pogba really slowed us down yesterday. We really need them to set the tempo in games like that, but both of them spent way too long on the ball.

Kostov

The guy is a good player but just got old and tired of the schedule. Thing is we are stupid for not planning on replacing him and if we go into next season relying on him then we might as well just fold that season as of now. CDM is one of the crucial positions in a team and we can't feck around, especially when his partner is Pogba who can have a very stinky low form. Matic needs to be a squad player while we bring in a quality first team CDM to compliment the team.

Mcking

Played well till he got contract, now he is back. Too many touches, completely slows down the game and barely makes any decent pass. What a shit player he has become after the contract. Fred should be playing.
I thought his passing was very good when he had the ball. He does take too many touches though, and I think we've moved too soon with the new contract.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I thought his passing was very good when he had the ball. He does take too many touches though, and I think we've moved too soon with the new contract.
I dont think his passing is good, he doesn't play any progressive passes, its just to retain possession; I don't have a problem with that if players releases the ball quickly and rely on more creative players to do the job, instead he takes too many touches, completely slows down the play, invite the opponent to close down and then puts other in trouble.

For example, if Bruno or Pogba takes too many touches it's fine, they will look for defense opening passes, Matic won't. He should release the ball quickly.

Siorac

I thought he played well in the first 10 minutes of the second half.

Let's not talk about what he did after that.

Andersonson

Between he and Pogba he was almost alone out there. He did the pressing, he tried to block shots he was getting the ball from the defence.

Pogba had a really bad game and it affected Matic

Mcking

I dont think his passing is good, he doesn't play any progressive passes, its just to retain possession; I don't have a problem with that if players releases the ball quickly and rely on more creative players to do the job, instead he takes too many touches, completely slows down the play, invite the opponent to close down and then puts other in trouble.

For example, if Bruno or Pogba takes too many touches it's fine, they will look for defense opening passes, Matic won't. He should release the ball quickly.
I was talking more about the West Ham game in isolation, but generally, you are right. Dunno if he was the same with Chelsea, but he's always been a ball hog with us. Not what I want from my most defensive midfielder.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Gone off the boil but I think we predicted that would happen when he's had to play so many games in such a short space of time, he's not got the legs to be playing 2/3 times a week.

Devil may care

If Ole can bring in a DM and CB that will help us playe higher up the pitch we will be very close to challenging for the title IMO. But those two signings have to be correct ones, and doing so will change the whole dynamic of the team. Sancho, CB and DM and we will look a completely different team in the first phase of the build up.
100% agreed, i think Bruno's impact papered over some cracks and Matic's brief spell of form sucked some in, sort the DM and CB axis out and it will see the whole team operate much more cohesively imo, it could even see more coming from the fullback's.

Freeney

Supports
Djibouti FC
3 year contract...
He dwells on the ball far too much, which is why we sometimes don’t beat the high press.

simplyared

Here we go again! Matic getting slaughtered. Replace him with Fred bla bla bla! He was nowhere near our worst player last night. He's our best DM by far. Yes maybe he gets tired after 60 mins but he puts a fecking good shift in. Love his attitude on the pitch. He plays with intent and authority can put it about and can put his stamp on a game. Always looking to start an attack, probing and trying to make things happen. Taking responsibility which is more than you can say about that little Brazilian who keeps the ball for 3 seconds and achieves very little.

poleglass red

Here we go again! Matic getting slaughtered. Replace him with Fred bla bla bla! He was nowhere near our worst player last night. He's our best DM by far. Yes maybe he gets tired after 60 mins but he puts a fecking good shift in. Love his attitude on the pitch. He plays with intent and authority can put it about and can put his stamp on a game. Always looking to start an attack, probing and trying to make things happen. Taking responsibility which is more than you can say about that little Brazilian who keeps the ball for 3 seconds and achieves very little.
he's 31, he plays holding mid, he doesn't run a lot, he's never been the type of defensive mid who tracks runners and makes last ditch tackles, he's not a box to box. He had a rest just before covid then came back, he had the covid break off and now he looks like he's been playing non stop all season. As a professional athlete at 31, why is fitness such an issue, he can't play 2 games in a week at a high level, come on, we have to expect more than that from a footballer, we are treating him like he's some kind of top footballer at 36-38 who we are trying to squeeze as much out of before he quits.He was poor yesterday as he has been for last couple of games. What he did yesterday which Pogba did also was slow our attacks down, they took too many touches, he also give away countless frees in dangerous areas, make a physical tackle and win the ball, that's your job. When fresh, yes he gives our mid a balance than the others don't, but on recent form he's a liability, he's not the only one mind you, but we are discussing him in this thread

mu4c_20le

"He's our best DM by far"

He's our only DM:nervous: I appreciate his contributions during this unbeaten run, but last night had me wondering if we should seriously consider nipping Partey from under the gunners noses.

tomaldinho1

Worth a cheeky bid for Kante. Get him behind Pogba as they play for France with Bruno ahead.

Classical Mechanic

I agree on the passing, he refuses so many passes in between the lines. He’s painfully one footed too which limits him.

R'hllor

Oh what a surprise, this place in nutshell, nothing is surprising about Matic thoo

Leicester 0:2 Man Utd

Master Yoda

Average first half, Motm in the 2nd. Solid performance. As you can see, a bit of rest can do wonders for this old timer. Beautiful pass to Martial which should have resulted in a goal, defensively Matic cleared alot of balls, most interceptions and top 2 tacklewise.

Status
Not open for further replies.